• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
In whatever this this takes, I think that rumored the VB Wario Land remake from a year ago will pop up again as a VR title.

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I'd be interested in a Labo VR. It would be an interesting experiment.

Though, I'd be far more interested if Nintendo leveraged their IP to create content for the PC VR market (preferably the Vive, because it's the one I own). If they use it as a gateway to introduce more people to their IP and try and push them to get fuller experiences on their own hardware, like they do with Mobile.

They already have the VR Mario Kart experience, I'd like more consumer level releases like that.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
If the smaller, lighter Switch is what we're expecting this year... I could definitely see them dropping that with a higher res screen (the traditional games would just scale up, not render higher) and using that for VR with a $50 plastic accessory.

Obviously it wouldn't be console VR quality, but there is already a pretty hefty library of portable VR for Gear and Dream/Cardboard that would probably work without too much tweaking.

(edit) It'd be hilarious if Nintendo beat Sony and Microsoft to a FOVeated VR system, but I don't think that's super likely.
I don't see foveated rendering happening too soon anyway. Oculus will be the first to crack it, as they are the leaders of VR/AR, and even they are looking towards 2022.

I'm aware Vive Pro Eye does it, but that's not a consumer product and even if it was, it wouldn't be priced as one.

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like this would need to be on Switch 2 to be any good. They can always make a quirky low resolution Google Labo cardboard of course, but it might not leave the best impression.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I hope not, VR is just a waste of ressource and workforce at this point, when there is going to be better tech in several years then why not.
Plus VR isn't getting mainstream appeal.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
I hope not, VR is just a waste of ressource and workforce at this point, when there is going to be better tech in several years then why not.
Plus VR isn't getting mainstream appeal.
Well with that thinking, nothing would get anywhere. You're saying it isn't getting mainstream appeal, yet how else do you get better tech than to work on it in the first place?

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
They have the motion controllers, the portable screen, and Labo. I can see them releasing some VR mini games for Labo, but nothing "serious".

Last edited:

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I know very little about the technical details behind VR but I also had the impression current Switch would struggle with VR.
It depends on the games... There are already quite a few vr for Gear and Google Dream/Cardboard and those are for phones with similar to weaker specs. You wouldn't expect even base PS4 quality, but you definitely could do some fun/simpler games without much struggle.

The bigger issue is definitely the resolution of the screen... but all the rumors point to a new revision out this year that will be smaller and aimed at being more portable. Smaller = higher pixel density and the cost of a 1080p+ screen at that size wouldn't be that more expensive than a 720p one since it'd likely be made in the same production facilities as existing smart phone screens.

Gunpei

Mar 13, 2018
*First* VR announcement? Oh please.

virtualboy_05.png

:p

Lol, that wasnt even the first...

images

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I think that makes a lot of sense. But Labo is a product aimed at kids, Nintendo didn't recommend 3D for kids back in the 3DS days and I just can't see them now pushing VR for them. If this Labo x Snap kit existed I'd simply bundle it with two different cardboards, one which is simply a camera like the following image and another one which can be transformed into some kind of VR camera glasses. This last option then aimed at an older demographic, maybe hoping to reach more consumers with Labo apart from kids and families. Problem is the game would need then two modes, normal and VR one, I don't know if that is possible.

https://i0.wp.com//wp-content/uploads/2018/01/nintendo-labo-camera-in-dev-1.jpg?resize=1038%2C576&ssl=1

Still, I believe the current Switch model is too heavy for VR glasses. They need a lighter model.
You think a Switch revision will drop right before the Kit then?

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
It depends on the games... There are already quite a few vr for Gear and Google Dream/Cardboard and those are for phones with similar to weaker specs. You wouldn't expect even base PS4 quality, but you definitely could do some fun/simpler games without much struggle.

The bigger issue is definitely the resolution of the screen... but all the rumors point to a new revision out this year that will be smaller and aimed at being more portable. Smaller = higher pixel density and the cost of a 1080p+ screen at that size wouldn't be that more expensive than a 720p one since it'd likely be made in the same production facilities as existing smart phone screens.

Thank you for the detailed explanation.

I guess we should expect some kind of Labo implementation or experimental games in the vein of 1-2 Switch as opposed to more detailed games. Will be interesting to see how Nintendo will interact with VR in the future, especially with their history of innovation and motion-controls.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Hard to believe a company as conservative as Nintendo jumping into VR, with VR being in it's current state

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What if Labo was used to build various immersive VR controllers? All the plastic gear of the Wii era, but now in cardboard! (Kidding. Mostly.)

I had some decent Gear VR experiences on my Note 4. A Tegra, especially a Tegra 2 bump, would have no issue. The Joycons already make decent VR controllers.

I think the trick would be to ship with a panel that runs in 1080p mode for normal Switch Pro games, but is actually higher resolution, to accommodate VR play. Sounds like a bit much, but even mid-tier cellphones are shipping with higher resolution screens in a much more compact form-factor. It'd be a good trick.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I mean, they could have something similar with labo and extra joycons. Maybe just not with stereoscopic 3d, just head tracking and motion controls

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
They jumped into glasses free 3D tech before any other major company... though they were also one of the few that did at all so I guess that doesn't necessarily mean much.
Plus, jumping in with a LABO VR is jumping in on the Google Cardboard concept a few yrs too late. It's a low risk venture. Cost for the VR gear will be next to nothing and the software is likely just mini-games without much substance. I'd be more interested if games like Thumper suddenly got a VR patch on Switch to compete with the PSVR/PC version of the game.

Mutedpenguin

Dec 5, 2017
If it is going to be Labo VR or a shell for a Switch. doesn't that make a smaller, handheld only Switch, less likely?
I mean it seems unlikely they'd make two different sized headsets for two different sized screens with different lenses required for each.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone wanna dig up my posts about switch vr from pre launch? 👋

vern said:
I hope they stay away from VR. Really really really hope.

https://www./threads/nintendos-big-...mi-kimishima-bloomberg.1302079/post-221838503

Vern said:
Hmmm I wouldn't count that out actually. Don't know if it'll be presented at this event but expect a google cardboard type VR solution at some point down the road. That's what I've heard recently anyway.

https://www./threads/nintendo-switc...-the-day-countdown-etc.1313334/post-227697826

That's all I could find searching VR.

Edit:

Vern said:
That's what I've heard they've shown some partners very recently. I don't know any details beyond that.

https://www./threads/nintendo-switc...-the-day-countdown-etc.1313334/post-227698980

Vern said:
I think this is likely based on what I've heard was shown to some 3rd party partners.

https://www./threads/nintendo-switc...-the-day-countdown-etc.1313334/post-227746572

Last edited:

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
https://www./threads/nintendos-big-...mi-kimishima-bloomberg.1302079/post-221838503

https://www./threads/nintendo-switc...-the-day-countdown-etc.1313334/post-227697826

That's all I could find searching VR.

Edit:

https://www./threads/nintendo-switc...-the-day-countdown-etc.1313334/post-227698980

https://www./threads/nintendo-switc...-the-day-countdown-etc.1313334/post-227746572
Detective ggx2ac 😅

DXB-KNIGHT

Oct 27, 2017
Well this will place a new perspective over Link's Awakening. You will be literally looking over the Island.

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Even if this ran in docked mode I can't imagine the Switch having enough horsepower to render VR with a decent image quality.
Yeah they would need to severely downgrade... everything in any games that end up supporting it. If they do indeed plan to roll out VR they'd need to do that along a massively revised version of the Switch, either that or just wait until Switch 2 comes out.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
VR on a 720p 60Hz screen is a big fat nope. Google Cardboard with a moderately recent phone is leagues better than that could be.