• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
During the Q&A session, Jensen Huang was asked about GPU prices. His response was very telling.

"Moore's Law is dead. […] A 12-inch wafer is a lot more expensive today. The idea that the chip is going to go down in price is a story of the past," said Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang.

Huang instead focused on price points, pointing to the large performance increases Nvidia is said to offer with RTX 40-series cards. This was in the context of the previous generation, comparing a card like the RTX 3090 Ti and the increase that a card like the RTX 4090 can offer over it. That largely ignores that the previous generation is, well, the previous generation, though.

"The 3080 was, and still is, great value, and it will continue to live on," an Nvidia spokesperson said in another briefing, nothing that it was far from dead.

Sauce: https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/nvidia-says-falling-gpu-prices-are-over/

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Hopefully people buying Nvidia GPUs becomes a story of the past too. They deserve to eat their stock.

Not buying a GPU at those prices. I don't care about your arguments. Figure it out. Or don't, and lose money. Don't care

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Then I hope Nvidia will be a story from the past too.

Lo-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
New Yawk City!
Then so is buying products from Nvidia if they're going to break budgets. Who elected Jensen as my finance minister? Pfft. If they want to price me out of PC gaming, cool.

[Edit: I'm also not going to be shifty and concede I am an AMD boy. This is partially why. Let's see if AMD goes HAM on me and leaves me with a 'Dear Broke John' letter lol]

Like... I know Nvidia is the standard and I realize life isn't so peachy in a market like this with all the tumult of the last few years, but none of it matters if their prices are flat-out unbearable. It doesn't matter. Blood from a stone. If Nvidia (or AMD) can't make products fitting my budget in the future, that's ultimately fine.

Last edited:

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't fly when they've priced the 4090 at 2k€. They can fuck off.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
This man is so far up his own fucking ass he can taste food

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
I made the switch to PC gaming in 2004, with these bullshit prices, console gaming is looking damn good right now...

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes I wonder if the reason the Switch 2 doesn't come out already is because of Nvidia trying to scalp the heck out of Nintendo lol.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Until competition forces them to lower their price point.

Console gaming FTW BTW.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'll be looking hard at AMD next go around. Either that or just stick to used GPUs.

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
Inflation and supply chain issues won't last forever, production costs not falling YoY forever is not indicative of much

Oct 26, 2017
I mean we all know that even with these prices they're going to sell out. Nvidia knows that a sucker is born every minute of every day.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
This big-headed move has got to be why EVGA stopped working with them. I assume these prices are making it harder for other companies to have any sort of profit margin. Time for the big guy to take a trip in the dirt.

There's no way these prices are so high only because of the cost of production. I don't believe it
"The 3080 was, and still is, great value, and it will continue to live on," an Nvidia spokesperson said in another briefing, nothing that it was far from dead

This reeks of "you can still play the xbox 360" Mr. Don Mattrick.

Last edited:

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Good luck selling a 192 bit-wide memory bus card for $900 when that usually only goes for the $250-350 cards...

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Ah yes, new cards are more powerful than the previous ones so the prices should be higher, logic checks out. So in 10 years a GPU should cost about 10 or 15000$. Got it.

Last edited:

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Half true, the other half is they want to clear their 3000 series stock and that stock is competing with cheap second hand cards. One of my mates picked up a 3070 for like 500 bucks, which is cheap in Australia.

Heysoos

Prophet of Truth
Nov 3, 2017
Lmao fuck em. I'm good on upgrading for a while but hope AMD comes out swinging.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
GeForce GPUs only make up some of their revenue. They're going to keep raising prices until they literally can't move stock. They're going to find the highest number they possibly can, they have server space and AI stuff they can cover their ass with.

Oct 27, 2017
peaxes-gif.234414

Pullin a Marlo

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
3090ti launched for $2000 and is now being sold for $1100 and that card is only 6 months old.

Shows how much price gouging Nvidia has been doing.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Okay, Nvidia. No GPU upgrade for me then at these insane prices for the next decade or so.

And I'm fine with it thanks to the huge selection of games releasing these days that do not require the newest overpriced hardware :)

Also, I think the demand part of the market knows better than you, mr ceo.

modsbox

Oct 28, 2017
I hope EVGA does a good deal with AMD or Intel (or both) and starts selling cards that perform great for like 1/4th of the price.

Nvidia is being ridiculous, that mining money wasn't going to last forever and I'm not going to spend 3 PS5s on a video card that's 25% faster. Also those 2 4080s are NOT the same card, not even close. It's ridiculous that they're trying to get away with that.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
The sad thing is that people will prove him right, because we all know that their GPU's will sell (out) either way.

Screw this current economy.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I made the switch to PC gaming in 2004, with these bullshit prices, console gaming is looking damn good right now...

That's where I'm at with it. $500 for a Series X or a PS5 just becomes a better and better value the more arrogant Nvidia gets with their pricing models.

A lot of this just seems like hubris because they regret not pricing the 3000 series cards higher amid the crypto rush and now they want to price their cards higher based on that. Except now the miners have largely left and they're trying to squeeze PC gamers - who have alternatives.

It's just terrible for PC gamers as a whole.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
The sad thing is that people will prove him right, because we all know that their GPU's will sell (out) either way.

Screw this current economy.
I think a lot of dumb ass scalpers will buy them out at first, but realise they are competing with cheap flooded 3000 series cards.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019

They're not doing that now though. Without crypto the market has soundly rejected the 3090 series at its MSRP, which is why they have to be dumped now at a loss.

The only way the 4090 sells out without crypto is if they make so few of them to begin with.

I hope EVGA does a good deal with AMD or Intel (or both) and starts selling cards that perform great for like 1/4th of the price.

Nvidia is being ridiculous, that mining money wasn't going to last forever and I'm not going to spend 3 PS5s on a video card that's 25% faster. Also those 2 4080s are NOT the same card, not even close. It's ridiculous that they're trying to get away with that.

EVGA is out of GPU's for a while, if not permanently. As for AMD, past history does not give one hope that they will severely undercut Nvidia, even if their market share position would demand it.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
LOL forget them. As much as I like their products, the pricing on these is indefensible. Just like the 3080 12GB's lack of an MSRP, and the 3080 Ti's $1200 MSRP, it is just that they want the extra money instead of watching it go to scalpers.

Cali32

Oct 11, 2020
We have a product for people who can't afford a €2,000 GPU, it's called the RTX 3080.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017

My understanding was that they just don't want to do GPUs anymore, the margins are too low.

Anyway, I sure hope AMD shakes things up a bit, but I doubt it. I expect slightly wore cards than Nvidia without their big new features, and only slightly lower prices which will probably translate to ~1000€ for an entry level card.

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
Govts coming down on inflation HARD. Recessions surely coming in multiple markets. And crypto finally showing signs of decoupling from GPU requirement.

Let's see what this dude says in a year…

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
People really need to boycott these new cards.
AMD have a great opportunity here, but I expect they're going to flub it.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Bought a Steam Deck with the GPU money I have been saving, probably won't go back to high end gaming, not worth it with the insane prices now.