• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
videocardz.com

NVIDIA rumored to introduce GPU architecture named after Ada Lovelace - VideoCardz.com

According to the rumors, NVIDIA might be reshaping its roadmap. NVIDIA Hopper delayed, Ada Lovelace coming sooner? It is rumored that NVIDIA might be delaying its multi-chip design known as Hopper to introduce a new monolithic series called Lovelace. There is some confusion around the name...
There is some confusion around the name, because internally NVIDIA uses 'ADxxx' for the GPU codenames, while externally it is rumored to be called Lovelace, named after Ada Lovelace, a British mathematician.

According to @kopite7kimi, NVIDIA might be pushing its Hopper back and it is likely to introduce new Lovelace architecture on 5nm first. At this moment it is unclear who would manufacture the new GPU architecture. Both Samsung and TSMC are already capable of manufacturing 5nm chips.

Ada Lovelace had already appeared on the NVIDIA t-shirt known as 'Company of Heroes'. It is actually a good indicator of who could be the future Hero and end up as a new architecture name for upcoming graphics cards:
NVIDIA-GTC2018-Heroes.jpg

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
Funniest thing is the incel comments that are like:
"Why is Nvidia bringing POLITICS!! Into Muh pc hardware"
c61.png

I dont get these peoples thought process...

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what this implies. Hopper taking longer than expected to develop? Increasing competition from AMD (and possibly Intel) forces them to give an earlier response? I'm also curious to see if they'll go to TSMC for this one. Samsung was supposedly having issues with 5nm yields.

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
I've seen a real non-ironic internet comment about not wanting to buy a Turing card because y'know Turing was "so LGBT". Some people just aren't right in the head.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully with more VRAM this time around. 10GB VRAM already pushing its limit for me with my 3080
Nice first post. Where do 10GB "push their limits" exactly?

I wonder what this implies. Hopper taking longer than expected to develop? Increasing competition from AMD (and possibly Intel) forces them to give an earlier response? I'm also curious to see if they'll go to TSMC for this one. Samsung was supposedly having issues with 5nm yields.
This implies nothing. Plans change all the time. Hopper can't be "delayed" because it never had any release date associated with it.

Shifty360

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 3, 2020

Nvidia are the market leaders and also set the trends so to speak as things stand, AMD is a very, very distant second and Intel doesn't register ... not in the areas where Nvidia makes it's money.

As others have said, this is internally mandated.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
There has to be a Leon Kennedy joke here somewhere, but i feel like it would be disrespectful.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
c61.png

I wonder where all these chuds were back in 2005 when Nvidia had the Curie architecture. Or if maybe they just put their fingers in their ears and pretended it was named after Pierre Curie.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Ultrawide and 4k native for current games are close to saturating the 10GB of VRAM, Doom Eternal was one of the titles I have seen mentioned running into this issue.
There is a thread on ERA that explores many of those issues. The conclusion is that games allocated as much VRAM as possible yet don't fully use it. I think some of the worst games was like control with 7GB. The conclusion basically was that no game wasn't using most of the 10GB VRAM much less requiring bigger VRAM.
The creator even took the time to explain how to do the test yourself.

I'd imagine tor each those sizes of VRAM maybe it would require a shit ton of mods full of assets?

[edit] found the thread

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
There is a thread on ERA that explores many of those issues. The conclusion is that games allocated as much VRAM as possible yet don't fully use it. I think some of the worst games was like control with 7GB. The conclusion basically was that no game wasn't using most of the 10GB VRAM much less requiring bigger VRAM.
The creator even took the time to explain how to do the test yourself.

I'd imagine tor each those sizes of VRAM maybe it would require a shit ton of mods full of assets?

[edit] found the thread
Thanks for linking the thread, I'll check it out. Having an ultrawide monitor this has been one of the few things that's been giving me doubts over going with a 3080 in 2021

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
So MCM Hopper a generation later?
Greedy old me is okay with that, because I was imagining Hoppers MCM bringing a ton of performance and giving me super buyers remorse considering I very rarely (never) by Gen on Gen GPUs.
But with Hopper delayed for a generation Ill skip "lovelace" and go to Hopper whenever that drops.

Hopefully with more VRAM this time around. 10GB VRAM already pushing its limit for me with my 3080

Really.

What games/programs are you using that eat up that 10GB of VRAM that wouldnt have been tanked by simply not being powerful enough rather than lacking VRAM.
If you were/are a render artist chances are you would have opted for dual 2080Tis or a 3090?
In fact right now if CUDA was your thing out-of-core rendering would have made the "low" VRAM not really an issue.
Heck lest you actually needed CUDA or Optix a 6800XT would likely have been a hell of a good bet if VRAM was the problem

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Jesus are we really still debating the difference between required VRAM and reserved VRAM?
TBF i am mostly a "console" gamer but i use a PC. i don't think i'll ever take the time to understand PC intricacies such as overclock and the difference between reserve and aloccatted VRAM.
THat is why i'm really thankful Darktalon to create a thread that says that 10GB is fine. It is heros like these that allow me to stay on PC isntead of being forced into the anti-costumer console hardware.

Soundchaser

Oct 25, 2017
Ada Lovelace had already appeared on the NVIDIA t-shirt known as 'Company of Heroes'. It is actually a good indicator of who could be the future Hero and end up as a new architecture name for upcoming graphics cards:
With Nvidia's emphasis on AI I'm surprised John McCarthy is not on this list.

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
Yeah I was happy to get a 3080 for about half the price of a 2080ti so I jumped in, I'll worry about the 10gb three years later.
I'd very confidently say that 10GB of VRAM is not going to be a problem anytime soon. I'm not even worried about the 8GB on a 3070, though that card is less likely to be playing games at 4k in most cases.

Deleted member 34714

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
All this talk of Vram has a funny history.

970 got so much flack over being sold as 4GB but being only 3.5GB of usuable ram and ended up being on the pedestal of big leagues like 8800GT and 9800 pro IMO.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I'm running out of computing power before vram limits in many cases.

MCM always seemed like a 2024+ in the back of my mind, earlier for HPC cards, so I'm not too surprised by this rumor.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I'm thinking Nvidia is also waiting on HBM Next (HBM3?) which is meant to be released in late 2022, before releasing Hopper.

www.tweaktown.com

Micron unveils HBMnext, the successor to HBM2e for next-next-gen GPUs

Micron unveils next generation HBMnext memory, which we thought would've been HBM3 -- with a huge 3.2Gbps of bandwidth on tap.
www.kitguru.net

Micron reveals HBMnext, planned to release in 2022 - KitGuru

In a Micron Tech Brief, the company has confirmed the launch of the successor to HBM2E, named HBMnex
www.pcgamer.com

An ‘ultra-bandwidth’ successor to HBM2e memory is coming but not until 2022

It will be a while before high-end GPUs adopt the next-gen memory standard.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Ultrawide and 4k native for current games are close to saturating the 10GB of VRAM, Doom Eternal was one of the titles I have seen mentioned running into this issue.
Doom Eternal "runs into the issue" when you set the streaming pool for textures to Ultra Nightmare in 5K and above. 4K is completely fine - there's a slow down with UN texture pool but 3080 still manages to be faster than either 2080Ti or 6800XT there.
What it means is that you're using a wrong setting since you're lowering the performance with nearly zero quality improvement.
Considering that the game is designed to run from last gen consoles slow HDDs you can most certainly use a smaller streaming buffer on PC when running the game from an SSD with zero quality loss.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
I'm thinking Nvidia is also waiting on HBM Next (HBM3?) which is meant to be released in late 2022, before releasing Hopper.

www.tweaktown.com

Micron unveils HBMnext, the successor to HBM2e for next-next-gen GPUs

Micron unveils next generation HBMnext memory, which we thought would've been HBM3 -- with a huge 3.2Gbps of bandwidth on tap.
www.kitguru.net

Micron reveals HBMnext, planned to release in 2022 - KitGuru

In a Micron Tech Brief, the company has confirmed the launch of the successor to HBM2E, named HBMnex
www.pcgamer.com

An ‘ultra-bandwidth’ successor to HBM2e memory is coming but not until 2022

It will be a while before high-end GPUs adopt the next-gen memory standard.

I doubt it. Nvidia doesn't like spending money on memory - they always use smaller buses and less memory than AMD. RX6000 is a bit of an exception due to the Infinity Cache, but I still think it would be uncharacteristic for Nvidia to splurge on HBM of any kind on consumer cards unless they really have no other answer to the Infinity Cache

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

What?
Where and Who?
I cant believe thats even possible is it some hidden incel forum on 4chan or something.....because no way someone says that anywhere even remotely public.

Because:
516FSFNQSKL._AC_SX466_.jpg

Marie-cutie.jpg

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
What?
Where and Who?
I cant believe thats even possible is it some hidden incel forum on 4chan or something.....because no way someone says that anywhere even remotely public.

Because:
516FSFNQSKL._AC_SX466_.jpg

Marie-cutie.jpg
Unfortunately stuff like that is very common. Especially on youtube and reddit.

On the r/hardware thread of this article there were even people concern trolling that she stole her calculations from a man.