• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What is it, Era?

• RTX Refresh

Votes: 315 21.6%
  • New Titan

Votes: 448 30.7%
  • Super Switch

Votes: 696 47.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doct0r

Jun 7, 2018
Durham, UK
So what are we expecting? 2060/2070 ti and a 2080 ST? I still don't feel the need to upgrade this 1080 ti quite yet.
Give me 7nm Nvidia!

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
NVidia's GPU in the new switch is rumored tol be powerful enough to mine cryptocurrency.

Asked to confirm these rumors a spokesperson at Nintendo replied, "It prints money!!"

Riflen

Nov 13, 2017
I don't think Nvidia will do a press event. The NDA will expire and the reviews will go up. It's RTX 2060s/2070s/2080s. More CUDA cores and 16 Gbps GDDR6. Expect it to happen around the start of July, when AMD's GPU launches.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Nvidia will do a press event. The NDA will expire and the reviews will go up. It's RTX 2060s/2070s/2080s. More CUDA cores and 16 Gbps GDDR6. Expect it to happen around the start of July, when AMD's GPU launches.
I'm not aware of any NDA on this so far. Maybe they've changed the timing or scrapped the idea altogether after seeing what Navi actually is.

Riflen

Nov 13, 2017
I'm not aware of any NDA on this so far. Maybe they've changed the timing or scrapped the idea altogether after seeing what Navi actually is.

I very much doubt they've scrapped the idea. If it was happening early July to optimally poke AMD, board partners will already be into testing and assembly wouldn't they?
Gamescom is another possibility for Nvidia, but end of August seems just a little late to me, unless Navi's 7th July date is just a paper launch.

We've had products refreshed in this way before, but it's mainly the very top-end, so not only are customers for those products less likely to balk at the idea, Nvidia doesn't really publicise it because it doesn't mean anything to the vast majority. Kepler Titan then Titan Black, Pascal Titan X and Titan Xp, I suppose Titan V and then the CEO edition.

With Pascal we got a refreshed 1060 6GB and 1080, but that was just a 1Gbps memory bump, and there was hardly any press for that if I remember correctly. Mainly because it made almost no difference and was probably more about what the memory suppliers were making at the time. I wonder how much press they're going to give this refresh?

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I very much doubt they've scrapped the idea. If it was happening early July to optimally poke AMD, board partners will already be into testing and assembly wouldn't they?
Gamescom is another possibility for Nvidia, but end of August seems just a little late to me, unless Navi's 7th July date is just a paper launch.

We've had products refreshed in this way before, but it's mainly the very top-end, so not only are customers for those products less likely to balk at the idea, Nvidia doesn't really publicise it because it doesn't mean anything to the vast majority. Kepler Titan then Titan Black, Pascal Titan X and Titan Xp, I suppose Titan V and then the CEO edition.

With Pascal we got a refreshed 1060 6GB and 1080, but that was just a 1Gbps memory bump, and there was hardly any press for that if I remember correctly. Mainly because it made almost no difference and was probably more about what the memory suppliers were making at the time. I wonder how much press they're going to give this refresh?
NV's biggest issue are prices and whatever they will introduce will likely tackle this issue first. Prices on semiconductor products tend to become lower over time which means that the more you wait the lower you can go. In this sense I can definitely see them riding it out as long as they can.

And Navi's 7/7 launch will likely have minimal quantities but what's even more important - I don't really see how it challenges current RTX cards, with one exception of 2060 possibly.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017

It is said that SUPER series will receive faster memory and a core count bump across the series. This time around NVIDIA is not launching a new GeForce series (RTX 3080 etc), but instead, existing SKUs will receive a SUPER postfix. That said new GeForce will simply be called RTX 2080 SUPER.

NVIDIA Turing Refresh is becoming a reality.

capturehhk95.png

Nov 8, 2017
It's the same chips, they will have the exact same features.

Even Navi 5000 doesn't seem to be shipping with 2.1 support, so a minor Turing refresh is pretty much out of the question as disappointing as both of those factoids are.

I remember when people were critiquing the RTX series on launch for not having it, haha.

Jun 1, 2018
is there a timer countdown ? i wanted to buy a rtx 2080 ti but news sites are saying they will go down in price today because of some announcement?

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
is there a timer countdown ? i wanted to buy a rtx 2080 ti but news sites are saying they will go down in price today because of some announcement?
2080 Ti is unlikely to go down in price any time soon. But if you can wait then wait till mid-July at least, maybe something will happen.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Even Navi 5000 doesn't seem to be shipping with 2.1 support, so a minor Turing refresh is pretty much out of the question as disappointing as both of those factoids are.

I remember when people were critiquing the RTX series on launch for not having it, haha.

Was anyone? I remember saying it's a major reason I wouldn't be slightly upgrading my GPU, but it was never blame towards Nvidia. I knew there was no 2.1 silicon available and Navi was the first reasonable chance we had (although that was far from guaranteed too). LG is looking pretty smart for licensing the tech so they could manufacture the chipsets themselves (although with no GPUs releasing in 2019 with 2.1, it's kind of a useless reason to upgrade your TV now. Mine as well wait for the 2020 LG's with the next gen panels unless your TV dies and you need something now).

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
The official news now that it's real is that 2060 is getting a price drop, 2080ti is still the top of the line card so isn't going to get a price drop.

Nov 5, 2017
So it seems that the consensus is that if you need a graphics card now, the 2060S/2070S are worth it over their Pascal counterparts (finally), right? And don't buy the OG 2060/2070/2080 too?

However, if you can wait, wait until Navi review embargos are lifted and then we will get the comparison to the competition too, right?

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So it seems that the consensus is that if you need a graphics card now, the 2060S/2070S are worth it over their Pascal counterparts (finally), right? And don't buy the OG 2060/2070/2080 too?

However, if you can wait, wait until Navi review embargos are lifted and then we will get the comparison to the competition too, right?

From AMDs own benches the 5700xt will get smoked by a 2070s.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
Reviewers prolly have test 5700 units or are about to, so it's not like we are going to have to wait for a long time to see the full picture.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Super really doesn't sound to me too much like the sort of branding Nvidia would use, it's too... cheerfully cartoony.

It *does* fit Nintendo, of course, but Nvidia promoing that would seem a bit odd.

Could it be a Super Tegra, designed for a Super Switch? That's just about the sort of marriage of company styles that conceptually works for me.

Edit: Oh, old thread, and it really is just card branding. Intriguing, it's not something that strikes me as Nvidia's style.

Status
Not open for further replies.