• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Match of the Night

• WarGames

• Drew McIntyre-Andrade Cien Almas

• Women's Fatal 4 Way

• Aleister Black-Velveteen Dream

• Kassius Ohno-Lars Sullivan

Results are only viewable after voting.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Because NXT doesn't have to worry about appealing to kids, and casuals, and selling toys, and appearing on Sportscenter and shilling reality shows and trending on Twitter. It's able to be a much more focused product.

You say that, but the main things that make NXT enjoyable (long-term booking, logical finishes, and great matches) are not things that fly in the face of "appealing to kids, casuals, and selling toys". It's easy to explain it away like that, but that's just not the case. NXT is just booked smarter.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Really wondering if the finish was changed by Drew the moment he felt the injury, theres really no time for him to make that decision, its only like a 3 second window.

I know they like to say the refs are always instructed to go for 3, but Ive seen that not happen a million times.

Guess well find out eventually.

No. Keller is reporting that Almas was always meant to win. The injury happened extremely late in the match. None of the spots were changed, let alone the finish being switched.

Deleted member 3761

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
• NXT PPV's feel great because they're polar opposites from the weekly shows. RAW/SD ones use the same set.

• I want AJ/Nak for the WWE belt at the Take Over before WM, not at WM.

• Wow Black has moves for dayyyyys. Also Dream is good but Black does some great selling. Black might be a bit AJ-like?

• I like Moon as much as Era hates her but anyone who thinks she was the wrong choice to win is insane. She's the only one of the four who's been built up for months. Would've been ridiculous booking to have anyone else take the belt.

• Was surprised by Royce. Still don't care for either the iconic duo overall.

• McIntyre is boring and his kilt is stupid. Better match than it is any right to be. McIntyre the anti-AJ? Momentum killer finish but personally happy with the result.

• First time I've seen TUE in action. Doesn't wwe have enough little boring guys, does it need a whole stable of them?

• War games was a bit dull until sanity got in there. Really like that whole team now.

• Double ropes in the middle is really awkward...

• I love "all backbreaker everything" Roderick Strong

• Too many good moments to mention but NXT PPV booking > all other WWE booking.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Because NXT doesn't have to worry about appealing to kids, and casuals, and selling toys, and appearing on Sportscenter and shilling reality shows and trending on Twitter. It's able to be a much more focused product.

Did you miss all the toy adverts during the event? Liteally Mauro was shilling a toy line with the toys in front of him :P

Djkhaled

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hunter just said on Facebook McIntyre suffered a suspected torn bicep and will likely need surgery.. So that's him out for the foreseeable anyway. Guessing McIntyre changed the outcome on the fly when he suspected something was up.

That means, IIRC, that's a good eight or so months out. So missing Takeovers Philly, New Orleans, the May Takeover (assuming they do one to fill the lull between Spring and Summer Takeovers ala Chicago this year in May) and back in time for Brooklyn IV. Fucking rough.

Lmao. Someone like Drew doesn't have the power to just change a title match finish.

Kornflayx

Oct 27, 2017
Couple of thoughts about Takeover:

• Black vs. Dream was MOTN
  • Lars is awesome
  • They got the title off Mr. No Charisma (fantastic)
  • SAnitY is MADE after that match, fantastic performance
  • Don't really care about Ember, but the match was good

mattsdl

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Great takeover, War Games match and especially Aleister Black vs Velveteen Dream more than delivered.

Loved the celebrations from the new champions with Almas, a dude that you could not have seen in that position a year ago, and Asuka presenting the title to Ember.

Alexander Wolfe taking a bump after going through the table was super dumb and unnecessary. I thought they maybe needed him for the finish and kept him in because of that but they really didn't.

TraBuch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm watching NXT for the first time since the last Takeover and, uh, Velveteen Dream actually got over? I thought for sure that gimmick was DOA when I first heard about it.

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
No way the men's title match was called on the fly. Almas' music started a second after the pin. Horrible that Drew got injured but I find him so boring and I think Almas has been on fire for over a year. He always brings a massive amount of energy to him matches and he is super crisp. So happy he won.

The PPV was fantastic as a whole and I really feel like nxt is in a good place again after not looking so hot for a while. I was disappointed the woman's match wasn't better but it was far from bad. Just a bit forgettable.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm watching NXT for the first time since the last Takeover and, uh, Velveteen Dream actually got over? I thought for sure that gimmick was DOA when I first heard about it.

Everything gets over in NXT. His gimmick gelled really well with Aleister Black's. Expect it to get mangled up on the main roster and for him to be doing stink faces and slapping butts like Big E

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Everything gets over in NXT. His gimmick gelled really well with Aleister Black's. Expect it to get mangled up on the main roster and for him to be doing stink faces and slapping butts like Big E

"The only Dream match you want Velveteen is exclusively in your dreams with me in your kingsize bed, sorry pal but that's just not my scene, good for you though!"
John-Cena-Smug-Smackdown-7417.jpg

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
So I admittedly hadn't seen too much of Dream before this Takeover but man I'm sold 100% completely on him....love that he took what should be a deathnail gimmick, owned it, and is now over huge. That is true talent...he's still young but man is he gonna be a star.

Black is awesome as well and that match ruled....was a great cap to an awesome program, the post match stuff was great too.

Super happy Almas got the title, have loved him since he turned heel...I know someone earlier mentioned him having a stable, that'd be interesting.

The WarGames match far exceeded my expectations....great train wreck match.

Best Takeover yet from top to bottom and dare I say this is the best NXT has been all around since.....well maybe ever?

Floex

Oct 27, 2017
Having what was perhaps the worst match yet in the Takeovers with the opening match (sorry, big man who just yells does nothing for me) to that final match, wow. They delivered and then some with War Games.

Dream/Black was a great showcase for both guys.

Amazes me every damn time it's the same company. The main program tonight will once again flounder to NxT.

Last edited:

DL Clyde

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished watching WarGames and it was amazing! The match itself was great but Aleister Black v. Velveteen Dream was match of the night for me. When Velveteen Dream made his debut I thought this is 100% WWE gimmick and it wouldn't work. I missed a ton of NXT in that time until this past month and with the great build up between the two, that match was my most anticipated - and it delivered.

I am concerned for the Velveteen Dream when he gets his main roster call up.

The PPV was so good that I didn't post anything while it was happening. I wish Velveteen would have won though.

I think Aleister Black winning was the right result. I don't think it's the right time to stop his winning streak but it was a hell of a match and Black saying Velveteen Dream's name at the end probably helped get him over despite the loss. Fantastic from both performers.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Had this and SS spoiled. Can someone link me to the dream match? Or is it on the network?

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I hated Velveteen Dream until I saw him and Black go at a House show in the summer became an instant fan after that

The best thing about the Dream/Black match at TakeOver is that it was nothing, absolutely nothing like the one I saw at the House Show, it wasn't worst or better or anything just as amazing in a completely different way.

Deleted member 274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I liked him trash talking to to Cole before he hit the Van Dainanator on Kyle. He was pretty cool before but he hadn't had that one breakout match performance until War Games.
The match he had against Drew a bunch of months ago was utter garbage and really made me believe for a second he just wasn't good enough, so glad I was wrong.