• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
It's the same exact thing as people complaining that Trump or Obama won't call the perpetrators who do the heinous ness exactly what they are.

Instead of calling them terrorists, she calls them "some people"

You can't have it both ways. Get upset when trump doesn't call them white nationalists.
Are you insinuating that she doesn't consider them terrorists?

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's the same exact thing as people complaining that Trump or Obama won't call the perpetrators who do the heinous acts exactly what they are.

You can't have it both ways. The same people get upset when trump doesn't call them white nationalists. Which is he should
Trump is covering for them. When the media refuses to use "white nationalist", it's perpetuating white exceptionalism and white supremacy. That's why I get upset.

You think Omar is covering for the 9/11 terrorists by not saying "terrorists"?

Oct 25, 2017
It's the same exact thing as people complaining that Trump or Obama won't call the perpetrators who do the heinous acts exactly what they are.

You can't have it both ways. The same people get upset when trump doesn't call them white nationalists. Which is he should

But a video of Omar's full speech shows that the disputed remark followed from comments only a minute earlier in which Omar did mention terrorism.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
*googles ny post owner*

Ah, this makes complete sense. I knew this would be Murdoch owned paper, it's the mirror image of the shit the sun does over here.

OP
OP

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018

So you are one of those who was angry at Obama for not calling isis Islamic ?

Space Acorn

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Saying "some people" is perfectly fine - she was contrasting that only a few people were part of 911 and yet all Muslims are seeing repercussions. Don't know why people have a problem with that. I can see how absent of context, people would latch onto "did something" as a carelessly reference to 9/11, but it seems to me she was just comparing the logic of having something a few people did affect everyone. It's obvious what her point was.

OP
OP

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018

You think
Saying "some people" is perfectly fine - she was contrasting that only a few people were part of 911 and yet all Muslims are seeing repercussions. Don't know why people have a problem with that. I can see how absent of context, people would latch onto "did something" as a carelessly reference to 9/11, but it seems to me she was just comparing the logic of having something a few people did affect everyone. It's obvious what her point was.

Some people even here want to latch onto her words to blame her then both side it . It'd the age old game

DRock

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not "blaming her", I'm literally quoting her remarks to give what she said context. Her description of terrorists as "some people" is pretty asinine no matter how you spin it.
Context. The context is that she was talking about how all muslims are being associated with these people by also being called terrorists.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
Her comments would be derided if a similar sentiment about other acts of terrorism were labelled as such by another political party.

She fucked up and also misrepresented the history of CAIR.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
This shit won't stop and her own party will gladly toss her under the bus. As if muslims haven't been accused of this shit for the past 18 years already.

Oct 25, 2017
I was curious what the context of her remarks were:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...omars-remarks-context/?utm_term=.176ff139f91d

That was a pretty dumb fucking way to describe it.

Edited to give more context.
Yes, it was a moronic summation on her part. But the Post's response is just epically stupid...until I realized who owns the Post, and then yeah it's about as you'd expect.
It is a really dumb way to describe it, reading the full quote doesn't make it much better. It completely downplays the atrocity of 9/11.

There's more to context than just the words around other words. The context is that she is a Muslim woman under constant attack and false accusation who cannot live comfortably as herself in the US because so many want to associate her and her religion with terrorism. So her words were chosen as such to point out that she and 99.9999999% of all Muslims in america have no association with these terrorists.

The willful stupidity and perpetuation of these attacks on her by agreeing with the right is absolutely maddening and one of the saddest things I've seen on a "progressive" website.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I was curious what the context of her remarks were:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...omars-remarks-context/?utm_term=.176ff139f91d

That was a pretty dumb fucking way to describe it.

Edited to give more context.

In context it's not dumb at all. She's clearly saying that the actions of some was unjustly causing all Muslims to lose their civil liberties. You replace "some people did something" with some "terrorists murdered thousands", and her point is doesn't change. GOP is simply trying to deflect from the verocity of her comment and justify their constant attempts to vilify Muslims.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017

Oh what a bunch of horseshit. Anyone with half a brain knows that's not what she was saying. Granted giving the American voter half a brain is asking a lot but even so we can't have this nonsense go uncontested.

OP
OP

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
No because Obama didn't call them "some people". That's downplaying to the extreme.
Again you are fixated on both siding this when she mentioned terrorist in previous remark and was talking exactly what you are blaming her for not saying . You are in fact just looking to blame her because... don't know. You tell me

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No because Obama didn't call them "some people". That's downplaying to the extreme.
And calling it Islamic terror is a loaded term that's all too abused. There's already a very disgusting accepted connotation of linking Islam to violence. The Catholic molestation crisis didn't implicate all Catholics. Why do you want to throw wide aspersions so lightly?

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a call for violence the same way that Likud's calls for violence led to the assassination of Rabin in 1995: Stir up extremists through propaganda until they take action.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
There's more to context than just the words around other words. The context is that she is a Muslim woman under constant attack and false accusation who cannot live comfortably as herself in the US because so many want to associate her and her religion with terrorism. So her words were chosen as such to point out that she and 99.9999999% of all Muslims in america have no association with these terrorists.

The willful stupidity and perpetuation of these attacks on her by agreeing with the right is absolutely maddening and one of the saddest things I've seen on a "progressive" website.

The other context is that this speech was right after a major terrorist attack against the muslim community.

Oct 25, 2017
It's not fair, but she really should be better at this. We all know she has a target on her back and her words will be highly scrutinized.

How does she not have a simple "what happened was terrible but those terrorists don't represent the Islam I know and practiced by billions world wide" etc.

Also how do you say:

"CAIR was founded after 9/11, because they recognized that some people did something and that all of us were starting to lose access to our civil liberties."

And fail to mention thousands of American lives lost? This is super easy.

Also, her core point was wrong. She claimed CAIR was founded as a response to September 11.

(CAIR was actually founded in 1994.)

Keep in mind: these were in prepared remarks AT A CAIR EVENT. There's no excuse for fucking this up. Just more unforced errors.

Ponn

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not "blaming her", I'm literally quoting her remarks to give what she said context. Her description of terrorists as "some people" is pretty asinine no matter how you spin it.

Here's the problem with that, Terrorists are not a race. She was talking about a specific race being held responsible for the actions of a few. She wasn't speaking on the atrocity of their actions, but the aftermath of bigotry and hate she and all Muslims have faced since then.

The fact that the "outrage" here is that she herself wasn't labeling Muslims as Terrorists In that sentence is pretty telling of how deep seeded the hate and bigotry towards Muslims really is and how synonymous people have made Muslims with Terrorists.

OP
OP

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Again, I get the context, and I get the point that she was making. She just did an extremely poor job of making it.

Just to understand. You agree with republicans that she chose her words very poorly and you understand how some conservatives might misinterpret her words despite her clear intentions

Right ... ?

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Just to understand. You agree with republicans that she chose her words very poorly and you understand how some conservatives might misinterpret her words despite her clear intentions

Right ... ?

Yes, I understand that you're trying to bait me and paint me as a "both sides" person. However, all I'm saying is that her comments referring to terrorists as "some people who did something" were moronic even with the added context.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

Her point is that many Muslims are being mistreated in response to the actions of some. She's clearly talking about terrorists, it doesn't need to be spelled out.

Oct 27, 2017

It's being willfully stupid to know when and why CAIR was formed? Making it sound like it was a reaction to 9-11 is a stupid mistake to make. She has to have people on her team that are smart enough to catch that.

OP
OP

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
It's not fair, but she really should be better at this. We all know she has a target on her back and her words will be highly scrutinized.

How does she not have a simple "what happened was terrible but those terrorists don't represent the Islam I know and practiced by billions world wide" etc.

Also how do you say:

"CAIR was founded after 9/11, because they recognized that some people did something and that all of us were starting to lose access to our civil liberties."

And fail to mention thousands of American lives lost? This is super easy.

Also, her core point was wrong. She claimed CAIR was founded as a response to September 11.

(CAIR was actually founded in 1994.)

Keep in mind: these were in prepared remarks. There's no excuse for fucking this up. Just more unforced errors.

"It's not fair" for alt right and gop

100+ words blaming ilhan for her words as she is in a special position as a Muslim so she should use words very carefully because we don't know her intentions truly until she SPELLS IT OUT

OP
OP

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Yes, I understand that you're trying to bait me and paint me as a "both sides" person. However, all I'm saying is that her comments referring to terrorists as "some people who did something" were moronic even with the added context.

Why ? Her intentions are not clear enough for you ? Is she suspicious to you ?

Oct 25, 2017
It's being willfully stupid to know when and why CAIR was formed? Making it sound like it was a reaction to 9-11 is a stupid mistake to make. She has to have people on her team that are smart enough to catch that.
most people don't even know what that is. People are losing their shit over her description of the 9/11 terrorists, not a historical misstatement of a date.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Why ? Her intentions are not clear enough for you ? Is she suspicious to you ?

No, I'm not a bigot, but keep trying to paint me as such. You're not particularly clever or subtle.

It drives me crazy that she makes these moronic comments like these. She was trying to make a good point that following the terrorist attacks of 9/11, Muslim Americans are treated differently and worse. But now everyone will only talk about how she said "some people did something."

OP
OP

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
most people don't even know what that is. People are losing their shit over her description of the 9/11 terrorists, not a historical misstatement of a date.

It's quite something that people are losing their shit that she didn't bring a dictionary to describe 9/11 to satisfy them and have nowhere near the same outrage for DEATH threats against her because of this. That should tell you everything

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
i attempted to read the full quote and couldn't even understand what it was trying to say

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017

This is an odd characterization. The bill was only just introduced in February. Literally nothing has happened with it. It was a democrat led legistlation but it still had 40 Republican co-sponsors. Legislation led by one political party in this fucked up divisive time is going to have a hard enough problem getting cosponsors on the other side, but I'm not surprised if other Republican politicians didn't sign onto the legislation because it mandated by law if it passed that the fund exist till 2090. That's not a typo.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No? What are you even asking me? All I'm saying is that it was a stupid decision to describe a terrorist act as "some people did something."
Far less stupid than claiming the phrase "Some people did something, and all muslims are being punished for it" is somehow minimizing 9/11. You'd have to be either an idiot or a piece of shit to read it that way.

OP
OP

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
No, I'm not a bigot, but keep trying to paint me as such. You're not particularly clever or subtle.

It drives me crazy that she makes these moronic comments like these. She was trying to make a good point that following the terrorist attacks of 9/11, Muslim Americans are treated differently and worse. But now everyone will only talk about how she said "some people did something."

So she's the moron here ?