• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
Thats 99% of the job of being a successful politician. If you cant navigate that and anticipate how the opposition will twist your moves and statements for their own gain then politics isnt the right field for you. The job isnt just about writing and supporting good legislation, never has been.
Of course they will but that doesn't mean your so called "allies" fall for the trap and buy into it like morons.

Last edited:

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
Thats 99% of the job of being a successful politician. If you cant navigate that and anticipate how the opposition will twist your moves and statements for their own gain then politics isnt the right field for you. The job isnt just about writing and supporting good legislation, never has been.

I'm pretty sure Republicans don't have to speak like they're walking on eggshells, hoping to find magical words that cannot be spun or taken out context, because otherwise the opposition will use it to inspire violence towards them.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
She didn't. At some point you guys are going to have to acknowledge that it doesn't matter what words Omar uses, she is going to be slandered by racist, sexist, and Islamophobic attacks from the right.

It's victim blaming to say she could have prevented this.

Some people are happy to have any excuse to tut patronisingly and ignore the problems facing minority groups.

Deleted member 4274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is THAT what you took from this statement? Holy shit! Some of you guys are just RIGID in your thinking that Omar deserves to be victim-blamed within the context of the US being very Islamophobic and with the murder attemps against Omar.

Some of you guys are so Rigid, you don't even try fully comprehending what she actually says. Some of you guys are rigid into thinking that the US, inlcuding the democrat side doesn't have problems in racism and islamophobia.

Yes. That's EXACTLY what I'm saying. I'm black, my G. Fuck BOTH parties. What I'm saying is she could, and SHOULD have chosen her words more carefully. It doesn't excuse he treatment she has been receiving. And I agree, it doesn't matter WHAT she said, they'd still go after her, but that's politics. She misspoke. She clarified. Leave it at that. But to jump down peoples throats for saying "she could have worded it better", rather mildly (go back and look at what I was replying to) makes little sense to me. FUCK anyone coming after her. Of course. But y'all are ALL or nothing with this shit, and to me, it's fucking idiocy.

FYI, personally, I don't care what she said. She was correct. I understand the racism and islampohobia at work here.

EDIT: I'm from Harlem... born and raised. I was in class during 9/11. I saw the smoke from my class window. I lived the chaos that ensued that day and for the many months after.

Last edited:

JealousKenny

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
I'm pretty sure Republicans don't have to speak like they're walking on eggshells, hoping to find magical words that cannot be spun or taken out context, because otherwise the opposition will use it to inspire violence towards them.

The game is fucking rigged, as a black man living in the deep south i am very familiar with that. Knowing that, what you cant do is operate under the pretense that the deck isnt stacked against you. No the democratic spin machine isnt going to spin republican words against them to drum up support with racists but as a minority democrat you know you arent going to be afforded the same luxury.

Growing up as a minority you are often told you have to be twice as qualified, twice as smart, twice as good, etc... to get the same opportunity as a white man half as qualified as you. Thats just some shit you grow up learning and having to navigate through. I cant choose to ignore that and pretend it doesnt exist and when im smacked in the face with white privilege and supremacy cry foul as if i didnt understand the world im living in.

And please dont misconstrue what im saying as victim blaming. Just as as a black man when i go shopping in certain areas i know i have to dress nicer and look more presentable just to get service equal to a white guy walking in with jorts and a wrinkled t-shirt, as a Muslim in congress you have to know that when discussing 9/11 or anything else that has racial or religious undertones to it your words have to be more than perfect because they will be used against you if not. Ive had this discussion about her with friends and we've all come to the conclusion that somehow she missed the history lessons on what happened with black people as we slowly gained rights and began integrating into US society. Its like she either didnt know she would face this or just isnt prepared for it at the moment.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Republicans are the most easily triggered.

I mean, while true, this isn't them being triggered, this is them attacking her.

Let's not get it twisted, no one at the NYP was offended by her words, they are unabashedly attacking her.

She didn't. At some point you guys are going to have to acknowledge that it doesn't matter what words Omar uses, she is going to be slandered by racist, sexist, and Islamophobic attacks from the right.

It's victim blaming to say she could have prevented this.

Yup.

I would have thought the last month would be enough to make people see that, but there are people who still think the political game is fair and balanced.

It's not, it never has been, and these people will continue this shitty behavior regardless of what she or her ilk do or say.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Is THAT what you took from this statement? Holy shit! Some of you guys are just RIGID in your thinking. I don't even necessarily agree, but come on. Ms. Omar didn't say anything wrong, but yes, she SHOULD have chosen her words more carefully here. As much as we rail on language. She's in politics. Anything she says WILL be used against her. It is what it is.
Her EXISTENCE is used against her. Hate for her won't disappear depending on her word choice and being "politically correct" for the far right. These people don't need a reason. As Innuendo Studios puts it, Dems, liberals, lefties, should never play defence. People want her killed, so screw respectability politics and fear of language.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Trump of course pinned a tweet of his saying WE WILL NEVER FORGET...stroking the flames.

Can we get a cover with Trump's quote bragging that now Trump Tower was the biggest building after 9/11?

game-biz

Oct 25, 2017
Well, the obvious big issue here is the Post's cover. It's hate fueled propaganda that is endangering her life. It's trash "reporting" riddled with half-truths and lies. You can't have a soul and be a part of that publication.

Concerning her "controversial" words, I think this is a comparatively minor problem for Omar. I wish it weren't true, but within proper context, the average American isn't satisfied with a quick referral to 9/11 without including a large number of adjectives to pay the due respect they feel it deserves.

And, ok, fine, maybe people can say she was disrespectful, in that one single moment; But even if that were true, it's still a really weak argument to say she doesn't understand the pain and horror of 9/11 the way other Americans do. She has said nothing that would even imply that she has anti-American motives; reality says the opposite is true. And this doesn't even come close to the fact that a major magazine painted a target on her back.

All to appease racists and creating more in the progress.

Edit: And now I just saw Trump's tweet. Unbelievable. I really fucking hope she has good security. It's really a necessity for her at this point. Praying for her safety.

Last edited:

zer0blivion

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
The Guardian: Yemeni bodegas boycott New York Post over attacks on Ilhan Omar
Murdoch-owned paper published front page that Yemeni American Merchants Association says 'provoked hatred'

A group of New York corner-store owners has announced a boycott on the sale of the New York Post, arguing that the Rupert Murdoch-owned newspaper's attacks on the congresswoman Ilhan Omar are making Muslim Americans less safe.

On Thursday, the Post published a front page featuring an image of the World Trade Center towers in flames on 11 September 2001 and a quote suggesting that Omar, a Somali American congresswoman from Minnesota who wears a hijab, had minimized the seriousness of the terror attacks in a speech last month.

In an open letter in response, the Yemeni American Merchants Association wrote that the front page "provoked hatred" and "aims to harm Omar and her family and other people of the Islamic faith".

The group said it was calling on "all Yemeni American bodega and deli owners" as well as "our community and allies across New York City" to boycott the sale and purchase of the Post.

The association represents Yemeni Americans who own and run an estimated 4,000 to 5,000 of New York City's thousands of delis and corner stores, which are known as "bodegas". Such stores are integral to the daily life of most New Yorkers, a crucial source of late-night snacks, morning coffee and newspapers and magazines.

Repeated criticism of Omar by the Post, the Murdoch-owned Fox News, Republican politicians and Donald Trump has been condemned by progressive Democrats, including presidential contenders who called the attacks "dangerous" and said they risked "inciting violence".