• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Rando ERA poster two months back: "I love Rep. Omar! She doesn't talk like a D.C. politician."

Same rando ERA poster now: "Rep. Omar goofed up! She needs to learn to speak like an experienced politician."

i dunno about rando, seen some mods do the same too
coffee.gif

I was gonna give some posters the benefit of the doubt by being reactionary hot take merchants but even with all the context provided, people are still sticking to their guns.

A less jaded person would chalk it up to internet stubbornness...

Jun 10, 2018
Ilhan Omar should be just as coveted by the left as their darling AOC, but isn't for whatever reason.

I mean, I know why, but its maddening all the same. Just goes to show that just because y'all share the same side side doesn't mean y'all playing on the same team.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Ilhan Omar should be just as coveted by the left as their darling AOC, but isn't for whatever reason.

I mean, I know why, but its maddening all the same. Just goes to show that just because y'all share the same side side doesn't mean y'all playing on the same team.

We need more

The 3 Freshman have continuously had to stave off constant attacks with minimal support from their colleagues.

Like what the fuck. Time to VOTE in a lot more support when we get the chance

Iloelemen

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She really needs to be more careful with her language (as all politicians do). It did come off as dismissive even if not intentional. That said the ny post isn't exactly liberal in their biases but Omar needs to stop giving conservatives ammo to work with. As a progressive member of the Jewish community I've definitely questioned some of what she's said recently especially regarding Israel.

Oh look, a Republican Islamophobe.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017

I wouldn't even call AOC a "darling of the Left". There are a lot on the Left that want her to fail and just go away as well.

Oct 25, 2017
The truth is, many here and elsewhere don't believe Islamophobia is actually a thing.
Or at least they don't understand the severity of it all.
Many Americans(both civilian and politician) have been(and will continue to be) dismissive about the absolute carnage you have caused after this attack.
The constant demonisation and dehumanisation continues to happen to this day, whether it's a kid at school or Ilhan over here.
Don't give me this shit about "choosing your words carefully". You don't hold this standard for others.
Fuck out of here, fake ass fucking "allies".

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Yes she should definitely choose her words better, especially if she can come across as dismissive of an attack that killed near 3,000 people.

But damn I love her. She's speaking her mind even though she is getting targeted like perhaps no other politician in America right now and she's saying things others are afraid to, truthful things.

Anybody with any lick of sense knew what she meant, and as others have pointed out, the Right are going to attack her regardless, they have no problem making shit up and taking things out of context if that's what it takes. They'd love it if she was harmed and they'd have "the false flag" narrative ready to go, you better believe it.

I hope she continues on, but just learns from her missteps. She's a force to be reckoned with and it's refreshing.

Palantiri

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at where Islam stands today in the public eye, the attack twenty years ago is very much some thing done by some people. The act itself, and the actual perpetrators of that act have almost no consequence or weight except as a standard to rally behind. Those people that are victims of that act have been largely ignored unless useful to some other agenda, and the list of victims attributed to the fallout of that act has only grown - many of whom are victims only because of their faith. Even Bush tried to distance Islam from the 9/11 terrorists - but unfortunately for so many, the rhetoric was already in full motion and little has been done in the interim to change the narrative.

It is now very much that every Muslim and every brown person must shoulder the responsibility for that act. We see this as well with the implication that every black person must either speak against a heinous act perpetrated by a black person, or be counted as bad. Yet whites and Christians seem comfortable distancing themselves from any vile act committed by other white/Christian people, even when they have benefitted from those acts.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The NY Post cover is despicable.

Her comments are coming out of being treated like a second class citizen, however describing 9/11 as she does as "something some people did" is fucking dumb. I don't see a way around that. I'm sure I'll be ostracized here and called an Islamophobe myself or something.

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
I've yet to say anything bigoted so it was unwarranted.
Its long been proven that wording doesn't matter.
Look up the daul alliegance conterversy and even this instance, she did not say anything that could even be interpreted as wrong, but the smear campaign is working full force to paint a target on her and your tone policing is doing nothing but supporting it.

Were at the point that this smear campaign is goading the crazies to kill her, one person already tried, Islamaphobia is at an all time fucking high and we still have people going "but her wording troubles me" as if that is the real concern.

For fucks sake, some of you people sicken me if your still trying to tone police.

Last edited:

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
If that's sarcasm and I missed this then I apologize for mistaking that.

It is really hard to see sarcasm these days because there are people that truely believe that.

Sorry, I was mocking the turn the thread had already taken for a long while focusing on her word choice and somehow pretending that's why this is happening to her and that there could have been any way she could have possibly expressed herself that would have been acceptable to hateful racists and bigots.

I actually do think some of those posters probably meant well but, as I'd already pointed out earlier, their concerns are wildly misplaced considering people appear to sincerely want to do her harm. That's not a result of word choice and it's either extremely naive or dangerously ignorant to suggest as much.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix

Her comments are coming out of being treated like a second class citizen, however describing 9/11 as she does as "something some people did" is fucking dumb. I don't see a way around that. I'm sure I'll be ostracized here and called an Islamophobe myself or something.
See you were fine until that last sentence, then you make it sound like there isn't a deliberate attack here on Omar by bad faith actors that don't give a shit about 9/11.

You can think her word choice was poor, but it's pretty clear what she meant. Don't make yourself a victim when Rep Omar is being treated like she's a terrorist that is't even American because she wasn't precise with her words.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
See you were fine until that last sentence, then you make it sound like there isn't a deliberate attack here on Omar by bad faith actors that don't give a shit about 9/11.

You can think her word choice was poor, but it's pretty clear what she meant. Don't make yourself a victim when Rep Omar is being treated like she's a terrorist that is't even American because she wasn't precise with her words.

I know she's a victim. She shouldn't have to speak for every act by every Muslim on the planet every time she opens her mouth. It's sad that the world has come to this when it comes to Islam in America. When a Christian politician opens their mouth, they don't have to address the KKK or any other person that has committed an act in Christ's name. I totally agree and understand how she could be frustrated. I also agree that these attacks are bad faith.

I find myself frustrated with how some topics go on this forum. Could I have phrased my post more like yours? Sprinkle admiration for her bravery in the face of this nonsense and outright stupidity along with some criticism of the words she chooses? Sure. And I probably should have.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017

Ok so you know exactly what the Post was/is trying to do to her but yet you still focus on a comment taken out of context? Is she really the dumb one here?

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
I know she's a victim. She shouldn't have to speak for every act by every Muslim on the planet every time she opens her mouth. It's sad that the world has come to this when it comes to Islam in America. When a Christian politician opens their mouth, they don't have to address the KKK or any other person that has committed an act in Christ's name. I totally agree and understand how she could be frustrated. I also agree that these attacks are bad faith.

I find myself frustrated with how some topics go on this forum. Could I have phrased my post more like yours? Sprinkle admiration for her bravery in the face of this nonsense and outright stupidity along with some criticism of the words she chooses? Sure. And I probably should have.

So you're frustrated that something as minor as word choice is being used to define your character and ideals? Weird.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oct 31, 2017
Just use the thread to update your ignore list, these bad faith actors are concern trolling and probably laughing about it on another board.

seriously, it's so obvious which posters have nothing of value to say

Based on your fucking dumb post, there isn't anyway around it

Oct 27, 2017
Especially when they can create it out of thin air.
The only way to do that is to stay silent, but even then, they'll just point to the hijab.

Yup, which is why you keep talking, stay loud, and dgaf what their base says. We know what she meant.

We already know she thinks they are terrorists. She has defined them as such. She doesnt need to point that out everytime she refers to them, just to satisfy bigots by strengthening the connection of muslims to terrorism through public repetition.

Last edited:

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This thread will continue to be a revolving carousel of barely-concealed Islamophobia and dumbass posts from people wandering in who can't be bothered to actually learn how her words were used in context until it's either locked or the next baseless attack against her gets launched and the cycle begins anew.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix

The part where you said "people that disagree will be labeled an Islamophobe is what I took issue with because you were insinuating people that were defending Omar were not doing so in good faith, in particular, this community.

The point of my post was, yes she could have been more precise with her words, but, she didn't do anything wrong so it doesn't really matter. As soon as she decided to talk about the treatment of Muslims around 9/11, this was how this was going to go down. The Right hate her, they hate Muslims, let's be honest.

But yeah, I agree with the rest of your post. It's pretty obvious what is fueling this nonsense.

For those that are calling people that think she could have worded this better, Islamophobes, I agree, they are talking nonsense. She could have. As moot of a point as it may be.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Based on your fucking dumb post, there isn't anyway around it

I believe I've explained my opinion in more detail in a followup post. I would appreciate you reading it.

The part where you said "people that disagree will be labeled an Islamophobe is what I took issue with because you were insinuating people that were defending Omar were not doing so in good faith, in particular, this community.

The point of my post was, yes she could have been more precise with her words, but, she didn't do anything wrong so it doesn't really matter. As soon as she decided to talk about 9/11, this was how this was going to go down. The Right hate her, they hate Muslims, let's be honest.

But yeah, I agree with the rest of your post. It's pretty obvious what is fueling this nonsense.

For those that are calling people that think she could have worded this better, Islamophobes, I agree, they are talking nonsense. She could have. As moot of a point as it may be.

Thanks for the response. Like I said, I could have phrased that better. I just think a lot of people are angry and looking to lash out. I don't think there's any point in trying to discuss things with Islamophobes, they don't want to learn or grow or understand how damaging their beliefs are. They simply want to attack a Muslim woman because she's in Congress. They'll use anything they can get to do so.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
I guess "always speak in a way that your statements can not be misconstrued by a group of people that actively hate you anyway" is too high of a standard for a freshman senator that's also a WoC and a muslim.

real sound logic there.

Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017
Even by Fox/Post standards, this is unfathomably racist. Things feel like they are escalating and that is scary because it was already bad.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
I'm genuinely interested, can someone give a few examples of how she could have worded what she said better?

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Even by Fox/Post standards, this is unfathomably racist. Things feel like they are escalating and that is scary because it was already bad.

The media already pushed a crazy person to kill a politician in the UK and it's caused the government to become deathly afraid of going against Brexit or acting in the country's best interest, they want to achieve the same in the US.

They want and need politicians to stay in line, to not criticise long established relationships and to fear a segment of the voter base that can and will kill if pushed in the right way.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fox News Propaganda has my family convinced that AOC is a one-termer who is extremely unpopular in her district. Her unavailability among her district is over 20 points lower than Trump with his. Only 33% disapprove.

They are dogwhistling to scare aging white men and frustrated incels to vote GOP.

Iloelemen

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This thread will continue to be a revolving carousel of barely-concealed Islamophobia and dumbass posts from people wandering in who can't be bothered to actually learn how her words were used in context until it's either locked or the next baseless attack against her gets launched and the cycle begins anew.

And this is why certain "Progressive ™Ally™" posters won't even dare to enter this thread.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's like people immediately forget who their base consists of.

Your post, is succinctly answered by this post:

Fox News Propaganda has my family convinced that AOC is a one-termer who is extremely unpopular in her district. Her unavailability among her district is over 20 points lower than Trump with his. Only 33% disapprove.

They are dogwhistling to scare aging white men and frustrated incels to vote GOP.

No gives a shit about the incorrigible Trump base. What we are witness to is a violent machine that rends and bends at every opportunity, It belittles and disenpowers with hate rhetoric, This is more than a shouting match across the pond. It's a disenfranchisement campaign to stun and stutter support and growth for organized behavior along the left. And it's clear that the left at large have not fucking clue what to do about it.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like, what's the point anymore? How do you combat a force so evil and so insidious that not only are they attempting to kill those who call them out via proxy, our so call allies lock step with their propaganda without a hint of irony? How do you combat evil so strong that its people proudly beats their chest with relish at the thought of murder for disagreement? What hope is there?

I just found out that I will die in 2 years without a liver transplant but what's the point? This world is on a fast track collision course with disaster and the ones in charge are either speeding it up or refusing to take a modicum of responsibility in the name of "unity". Just what's the point of anything when this world revels in cruelty.

Iloelemen

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Your post, is succinctly answered by this post:

No gives a shit about the incorrigible Trump base. What we are witness to is a violent machine that rends and bends at every opportunity, It belittles and disenpowers with hate rhetoric, This is more than a shouting match across the pond. It's a disenfranchisement campaign to stun and stutter support and growth for organized behavior along the left. And it's clear that the left at large have not fucking clue what to do about it.
Well support and growth is hard for the left when the center and the center that think that they're left contribute in stifling the growth of the left.