• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 5, 2017
Rumor going around is that Nvidia will end all current 3000 series cards (except new 3060) and replace them with variants that have the new anti crypto currency driver change.

https://www.3dcenter.org/news/gerue...ten-ampere-portfolios-mit-cryptomining-bremse

From google translate:

Based on the addendum tweet in particular , it can be seen that this is due to the expiry of all previous Ampere graphics cards (excluding the GeForce RTX 3060)and their simultaneous replacement by new graphics card models is to be implemented. These new models do not necessarily have to bring new or modified hardware specifications with them, but can definitely have exactly the same hardware specifications. The new models could therefore only have the cryptomining brake as a change compared to their predecessors. The point of the measure is that the new models can then no longer evade the cryptomining brake via BIOS flash or older drivers - because the device ID is different and nVidia has not had it for a long time (so easy ) can manipulate.

The shape of the whole thing, however, is still unclear: Speculatively, there could be a "5" series - GeForce RTX 3065 Ti, GeForce RTX 3075, GeForce RTX 3085 and GeForce RTX 3095 - or a "SUPER" series with an identical purpose. nVidia could also decide on completely different names or even different technical data.

Take with a grain of salt but the Twitter poster first leaked that there would be new anti mining measures in January and has been a well known leaker in the past.

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
Good if true, normal stock 🙏

scalpings bad but mining sure as hell isn't helping the issue.

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
Seems to be fairly drastic. But fuck me this going to make me wait again to see how prices develop instead of just getting a 3060 isn't it

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the stupid questions, but:

1. Can't miners just find a way to bypass whatever Nvidia will do on the new cards and
2. Why don't Nvidia make cards dedicated for miners?

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Sorry for the stupid questions, but:

1. Can't miners just find a way to bypass whatever Nvidia will do on the new cards and

Probably, but Nvidia are making dedicated cards for miners which should lessen demand for the RTX cards.

www.nvidia.com

Crypto Mining GPU for Professional Miners

The best GPU for mining that gives cryptocurrency pros maximum performance. Only through NVIDIA Partners.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Theoretically they can. Theoretically hackers could hack Xbox One and PS4 but that didn't happen yet.

Because the first step in this is to prevent miners from buying gaming cards.

Womder if the value of these cards will go up due to the fact.
Why would it? They'll be the same, different BIOSes.

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
If true, this will make the price of the current 3000 series cards even more expensive right? Since miners would scramble to get the last batch of the cards.

I hope the new SKUs can help lower the price significantly. It's been really hard to get a new card rn.

Kuosi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
if they customize the silicon on the existing cards to include the silicon-bios-driver handshake then its possible, that's not impossible to crack but not exactly easy as just writing a custom driver.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Probably, but Nvidia are making dedicated cards for miners which should lessen demand for the RTX cards.

www.nvidia.com

Crypto Mining GPU for Professional Miners

The best GPU for mining that gives cryptocurrency pros maximum performance. Only through NVIDIA Partners.
This is untrue as someone who used to mine. A card that has resale value at end of mining life or exchange later is preferable. As usually the cost of mining cards is comparable. With negligible resale value in the case of mining cards.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
It's going to be extremely hard to bypass because it's baked into the silicon and bios level.

Yeah, the key is to make it hard enough that it's not worth the hassle, so they go for the CMP cards instead.

Hopefully this works out and the cards are actually available.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Can't imagine why.

YVMFCFM.jpg

I'm in the market for a decent card myself and I don't want to spend more than it actually cost me to build the computer to get one.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
So this means that I could technically sell my mining-capable 3070 for a fuckton of money to some dumb miner, then buy a non-mining-capable 3080 with that money? lol

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Initially the Problem with Mining Cards is that the miners didn't want them.
It hurts their resale value: "Standard" cards can be sold to miners AND video game players.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
So this means that I could technically sell my mining-capable 3070 for a fuckton of money to some dumb miner, then buy a non-mining-capable 3080 with that money? lol
New cards will still allow mining just slower.
For a home user who "mine out of interest" this won't change much. He'll just have to spend 2X the time to get the same amount of coins.
For industrial miners though this will change a lot as buying a cheaper mining product which will have the same hash rate will lead to higher profits.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
New cards will still allow mining just slower.
For a home user who "mine out of interest" this won't change much. He'll just have to spend 2X the time to get the same amount of coins.
For industrial miners though this will change a lot as buying a cheaper mining product which will have the same hash rate will lead to higher profits.
Yeah but I mean, someone who mines for a living might be willing to pay me more than the 3080's MSRP for my "old" 3070 no?

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but I mean, someone who mines for a living might be willing to pay me more than the 3080's MSRP for my "old" 3070 no?
Doubtful as those who mine for a living don't do it on one GPU.

People like to harp on like it's miners causing current supply constraints but Nvidia have been selling 3080s directly to miners. It's a problem they part created themselves and are now "solving".
Nvidia doesn't sell anything directly to miners. Partners and distributors do, and they pack all the profits from this for themselves. Which is one reason for Nv's initiatives on shutting mining down.

DigiDom

Oct 30, 2017
NVidia- have a limited amount of silicon that they can produce making a dedicated mining card will reduce that amount of gaming cards they can make. Also when the crypto bubble bursts they worry lees about 2nd hand cards flooding the market. although I don't know why miners would buy them if they cant resell them later. You could argue this is terrible for the environment because the mining cards are just going to become e-waste as they have almost no other function.
If the hardware is capable miners will get around it, miners already make their own custom bios and even coolers this will not stop them in the slightest. This is probably just a publicity stunt to make it look like they care while making sure they lose less money at the end of this.

Last edited:

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like a good way to slip in Ti models of all cards without pissing people off (too much) to me!

Nice! Hopefully whatever nerf they do to the new cards will stay in place
Like the last time around, miners aren't going to go for those like they do the consumer cards because they lack the resale value. Once it's no longer profitable to mine on these cards due to whatever backend changes happen, they dump the mining cards and buy newer stuff. Mining GPU is next to useless on the second hand market.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
They should put locks directly into silicon, for both desktop cards and laptop GPUs.

Situation is insane in my region, 3080s is available once per month and prices every time go up. There is one 6800XT available for purchase now for 1620€.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
Why would nvidia artificially block a use case for their cards and thus make them interesting to less people? Is there a legal requirement for that?

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Why is there such a concern with resale value for miners?! If there's big demand for mining, why would resale value be low? There's obviously plenty of miners to sell to.

Also, fuck the miners. I hope this is just a first step, and they continue making newer GPUs worse for mining with each generation.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Why would nvidia artificially block a use case for their cards and thus make them interesting to less people? Is there a legal requirement for that?

Because they want the push the dedicated mining cards, mostly. A dedicated mining card doesn't need some of the things a graphics card does (don't have to pay all those codec licenses for a start) so it makes them more money.

As others have said though, I think they've misunderstood the resell value economics for many miners though so I doubt this will actually work.

Also I lose track of when using hardware level DRM to block features is actually good on this board...

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Why is there such a concern with resale value for miners?! If there's big demand for mining, why would resale value be low? There's obviously plenty of miners to sell to.

Also, fuck the miners. I hope this is just a first step, and they continue making newer GPUs worse for mining with each generation.

If the cards were still useful for mining then they wouldn't be trying to sell them. There's a point at which the electrical costs of running an older card for mining are so inefficient compared to a modern card then there's not really any point in keeping that card, at which point they're resold.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Well, I hope this means I can buy a 3080ti (or whatever) for free lol
My 3080 is going to be expensive second hand.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Why wouldn't a company like Nvidia setup their own mining arrays and grab a decent chunk of the coins that are left to generate?

If the cards are worth more than secondary prices because of what they can generate, why not just do it yourselves?

laxu

Nov 26, 2017

Their cards that are intended for mining are made using the components that did not pass for gaming GPUs so they get better use of their production yield. Those cards don't need to have display outputs etc so they can be sold cheaper. Whether they sell depends on if they are cheap enough for miners to consider a good choice.

Those miners who buy a GPU to game on it but try to get extra value for it by mining are not the major problem. Those are not the folks running mining farms and buying massive amounts of GPUs.

Nvidia has said that their anti-mining setup involves a handshake between card BIOS, drivers etc so it's not something that you can just go around so easily and disable. It does not fully prevent mining, just makes it a non-viable option for making money.