• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK

One of the biggest and lengthy platform battles happened during the late 80's and early 90's. Long before the established status quo of IBM compatible PC's had taken over the business world and multi-tasking operating systems became the norm, a whole new path and direction was taking shape. Personal computers had long since been established with 2 company's taking the lead to grow that market in very bold, exciting and yet similar paths. I start my 2 part dive into a big part of my gaming childhood, 2 titans in Atari and Commodore, I look into the hardware that these machines were built on, the similarities and differences in addition to the leading edge Operating Systems they also helped usher in, and we largely still use derivatives of today. Part 2 will cover the games and how these machines delivered them, which is just as interesting as the hardware itself. And some of those expectations, which were not always met.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for sharing this, I love watching these.

Oct 25, 2017
We do? I've seen a few going on about the history and such but never someone going deep on the technical side of the machines.
You can find tech analysis for these computers and the old consoles with some searching, a few channels are really good - Nostalgia Nerd, while a bit of a daft name does really good stuff for this.

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
Haven't watched yet. But will very soon.

Thanks NX Gamer, this is my shit right here. I actually owned both. ST first and then various Amiga's. I had much love for both systems. Good to see him back making some videos too. The games comparison video should be quite something too.

OP
OP
Gowans

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
Absolutely loved watching that.

It's great to see a similarly aged UK take on what was the scene back in the day.

From the speccy to the Amiga and the hours and hours of messing around on workbench, deluxe paint, lightwave, midi music makers and gaming its what make me creative and doing what I do now.

❤️❤️❤️

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda glossed over the MIDI support on the ST a bit. Several games supported MIDI output, although not nearly as many as I wish did. But if you were playing one of those and had an MT-32, then you were definitely getting pretty great sound.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Now these are the kind of comparisons I can really get behind! There are tons of people making comparison videos of the latest AAA console games but Atari and Amiga stuff? Let's do it! Fucking great work.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Wonderful stuff, I'm looking forward to part 2, and the Amiga 1200 vs. Atari Falcon 030 follow-up (please?).

Oct 26, 2017
It's amazing how Commodore could basically have had the Amiga 500 out in 1985 or 1986, but they messed up completely, misreading the market and focusing on all kinds of shit inbetween. Atari ST was an impressive piece of kit for basically being rushed to market once Amiga refused to give them the license for their chipset, but it was indeed a very archaic architecture. Amiga was five years ahead of its time. Mega Drive was similar but was released much later, and SNES had a few top modern effects but was a weaker system overall. It took CD-ROM and 256 colour graphics on PC to get comfortably ahead, and those weren't available until around 1994.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing how Commodore could basically have had the Amiga 500 out in 1985 or 1986, but they messed up completely, misreading the market and focusing on all kinds of shit inbetween. Atari ST was an impressive piece of kit for basically being rushed to market once Amiga refused to give them the license for their chipset, but it was indeed a very archaic architecture. Amiga was five years ahead of its time. Mega Drive was similar but was released much later, and SNES had a few top modern effects but was a weaker system overall. It took CD-ROM and 256 colour graphics on PC to get comfortably ahead, and those weren't available until around 1994.
Uh? Commodore created the Atari ST.. When Tramiel left Commodore and bought up atari, he left with the C64's successor plans and released it as the Atari ST... Commodore scrambled to find something and bought up the amiga startup (and project) to compete (Amiga was a weird adventure and were out of their original funding)

Oct 26, 2017
Uh? Commodore created the Atari ST.. When Tramiel left Commodore and bought up atari, he left with the C64's successor plans and released it as the Atari ST... Commodore scrambled to find something and bought up the amiga startup (and project) to compete (Amiga was a weird adventure and were out of their original funding)

Maybe the ST was supposed to be the next Commodore computer (although I doubt it because Irving Gould would have sued the shit out of Tramiel), either way it was a rather simple system (as also explained in this video). Amiga was pursuing a deal with Atari to let them use the chipset in a new console, but Atari wanted to expand the plans to include their own 16 bit computer. Since that would have been a straight competitor to the actual Amiga, they wanted to pull out. This was in the Tramiel transitional period in 1984-early 1985 so Jack wasn't on top of everything yet, and let them pay their way out.

At least that's what I got from reading Commodore: The Amiga Years, which is almost like reading Romance of the Three Kingdoms with all the alliances, betrayals and conflict.

Amiga was indeed out of funding and desperately needed money. There were licensing talks with both Atari, Apple and Commodore. Only problem was Commodore was already wasting all their C64 cash on poor products so buying Amiga almost bankrupted THEM in turn.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Well that was brilliant. As soon as it started I recognised the music. The feels kicked right in. My friend at the time had the Atari ST and I bought the Amiga. Had loads of fun on both.

I remember doing a painting of a Ferrari F40 using Deluxe Paint, diving in to the 4096 colours and put together near pixel-by-pixel. Good times. And those demo's, loads and loads of demo's, stuff made by people who ended up being a part of major developers like DICE.

Next week's video is going to be amazing. Hoping to see Midwinter make a splash, as well as stuff like Populous and FA/18 Hornet Interceptor.

Thank you NXGamer.

Turrican3

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
It took CD-ROM and 256 colour graphics on PC to get comfortably ahead, and those weren't available until around 1994.
Hmm I would pick a much earlier date, roughly 1990-91 more or less... Wing Commander on i386@33MHz is one of the first games that made me think "uh-oh".

Actually, MCGA/VGA were already capable of doing 256 colour graphics and that's late '80's. CPU were also going very strong on the Intel side, due to the Amiga keeping the M68000 as the base processor for the most popular gaming model, the A500.

By that time 3D was already becoming a trend and bitplane graphics wasn't helping either... I wish AAA and/or Hombre made it to the market, who knows what might have happened.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Hmm I would pick a much earlier date, roughly 1990-91 more or less... Wing Commander on i386@33MHz is one of the first games that made me think "uh-oh".

My thoughts exactly. King's Quest V came out in 1990, and I remember its 256 color graphics being a big draw. CD-ROM was popularized in 1993, and Doom was there as well. At that point PC was comfortably the most popular computer platform for gaming.

NXGamer

Oct 27, 2017
My thoughts exactly. King's Quest V came out in 1990, and I remember its 256 color graphics being a big draw. CD-ROM was popularized in 1993, and Doom was there as well. At that point PC was comfortably the most popular computer platform for gaming.
That was almost a decade after the Amiga launched. And even though PC was better, colour wisr it had been once IBM released VGA in 87. In many other areas it was only smaller leaps in one and back in others, sound for example.

It was a great time as i had so much equipment from PC to Amiga and console and they all felt so new and different even with the same games.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
No idea where to post this since we don't have a dedicated Atari ST thread (for shame) but anyone here owns or has used an UltraSatan? I'm getting an Atari MegaST 2 this week end and I'm looking for a good solution akin to Amiga whdload on an sdcard