• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
How do you even regulate this? I mean fair enough, you can stop people from bulk buying... But even then I doubt smaller retailers will pay attention.

Also to people puzzled why no delay concerns, if the crypto bubble does burst a bunch of second hand gpus will flood the market and crash prices.

Oct 27, 2017
Is this mainly an issue in the US? Looking at amazon.co.uk for example they are selling high end NVIDIA cards for close to RRP.

It's not quite as bad as in the US (mostly because their RRPs are higher anyway, and miners look at GPUs at a global price-performance rate), but they're all still at least £100 - £200 higher than their launch price, which is already higher than they'd usually be 1-2 years after launch, with a new generation due in a few months.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't demand supposed to drive prices down?

Normal people can't get a hold of a fairly priced gpu because these miner assholes buy them up as soon as possible. Some of it is also flippers taking advantage of the demand. Then the 3rd party retailers see this and know they can get away with charging 3x the price because these people will buy them.

Meanwhile us gamers are sitting here praying our current cards don't die on us.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why does nVidia care? Are they afraid to be branded as traitors to the pc gamers or something?

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
Can they just, you know, produce more?

This could be detrimental for various reasons. The cost of production would increase and the market is incredibly volatile at the moment, which could lead to big losses. Who is also to say that miners wouldn't just buy up new product digging Nvidia deeper into the hole?

The only way prices drop is if crypto crashes.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
Can they just, you know, produce more?

What? Produce more? What madness is this? Honestly, would it matter? They'd produce more, they'd still sell out. There's no real solution outside of gimping the cards which is bad for both parties, or by making cards that are better for cryptomining so that those are sold first or more than those that are good for just gaming/rendering.

Yuuup!

Got my TI as soon as the brand cards came and ever since the price just skyrocketed

Thinking about selling both my GTX 1080 and GTX 1070's. Those PCs aren't really being used, so they won't miss them. And I could hold that cash for a GTX 1080Ti or Volta later down the road.

EightBitNate

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
What are the options for those of us who seriously looking into purchasing a graphics card soon? I know some retailers still have them at regular price, but would it be better to wait for a "Crash" of the crypto currency market to see prices deflate massively? And if something like that were to happen, when?

Goronmon

Nov 9, 2017
Is there a source for Nvidia actually making this statement? Or is it just a "random site makes up news and then other sites link to that as the 'source' with no real verification" style news story?

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
HAHAHAHAHA I lost it at six pack of 1080 xD

Deleted member 24280

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Free PR points for NVidia.
They have no say in this, the retailers have no way to check, it costs them nothing to say it, it is the thing people want to hear.

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This could be detrimental for various reasons. The cost of production would increase and the market is incredibly volatile at the moment, which could lead to big losses. Who is also to say that miners wouldn't just buy up new product digging Nvidia deeper into the hole?

The only way prices drop is if crypto crashes.

What? Produce more? What madness is this? Honestly, would it matter? They'd produce more, they'd still sell out. There's no real solution outside of gimping the cards which is bad for both parties, or by making cards that are better for cryptomining so that those are sold first or more than those that are good for just gaming/rendering.

How volatile is the current GPU market? Seems like the market for crypto mining would stay for a few years at least so might as well take advantage of this new market and produce some more cards to quench current demand.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
How volatile is the current GPU market? Seems like the market for crypto mining would stay for a few years at least so might as well take advantage of this new market and produce some more cards to quench current demand.
They probably have assembly lines building their next gen products. They could expand their production (and who knows, maybe they will), but retailers aren't going to want last years model when a new one is on the way.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
Only way to do anything would be to sell the highend models direct only , you buy them one at a time straight from Nvidia and they just stop shipping them to retailers but that would also hit their bottom line hard. I don't know ... it's a stupid problem to have that people are buying these things to make a few cents a month for a few dollars of electricity. Bitcoin can't crash soon enough basically. Anyone mining deserves the poor house for all the power they waste. Governments should start regulating the use of bitcoin too , make it next to impossible to turn it into real money for any legal use or tax the shit out of it or something.
Few cents a month? My single 1080 is currently making me around $5-6 /day. Not going to say no to free money lol.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
I bought my 1060 6GB for $284 and now I'm seeing the cheapest price $589.99

Dwtcf61.gif

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware

For Nvidia, it would be a gamble. They're about (soonish) to show off their upcoming Volta cards. And they're going to want to push this. The thought here is that they'd rather get them and show them off, versus them being tossed into machines for solely mining. Sure, they're about money, but if they can't get the cards into the hands of their majority audience, they could lose face. Those deals with packaging them with games, those deals with various companies. I do want to believe that Nvidia and AMD, want the gamers to get the majority of their cards.

I mean, couldn't this eventually damage a company? What if AMD somehow turned it around and had massive amounts of their cards available? Wouldn't that then entice gamers to go after their cards or vice versa?

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly feel like the barrier to pc gaming is becoming kinda absurd.

This is just going to push more and more people to consoles.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, pre-built PC makers will take advantage of this and make it worthwhile. Just drop the price and insta-sale. or we can buy those PCs, sell the parts we don't need and profit.
How are pre-built PC makers going to get hold of cheap cards either?
Surely all this will do is raise the price of pre-built pcs.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why anybody's against this statement? Bitcoin miners aren't a viable market at all and this can potentially damage Nvidia and AMD's brand from gamers looking to upgrade/build PCs which is a more consistent market.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Bought my GTX 1070 two summers ago when it was $445. Now it retails for $800-900 used? crazy

Frostman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great Britain
Nvidia don't care who buys them, as long as their making money everything's golden. Same thing for AMD.

I don't take this statement seriously at all.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
How are pre-built PC makers going to get hold of cheap cards either?
Surely all this will do is raise the price of pre-built pcs.
From what I understand, there are contracts in place for pre-built makers. They pay for an amount, which means that Nvidia and AMD have to provide those cards. Most have already paid for them and have them in-stock in their warehouses. Could you imagine what would happen if they couldn't get the cards they paid for?

BLLYjoe25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't they sell cards themselves at their recommended price? If they sold a 1070 at £400 then other places wouldn't be able to get away with charging £550.

Retailers won't listen. Imo Nvidia should stop sending cards to retailers to that don't listen. Also couldn't they release an update to cards that stop them being used in miner programs?

The whole thing is a joke. Miners are ruining PC gaming.

TaKeRx

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit I built a rig in early May and my 1080ti + RAM can be sold for a good amount of profit.

Icespark

Oct 25, 2017
I still have a GTX 580 and have been wanting to upgrade awhile but at the current cost it is ridiculous. You know something is wrong when Alienware prices are looking more and more reasonable. $1799 can get you a Aurora Mid Tower gtx 1080 8gb desktop with i7 8700k, 16gb ram, 256gb ssd, 2tb hardrive. That is cheaper than a DIY with the same parts. Crazy.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't they sell cards themselves at their recommended price? If they sold a 1070 at £400 then other places wouldn't be able to get away with charging £550.

Retailers won't listen. Imo Nvidia should stop sending cards to retailers to that don't listen. Also couldn't they release an update to cards that stop them being used in miner programs?

The whole thing is a joke. Miners are ruining PC gaming.
Stock reference cards are a tiny portion of the market. Nvidia has no control at which price custom cards are sold.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Nvidia has the right and power to dictate a maximum selling price depending on the arrangement with a retailer.

A company I worked for was contractually obligated not to charge items acquired from multiple suppliers above and below a specified price range.

Part of my job was to update prices and to take advantage of discount bulk rates when provided.

Chumley

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Are we really going to go into February with 1080ti's being impossible to even buy used at less than $1k?

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017

Personally, I'm expecting this cryptocurrency bubble to crash hard at some point, at which point mining will suddenly be no where near the cost of even cheap electricity. Problem is, that could be tomorrow or it could be in five years.

Oct 27, 2017
And I was afraid that I paid too much for my 1070ti in the beginning of december, which was 574€, it has gone up by few euros since then but it's basicly the same.

- edit -
Or is 1070ti just not popular for that purpose?

Oct 25, 2017
with mrs. glitches
Bad PR. It'd just turn off gamers from supporting them, especially since these cards will be available dirt-cheap on the used market once this mining boom ends.

Ah yes nothing like buying a card that's been running 24/7 since it was plugged in.

They don't even link to the specific article or attempt to quote it. It's just "We don't really speak German but we swear somewhere on this German site it says what we are saying it does, probably."

They link to the article at the bottom of the page.