• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Ya'll will shit on this for being low quality VR but pre-order it the second Metroid Prime is announced for it.
i can already play metroid prime vr with dolphin on my vive without the massive eye strain and awful image quality a low resolution screen would bring

The Switch is way too goddamn huge for that.
yeah which is why i suggested this might be a thing for the switch mini but it still doesn't address the issue of the 720p screen, you'll be getting that ugly ass screen door effect for days at a resolution like that.

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I think that's far, far more likely than any other sort of option.

Nintendo's not going to get in the business of selling $200+ VR headsets.
I guess if a hardware revision had a higher resolution screen then yes it would become the more likely option. 720p would be nearly unusable though. I guess it would fit more with the 'Switch' concept where the core console itself can switch between handheld, docked, tabletop and then VR.

Overall I still think it just won't happen at all.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Retro has been working on VR experiences for the last several years in preparation for the launch of Switch VR this explains everything.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
i can already play metroid prime vr with dolphin on my vive without the massive eye strain and awful image quality a low resolution screen would bring

yeah which is why i suggested this might be a thing for the switch mini but it still doesn't address the issue of the 720p screen, you'll be getting that ugly ass screen door effect for days at a resolution like that

How bad would it be in 1080p?

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
How bad would it be in 1080p?
the biggest issue with something like this is that the switch's screen has a low pixel density for VR. considering how close the unit'll be to your eyes if this labo thing was real, it'd look fucking awful. switch needs a minimum 500ppi screen for a google cardboard labo variant to even be tolerable. at the moment, the current switch model is 237ppi at 1280x720. VR is essentially magnifying your screen to fill a large FoV which is why pixel density is so important. imagine stretching a 720p display over an 8 inch screen and then magnifying even more, it'd look like shit, screen door would be fucking awful and there'd be this ugly ass checkerboard effect.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think this is going to be a thing anytime soon, but I'd love to be proven wrong. Nintendo games in VR would be amazing.

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe it's being made for the smaller Switch in mind, AND as a Labo VR Kit. Isn't that Google's Cardboard VR solution?

Switch's current form may be too heavy to put on your face. A smaller one would be light enough.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo did patent a VR Headset Dock for the Switch so it's only a matter of time, they're definitely looking into it. I can't imagine it'll be with the current Switch, but a Switch 2 or 3 sure. Remember, Nintendo partnered with Nvidia on hardware for like 20 years or something, and they've said repeatedly they want the Switch to be a family of devices like the iPhone. They're totally, eventually, gonna have a Switch that can Google Cardboard out some VR stuff.

Ganzzor

Oct 29, 2017
Something in the line of the specs of the Oculus Quest (maybe just 1080p) might be possible for a switch Pro? i guess the form factor of the switch might be too big for lenses to properly work

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
They'd need a whole new system. Even if they were able to turn the switch into a cardboard like device, cardboard VR devices are fucking horrible compared to even PSVR. It would be a great way to sour VR in people's minds.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I believe Emily or King Zell hinted that the next Labo announced soon is unusual and unexpected, so this would make sense.
While I always held interest in Nintendo's vr patent, I simply don't think it will be Labo related. The way the screen is used is at odds with the goals of each implementation.

Axisofweevils

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, I'm now wondering if this is the reason for the Metroid delays? That seems like that would work really well in VR.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It would have to be an entirely new machine. Even simply supplying a new display sounds like a baffling move.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
If Nintendo sticks the switch into a headset it would be so front heavy it would ruin people's necks.

They'll be in this situation

B-lBWNCUAAAFcMV.jpg

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
I literally cannot imagine Nintendo doing this. Not even a little bit.

Even IF they wanted to, Switch is not powerful enough. Not for anything to look good. Fuck outta here.

I sincerely hope I don't eat crow, because I have no faith in the Switch's ability to pull this off.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I really want Nintendo to get into VR, but I'm not sure how it work as a Switch peripheral.

A labo/google-cardboard type novelty might be possible, but I don't think that would really serve as a platform for general VR content or 'serious' VR attempts from Nintendo itself.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Since we all agree it's probably Labo related, let me be the first to guess that the first game will be Yoshi. The game makes lots of use of cardboard, references Labo and would be a simple but perfect showcase of depth added with VR.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Everyone here think you need to slide the Switch in the headset but keep in mind the actual console doesn't have gyroscope and accelerometer (those are in the joycons) so it wouldn't work.

What i can see them doing though, is something like this

lg360vr-5.jpg

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
The Oculus dk1 had around the same resolution as the switch, and it was completely awful

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't see the Switch being a particuarly good VR device. The Labo approach and making your own headset out of cardboard would be cool though.

Oct 28, 2017
A standalone head unit that connects to the Switch that does not render on tv could be possible for $200.

This is where Star Fox Grand Prix and Metroid Prime Trilogy live. Ive been saying it for years!

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone here think you need to slide the Switch in the headset but keep in mind the actual console doesn't have gyroscope and accelerometer (those are in the joycons) so it wouldn't work.

lg360vr-5.jpg
They could fix that by having you out the joy con with the camera into the headset somewhere too. Like the robot LABO kit.

As an aside, would the switch be able to power decent VR if the headset didn't have to use the screen?

Like the headset comes with a 1080p screen for VR built in but you slot in the switch behind the screen so that it does all the processing but for 1080p, docked level performance instead of portable mode (headset would presumably have a battery pack in it to help alleviate battery life) while In the headset?

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Bringing a lawsuit against Nintendo because the cardboard VR thing I bought for my 8-year old made him puke everywhere, go blind and then the switch screen cracked when the headset fell apart.

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
surprise us nintendo

might involve labo in some way
VR is the only way I can see Labo succeeding tbh. When you have VR with some accessories you will quickly see how much of an expensive way of gaming VR+all the accessories you need. Not counting the accessories that don't exist due to the nature of VR.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

lg360vr-5.jpg

Are you sure that's true? I thought the tablet also had a gyro and accelerometer... Did we ever get confirmation on that? I know the patent included it.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
They could fix that by having you out the joy con with the camera into the headset somewhere too. Like the robot LABO kit.

True but that would create too much latency, motion sickness would be a real problem (and it is already with far more advanced headsets)

Plus that would force you to own multiple joycons and those are expensive or to use only one joycon as a controller. (which is possible with some game like Mario Kart with the wheel but not many other games)

It should be said that if this is a real thing, as even NWR says, it's not really a second platform but more a fun gimmick to play some extra modes so it should be very cheap otherwise it's the Virtual Boy all over again.

Oct 25, 2017
This would make sense in terms of Switch Pro or whatever. Nothing says a cheaper Switch means an updated Switch cannot also exist in parallel. For the current unit it's a bit of an uphill battle. Totally doable, but perhaps held back by fidelity. It's hard to say where the bottom end of VR really is as the baseline has been 1080p 60.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Might also explain the rumors of a smaller model. I've personally never loved that rumor cause of joycon compatibility but who knows.