• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Nvidia has officially released their new Geforce 388.31 GPU drivers, which come Game Ready for Star Wars: Battlefront II and Injustice II and offers some huge performance gains in Bungie's Destiny 2.

This driver is expected to be downloadable within the next few hours, so we do not have official release notes for this driver at this time, though Nvidia dies state that this driver can offer users up to a 53% performance gain in Destiny 2, with the company seeing an average performance improvement of 36.4% when testing this GPU on the six different GPU setups (at 1440p) that range from dual GTX 1080 GPUs in SLI to a single GTX 1060 (3GB)
Below are two Nvidia graphs that detail the game's performance improvements when using the company's new Geforce 38.31 driver.
15120227937l.png

15120843810l.png

https://overclock3d.net/news/gpu_di...mproves_destiny_2_s_performance_by_up_to_53/1

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited, hopefully this means I will be able to maintain a solid 4k60 on my 1080 without going below Med-High.

Deleted member 12379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sweet. Game already runs like money for me on my 970m. Hopefully I can squeeze out even more of them frames with this update.

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, I already thought it ran well. I hope these improvements apply to the 9 series as well.

shotgunbob04

Oct 25, 2017
1080Ti owner here. I updated to 388.13 last week and noticed Rocket League was running at 240fps or less, when I had been getting an almost-locked 250fps before. I downgraded to 385.69 and performance is back up in Rocket League. I don't care about any of the games mentioned, so I'm probably going to stay on 385.69 for now.

Those are some huge improvements though! Really great for people wanting to play at the higher resolutions. Hopefully I read positive things all around from actual users about this driver update.

Herbz

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Used to get 70-80 fps in The Tower (the most resource demanding area in Destiny 2 I think), now I get 90-95 fps. Surprising.
Wonder if the improvements apply to other games too (such as The Evil Within 2 and Wolfenstein 2).

edit:
970 card here.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
Holy sh*t, insane improvements.
Anyone with GTX 1070 tested how does it work? For some reason the charts don't have it.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
1080Ti owner here. I updated to 388.13 last week and noticed Rocket League was running at 240fps or less, when I had been getting an almost-locked 250fps before. I downgraded to 385.69 and performance is back up in Rocket League. I don't care about any of the games mentioned, so I'm probably going to stay on 385.69 for now.

Those are some huge improvements though! Really great for people wanting to play at the higher resolutions. Hopefully I read positive things all around from actual users about this driver update.
Same (almost lol), i noticed that i can't maintain 60 fps with 1080p (and 2x SGSSAA) with latest drivers, maybe 388.31 will help..

Kayant

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"Game ready driver" - Hmmm

Sounds like initial drivers weren't so "game ready" if they are getting those kinds of improvements or there was some super severe bug or something.

More performance is always good

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna
Xbox one optimizations I think helped bring up the performance even on the high end PCs. The xbox one x patch came out and now nvidia is tapping into how the game is coded.

Last edited:

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
"Game ready driver" - Hmmm

Sounds like initial drivers weren't so "game ready" if they are going those kinds of improvements or there was some super severe bug or something.

More performance is always good

That's just Nvidia's branding of drivers. But they do put a lot of optimizations into the drivers. There's a lot that Nvidia can do to optimize that the game maker cannot optimize for in an efficient way.

Xbox one optimizations I think.

Nvidia wouldn't be patching in optimizations that have anything to do with X1/X1X - doesn't have an Nvidia chip.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
That's just Nvidia's branding of drivers. But they do put a lot of optimizations into the drivers. There's a lot that Nvidia can do to optimize that the game maker cannot optimize for in an efficient way.
It is less that they can't but more that they won't.

Moreover fat drivers are just bullshit. It all involves extra labour that is wasted by the developers working in a certain way, and then having the driver devs sometimes completely replace entire shaders in the driver runtime.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
PC Graphics cards don't have an open ISA for engines / games to optimize for very closely. Pretty sure that's the sort of work only Nvidia can(is allowed) to do.
AMD publishes their ISA.

Nvidia is the paranoid one that hides all that stuff away. But thin API like dx12 and Vulkan are the way to go. If Nvidia or AMD think that they can write better shaders for their GPUs they should just have those bundled into the game instead of piling that shit up in the driver.

Kayant

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not denying that but improvements to this degree are rare if am not mistaken. Kinda of reminds my me of the Vega Frontier launch and them getting similar kinds of improvement although that case was them more artificially limiting cards their here.

jony

Oct 25, 2017
Trying this as soon as I get home from work, not for the performance gain but bc I still see some microstutters after a few minutes of gameplay with gsync.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Can't say if it did much for me, getting 50fps in the tower if it's packed with people. Probably a CPU bound situation though.

1440p
i7 4770k

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Just goes to show you what a good driver update can do for a game.

Well played nVidia, well played. Maybe now I can turn up HBAO to 3D (looks much nicer) and depth of field to highest without loosing 50FPS.

Hunter-Zero

Oct 28, 2017
Let´s hope this works, everything says my pc should run this shit maxed, but the patrols are insufferable, my framerate drops from 80 to 14 and it does not make sense, it happens even in the crucible sometimes, like some weird stutter, this started after the last patch btw

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
These game specific improvements are awesome for end users, but hell for the coders of these drivers. Finding the inefficient hitches in games rendering pipelines has got to be a slog.

It also sucks for the vast majority of devs that don't get the royal treatment like this that need to spend a disproportionate amount of time refining their game where others get an easy pass.

The rather big shift to UE4 globally in the last few years has solved a lot these problems, thankfully, but it's an interesting dynamic between AAA games and the graphics card manufacturers.

Nikpls

Oct 25, 2017
Let´s hope this works, everything says my pc should run this shit maxed, but the patrols are insufferable, my framerate drops from 80 to 14 and it does not make sense, it happens even in the crucible sometimes, like some weird stutter, this started after the last patch btw
Have you tried turning DoF down from Highest to High? Shouldn't be the cause of such massive drops, but should give you a +20 to +30 fps increase for a somewhat minor downgrade.

PockyWitch

Oct 27, 2017
GTX 980 here
0 changes, sadly.
Then again, i am relatively happy performance wise. 140% renderscale at 1080p, Everything max except Dof and AO.
I do have very weird stuttering though, especially in the social spaces where it will drop down to 40 and just stay there, even though my GPU and CPU usage is waaay below 100%. Not the first game on my Rig that acts up in a way like this though and I just really don't know how to fix it anymore.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Now, if only Bungie added an AA solution that wasn't dogshit...

Not seeing significant performance gains on a 970 yet. Cranked up resolution scaling from 129 to 150 (@ 1080) to no apparent cost to performance (or very little). Just walked/sparrowed around a bit in the EDZ, so I might've just missed the more stressful parts that have caused drops for me in the past.

Last edited:

Hunter-Zero

Oct 28, 2017
Have you tried turning DoF down from Highest to High? Shouldn't be the cause of such massive drops, but should give you a +20 to +30 fps increase for a somewhat minor downgrade.

Yep, i even tried to put everything on low, and thats the funny thing, same result, it happens even on low settings, it doesn´t make any sense

Processor: AMD FX 8350
Graphic Card: GeForce GTX 1060 3Gb
Ram: 8Gb
SO: Windows 10 x64

It should run way better than it does and its driving me crazy