• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
D33zvqgWkAICM4Z

The cover

I'm not going to quote the NY Post's horrifying, hateful cover.

Here's 1 fact: @IlhanMN is a cosponsor of the 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund. She's done more for 9/11 families than the GOP who won't even support healthcare for 1st responders- yet are happy to weaponize her faith.

The NY Post knows exactly what it's doing - taking quotes out of context and evoking painful imagery to spread hate and endangering the life of Rep. Omar. Shame on them, and shame on Rupert Murdoch.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Looks like they are stepping it up. Who will take responsibility when Omar gets seriously hurt or worse? Anyone? The israeli lobby has already been trying to defame her. And now the right wing is doing a full court press and the Democrats are silent as usual. Pathetic

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The latest controversy I see.

Hopefully Dems don't throw her under the bus again.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't even understand the quote they are quoting: It literally means absolutely nothing out of context. And I mean 'literally' by its actual definition.

OP
OP

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
For those not aware still, NY post is trying to weaponize ilhan's faith against her by connecting her beliefs to 9/11

You only need one but, ONE, to go crazy and attempt to harm her. This daily routine by media on both sides and both political parties are trying their best that this occurs, 3 days of outrage occurs, people move on on 4th day and then vested parties hold a celebration on the 5th day that the issue is taken care of

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
I was curious what the context of her remarks were:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...omars-remarks-context/?utm_term=.176ff139f91d
""Here's the truth. For far too long we have lived with the discomfort of being a second-class citizen and, frankly, I'm tired of it, and every single Muslim in this country should be tired of it. CAIR was founded after 9/11 because they recognized that some people did something and that all of us were starting to lose access to our civil liberties. So you can't just say that today someone is looking at me strange and that I am trying to make myself look pleasant. You have to say that this person is looking at me strange, I am not comfortable with it, and I am going to talk to them and ask them why. Because that is the right you have." "

That was a pretty dumb fucking way to describe it.

Edited to give more context.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
So much bullshit she has to deal with on a daily basis. She has some serious strength to put it up with and continue on. I'm an agnostic, but she has my full respect. :)

Dec 31, 2017
GOP's hatred of muslims is so extremely transparent; just didn't think they'd be this brazen against a congressperson...don't know why I gave them the benefit of the doubt.

There is no shortage in the amount of republican congresspeople that say terrible things, yet where is the scrutiny at this level?

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
I hope Ilhan Omar is the next Speaker of the House just so the Right can have a heart attack.
I know this won't happen.

Oct 25, 2017
Posted it in the other thread but appropriate here:

Republicans falsely claim Ilhan Omar denied 9/11 attackers were terrorists

A Republican congressman has spread false allegations that the US representative Ilhan Omar denied the September 11 hijackers were terrorists, as part of a new wave of abuse directed at her by some conservatives.

Representative Dan Crenshaw of Texas shared a tweet falsely reporting that Omar had said she "does not consider [September 11] a terrorist attack on the USA by terrorists", while accusing the Minnesota congresswoman of playing down the attack.

Crenshaw was joined by Ronna McDaniel, the Republican party chairwoman, who claimed Omar had shown she was "anti-American", and the Fox News host Brian Kilmeade, who questioned Omar's loyalty to the US during a broadcast on Wednesday morning.

The latest round of attacks on Omar by Republicans was prompted by the publication on Tuesday of a snippet from a speech she gave last month to an event hosted by the Council on American-Islamic Relations (Cair), in which she referred to the September 11 attacks.

But a video of Omar's full speech shows that the disputed remark followed from comments only a minute earlier in which Omar did mention terrorism. She complained that Islam was discussed in schools only in relation to Muslim terrorists.

"It doesn't matter how good you are if you, one day, find yourself in a school where other religions are talked about, but when Islam is mentioned, we are only talking about terrorists, and if you say something, you are sent to the principal's office," she said.

Ponn

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have a feeling all the people screaming about context yesterday about Candance Owens speech being played back from a video of her saying it are either going to be silent or suddenly not care about context.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They're making her big. Let em keep trying

She's being dragged through the mud, and the public reaction is largely ambivalent or malicious. Cortez may be a golden child now, but eventually her public popularity won't be worth the trade of the beliefs and methods. She'll face the same fate eventually.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Yes, it was a moronic summation on her part. But the Post's response is just epically stupid...until I realized who owns the Post, and then yeah it's about as you'd expect.

Ah yes both sides. She didnt describe 9/11 in the sufficient way for you, so its a wash right. Give me a break

She has literally nothing to apologize for and the people against her are smear merchants

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not "blaming her", I'm literally quoting her remarks to give what she said context. Her description of terrorists as "some people" is pretty asinine no matter how you spin it.
NY Post's cover is completely out of line but her comments are genuinely idiotic.

People will still go to bat for her here though.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I don't get how anyone can be dumb enough to support the GoP....
I guess hate is the answer.

OP
OP

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
NY Post's cover is completely out of line but her comments are genuinely idiotic.

People will still go to bat for her here though.

This is coming from bigotry. You are essentially saying she is in a position to use special words to satisfy you on how she describes 9/11 due to ..... what exactly ?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
They want to kill her to send a message, they know if they throw enough bullshit out into the universe one of their crazies will do it

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
This shit is getting ridiculous, and not to mention dangerous. They caught the last person who threatened to kill her, but how many more are provoked because of these lies? If anything happens to Omar the people who participated in the smear campaign against her will have her blood on their hands, and yes, that includes those on ERA too.

Then again, considering the circumstances surrounding that shit show y'all probably don't really care if a black muslim dies anyway.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not "blaming her", I'm literally quoting her remarks to give what she said context. Her description of terrorists as "some people" is pretty asinine no matter how you spin it.
She's making the point that the terrorists were not representatives of an entire religion and that they did not act on behalf of all people of that religion.

They were just some people who did something.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is coming from bigotry. You are essentially saying she is in a position to use special words to satisfy you on how she describes 9/11 due to ..... what exactly ?
It's the same exact thing as people complaining that Trump or Obama won't call the perpetrators who do the heinous acts exactly what they are.

Instead of calling them terrorists, she calls them "some people"

You can't have it both ways. The same people get upset when trump doesn't call them white nationalists. Which is he should

Oct 25, 2017
Do me a favor fellow NYers and grab your favorite fluid and just dump it over the stack of papers in your store of choice.

OP
OP

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
No? What are you even asking me? All I'm saying is that it was a stupid decision to describe a terrorist act as "some people did something."

Why does she have the onus to use words to satisfy an event to satisfy you . Your post didn't even mention the bigotry . It went head on into her words first. Both siding it. This Eminates of not trusting her