• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just use the thread to update your ignore list, these bad faith actors are concern trolling and probably laughing about it on another board.

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if all of the conservatives who were talking about context in regards to Candance Owens are going to grant Ilhan the same courtesy.

Lmao

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
This is exactly, it. "Performative solemnity" is a great way to describe it.

However I kind of disagree with this. The cure for "performative solemnity" is to reject it, not to respect its demands. No one talks about WWI like this anymore. Some jingoistic types still wax nostalgic about the Civil War or the American Revolution but that's the thing, performative solemnity is very important to nationalism but not so important outside of it.

I didn't mean to imply that I think people should acquiesce to the bullshit, just that breaking taboos necessarily means offending people, even some you might ordinarily be allies with. But I think it's important to both challenge these people and give them room to grow.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
No? What are you even asking me? All I'm saying is that it was a stupid decision to describe a terrorist act as "some people did something."
Okay. I'm a white male and if I described 9-11 as "some people did something" I would likely be called on that statement for downplaying what actually happened. No, Omar does not have a special responsibility in how she describes it but ANYONE should be called to task if they downplay what actually happened, whether they're black, white, whatever.

But that's not the topic at hand I suppose. What the post has done is far, far worse than Omar's words in describing 9-11. They have a special responsibility in reporting, or they should.

We cannot discuss both points in this thread because one is far worse and that's what everyone is going to focus on

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
The NY post has always been a trashfire paper. I can't wait for the day they crash and burn out of their hateful existence.

Otherist

Oct 27, 2017
England
Seriously, quit even allowing for the idea that she wasn't respectful enough of 9/11. The context makes it very obvious that she was using appropriate words to concisely put across her actual point. The amount of respect she has or was displaying for 9/11 is completely, flat-out, 100% irrelevant here; even having that conversation is giving credence to the fraudulent conservative narrative. They contrived this out of thin air.

free_bubble

Oct 27, 2017
You literally just admitted to inflating its importance in your last post.

That's not what I said. I feel like this is going to turn into a back-and-forth further derailing of this thread so I'm just going to bow out now. Because for the record I agree with this, especially the bolded part:

But that's not the topic at hand I suppose. What the post has done is far, far worse than Omar's words in describing 9-11. They have a special responsibility in reporting, or they should.

We cannot discuss both points in this thread because one is far worse and that's what everyone is going to focus on

Edit: It's late in the day but I see what you're saying, nemoral. I did not intend to inflate the importance of 9/11. I actually struggle to understand how one could even do that. I guess what I was getting at by most traumatizing is the aspect of 9/11 that used to make it unique: that it was broadcast for everyone to see in excruciating detail, nonstop, for weeks on end. But yeah I'm going to walk back that claim because at the end of the day how could you begin to prove it? And again, what does it matter to the point I was making? The point is that it's a sensitive topic for many people, which makes the actions of the Post and others even more dangerous and despicable.

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The US has entered into some bizarro fucked up period..who knew the Bush era would seem more sane than what we see today. These fuckers are straight up trying to hurt Ilhan

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
As I mentioned in the other thread, the front page is abhorrent. Regardless of my feelings on Omar's comments, the Post should be ashamed of themselves for that.

Then again it's been a rag for a long time, so shouldn't be too surprised.

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
Okay. I'm a white male and if I described 9-11 as "some people did something" I would likely be called on that statement for downplaying what actually happened. No, Omar does not have a special responsibility in how she describes it but ANYONE should be called to task if they downplay what actually happened, whether they're black, white, whatever.

If what you were saying was just "9/11 was something some people did" and left it at that, then people WILL look at you funny. Because we understand how bad it was.

If what you're saying is "9/11 was something some people did" when you're reffering to wether or not the entirety of the Muslim people are to blame, then it takes on a completely different meaning.

Nishastra

Oct 27, 2017
Here's the problem with that, Terrorists are not a race. She was talking about a specific race being held responsible for the actions of a few. She wasn't speaking on the atrocity of their actions, but the aftermath of bigotry and hate she and all Muslims have faced since then.

The fact that the "outrage" here is that she herself wasn't labeling Muslims as Terrorists In that sentence is pretty telling of how deep seeded the hate and bigotry towards Muslims really is and how synonymous people have made Muslims with Terrorists.
This is exactly it. Some people can't even begin to grasp what she was actually saying because the assumption is that she was talking about "terrorists", which misses the point very fundamentally.

If you replaced what she said with what they want to hear, the result would be nonsensical. She phrased it that way for a reason, and that reason very specifically had nothing to do with 9/11 itself.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, when republicans call out republicans terrorists as exactly that, I will say what she said is an issue.

As long white nationalist gop cunts freely dance around the fact that they are radicalizing domestic terrorists, I ain't going to say shit about what she said.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
This is the unfortunate truth. Either kill her or scare her enough to silence her forever.

She should rethink how she approaches topics on Twitter. Being PC works both ways. We know 9/11 is a terrorist attack and an atrocity but you have got to phrase it properly than saying it's "some people, did some things" She isn't in a bar, trying to make a point.
Victim blaming isn't a good look my guy

Oct 26, 2017
Vox had a good breakdown of why this whole thing is a farce clearly manipulated farce:
This week, leading Republicans and their allies in the media have been using an out-of-context quote from a recent speech by Rep. Ilham Omar (D-MN) to paint her as an anti-American radical indifferent to those killed during the 9/11 attacks. There was even a front-page New York Post juxtaposing her name with an image of the attack on the Twin Towers.

The supposedly controversial comments came in a speech Omar gave at a banquet for the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), a Muslim civil rights organization, in late March. In footage of the address uploaded to YouTube on Tuesday, Omar discusses the need for organizations like CAIR to ensure that Muslims writ large aren't punished for the actions of a handful of extremists on 9/11.

"Far too long we have lived with the discomfort of being a second-class citizen, and frankly, I'm tired of it, and every single Muslim in this country should be tired of it," Omar said at the event. "CAIR was founded after 9/11 because they recognized that some people did something and that all of us were starting to lose access to our civil liberties."

Sounds harmless, right? But if stripped out of the context, Omar's phrase "some people did something" can be spun as minimizing the significance of 9/11 for both the victims and the country writ large. This is not remotely accurate if you watch the full video, which I encourage you to do as a counterpoint to the out-of-context attacks. At the end, for example, she speaks movingly about how America's national values motivated her family to immigrate to the United States.

"As an American member of Congress, I have to make sure I live up to the ideals of fighting for liberty and justice — those are very much rooted in the reason why my family came here," she says.

Not exactly what an anti-American ideologue would say. But the full context hasn't stopped Republicans from using the out-of-context version to bash Omar.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Post is the very definition of a rag. Not even fit to wipe my ass with. Fucking disgusting disgrace to actual journalism. We know the GOP will be racist shitheads when given a chance, but unsurprisingly disappointed in all these Dems who fail to defend her. Really showing their true colors with this shit.

Zoc

Oct 27, 2017
It actually legitimizes the bullshit smear campaign being waged against her to act like this is a "mistake", but I'm glad that you, an enlightened internet rando, are here to adjudicate such matters on behalf of all our dumb minority congresswomen who can't possibly understand what their words mean.

This shit is literally going to get her killed, and all you people can manage is "she really should have known better." Fuck. Off.

We're all internet randos in here, Terminus.

I don't personally think that anything Rep. Ilhan has said is offensive at all, but if someone else was honestly offended they should be allowed to say so without being attacked by Jacobins like you.

Oct 26, 2017
OP
OP

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Vox had a good breakdown of why this whole thing is a farce clearly manipulated farce:

You expect this from gop but when some liberals and progressives do this it creates the narrative that she is the lightning rod for gop and a headache for Dems. A headache because some dems are using their conscious or subconscious bigotry and applying it to her every news with a "but" in their comments on the event

julian

Oct 27, 2017
My blood boils whenever I see Republicans invoke 9/11. It's almost always fucking disgusting and disrespectful.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
She's going to get assassinated at this point, and that's clearly exactly what they would all love to happen. If Trump gets re-elected America is going to be a very dark place after a few more years of this. That's guaranteed regardless at this point quite frankly. The bad guys keep winning. Urgh.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
This is all just Repub distraction. Anything to take Barr off the front pages and give Fox something else to bleet about, and a black Muslim woman is an easy target with their base

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Yes, and it happened because there are people twisting and scrutinizing her words to give them malicious intent that wasn't there and along came people like you who, instead of calling them out, nodded sagely along and whispering under your breath, "she deserved it."

In no way does she deserve any of this shit. What the fuck is this? You think that I think she deserves that NY Post cover or the shit coverage from Fox News where they question if she's American?

All because I said that it was moronic to refer to 9/11 as "some people who did some things"? Stop putting words in my mouth.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Reminds me of when the Post ran a picture of the Oklahoma City bombing in response to Trump defending nazis.

Wait...

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the NY Post goes out of business one day and the people who thought this was acceptable step on shit every day.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Disgusting and dangerous. Just like the people in this thread.
this is fucking scary, they're legitimately trying to get someone to murder her
It is. And it's only just begun.
The US has entered into some bizarro fucked up period..who knew the Bush era would seem more sane than what we see today. These fuckers are straight up trying to hurt Ilhan
Nah. It's always been like this.
It's only a muslim woman. Why would they bother lifting a finger?
6RvNCbK.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
In no way does she deserve any of this shit. What the fuck is this? You think that I think she deserves that NY Post cover or the shit coverage from Fox News where they question if she's American?

All because I said that it was moronic to refer to 9/11 as "some people who did some things"? Stop putting words in my mouth.

You're amplifying their message by fixating so strongly on what you think she should have said instead of focusing on the stuff that people like the fuckwits in the NY Post were doing. You're making it the focus of the conversation when it shouldn't be the focus of the conversation.

And yes, it's hard not to see people like you who are so busy making "she shouldn't said this or that or she should've chosen better words" the central point of the conversation as not also putting the blame on her for what people like the fuckwits in NY post are pulling against her, a.k.a. low-key saying that she deserved it a.k.a. victim blaming.

It feels misplaced since this is a thread about a headline that honestly seems like an attempt to put her life in danger, and people are scolding her for it.

Yes, this is precisely so. The energy of making this whole shenanigans as her fault is just so weird to see. Well, maybe not weird because of what and who she is, but still.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Like the only reason we're talking about her words is because some of you guys are coming in here going "well they're not in the right but she could've worded it better".

That's the ONLY reason.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Like the only reason we're talking about her words is because some of you guys are coming in here going "well they're not in the right but she could've worded it better".

That's the ONLY reason.

Yes.

And that's basically victim blaming.

And makes us focusing on the entirely the wrong thing while at the same time amplifying the message intended by the fuckwits like the NY Post people.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Posters: "Fuck the NYP and fuck republicans for endangering Omar"

Some well meaning concerned posters: "She needs to word things better so she doesn't get taken out of context, because of what she said, this thread will now be about her words"

*cue 5 pages arguing about what she 'really said'*

You have literally walked right into their trap and pulled off the right wing's troll job on their behalf on a forum where we keep them out to avoid this very thing.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
Here's the speech President George W. Bush gave at the Islamic Center of Washington D.C. on Sept. 17, 2001:

"Thank you all very much for your hospitality. We've just had a -- wide-ranging discussions on the matter at hand. Like the good folks standing with me, the American people were appalled and outraged at last Tuesday's attacks. And so were Muslims all across the world. Both Americans and Muslim friends and citizens, tax-paying citizens, and Muslims in nations were just appalled and could not believe what we saw on our TV screens.

These acts of violence against innocents violate the fundamental tenets of the Islamic faith. And it's important for my fellow Americans to understand that.

The English translation is not as eloquent as the original Arabic, but let me quote from the Koran, itself: In the long run, evil in the extreme will be the end of those who do evil. For that they rejected the signs of Allah and held them up to ridicule.

The face of terror is not the true faith of Islam. That's not what Islam is all about. Islam is peace. These terrorists don't represent peace. They represent evil and war.

When we think of Islam we think of a faith that brings comfort to a billion people around the world. Billions of people find comfort and solace and peace. And that's made brothers and sisters out of every race -- out of every race.

America counts millions of Muslims amongst our citizens, and Muslims make an incredibly valuable contribution to our country. Muslims are doctors, lawyers, law professors, members of the military, entrepreneurs, shopkeepers, moms and dads. And they need to be treated with respect. In our anger and emotion, our fellow Americans must treat each other with respect.

Women who cover their heads in this country must feel comfortable going outside their homes. Moms who wear cover must be not intimidated in America. That's not the America I know. That's not the America I value.

I've been told that some fear to leave; some don't want to go shopping for their families; some don't want to go about their ordinary daily routines because, by wearing cover, they're afraid they'll be intimidated. That should not and that will not stand in America.

Those who feel like they can intimidate our fellow citizens to take out their anger don't represent the best of America, they represent the worst of humankind, and they should be ashamed of that kind of behavior.

This is a great country. It's a great country because we share the same values of respect and dignity and human worth. And it is my honor to be meeting with leaders who feel just the same way I do. They're outraged, they're sad. They love America just as much as I do.

I want to thank you all for giving me a chance to come by. And may God bless us all."
The fragility here is palatable.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Rando ERA poster two months back: "I love Rep. Omar! She doesn't talk like a D.C. politician."

Same rando ERA poster now: "Rep. Omar goofed up! She needs to learn to speak like an experienced politician."

Oct 25, 2017

Some well meaning concerned posters: "She needs to word things better so she doesn't get taken out of context, because of what she said, this thread will now be about her words"

You have literally walked right into their trap and pulled off the right wing's troll job on their behalf on a forum where we keep them out to avoid this very thing.
It's complete bullshit and I'm sick of it.

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017

It kind of reminds me of how Obama had to basically be his best self at all times in public lest any slip of the tongue be deliberately misconstrued by right-wing media for eight years. He couldn't show too much emotion lest he be labeled as an angry black man. Then we came to the current...thing...in office whose context can be plainly visible for anyone to see, yet so many will bend over backwards to try to somehow misconstrue it back into something good.

Shyotl

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. Stop playing their games as they are never in good faith. There will always be something, and if not they will manufacture something. Stop lending them credence that will never be returned.

Also, the wording is fine in the context of this speech. 'Some people' clearly means 'subset of people(such as terrorists) that correctly or incorrectly are associated with broader group mentioned THE SENTENCE JUST PRIOR'. This is the same stupid splitting hairs bullshit that purists on the left just love to eat up time and time again.

But why won't OBAMA call it RADICAL ISLAMIC TERRORISM?

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
"Some people did something" = HOW FUCKING DARE YOU

"Some bad people committed an act of terror" = Why can't she specify they were Muslim terrorists?!! Hmmmmmmmm??!?!?!!

"Some Muslim terrorists committed a horrible act" = She completely downplayed 9/11. It wasn't just a horrible act.... IT WAS THE WORST DAY IN AMERICAN HISTORY

"Some Radical Islamic Terrorists committed the worst terror attack in American History" = It wasn't just SOME. We fought an ENTIRE WAR against Al Queida and the Taliban. Then we had to take care of ISIS, hell of alot more than just SOME!!!!

Never satisfied fragile white people wanting to control the black muslim woman's language. Great job dorks đź‘Ť