• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some folks : "she really needs to talk about 9/11 like a real American or a right winger might hurt her .?its so idiotic of her to not be clear as to what she means because she needs to show her loyalty and don't get me started on the rag on her head "
Point out where the bolded has been implied, in any way,by others here and tally the number of posters. Go ahead. It should be easy enough.

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm 100% on her side, which is why I feel like I have to speak honestly: Rep. Ilhan made a slightly poor choice of words, and now that's being leveraged against her in a racist hate campaign.
Acknowledging that the choice of words was slightly poor isn't coming from hate or bigotry, it's coming from a belief that it's wrong to ignore mistakes made by friends because we're on the same side. That's what the other side does.

It actually legitimizes the bullshit smear campaign being waged against her to act like this is a "mistake", but I'm glad that you, an enlightened internet rando, are here to adjudicate such matters on behalf of all our dumb minority congresswomen who can't possibly understand what their words mean.

This shit is literally going to get her killed, and all you people can manage is "she really should have known better." Fuck. Off.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
It actually legitimizes the bullshit smear campaign being waged against her to act like this is a "mistake", but I'm glad that you, an enlightened internet rando, are here to adjudicate such matters on behalf of all our dumb minority congresswomen who can't possibly understand what their words mean.
Way too try and smear someone as racist and misogynist to try and get your misconstrued point across.

nemoral

Oct 25, 2017
Fiddler's Green
It continues to amaze me at the number of self proclaimed liberals and progressives happy to carry water for Islamophobic Republicans because either they think it makes them seem reasonable, or because they were secretly just racists themselves.

Byakuya769

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Wow. Ilhan sucks. She doesn't even realize that she needs to be twice as good or otherwise her allies will hop in the tub of stupid with Republicans parsing everything she says for evil Muslim intent.

I wish some of you would be honest with yourselves and everyone else and just tell us you want her to shut up and let someone else speak.

Oct 31, 2017
Meanwhile, trump gets shout outs during mass murders and brushes it off like "that guy's just crazy, I guess"

and it's completely normalized

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone notice how the anti-Semitism charge about dual loyalty and now this idiocy were both started by far right idiots online who completely changed and twisted her words which is then followed by so called liberal allies falling all over themselves to chastise her?

Maybe, just maybe it's not her words but who she is.

free_bubble

Oct 27, 2017
You know what? Fuck it, I'll admit it--I'm offended that she referred to 9/11 as just some people doing something. I don't condone what the Post and others are trying to do because they are transparently trying to incite anti-Muslim sentiment and even violence. But putting aside any political considerations, that's not how you refer to the single most traumatizing event in the nation's history. Insinuate I'm a racist or an idiot all you want but this would have hurt her politically regardless.

Otherist

Oct 27, 2017
England
The idea that she "worded it badly" is utter nonsense when you read the context of even the sentence itself. She was drawing attention to the fact that a large number of people were losing civil liberties for something that a small group of people did--- oops, I just used the words "something" and "people", I guess I'm trampling on the memory of 9/11 too? Doesn't hold up to even the barest scrutiny.

The reality is that what she said had nothing whatsoever to do with it; they are contriving reasons to smear her because she is a visible, outspoken Muslim woman who was elected to Congress, and this just happened to be their most convenient angle.

The_hypocrite

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Flyover State
You know what? Fuck it, I'll admit it--I'm offended that she referred to 9/11 as just some people doing something. I don't condone what the Post and others are trying to do because they are transparently trying to incite anti-Muslim sentiment and even violence. But putting aside any political considerations, that's not how you refer to the single most traumatizing event in the nation's history. Insinuate I'm a racist or an idiot all you want but this would have hurt her politically regardless.
Being this dumb must be a privilege.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It continues to amaze me at the number of self proclaimed liberals and progressives happy to carry water for Islamophobic Republicans because either they think it makes them seem reasonable, or because they were secretly just racists themselves.

I guess the same people that helped the right paint her as anti-semitic weren't content looking dumb as shit this week. This story will go the exact same way.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, you're both. If you can live with that I'm sure we can.

The_hypocrite

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Flyover State
The idea that she "worded it badly" is utter nonsense when you read the context of even the sentence itself. She was drawing attention to the fact that a large number of people were losing civil liberties for something that a small group of people did--- oops, I just used the words "something" and "people", I guess I'm trampling on the memory of 9/11 too? Doesn't hold up to even the barest scrutiny.

The reality is that what she said had nothing whatsoever to do with it; they are contriving reasons to smear her because she is a visible, outspoken Muslim woman who was elected to Congress, and this just happened to be their most convenient angle.
Of course!! Plus look at the audience, she was speaking to the Council on American-Islamic Relations.

Oct 25, 2017
Does she have a special responsibility to chose her words on 9/11?

You kind of are responsible for your own words, yeah. If I say the Holocaust was "some guys did something" people would rightly point out that's downplaying it.

That doesn't mean the people deliberately and maliciously spreading that quote to push an ideological agenda and possibly harm me would be right, and I'm under no illusions about what is the bigger threat here. But you're saying that people whose politics you agree with shouldn't have to ever chose their words precisely.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
No, I'm not a bigot, but keep trying to paint me as such. You're not particularly clever or subtle.

It drives me crazy that she makes these moronic comments like these. She was trying to make a good point that following the terrorist attacks of 9/11, Muslim Americans are treated differently and worse. But now everyone will only talk about how she said "some people did something."

The problem is with those who are intentionally twisting her words. Not her words.

She's the moron because people, in bad faith, mischaracterize her comments. Simply put, they'd be saying/doing the same things they are doing now, regardless of her wording.

Questioning her loyalty to America, simply because she's Muslim, isn't something that just started after these comments.

Amazing that anyone can argue that it's her responsibility to coddle the emotions of her detractors. It's their responsibility to not be assholes.

nemoral

Oct 25, 2017
Fiddler's Green
that's not how you refer to the single most traumatizing event in the nation's history
Are you high on fucking crack? It's not even in the top three. Just because you lived through it doesn't inflate its importance. We've been through multiple world wars, a revolution, and an insanely bloody civil war that killed about 200 times as many Americans, and whose effects are still being felt today. Get the fuck out of here with trying to inflate the importance of 9/11 so you have a bigger stick to beat a Muslim with.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Aww, why did you went ahead and ruined the baby's fun? Bad Samoyed, if it isn't the worst thing ever how will he justify demonizing the black muslim woman?
I wonder if the Great Depression is "more traumatic" when all's said and done. I wanted to say yes but there's some mitigating factors there.

The people who care so deeply about the tragedy and symbolism behind 9/11 very rarely are the relatives and friends of those who died in the attack, nor New Yorkers themselves, but people who feel the attack was on their personal American-ness.

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
There's a level of performative solemnity and indignation expected of politicians speaking about national tragedies, and Muslims about 9/11 in particular. When someone like Omar refers directly to an event like 9/11 with plain language, people (even ordinarily well-meaning ones) will immediately jump to the conclusion that anything but the compulsory refrain of explicit condemnation is implied disrespect or disloyalty, even as the expectation of vociferous patriotism is part of the discrimination she is criticising.

I won't pretend she got that message across to people in the best way, but it's important that people realize that topics like these are fraught with taboos, emotional landmines, and misunderstanding, and it's both common and necessary that people say things that won't sound elegant to everyone in order to move the conversation forward.

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

There was this thing that happened between 1861-1865 that you may want to read up about.

Performative signaling about 9/11 is so tiresome.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's a level of performative solemnity and indignation expected of politicians speaking about national tragedies, and Muslims about 9/11 in particular. When someone like Omar refers directly to an event like 9/11 with plain language, people (even ordinarily well-meaning ones) will immediately jump to the conclusion that anything but the compulsory refrain of explicit condemnation is implied disrespect or disloyalty, even as the expectation of vociferous patriotism is part of the discrimination she is criticising.
This is exactly, it. "Performative solemnity" is a great way to describe it.

I won't pretend she got that message across to people in the best way, but it's important that people realize that topics like these are fraught with taboos, emotional landmines, and misunderstanding, and it's both common and necessary that people say things that won't sound elegant to everyone in order to move the conversation forward.
However I kind of disagree with this. The cure for "performative solemnity" is to reject it, not to respect its demands. No one talks about WWI like this anymore. Some jingoistic types still wax nostalgic about the Civil War or the American Revolution but that's the thing, performative solemnity is very important to nationalism but not so important outside of it.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I wonder if the Great Depression is "more traumatic" when all's said and done. I wanted to say yes but there's some mitigating factors there.

The people who care so deeply about the tragedy and symbolism behind 9/11 very rarely are the relatives and friends of those who died in the attack, nor New Yorkers themselves, but people who feel the attack was on their personal American-ness.

But don't you understand, they hate us for our freedoms! That's why it's so important that we restrict it! (That's the canonical conclusion to draw here, right? I was a middle schooler when the whole thing* happened)

*uh sorry I mean the most devastating attack to occur on American soil. wait, hold on. pushes finger to ear, whispers aside from the genocide of native americans or the civil war you mean, surely?

OP
OP

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018

This is the expected response from common sense folks . Instead we get the "not aggressive enough" describing 9/11 continues to fuel the threats against her and yes I am saying those dems libs and progressives who went straight to her choice of words are those who are enabling the escalation towards one nut acting badly

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Sure, the issue here's that Omar didn't word things in a satisfactory manner. Not at all that the majority of congress say ridiculously worse shit on both sides and then don't have media put out propaganda calling for their murder.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
Your ass has been showing all over this thread. Try not to keep drawing attention to it.
I'm not the one trying to smear someone with unjust labels because that's the only way you can try and silence someone that doesn't agree with ignoring comments made by a public figure. Comments that would rightly be argued against under similar rhetoric on the other side. I'll show my luscious ass as much as I want to thank you very much.

GE25JVT.gif

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

This is the expected response from common sense folks . Instead we get the "not aggressive enough" describing 9/11 continues to fuel the threats against her and yes I am saying those dems libs and progressives who went straight to her choice of words are those who are enabling the escalation towards one nut acting badly

I mean Jesus, if even the Pod Bros can manage to see through the sanctimonious bullshit, how fucking dense do you have to be to come down on the side of "she needs to do better"?

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
I'm not getting the whole "but she should have chosen her words better!" hot takes. No one speaks perfectly 24/7, and If she was a white dude no one would've batted an eye.

The horrifying thing is they're clearly policing Omar's every word, hoping to find any small thing they can use to incite violence towards her. It's brazen and it's disgusting.

free_bubble

Oct 27, 2017

You have a truly jaundiced view of people if that's what you believe. I can only speak for myself (my admittedly ill-thought out and inaccurate claim that 9/11 was the most X notwithstanding) but the horror of that day has never left me. I can't imagine what it was like for the victims or their families, and my feelings about it pale in comparison to theirs, but to then claim that the only reason I could care is in the form of some petty slight to some personal sense of nationalism is an incredible insult. I'm not patriotic. At all. I cite the nation as a stand-in for its people, the individual humans who witnessed what happened on that day. There was no need for me to proclaim that 9/11 was the most anything. But I think most people understood what I was getting at with that.

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
She didn't say ANYTHING wrong here. This is a transcript, which already misses the tone, but it's ALSO taken out of context. Shame on anyone for jumping at any opportunity to act "concerned".

And Crenshawn can miss me. IDGAF where and what you served in the military, that doesn't give you the right to perpetuate braindead ideas about a group of people.

We know rhetoric matters and when you push the rhetoric that Ilhan is un-American, that she doesn't respect America, that she's different—you're gonna stir up something. And it only takes one. One person that swallows the rhetoric is enough to end the lives of many.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
This is disgusting and dangerous! the GOP won;t stop this until(God forbid) she's attcked ndb then act like they did nothing wrong, and most of the dems will barely move a finger to help her! this is so infuriating!!!

OP
OP

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I mean Jesus, if even the Pod Bros can manage to see through the sanctimonious bullshit, how fucking dense do you have to be to come down on the side of "she needs to do better"?

The obvious obvious nature and intent of her comments is the reason I'm being aggressive in pointing out the ridiculousness of going at her words like they matter a lot because either you have to be completely aloof or completely islamophobic