• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
from Nvidia's truncated GTC (and I think GDC) content, a look at how Saber Interactive made The Witcher 3 into Switcher 3.

GTC 2020: Witcher III on the Nintendo Switch: GPU & Memory Optimization

A lot of old and new games are ported to Nintendo Switch; this talk will show that Switch is a capable platform that can run even the most demanding today’s games with little loss in fidelity. We describe in detail CPU, Memory and Build size optimizations and tradeoffs we made during the...

• upon starting, CPU game thread was 91ms
  • CPU render thread with gpu wait time - 260ms
  • GPU frame time 200ms
  • 5GB of memory
  • 46GB file size
  • cloth physics moved from CPU to GPU
  • Switch supports cuda natively
  • audio was converted to Opus format
  • the Opus decoder on switch handles 20 sounds simultaneously
  • used oodle for asset compression as it was faster at decompressing than lz4
  • used the sound streaming system developed for Cyberpunk 2077 to help save memory
  • has 3 languages on cart instead of 4, used lower quality compression for lipsync
  • final build size was 28GB
  • 15 months of development
  • SWitcher was literally the internal project name
also some choice quotes that probably came from the initial leak thread

wFgT5Qg.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Switch supports cuda-based gpu code, which Saber thinks that could be beneficial for UE4, cpu-bound gamed

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
This thread is an excellent reminder for when people begin making predictions about the power of the soon to be released consoles.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
"A lot of old and new games are ported to Nintendo Switch; this talk will show that Switch is a capable platform that can run even the most demanding today's games with little loss in fidelity."

TW3 is an impressive technical accomplishment on Switch but come on Nvidia, I wouldn't go that far.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still can't believe that it's real. My fucking PS4 struggled to run this game when it launched.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
even on already released consoles, people will still make stupid claims
The strange thing is no one ever remembers all the horrible past predictions and is ready to all in with knives out on things that none of us really understand and yet are still prepared to fight to the death to.

The cycle continues!

OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
finished the "summary". there's a lot missing, because it's a rather technical talk. tried to get what I though was easily understandable

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People often say that the power difference can't be used as an excuse to not port games to Switch since TW3 is on it but

15 months of development

15 months on a single port is absolutely not something most publishers or dev could afford while still attempting to make a profit. It's a huge amount of time for a downport. Now, TW3 on NSW likely made that up since it apparently sold pretty well and was heavily promoted by Nintendo, but still.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully people downplaying the port will not come here to...downplay the port.
Last time i was this impressed was playing BOTW in a fucking Wii u

Jan 21, 2019
To be honest, I find software optimization cooler and crazier than hardware jump. Like imagine we never parted with the PS2 people would've created the craziest solutions to eek out the last drop of power. Obviously I love tech jumps and want always more, I just love it when hardware is pushed to it's limit no matter what the hardware is.
This also shows that hardware power alone is useless if the software is not pushing it. This is why I love consoles: fixed hardware over a long period means a steady playground that nurtures software advancements.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
People often say that the power difference can't be used as an excuse to not port games to Switch since TW3 is on it but

15 months on a single port is absolutely not something most publishers or dev could afford while still attempting to make a profit. It's a huge amount of time for a downport. Now, TW3 on NSW likely made that up since it apparently sold pretty well and was heavily promoted by Nintendo, but still.

Because TW3 made a shit ton of money so they can basically make whatever they want.

OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, I find software optimization cooler and crazier than hardware jump. Like imagine we never parted with the PS2 people would've created the craziest solutions to eek out the last drop of power. Obviously I love tech jumps and want always more, I just love it when hardware is pushed to it's limit no matter what the hardware is.
This also shows that hardware power alone is useless if the software is not pushing it. This is why I love consoles: fixed hardware over a long period means a steady playground that nurtures software advancements.
I read here that the PS2 had mesh shaders similar to what Microsoft is pushing for DX12U. Wonder how things would have changed if it took off

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
I read here that the PS2 had mesh shaders similar to what Microsoft is pushing for DX12U. Wonder how things would have changed if it took off
PS2 didn't have shaders but it did all geometry transforms on the CPU using one of it's vector co-processors (VPU1, specifically) so it was highly programmable, more so than it's hardware accelerated contemporaries. Wouldn't be surprised if it could do something similar to mesh shaders.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
This is one of the reasons why I'm happy that generations have been longer since PS360. The stuff achieved late gen is so impressive.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017

...but still it was worth it. Playing The Witcher 3 on Switch is a marvel and even with the compromises, a lot of people can see its value especially now with the ability to sync Steam/GOG saves.

It's funny how much they saved by removing reserved caches reserved for data streaming. I always did think that optimal compression and efficient core usage were the key to well performing Switch titles. Seems like there are many more things that can be offloaded to CUDA than expected to lighten the load on the CPU.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
15 months of development? Kudos to the team. They've done a great job.

( Still remember when someone was pushing the narrative that in order to port a game to the switch you just need to "push a button" )

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2019
Well, the Switcher is literally not just a port, it's more like a version, kind of like comparing Street Fighter 2 SNES with the Arcade original

And yeah, there was compromises but the experience is the same, the game keeps a playable framerate, nothing has been cut content wise, and there were even improvements in the last update.

It's an achievement not only worth mentioning, but worth boasting about. Not "just a port"

I'm watching this later. It's going to be very interesting.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, it's great if thanks to this other developers start offloading CPU tasks onto the CUDA cores to compensate for the lack of CPU muscle, but 15 months for a port is simply not feasible for 95% of teams. They can probably pitch a new game and do quite a bit of development in that time if the game isn't a triple A.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

There's another variable needed to determine how costly the porting process was, namely the number of programmers working on the port. Did they say anything about that?

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There's another variable needed to determine how costly the porting process was, namely the number of programmers working on the port. Did they say anything about that?

Yeah 15 months for a port probably isn't all that expensive when you consider it's a much smaller team.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
It's probably comparable to DQXI S in terms of timeframe. Although that game likely had a bigger staff since there would be designers for the new content. It'd be good to know exactly how large the actual port team was on The Switcher, might be a better business model than you'd think for proven massmarket AAA ports.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Playing through it right now. It's an impressive port, no doubt. Playing a game like Witcher 3 on a portable is pretty crazy.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK

( Still remember when someone was pushing the narrative that in order to port a game to the switch you just need to "push a button" )
That was the head of UE4 development, and yes it is very easy to port a piece of software to the Switch and get it running. The difficulty is optimising and getting it to run well (i.e. not 2 fps); that said for most indie games that dont push the graphical envelope its usually a very simple affair if its on UE4 or Unity. I've heard a few dev tales where it only took a few days to get the majority of the work done. No one would expect that of a big AAA project though, well.. some people on here maybe...

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

yep. That's also why most EA games aren't on Switch yet. Porting Frostbite to Switch is most certainly no easy task. Same with Ubisoft's Snowdrop engine.

I'd like to see more involvement from Nintendo to get some of these engines running on the Switch. Same way MS worked to get PUBG optimized for Xbox and how Cerny worked as a producer on Spider-Man PS4 to help ease the process.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
yep. That's also why most EA games aren't on Switch yet. Porting Frostbite to Switch is most certainly no easy task. Same with Ubisoft's Snowdrop engine.

I'd like to see more involvement from Nintendo to get some of these engines running on the Switch. Same way MS worked to get PUBG optimized for Xbox and how Cerny worked as a producer on Spider-Man PS4 to help ease the process.

There's multiple Snowdrop games on Switch, including one of its big exclusives.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
All Ubisoft's major engines are Switch compatible now (Anvil, Snowdrop, UbiArt). Nintendo shouldn't lift a finger to get any proprietary EA engine running on their platform. I'm not sure if any proprietary 3rd party engine is really worth it generally tbh, maybe RE Engine?

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017

This is the narrative of Posters on era for any game, port or AAA. Game Dev is ez according to all the backseat designers on this board.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
All Ubisoft's major engines are Switch compatible now (Anvil, Snowdrop, UbiArt). Nintendo shouldn't lift a finger to get any proprietary EA engine running on their platform. I'm not sure if any proprietary 3rd party engine is really worth it generally tbh, maybe RE Engine?
Wouldn't call UbiArt a major engine anymore lol

Was that Rayman Apple Arcade game even in UbiArt?

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
I don't think 15 months is out of scope for a port... it's not THAT long... though likely longer than usual.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
I don't think 15 months is out of scope for a port... it's not THAT long... though likely longer than usual.

Keep in mind the team size for a port is many times smaller than a development team from ground up. Even for a long time like this, the returns are big even with modest sales.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
Switcher 3 was the second best selling Switch game in Russia during first two months of 2020, so it was worth it at least for this country

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
It seems longer than some studios are willing to do. I might need to pick it up.

Edit: I hope it doesn't come off as lazy dev rhetoric, some of the ports we have been getting are amazing. I think Fallout 4 could do well on the Switch as well.

Last edited:

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Switcher 3 was the second best selling Switch game in Russia during first two months of 2020, so it was worth it at least for this country
Also Witcher 3 saw an increase of 554% last December compared to December 2018 in US and almost 500% of that growth was due to the Switch version.

Last edited:

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing what people can accomplish when they have talent, time, support and will.