• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018

Apparently boasts a 25% performance improvement over the old model
The main differences are that the new Nvidia Shield TV Pro comes with the latest Tegra X1+ processor and a more robust remote. This new Tegra chipset boasts a 25% improvement over last generation's processor. The RAM and storage remain the same, coming in at 4GB and 16GB, respectively.

The best android set top box is getting an upgrade also a big boon for Android "console" gaming and emulation this could theoretically positions this as a perfect 1080p Dolphin/general emulation box.

Let the Switch Pro speculation run wild

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
25% better performance and the same memory and storage 4.5 years later at the same (launch) price? What a joke

Oct 27, 2017
So I've always been curious about these Nvidia Shields. Do they play Steam games on your TV? And if so, does it allow you to play everything or only certain games? What do you do for controllers?

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
Well time to bin my current shield tv (2017) and buy this new one. Also that remote yuk.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
Mariko has a 25% improvement? Then why Nintendo didn't advertise it?
they did ... it's called longer battery life

bigNews_nintendo-switch-update-coming.jpg

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Yeah that's just the chip in the new Switch and Switch Lite models lol
Nvidia is not saying what the 25% improvement is for.
Because Mariko has a 25% battery life and efficiency improvement.

Quantza

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Moore's law had a nice run lol.
I'm also thinking that Nintendo believed a 25% increase in performance wouldn't be enough for a Switch Pro so went with the power reduction route instead.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
That isn't remotely as big an upgrade as I'd expect. Might explain why Switch Pro isn't a thing already.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

nintendo kept the clocks the same as before and used the new process node to lower heat + power consumption to make switch lite and the longer-battery switch. since the shield pro is a dedicated console presumably they're using the process improvement to bump up the clocks and thus performance instead. so even though it's the same chip, they're using it in different ways.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
So will this pretty much be the best option for PC to TV streaming?

I've got a pretty powerful PC and a 4K TV, so I'd like to stream at 1440p or 4K. I haven't looked into things too much, but it seemed like Shield was my best bet. Any reason to go with this over the last model?

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
Wonder if this'll drop the price of the last model, which is still the best streaming device on the market (but getting major competition from apple).

Has anyone used one of these for Gamestream from a pc with an NVidia card? How was the performance?

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
So does this give us an indication of the power advantage that the rumoured Switch Pro will have?
It would be a different chip. This chip is in the new Switch and switch lite. Max clocks (not used on switch) gives it 648GFLOPs and 2.2ghz+ cpu. Also ram is probably lpddr4x now (like in the new Switch models), which is ~50% faster.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
actually, the OG Shield TV is already very capable for what it is even now (4k video, playing android videos, media server). The spec boost is good but i'm not sure how much more tangible improvement it can brings.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
So I've always been curious about these Nvidia Shields. Do they play Steam games on your TV? And if so, does it allow you to play everything or only certain games? What do you do for controllers?
It has a controller and being android you can just install the steam link app.

Not sure about native support.

I believe you can also stream from geforce now too.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any word on Dolby Vision support? Was really hoping for that. I'd also like it to support rumble for non-Shield controllers hooked up to it. Those were two of the big reasons I don't use mine as much anymore.

Can you use this as a PC?

Unless I missed something about my Shield TV: No. But it can stream games from your PC and once the Nvidia cloud streaming stuff is public, you'll be able to use it essentially like a Stadia/PSNow/XCloud.

You can stream from your PC to the Shield yeah. I find it works way better for me than Steam Link. There's some artifacting but I get much more consistent IQ and nearly no latency doing it through the Shield where Steam link works quite a bit worse for me.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
They haven't developed something new in nearly 4 years? :/
Chip development takes some time, and the Tegra line for the Shield was dead before the Switch deal.
I'm sure most of Nvidia's Tegra team is on a new kind of chip for their next generation, but Mariko was done to solve other issues afaik (lots of vulnerabilities, efficiency, etc). It's just a chip improvement, as said in the X1+ name.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The biggest reason to upgrade is Dolby Vision. The remote overhaul was needed as well, but lack of DV was what was holding Shield TV back in 2019 - especially as Apple TV released a software upgrade to allow real controllers to be paired with it and thus allowing streaming apps like Steam Link to achieve their full potential.

The performance boost being modest isn't a big deal - Shield Experience 8.0 garbage performance notwithstanding (giving the benefit of the doubt that the latest software playback issues are due to bugs rather than being too much for the hardware). Native Android TV games just haven't gained much traction, so there's not much to play natively on the device. This is a box that is great at UI speed, 4K playback smoothness (again, the latest software release hitches notwithstanding), and streaming games either locally or via GeForce Now. It's also the best Kodi box on the market.

Apple TV and Shield TV are really neck and neck now. If you want to use Kodi to maximum effect and prefer Gamestream over Steam Link, Shield TV is the better option now. If you want to use Apple Arcade and have a slightly more cohesive software experience in general, Apple TV is the better option. But that's really getting into the grain of it - both boxes cover all the necessities now, which is what's important.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
If this is Mariko, I'm a bit surprised to see that NVIDIA hasn't really updated their Shield TV with a new Tegra chip.

Is the Tegra X2 too expensive or specialized to replace the X1? As far as I know it hasn't been used outside the automotive industry and the Magic Leap One.

Oct 27, 2017

Any word on Dolby Vision support? Was really hoping for that. I'd also like it to support rumble for non-Shield controllers hooked up to it. Those were two of the big reasons I don't use mine as much anymore.

Unless I missed something about my Shield TV: No. But it can stream games from your PC and once the Nvidia cloud streaming stuff is public, you'll be able to use it essentially like a Stadia/PSNow/XCloud.

You can stream from your PC to the Shield yeah. I find it works way better for me than Steam Link. There's some artifacting but I get much more consistent IQ and nearly no latency doing it through the Shield where Steam link works quite a bit worse for me.

So it's streaming from one's PC, but it won't be a PC in itself. As in, it won't be like a console version of Steam?

Oct 25, 2017
Oooh... I never bit on the original model since I didn't have a need for it yet, but I will with this.

Hope that the pre-order page goes live again soon.

HarryDemeanor

Oct 25, 2017
I've been wanting one for my setup so I might bite. Should I get in on this or wait for a price drop on the previous model?

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Is DV just a licensing issue? If so, does that mean it's possible for the Shield TV to also get DV?

Also, I hope that the new remote is compatible with the 2017 Shield, because it's awful, and constantly losing connection, pretty much every time I turn off my tv (not even mentioning the "no signal" issue I get at least once a week with the 2017 Shield tv).

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
The frustrating thing is the Tegra X2 has also been out for years, and is a lot more power efficient and powerful than the X1. It's also crazy expensive in devkit form, which is probably why it's not in any consumer products that I know of.

fake edit:
If this is Mariko, I'm a bit surprised to see that NVIDIA hasn't really updated their Shield TV with a new Tegra chip.

Is Tegra X2 too expensive or specialized to replace the X1? As far as I know it hasn't been used outside of the automotive industry and the Magic Leap One.
I have to assume it's too expensive. Even the X1 devkits are pretty expensive compared to the Switch and Shield TV, so all I know is that the X2 is "more". Now the Xavier is too specialized most likely, as it's got a lot of hardware dedicated to AI.