• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pitou

Oct 25, 2017
lmao thank god I bought a PS5. don't even want to see what canadian pricing is on these. barf

Pheonix Will

Sep 6, 2021
Fucking hell, guess I'm waiting on the 7 series and see if the 3xxx series drops in price further. No way I'm condoning that price.

arrado

Jan 1, 2020
Yeah these euro price are a scam. 4080 12GB is a 4070 and they are asking more than €1000 for that.
I'll stick to 3080

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Ouch. At those prices, those ex-crypto 3000 series castoffs are looking like a better idea.

Are those 2x-4x numbers based on the use of DLSS or is that raw power increase?

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Most generations see, what, a 30% performance increase? 50% at best? We're supposed to believe these are literally 200-400% faster than the 30-series?

May 25, 2019
London
The prices are insane but also - I have all the performance I can handle right now on a 3070 Ti. I play at 1440p and it's been great. I can't fathom who would need more than a 3080 currently

Geinrendour

Jun 3, 2018
FdG_1PfakAMAXTV

4090 only like 1.5x faster than the 3090 Ti in some titles. Pretty sure it'll only be worth it for the benefits in RT titles.
Funniest thing for me is the footnotes saying it's all DLSS at performance mode. Not quality, not even balanced. Seems like DLSS 3 is just a marketing rebranding.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Soooo….. DLSS 3.0 has motion interpolation? Isn't that really bad for input lag?

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
UK prices:

- 4090: £1,679.00
- 4080 (16GB): £1,269.00
- 4080 (12GB): £949.00

The 12gb 4080 is basically a 4070 in all but name, the performance is worse than the 3090ti in some games and they are charging these kind of prices?

Def sticking with my 3080 for the foreseeable future.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Ouch. At those prices, those ex-crypto 3000 series castoffs are looking like a better idea.

Are those 2x-4x numbers based on the use of DLSS or is that raw power increase?

absolutely DLSS , the chart linked earlier literally compares DLSS 3 (4000 series) vs DLSS 2(3000 series) performance.

bigumbrella

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 16, 2022
My 3080 tuf I got 2 years ago at $750 looking like quite the purchase. Probably not upgrading until there's a 5070 or Radeon 8800 that has more vram than my 3080. So looking at probably 5 years out of a 3080. Not bad.

Tbh a 6950 or 3090 at $1k right now even seems like a good purchase option for folks. More vram than a 4080 and probably not all that much slower at 4k.

If AMD can price a 16gb 7800 at $800 or less and it's faster than a 6950 they might have a real winner.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
tfw dlss 3 comes out and game devs still put out pc ports with only fsr
This is true, but for games with support you'll be getting orders-of-magnitude more performance than all alternatives.

And without any image reconstruction, you'll still be brute forcing through the raw raster performance.

But that pricing though...

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Shout-out to those GBP prices, think I'm gonna hold off for a bit, see if I can snag a decent 3080 Ti

Last edited:

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Funniest thing for me is the footnotes saying it's all DLSS at performance mode. Not quality, not even balanced. Seems like DLSS 3 is just a marketing rebranding.

Yeah, it's a joke, basically using AI motion interpolation at DLSS performance mode to boost raster/RT performance and then slapping a double premium on the cards.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
If dlss 3 is 4000 exclusive and it leads to no more updates to dlss 2 that would be a major bummer.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
I'm still fucking pissed, it's absolutely insane that we've come to a point where one component in your PC costs more than what my whole build cost 2 years ago....and I have a 3070. I know we're talking about top of the crop, but it doesn't matter, it's an absolute negative for the PC building market and at this point I doubt I'll ever tell someone to build a PC over buying a console, hell I'm already looking at PS5 bundles again. My best friend told me "wait for the benchmarks", completely missing the point, it doesn't matter if it outperforms every other card by 30000%, the fact that they decided to price it the way they did just shows pure greed on their end. I was team Nvidia my whole 20+ year gaming life, but I really do hope AMD fucking punches them in the guts with their pricing, although seeing how fucking rotten every company has become, I highly doubt we'll see any competetive pricing.

b0uncyfr0

Apr 2, 2018
Europeans are screwed.

Also fuck the 12GB 4080 - its not even a full 4080.

This is some clown world shit.

ABeezy1388

Apr 5, 2018
How does a 3090 F.E. Stack up against 40 series?I always have a very severe case of fomo with technology

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
More information on the new upcoming Cyberpunk 2077 RT features

www.nvidia.com

GeForce News: NVIDIA DLSS 3

Supports Over 35 RTX Games & Apps
Cyberpunk 2077's neon-illuminated environments are key to its aesthetic, and with the new Ray Tracing: Overdrive Mode their level of detail is taken to the next level:
  • NVIDIA RTX Direct Illumination (RTXDI) gives each neon sign, street lamp, car headlight, LED billboard and TV accurate ray-traced lighting and shadows, bathing objects, walls, passing cars and pedestrians in accurate colored lighting
  • Ray-traced indirect lighting and reflections now bounce multiple times, compared to the previous solution's single bounce. The result is even more accurate, realistic and immersive global illumination, reflections, and self-reflections
  • Ray-traced reflections are now rendered at full resolution, further improving their quality
  • Improved, more physically-based lighting removes the need for any other occlusion techniques
Supporting the new Ray Tracing: Overdrive Mode are several new NVIDIA technologies that greatly accelerate and improve the quality of advanced ray tracing workloads, for even faster performance when playing on GeForce RTX 40 Series graphics cards:
  • Shader Execution Reordering (SER) reorders and parallelizes the execution of threads that trace rays, without compromising image quality.
  • Opacity Micromaps accelerate ray tracing workloads by encoding the surface opacity directly onto the geometry, drastically reducing expensive opacity evaluation during ray traversal, and enabling higher quality acceleration structures to be constructed. This technique is especially beneficial when applied to irregularly-shaped or translucent objects, like foliage and fences. On GeForce RTX 40 Series graphics cards, the Opacity Micromap format is directly decodable by ray tracing hardware, improving performance even further.
  • NVIDIA Real Time Denoisers (NRD) is a spatio-temporal ray tracing denoising library that assists in denoising low ray-per-pixel signals with real-time performance. Compared to previous-gen denoisers, NRD improves quality and ensures the computationally intensive ray-traced output is noise-free, without performance tradeoffs.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
the problem for AMD isn't pure performance. they are pretty competitive there. but AMD can't keep up with the ML stuff. DLSS, RTX, etc. Their software just isn't at that level yet. And until it is (if it ever is) they won't be the best option.

their software is fine. The reason why they have lower RTX performance is because of a lack of dedicated hardware, if anything. And FSR is extremely impressive for what it is, much easier to implement and widely supported than DLSS.