• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I new that first batch was a stop gap. Unless your card is very old I would stay away from these new ones too. The next 3000 series or whatever it will be called is what you really want. This whole 2000 series is not the one to invest in imo. Unless you have money to burn of course.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I new that first batch was a stop gap. Unless your card is very old I would stay away from these new ones too. The next 3000 series or whatever it will be called is what you really want. This whole 2000 series is not the one to invest in imo. Unless you have money to burn of course.
I feel like I have seen post like this for every upcoming nvidia release ,
Also I am assuming there wont be Ti version of super rtx 2080?

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
We'll see the next series during Q4 2020. It's almost assured at this point. They'll want to measure dicks with the new consoles, which will be 1/3 of the price of the best Nvidia.

We all know Nvidia is gonna Nvidia. The most interesting thing is Intel entering the fray next year. We haven't seen 3 card makers in what? 18 years?
Q4 2020? Sheesh, I hope Intel has something competitive, it's so frustrating coming from the CPU side where AMD have crushed Intel to see Nvidia get to mess around because no-one can compete.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Nobody thought that. As soon as the Radeons were revealed it was shown that there will be no competition for at least another year.

I think Nvidia just waited for AMD to fuck up again and then decided to continue the gouging.

3080 Ti for $2000 next year, hype.

I think the rumors may have had some basis in reality, but yeah, only the delusional thought it after the AMD unveil. Any plans for aggressive prices were lit on fire after the prices/specs that AMD showed. The only possible hope was if GPU shipments were awful and Nvidia needed to increase sales to appease the Wallstreet overlords.

It probably doesn't help that Lisa Su is Jensen Huang's niece. Would certainly make price collusion much easier to negotiate.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't know why people are expecting 30 series to be a lot better in perf/price gain than 20 series was over 10.
This was the case with 10 series because of clocks mostly. Clocks are very unlikely to significantly improve on 7nm due to a number of reasons.
The only hope is that the process costs will fall down enough to allow for similar performing 7nm GPUs to be used in cheaper cards - but as 5700/Navi launch shows this isn't the case yet and it's hard to say when or even if this will happen. All new processes are kinda crap in price/transistor and it will be like this from now on until the end of silicon scaling.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Am I too dumb to figure this out or are people not getting that this is just a price cut in disguise? At the end of the day people who wanted the 2080/2080Ti will be able to get the Super equivalents for less.

What's not to like?

curtismyhero

Aug 29, 2018
Reading the news on the pricing definitely helped 'cool off' my "buy it now" mentality for a potential 2080ti super. While I'm not expecting a huge jump in performance, I would love to see how much further the 2080ti super version can push ray tracing specific graphics before I decide to purchase. Long winded way of saying, I need to see some benchmarks stat! lol

vhyn

Nov 13, 2017
Possible RTX 2080 Ti Performance for RTX 2080 price sounds pretty good, despite these cards still being very expensive.
Would be a good time to build a Render Workstation.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
At the rate Nvidia's going the 3060 will be a $500 card.

I'm almost ready to say fuck this shit and go back to buying a console every couple years. I'll save a boatload of money doing so.

But what about those traced rays, high framerates and clean image qualities? Don't leave the master race!
/s

Yeah those prices definitely made me skip this gen of cards. But personally, I just can't go back to consoles only. I need to at least 60fps everything.

Oct 25, 2017
Don't forget the $60/year subscription fee on the consoles, that'll add up over time. But still, the RTX premium is the worst thing to happen to PC gaming.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017

I'm almost ready to say fuck this shit and go back to buying a console every couple years. I'll save a boatload of money doing so.
There's nothing wrong with 3060 being a $500 card - if it will perform as a 2080.
People pay way too much attention to product naming.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
welp there goes my interest in the Super lineup. I'll wait it out for Ampere/3000 series. Hope that releases before Cyberpunk

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
I've waited long enough. As much as a beast as the 980ti is its run its course and i'm not waiting for a 30xxti so a 2080ti Super will be more than enough to last me until at least a 4080ti

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I've waited long enough. As much as a beast as the 980ti is its run its course and i'm not waiting for a 30xxti so a 2080ti Super will be more than enough to last me until at least a 4080ti
I have similar mindset. Like the only reason im gonna build a new PC is because of cyberpunk. And im only gonna do it a month before release or so. So theres still time for next series after super, but if there isnt, im ok with super 2080ti or whatever. Its been 5 years since i had gaming pc so any kind of jump will be tremendous from my 780ti

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
If the Super 2060 is 8GB & 2070 levels of performance, i really don't know why you would go with the 5700 XT.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017

Since when do consoles come out every couple of years?

Not sure what you guys expected but a 2080 Super for $799 is almost like having a 2080Ti for that price. The VRAM is still plenty.

BAW

Oct 27, 2017
I predicted the first RTX cards would be short lived (I really did! Check my post history!) but even I did not expect it to happen THAT soon.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
The only hope is that the process costs will fall down enough to allow for similar performing 7nm GPUs to be used in cheaper cards

Price per mT hasn't been going down since 22nm so I highly doubt that.

This was the case with 10 series because of clocks mostly. Clocks are very unlikely to significantly improve on 7nm due to a number of reasons.

Maybe for CPUs. GPUs still have a lot of clock headroom between the supply and threshold voltages for frequency so one can assume they're gated by the critical path length. Lithography nodes will automatically bring down that critical path length and should let them boost frequency.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe for CPUs. GPUs still have a lot of clock headroom between the supply and threshold voltages for frequency so one can assume they're gated by the critical path length. Lithography nodes will automatically bring down that critical path length and should let them boost frequency.
7nm isn't great in clock increases all around. There are huge problems with self-heating and cross-talk, and these will get even worse on more dense nodes. Intel's woes with 10nm are mostly down to the fact of them not being able to reach nearly the same clocks as they are achieving on 14nm. So even despite there possibly being some headroom in GPU design for higher clocks, this headroom is actually getting smaller on newer production nodes which in turn mean that in place of NV and AMD I wouldn't spend much time trying to increase my GPU clocks right now.

Has someone a list of the original MSRP launch prices for the 2000 series?

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I noticed my GTX 1070 isn't cutting the mustard very well in terms of 1440p gaming. I almost bought an RTX 2070 yesterday. Thank god I stopped and read this. Guess I'll just drop shit down to 1080p until new cards come out.

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
Will these cards eventually drop the price of the current 20XX model? Or will the more expensive price to the Super cards keep them around the same?

Looking to get a 2060 or a 2070 to upgrade my AMD 290. I can do a $350 2060, but the cheaper the better.