• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What was Match of the Nignt?

• Matt Riddle - Roderick Strong

Votes: 13 16.5%
  • NXT Tag Team Championship ladder match

Votes: 29 36.7%
  • Velveteen Dream - Tyler Breeze

Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Shayna Baszler - Io Shirai

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Johnny Gargano - Adam Cole II

Votes: 28 35.4%

• Total voters

JehutyRunner

Oct 26, 2017
dd716a8-2a21a5ca-f07e-4f7e-b57c-076b5341b02f.png

Live from... *checks notes*... huh.

Live from Bridg-really? Okay.

Live from the Webster Arena in Bridgeport, Connecticut, it's NXT Takeover XXV!

Watch on the WWE Network: Watch from Saturday, June 1, from 7pm EST/4pm PST/12am GMT/1am CET (look it up elsewhere if you're outside either of those timezones). If you're not a sub already, you'll get a month's free trial on the Network - which includes NXT Takeover XXV and Super Showdown Saudi Propaganda Show III - for free! All usually for the mighty low price of…

4V0dJfHAAJsJhN-eVQRifzGzMTW_caz1GI_QduJwpKHsKkJNcKf4Mfaf2wdBCbVwpH7c9EXiNSwMDvI-qleui-glKAgvHz94SRYtKP7a5Pn6HimOxWDFLI-LmeS_UIvkPu_kShO5

But free!

Here's a reminder of what happened last time at Takeover: New York.

011_NXT_04052019cm_0607--cb84555d933d1e19ffae8997ee3bd3c9.jpg

War Raiders The Viking Experience The Viking Raiders (Hanson and Rowe Ivar and Erik) def Aleister Black and Ricochet to retain the NXT Tag Team Championships

022_NXT_04052019cm_0886--3a95238038eb5599d174af17610d7c48.jpg

Velveteen Dream def Matt Riddle to retain the NXT North American Championship

043_NXT_04052019dg_2665--f5d94cf0c440fe1f85aa338abd0045af.jpg

WALTER def Pete Dunne to become the new WWE United Kingdom Champion

067_NXT_04052019dg_3586--4cb383c8f788ef2262db68e9ead0118e.jpg

Shayna Baszler def Kairi Sane, Io Shirai and Bianca Belair in a Fatal 4 Way to retain the NXT Women's Championship

089_NXT_04052019dg_4584--b12544dd16b3390d3f126690369a5488.jpg

After being vacated by Tommaso Ciampa pre-Takeover due to injury, Johnny Gargano def Adam Cole 2-1 in a Two Out of Three Falls match to (FINALLY!) become the new NXT Champion

And then this happened:

104_NXT_04052019cm_2440--e70f0c95df86642764346f9e433a240e.jpg

Here's what's on tap at Takeover XXV:

20190517_NXTtakeover_XXV_riddlestrong--fcf4cff5eb38923cfd63e12c0b116cee.jpg

Matt Riddle vs Roderick Strong

Strong's first Takeover singles match since...Takeover Chicago 1? After a backstage beatdown on Riddle on TV, the two will now go at it at Takeover.

20190517_NXTtakeover_XXV_8mantag--99d98ed18f0689c6c0f28cca5f3462bb.jpg

Oney Lorcan and Danny Burch vs The Street Profits (Angelo Dawkins and Montez Ford) vs The Undisputed Era (Kyle O'Reilly and Bobby Fish) in a ladder match for the NXT Tag Team Championship

War Raiders The Viking Experience The Viking Raiders got called up to Raw, so they vacated the NXT Tag belts. Since then, its been a free-for-all scramble by three teams to get hold of the titles, which'll come to a head in a ladder match at Takeover.

(Let's not discuss what happened after the last tag team title ladder match, eh?)

20190522_NXTTakeover_XXV_DreamBreeze--f820b20eb54ba0516a7bab42e5554275.jpg

Velveteen Dream © vs Tyler Breeze for the NXT North American Championship

LOOK EVERYONE, IT'S TYLER!

Tyler Breeze is back in NXT. His first target: the NXT NA Champion who has made NXT 'The Velveteen Experience'. It's clear there's no room in this town for two massive egos, so they're gonna settle this at Takeover. And you know what? This legit low key could be match of the night.

20190513_NXTTakeover_25_BaszlerIo--5bddecc585b1264e85520ca16dcb45c7.jpg

Shayna Baszler © (w Jessamyn Duke and Marina Shafir) vs Io Shirai for the NXT Women's Championship

Baszler is now rid of her biggest rival in NXT after beating Kairi Sane on TV, albeit via DQ, that saw the Pirate Princess depart for the main roster. But a beatdown afterward saw her friend and former Stardom rival Io Shirai try to stop it to no avail, being forced to watch what was going on by The Faux Horsewomen.

At Takeover, Shirai will attempt to avenge her friend, take down Baszler and become the brand new NXT Women's Champion.

20190513_NXTTakeover_25_JohnyAdam--27c47d60751183cd195b00de3bde01cb.jpg

Johnny Gargano © vs Adam Cole II for the NXT Championship

One of the best NXT matches of all time. The first WWE brand match to ever break Meltzer's five-star scale. One of the most cathartic matches in NXT history.

What else can you say about the match that was WWE's best match on Wrestlemania weekend? Johnny Gargano and Adam Cole (BAYBAY!) stole the show at Takeover: New York with Gargano walking away with the title after a 2-1 win over Cole in a Two Out of Three Falls match.

After Cole's badgering of the fact he won the first fall in Brooklyn in April and that if it was just on that first fall, he'd now be NXT Champion. Now, the two now go at it again to definitive prove a winner once and for all in a match scheduled for - and only for - one fall (ONE FALL!).

If it's anything like back in April, this'll be incredible.

Notes:

Takeover Pre-Show on the WWE Network with Charly Caruso, TOMMASO CIAMPA IN HIS APPEARANCE POST-TAKEOVER: NEW YORK, Pat McAfee and Sam fuckhead Roberts - 6:30pm EST/3:30pm PST/11:30pm GMT/12:30am CET

Thanks to Serene for the OT suggestion!

Last edited:

Guzim

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going tonight since Bridgeport is about 20 minutes from where I live. I can't wait. I think each match has the potential to be match of the night. It'll be great to see Tyler Breeze again.

On a side note, a friend of mine saw Ciampa at the gym here in CT yesterday.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
want io to win, that's all i really care about.

another nxt takeover that ppl probably go in underwhelmed but leave being surprised at how good it was.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
If rumors* are true Matt Riddle is going up to Raw on Monday, sooo... Strong wins? Who knows with this organization anymore.

I would be willing to bet that the Velveteen/Breeze match is every bit as good as the Cole/Gargano one.

How long is Ciampa still out for?

*Rumors = his twitter account

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
As a fun trip down memory lane, check out this uproxx article that briefly runs down the previous 24 takeovers.
At their worst they were okay, at their best they've been among the best content ever under the WWE umbrella.

Unfortunate that same umbrella kinda hinders the hype for this one, it all trickles down and now more than ever, even so I'd expect another good outing for NXT.

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017
First Takeover I don't care about. The main product is so bad it's just sour me on everything WWE sadly.

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Should be a damn good show like every other Takeover but my hype is pretty low for this one, hopefully Shirai wins since I think Shayna is due for a call up to the main roster.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
Dream vs. Breeze for the theatrics and Io vs. Shayna for the division's future are the matches I care most about on this card.
Edit: Baszler being called up could really spice up the main roster because they could use her exactly as Rousey. Her vs. Becky would be money. But I have zero confidence they'll use her right. They could have booked Sonya Deville as a tough MMA chick as well by now because she's good enough for a run at the belt, but they can't see past her being Mandy's sidekick.

Last edited:
OP
OP

JehutyRunner

Oct 26, 2017
Guessing it'll be Vic Joseph commentating on this one rather than Mauro because of the Anthony Joshua fight?

DarkstarIV

Feb 21, 2018

Basic translation: I will avenge you!

I'm rooting for Io (because holy shit Shayna's reign has gone on for way too long and its starting to actually harm the division), but I can't help but think Shayna is gonna find some way to retain tonight, and either Io will get punted out of the title picture or they'll drag it to Toronto. Shayna has no one left to face, either. She's steamrolled every other babyface on the roster except for Io.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm rooting for Io (because holy shit Shayna's reign has gone on for way too long and its starting to actually harm the division), but I can't help but think Shayna is gonna find some way to retain tonight, and either Io will get punted out of the title picture or they'll drag it to Toronto. Shayna has no one left to face, either. She's steamrolled every other babyface on the roster except for Io.
I like Shayna just fine, but yeah. Her title reign has gone on too long. She should have dropped it to Bianca last time. I can't see keeping the title on her just because Frick and Frack aren't ready for the main roster yet.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I like Shayna just fine, but yeah. Her title reign has gone on too long. She should have dropped it to Bianca last time. I can't see keeping the title on her just because Frick and Frack aren't ready for the main roster yet.

They already have plans for those two when she leaves, so that really doesn't have much to do with it.

DarkstarIV

Feb 21, 2018
They already have plans for those two when she leaves, so that really doesn't have much to do with it.
How recently were those plans made? Because Triple H had said before Takeover Wargames last year that he wants to keep Shayna with Jessamyn and Marina until they are ready to be called up. I feel like WWE's mindset of trying to make this MMA 4HW vs WWE 4HW feud a reality at some point is actively harmful to the NXT Women's division at this point. Shayna doesn't need the title to be a threat. Let her chase Io into Toronto, get called up, and feud with Becky or something after that.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

DarkstarIV

Feb 21, 2018
Because Vince just doesn't want to call her up yet
Either way, that doesn't mean she needs to be champion the majority of the time she's down there either. It's seriously starting to hurt the division. Let her lose tonight and then chase into Toronto and lose there as well. But she needs to go up soon, or be moved out of the title picture. Because there are a LOT of other women waiting in the wings to have a chance to shine, but can't.

I mean you see the effects of it backstage as well, with rumors of Chelsea Green (before her injury), Deonna Purazzo, and a few other talents unhappy that they aren't getting spots on TV. Both of whom are heels right now, but don't get time to shine because its the Shayna and MMA friends show.

Last edited:

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
is gargano willing to give what it takes to draw another 4 and a half stars?!?!?

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Either way, that doesn't mean she needs to be champion the majority of the time she's down there either. It's seriously starting to hurt the division. Let her lose tonight and then chase into Toronto and lose there as well. But she needs to go up soon, or be moved out of the title picture. Because there are a LOT of other women waiting in the wings to have a chance to shine, but can't.
To be fair, Asuka had the women's title for like 90 years and it didn't really matter. But on the other hand, A) Shayna isn't Asuka. And B) the NXT women's division isn't very robust at the moment.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
If it wasnt for their hair, I would not be able to tell the difference between Ciampa and Cole.
I know both branches of NXT are a realm of beardy white men in black trunks, but mendez from Resi 4 looks noticeably different than weasel HBK.

Though I guess maybe you meant Gargano.

DOES HE HAVE ONE MORE IN HIM?
One more extra kick out probably

(man I hope they reel that in after last time)

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, Asuka had the women's title for like 90 years and it didn't really matter. But on the other hand, A) Shayna isn't Asuka. And B) the NXT women's division isn't very robust at the moment.

NXT's women's division is way, way, way better now than it was when Asuka was champion. You could actually make the argument that until the last few months of her reign, there was no good option other than Asuka.

Now you've got, just in NXT and not counting UK:

- Shayna
- Io
- Mia Yim
- Bianca
- Candice
- Deonna
- Chelsea Green
- Dakota back soon
- Tegan back soon
- Kacy
- Karen Q
- Rachel Ellering
- Xia Li

And that's not even considering the UK women's division, which I'd rate above this one

DarkstarIV

Feb 21, 2018
I would argue the opposite is true for point B. It's very robust right now, its just Shayna has bulldozed everything. And it wasn't very robust when Asuka was champion.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
- Shayna
- Io
- Mia Yim
- Bianca
- Candice
- Deonna
- Chelsea Green
- Dakota back soon
- Tegan back soon
- Kacy
- Karen Q
- Rachel Ellering
- Xia Li

And that's not even considering the UK women's division, which I'd rate above this one
That's a great list, no question. But how many of those can you see, realistically, getting a push to the title scene?

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That's a great list, no question. But how many of those can you see, realistically, getting a push to the title scene?

In terms of who has the ability or who would they push?

Because I honestly think all of them have the ability to get to that spot or else I wouldn't have listed them. It's why I left out the Aliyah and Vanessa Borne tier talents.

OP
OP

JehutyRunner

Oct 26, 2017

For sure: Candice, Io, Ellering and esp Tegan. They have a ready built story for her with her injuries. All they need is Rhea in NXT main rather than UK, have her be the champ and have Tegan win it off her.

DarkstarIV

Feb 21, 2018
For sure: Candice, Io, Ellering and esp Tegan. They have a ready built story for her with her injuries. All they need is Rhea in NXT main rather than UK, have her be the champ and have Tegan win it off her.
To be honest, I could see Tegan being on NXT UK or being on tag team duty with Dakota Kai. Triple H said in the conference call that he's still trying to get the women's tag team titles to show up on NXT and be defended at a show there.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy how many people you can just, like, forget work for WWE

I was looking at the NXT roster on the PC website and saw Punishment Martinez and was like "oh yeah, they did hire him"

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
To be honest, I could see Tegan being on NXT UK or being on tag team duty with Dakota Kai. Triple H said in the conference call that he's still trying to get the women's tag team titles to show up on NXT and be defended at a show there.

thanks for reminding us that we could have had Sasha/Bayley vs Io/Kairi on a Takeover...

Serene hates you now and so do I.

It's crazy how many people you can just, like, forget work for WWE

I was looking at the NXT roster on the PC website and saw Punishment Martinez and was like "oh yeah, they did hire him"

Keith Lee...

come on Hunter!

Also why the fuck isnt Kushida on this Takeover?

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
See, I have a hard time seeing Candace in the title picture based on her booking so far.
thanks for reminding us that we could have had Sasha/Bayley vs Io/Kairi on a Takeover...

Serene hates you now and so do I.

Yo, me too.