• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
jschreier I think this video likely explains or encapsulates some of the things devs have been telling you and/or the reasons why.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Sony should have hired someone like this guy to reveal the specs, the way he explains things is much clearer. Cerny is 100 years in the future.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sony should have hired someone like this guy to reveal the specs, the way he explains things is much clearer. Cerny is 100 years in the future.

As NXGamer stated in the video, the presentation was initially for developers (GDC), so their understanding of these things is going to be more in-depth, hence some of the feedback we've seen on social media and elsewhere from actual devs and tech guys.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Are people praising him because he has technical knowledge or because it fits what they believe?
Honest question, I want to see this video but I don't want another MisterXMedia situation.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Agree. I think we are going to see some pretty amazing games on the PS5. Regardless of the TF count and other things, we are still going to get some amazing games. I think some are just too hung up that one has a higher TF number than the other and somehow that diminishes what Sony's World wide Studios can do. Even if the system was a 8tf machine, the games would still be amazing. I personally can't wait to have both of these beasts connected my audio/video set up.
Most of the 1st party games I've played on my PS4 Pro look better than anything I've played on my One X so I'd say the TF count doesn't matter too much- especially because all of Microsoft's stuff will be cross gen for the foreseeable future anyway.

Munstre

Mar 7, 2020
It seems that Cerny has made a calculated gamble that a slightly weaker GPU wont be so noticable if you can optimise the rest of your system enough and get every drop out of your silicon, thus saving you a few bucks and selling the console a bit cheaper perhaps. And he is envisioning that the SSD will be a bigger differentiating factor for next gen than marginal gains in resolution and frame rate. Whether his gamble pays off remains to be seen, but I imagine a lot of his thinking is revolving around building the best system that allows their first party developers to do amazing things and not worrying so much about not always having the best version of multipats. I think exclusives will be the real battleground for these consoles, especially now that MS is investing in first party in a big way.

marecki

Aug 2, 2018
Are people praising him because he has technical knowledge or because it fits what they believe?
Honest question, I want to see this video but I don't want another MisterXMedia situation.
ive been watching him for years, he produces very high quality gaming tech content, is completely independent and always positive and informative.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Lol at comparing NXGamer to MisterXMedia. NXGamer has not only worked on (smaller) games, but presently works in programming, IT and hardware construction. His experience in the field is light years ahead of any of the MisterXMedia fanboy fodder types. He's closer to something like Digital Foundry.

That doesn't mean he, or John or anyone at DF for that matter, is going to know everything or can't make mistakes.

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to seeing how this direction they're going in pays off, because right now the PS5 comes off as the more interesting piece of hardware. Their SSD and 3D Audio have incredible potential, I expect Sony 1st party games to be the more impressive of the two. I'm torn between the two because XSX has Game Pass, but I can see myself getting the PS5 and upgrading my PC since every Xbox exclusive will be on there.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic breakdown as usual, thanks for posting. Easily up there with DF for me when it comes to explaining this stuff more indepth and what it means for game development present, and down the line. Super exciting times ahead, that's for damn sure.

Oct 28, 2017
That's where I'm at. PS5 and PC.

The audio/HTRF thing combined with frequent rumours of some sort of Silent Hill coming from Sony is enough for me to believe this isn't Sony just shooting in the dark but rather they're actually having stuff planned for their spec choices.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
NXGamer is legit. He's been doing excellent technical analysis for years.

Comparing him to MisterX - someone who doesn't understand technology and spins fairy tails from thin air - is ludicrous.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
ive been watching him for years, he produces very high quality gaming tech content, is completely independent and always positive and informative.

Lol at comparing NXGamer to MisterXMedia. NXGamer has not only worked on games, but presently works in programming and hardware construction. His experience in the field is light years ahead of any of the MisterXMedia fanboy fodder types. He's closer to something like Digital Foundry.

That doesn't mean he, or John or anyone at DF for that matter, is going to know everything or can't make mistakes.
Guys MisterxMedia believed that Xbox One had a dual GPU. Fuck sake lmao.
NXGamer is legit. He's been doing excellent technical analysis for years.

Comparing him to MisterX - someone who doesn't understand technology and spins fairy tails from thin air - is ludicrous.

I'm trying to avoid the confirmation bias myself. The road to Ps4 was great, Ps4 was great. I do believe in Cerny's work but at the same time I'm doing my best to not seek only infos that confirm my beliefs.

I said Mr X Media name just as a joke, I remember him saying that MS itself was hiding the true power, even when executives said that there was no secret gpu.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Looking forward to seeing how this direction they're going in pays off, because right now the PS5 comes off as the more interesting piece of hardware. Their SSD and 3D Audio have incredible potential, I expect Sony 1st party games to be the more impressive of the two. I'm torn between the two because XSX has Game Pass, but I can see myself getting the PS5 and upgrading my PC since every Xbox exclusive will be on there.

Back in an early speculation thread I said I wanted the two consoles to be either identical or different enough that comparisons are interesting.

Happy we got option B. Will certainly make DF and NX videos worth a watch. We also might see some very different solutions to similar problems in the exclusive software. Exciting.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
I think exclusives will be the real battleground for these consoles, especially now that MS is investing in first party in a big way.
The DF guys pointed out that all Xbox 1st party games are cross gen. So Series X won't have any console exclusives to start (IE games built from the ground up that depend on Series X high specs and SSD read speeds), only ecosystem exclusives running at the highest performance levels.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
I'm trying to avoid the confirmation bias myself. The road to Ps4 was great, Ps4 was great. I do believe in Cerny's work but at the same time I'm doing my best to not seek only infos that confirm my beliefs.

I said Mr X Media name just as a joke, I remember him saying that MS itself was hiding the true power, even when executives said that there was no secret gpu.
My take here is that both PS5 and Sex are very very good machines.

Sex will have more power for sure and multiplaforms games will perform better. How much ? Hard to tell. Difference between PS4 / One was over 30% , difference between Pro and X was over 40% in terms of gpu power. The difference between PS5 and Sex is going to be around 15 and 17 % so...

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Great video, it was very informative and I liked the theory about the OS being cached on the SSD. Back when ReRAM was still being discussed I had pondered whether they could just run the OS from ReRAM, freeing up the actual RAM for the games. It was pointed out to me that ReRAM would still be too slow, but I never thought about the possibility that a tiny bit of the OS could run in the RAM and the rest just gets dumped into the SSD.

Hmm, the OS would still have to manage network connectivity, monitor your friends, what they're playing, chat, background music... how much actual RAM would still be needed to manage that? I assume the portion being sent to the SSD would be "suspended" until it was needed so that portion couldn't run any actual functions in that state, or could it?

Anyways, I look forward to more knowledgeable people discussing this :)

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
The DF guys pointed out that all Xbox 1st party games are cross gen. So Series X won't have any console exclusives to start (IE games built from the ground up that depend on Series X high specs), only ecosystem exclusives running at the highest performance levels.

While that's true we don't know how they might approach it.

You could have a dev design and develop a game exclusively for XSX and then have a second dev port it to other systems. MS have done similar things before.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Hmm, the OS would still have to manage network connectivity, monitor your friends, what they're playing, chat, background music... how much actual RAM would still be needed to manage that? I assume the portion being sent to the SSD would be "suspended" until it was needed so that portion couldn't run any actual functions in that state, or could it?

I think that's the remaining 0.5GB is assigned for keeping running (in his theory).

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
The more I learn about the PS5 the more impressive it sounds. Sony really did a terrible job with that presentation.

6fCT8V7.png

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Great video, it was very informative and I liked the theory about the OS being cached on the SSD. Back when ReRAM was still being discussed I had pondered whether they could just run the OS from ReRAM, freeing up the actual RAM for the games. It was pointed out to me that ReRAM would still be too slow, but I never thought about the possibility that a tiny bit of the OS could run in the RAM and the rest just gets dumped into the SSD.

Wouldn't be suspended, just slower. Right?

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts

I wouldn't go as far as he took it with his 500MB OSreserve theory, But I can see them getting away with a 1GB OS reserve. All that needs to sit in that 1GB is some UI stuff and services stuff. Those aren't typically memory heavy even though there can be quite a bit of them.
Sometimes I feel like this guy is just saying words.
Aren't we all?

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I think that's the remaining 0.5GB is assigned for keeping running (in his theory).

I'm not sure if that's just a random number or if he had reason to choose it because he feels it would be sufficient.

Wouldn't be suspended, just slower. Right?

No idea. I was told ReRAM, which is even faster than the PS5 SSD would not be sufficient to run OS functions, but it's entirely possible whoever said that might have been mistaken.

I wouldn't go as far as he took it with his 500MB OSreserve theory, But I can see them getting away with a 1GB OS reserve. All that needs to sit in that 1GB is some UI stuff and services stuff. Those aren't typically memory heavy even though there can be quite a bit of them.

Nifty. Yeah, even if it's just a bit more than 0.5 GB it would still be nice to have more RAM dedicated to the games.

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was easily the best breakdown yet. So pretty much both consoles will have their advantages.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Pretty excited to see where the industry is after a couple years, I truly hope the consoles push everyone forward, consoles being so strong like the X will bring down price to performance for everyone whereas the ssd tech in the PlayStation will hopefully effectively kill the hard drive for games on pc leaving that bottleneck behind forever.

Hopefully the sound engineering and chips from both pushes everyone forward and become anew standard, sound always gets overlooked with other gimmicks of hardware and it ain't right. Bring back sound cards!!!

GameSeeker

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely worth watching. Better than the DF PS5 video in the technical detail and explanation. Only major area he doesn't cover is audio.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
That is fascinating has Sony actually confirmed they can and are going to do that though.

Sony has not confirmed this, it's a theory that NXGamer put forward. I'm guessing to explain why the PS5 has a single pool of memory instead of a split pool that most people thought they'd have prior to the announcements and like the XSX has. If the OS can be loaded into the RAM in half a second by the SSD then there's not much need to lock 3-4 GB of RAM to the OS at all times.

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why would you insult someone so badly when you don't even know him yet..... ;P
My take here is that both PS5 and Sex are very very good machines.

Sex will have more power for sure and multiplaforms games will perform better. How much ? Hard to tell. Difference between PS4 / One was over 30% , difference between Pro and X was over 40% in terms of gpu power. The difference between PS5 and Sex is going to be around 15 and 17 % so...
Wasn't it the other way around? PS4/XO 40% and the Pro/X 30%.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
I've heard other people use other examples that say the SSD will free up ram when stream things like textures, so you can potentially have higher res textures since you will have more ram to work with. I'm no dev so these type of things go way over my head, so hopefully sony will show gameplay soon that will actually show what the system is capable of. 12.1 will always be better than 10.2, so resolution and raytracing will always be better on xbox, but the SSD on PS5 can potentially show a bigger difference when it comes to making games, and maybe even better looking games.

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
Keeping the majority of the OS on the SSD sounds like a bit of stretch. It would add almost a second of load time anytime you need to access it (moving part of the game to the SSD and moving the OS to the RAM). I really think if this was something Sony were doing, Cerny would've mentioned it.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Keeping the majority of the OS on the SSD sounds like a bit of stretch. It would add almost a second of load time anytime you need to access it (moving part of the game to the SSD and moving the OS to the RAM). I really think if this was something Sony were doing, Cerny would've mentioned it.
First off he didn't really say much about their RAM... secondly, itsot a stretch at all.

Especially when you can potentially move up t 5.5GB/s. Andall they would need to be moving whenyou bring the OSto the front is like 1GB...

Imagine that the OS reserve is 1GB. That has UI elements for in-game menu and APIs for all supported IGM OS functions along with your services and lastly, a screenshot of sorts of your last Homescreen instance. Once you hit the home button,in the quarter second it takes to bring that home screen screenshot to the front end 1GB+ of the OS is load back into RAMmaking your current state active and navigatable while in the rest of it loads into RAM.

Its totally doable, Hugh I feel at least 2GB would be reserved, not even 1GB and definitely not only 500MB.

Sota4077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Warned: Inflammatory drive-by
I need not even watch the video. Let me guess. The saving grace is the SSD and it essentially closes the gap? Doesn't matter who is claiming it. The claim is still bullshit.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I need not even watch the video. Let me guess. The saving grace is the SSD and it essentially closes the gap? Doesn't matter who is claiming it. The claim is still bullshit.
Since you didn't watch the video, why do you care? Also, what "gap" do you presume will not be closed by the claim?

Apparently anybody saying anything positive about the PS5 means they are a shill and on Sony's payroll.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Every game should have a GPU clock counter in the corner as well. Ya know, for the consumer.

Are people really thinking that variable frequencies is new thing?
Yeah we are all surprised about the variable frequency but you are the one and only enlightened that figured it is actually something that already exists. Thanks for opening our eyes!