• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
I need some HDMI2.1 newness in these, or waiting on next gen

Same here, HDMI 2.1 is my criteria for my next build so I can plug it into the living room and enjoy VRR and 4K at high frame rates on my future TV. My trusty 2500k+GTX680 will have to last me a bit longer, it had a great run.

Deleted member 25042

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The hell?
A 2070 Super and 2070 Ti Super? (guessing 2080 vanilla is EOL already because otherwise I don't see the point)
2080 11GB?

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For anyone that don't trust wccftech as a source Videocardz has also confirmed the Super series:

capturejrjnn.png

Videocardz is very reliable.

Sure I believe that there is a super series coming it's just that article/writing is some fanboy drivel on wccftech.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
I am kind of regretting my RTX 2070 purchase right now. I could have waited for the Super lineup. Even if they will be expensive in my country at least I could have grabbed 2070 on the cheap. Coming from 980ti, playing games on 1440P ultra-ish settings @60 fps is great and all but the only game I used my card's RTX capabilities was Metro.
I see you also have an RTX 2070 card.

We'll just wait it out, and see how often the cards get a refresh down the line.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I currently have an evga step up in on my 2070 to a 2080. Hoping they let me revise it to a 2080 super. I'm still on stage 1 queue/waiting list.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
That would be really cool tbh
I think that the RTX 2080Ti core reference on the new RTX 2080 Super in the wccftech specs table is misleading.

The most rumors I see have the TU104-450 chip for the RTX 2080 Super. That is the full TU104 chip with 3072 CUDA cores. For reference the RTX 2080 has 2944 CUDA cores. And also a speed increase for the VRAM. From 8GB 14Gbps to 8GB 16Gbps.

The RTX 2070 Super 2560 CUDA cores (from 2304). Same memory (capacity and speed).

The RTX 2060 Super 2176 CUDA cores (from 1920). 8GB VRAM from 6GB. Same speed (14Gbps).

dhlt25

Oct 27, 2017
damn, just bought my 2070 too. I wanted a 2080 with more vram, the super version would have been perfect for me :(

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
I think that the RTX 2080Ti core reference on the new RTX 2080 Super in the wccftech specs table is misleading.

The most rumors I see have the TU104-450 chip for the RTX 2080 Super. That is the full TU104 chip with 3072 CUDA cores. For reference the RTX 2080 has 2944 CUDA cores. And also a speed increase for the VRAM. From 8GB 14Gbps to 8GB 16Gbps.

The RTX 2070 Super 2560 CUDA cores (from 2304). Same memory (capacity and speed).

The RTX 2060 Super 2176 CUDA cores (from 1920). 8GB VRAM from 6GB. Same speed (14Gbps).

oh bummer. Then I might look at the 2070 Super or 2070 Ti and hope for a good price there. 11GB on the RTX 2080 would be a small game changer for me and increase my willingness to pay RTX prices

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
There will always be something better out if you just wait a bit more, but waiting is no fun ;)
I know. I'm just tired of these posts really. Anyone buying a higher end GPU should be ready for an even faster GPU coming out in less than a year - this is how it was pretty much always since the beginning of GPUs.

2080Ti has 4352 Cuda cores

People are expecting 2080 Super to be similar in performance despite having over 25% less cores though?
There's some conflicting info: some sources say that 2080 Super will use full TU104 chip (same as 2080) and have 8GBs VRAM, some point to it coming with a cut down TU102 chip (same as 2080Ti) and 11GBs.
I personally think it's very unlikely that NV will move TU102 into $700 price point. But who knows.

What the fuck are they talking about with the cards being unlocked???

Like they can be over clocked?

Duh.
There were higher and lower binned chips in 20 series, with higher ones getting an A postfix (TU104A, TU102A, etc). Presumably they mean that these chips will be of "A" variety from the start - but this is hardly something surprising or unexpected.

Deleted member 25042

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The bump in CUDA cores on the 2080 Super is pretty much meaningless performance wise.
The 2060 Super looks relatively good

Plasmid

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally, i can get a GPU for 2077. My 970 has served well o7

Minarik

Nov 9, 2017
Sigh, Nvidia gonna bury AMD again. Remember when AMD announced that garbage Fury and then Nvidia dropped the 980Ti at $650? That's what's happening here. I wish AMD could put out a competent GPU and save the market like they are doing on the CPU side.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
is it foolish to think that these will drop the prices of the current 2080's/2080Ti's?
Until the stock dries up maybe. I'm expecting these to supplant current 20 lineup. The real question is on which price points these "super" cards will launch? It would make little sense to launch them on the same prices which current 20 series retails on.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
The bump in CUDA cores on the 2080 Super is pretty much meaningless performance wise.
The 2060 Super looks relatively good
Well it is a refresh on the existing product line. We can't expect huge changes.

A small increase on CUDA cores, in some cases also faster or more VRAM and better prices.

That is not a bad refresh.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Super 2080 will hopefully be 599 for those specs, Nvidia know they can push 699 though, if it's 352+ bus with 11GB's it would be more acceptable, but paying 600 & over for 8GB's is not good enough.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
We will see what happens but my gut feeling these are all purely refresh cards to get pricing down. This will help keep amd at a distance. Amd better off trying to get that cpu share first because they have a better chance there than they do against Nvidia.

Deleted member 25042

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Well it is a refresh on the existing product line. We can't expect huge changes.

A small increase on CUDA cores, in some cases also faster or more VRAM and better prices.

That is not a bad refresh.

Oh I know I was just commenting on the fact that the CUDA core bump on the 2080 Super would do pretty much nothing to perf (the 2060/70 Super fare better in that respect at 11-13%)

Wouldn't be surprising if they're using the full TU104 as 2080 was already very close to it.
If they're using TU102, which I doubt, that bump is disappointing.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Same here, HDMI 2.1 is my criteria for my next build so I can plug it into the living room and enjoy VRR and 4K at high frame rates on my future TV. My trusty 2500k+GTX680 will have to last me a bit longer, it had a great run.

HDMI 2.1 and Witcher 3 performance above 60 fps at 4k is my requirement (2080 ti hits this, which is encouraging for future cards). Only downer is that 7nm cards may not see DP 1.5. Doubt the refreshes will change my plan and these new cards are what should have happened for last years launch.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I believe they meant full variants of their relevant TU10x chips. So all cores with no parts fused off for yields.

But in the same rumor they say the 2080 super is a cut down 2080 ti.

This whole article stinks imo.

I think that Nvidia is or was planning a refresh (I think it's odd they teased this weeks ago and still have not made an announcement), but I don't believe any of the information in this article other than Nvidia is/was planning a 20xx series refresh.

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is so fucking dumb. The pc video card market is really out of whack with Nvidia and AMD as the only players.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Sigh, Nvidia gonna bury AMD again. Remember when AMD announced that garbage Fury and then Nvidia dropped the 980Ti at $650? That's what's happening here. I wish AMD could put out a competent GPU and save the market like they are doing on the CPU side.
I honestly think Nvidia is worthy of their position, the prices may be high but I haven't been disappointed in any of my latest Nvidia cards. Haven't jumped in to RTX yet though so maybe that would change my mind.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I know. I'm just tired of these posts really. Anyone buying a higher end GPU should be ready for an even faster GPU coming out in less than a year - this is how it was pretty much always since the beginning of GPUs
Totally agree on this, and I like it that way, the PC gaming industry needs to push things forward as much as possible, nothing good comes from holding back releases.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
This is so fucking dumb. The pc video card is really whack with Nvidia and AMD as the only players.

ATi would have been so much better without AMD. AMD gave RTG next to no money post acquisition while Nvidia have plowed cash into R&D. AMD basically gave ATi the busywork of sticking GPUs onto CPU dies which ended up being a low value wide goose chase in the end.

The biggest problem in my opinion was that Terascale hung around for way too long. VLIW was sensible back in the fixed function era and would have been great for pre-DX9 but the scheduling proved too unwieldy in the DX9 and forward era. You need some pretty smart software people to cover for the deficiencies in Terascale, they ultimately couldn't do it, and they kept trying for way too long.

Then in GCN they tried to solve it by making it the anti-Terascale. Massive SIMD. All hardware scheduling, ALL THE TIME. Blows up so much silicon budget, you still have awful software (*cough* fine wine drivers *cough*) and your occupancy still sucks because you've made your architecture hack upon hack upon hack to try and fill the pipelines and those hacks can only go so far.

As far as I can see, ultimately this has to be laid at the feet of a faulty vision with some really bad assumptions. AMD spent a good decade working under the assumption that GPUs were going away. Come mid-2020s the idea would be that they could take a GPU command stream, a CPU command stream, have it all on the same die and basically run a giant stream of instructions and data through it.

There are two immediate problems with this approach.

1) One look at the memory subsystem of a typicaly x86 machine would tell you this is a fool's errand. The memory bandwidth is an order of magnitude too low.
2) How the hell do you get from A to B without everything imploding in the mean time?

But they tried and they tried valiantly but, in the end, in vain. Remember heterogeneous computing? Remember how AMD haven't uttered those words in the last five years? That didn't stop them though. Hell, they tried to bring in HBM2 to bring this vision back on track (get the memory bandwidth and interposer sorted, bring in a CPU die and voila! We have Frankenstein's x86 monster!) and all it did was cost them a fuckton of money and a generation of high end cards with zero margin.

Meanwhile, Nvidia just kept getting better at doing the core competency of a GPU through hard won R&D. Solving the bounding box problem of ray tracing was a ridiculously difficult problem but now Nvidia can hardware accelerate ray tracing! AMD? Raytracing? Meh. Have you seen our Ashes of the Singularity benchmark results?

If the GPUs were trains, AMD was trying to make a maglev and Nvidia decided to just keep improving steel on steel. Now AMD is left billions in the hole from their APU line with barely anything to show for it and Nvidia is selling their tech to the high end of town and making bank.

Last edited:

BAW

Oct 27, 2017
Veliladon, I think you meant to write high end cards instead of high end cars.

Also, AMD must be doing *something* right if their APUs are found in millions of consoles present and future from both major manufacturers.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
Also, AMD must be doing *something* right if their APUs are found in millions of consoles present and future from both major manufacturers.

The flippant answer is "They could make obsolete gear work together well enough for $100 a chip." You can basically look at the "Enterprise, Embedded and Semi-Custom" section of AMD's earning report and see how much of a dud that one is at making money. Gross margin for the segment is something like 5%. Which makes sense because Nvidia have said they passed on it because Sony didn't want to pay enough (how much of that is sour grapes is left as an exercise for the reader), Intel passed because they don't do custom design work, and nobody in the ARM space could get the same horsepower out of an ARM chip that you were able to get out of a low end x86 core back in 2013.

Guy.brush

Oct 27, 2017
Sitting this one out on my 1080 Ti.
Probably building a new rig in 2020. Intel Comet Lake 8+/10+ Core i9 on 10nm and a Nvidia 3070/3080 Ti on 7nm Samsung should be a real upgrade.
These recent offerings from Intel with the 9900KS and now this feels like rebranded, tweaked/unlocked/maxed OC of existing tech.

Jul 26, 2018
Yea.... I'm just gonna wait for the 3000 series at this point. I've bought the 2070 for my first gaming PC last November, and it still pleases me at 1440p especially that I actually don't use ray tracing.

i've always wanted SLI but it seems to become irrelevant too sadly.. I'm already craving a 3080 TI SLI for my next upgrade... mmmmmm

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Won't happen until Ampere next year. This is a refresh, the chips - and their features - will be essentially the same.

They sell them for a dollar. Also they have both high performance CPUs and GPUs - something which none other player on the market has right now.