• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
"Some people did something" = HOW FUCKING DARE YOU

"Some bad people committed an act of terror" = Why can't she specify they were Muslim terrorists?!! Hmmmmmmmm??!?!?!!

"Some Muslim terrorists committed a horrible act" = She completely downplayed 9/11. It wasn't just a horrible act.... IT WAS THE WORST DAY IN AMERICAN HISTORY

"Some Radical Islamic Terrorists committed the worst terror attack in American History" = It wasn't just SOME. We fought an ENTIRE WAR against Al Queida and the Taliban. Then we had to take care of ISIS, hell of alot more than just SOME!!!!

Never satisfied fragile white people wanting to control the black muslim woman's language. Great job dorks 👍

Quoted for truth

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They are going to get her killed, cry crocodile tears and then high five in private.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017

"Some bad people committed an act of terror" = Why can't she specify they were Muslim terrorists?!! Hmmmmmmmm??!?!?!!

"Some Muslim terrorists committed a horrible act" = She completely downplayed 9/11. It wasn't just a horrible act.... IT WAS THE WORST DAY IN AMERICAN HISTORY

"Some Radical Islamic Terrorists committed the worst terror attack in American History" = It wasn't just SOME. We fought an ENTIRE WAR against Al Queida and the Taliban. Then we had to take care of ISIS, hell of alot more than just SOME!!!!

Never satisfied fragile white people wanting to control the black muslim woman's language. Great job dorks 👍

So much truth in this post it hurts.

Shyotl

Oct 25, 2017
Rando ERA poster two months back: "I love Rep. Omar! She doesn't talk like a D.C. politician."

Same rando ERA poster now: "Rep. Omar goofed up! She needs to learn to speak like an experienced politician."

She's so dumb! So Stupid! Also did I mention how idiotic she must be? /s.

Kilic95

Oct 25, 2017
Chireiden
I know Omar told people not to worry for her sake. That she knows what she has to do, that she won't be discouraged.

But I would be completely demoralized looking at this. Even knowing it's just bullshit it still hurts.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rando ERA poster two months back: "I love Rep. Omar! She doesn't talk like a D.C. politician."

Same rando ERA poster now: "Rep. Omar goofed up! She needs to learn to speak like an experienced politician."
s7kOMP4.png

oZcQ3dP.gif

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing how certain democrats screaming for unity are now as silent as a lamb and refuse to lift a finger to protect one of their own. Unity so long it pleases them apparently. Will Chuck Schumer join the fun again like last time? Or is his silence his idea of "unity".

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
All I know is that I am 100% certain the people who brought us into war with both Iraq and Afghanistan are upset with Ilhan Omar for reasons other than blatant Islamophobia and racism, because why would we have any reason to believe they would be motivated to act dishonestly or encourage violence against Muslims?

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This woman needs security 24/7 immediately. Her life is imo in very serious danger. There could be many groups out there who may feel they'd benefit from her death.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This woman needs security 24/7 immediately. Her life is imo in very serious danger. There could be many groups out there who may feel they'd benefit from her death.
And if god forbid something did happen to her. All the white moderates (including the ones on this forum) Will turn around and blame her, by saying that she should have minded her tone.

Jpop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tbh I'm shocked at how victim blaming and casual racism is getting a free pass in this thread.

It's not surprising - I've noticed people get a pass for racism on this forum when it isn't targeted at being Black and/or being Jewish. Report it to the mods and usually nothing ever happens.

Dead Man

Nov 1, 2017
Jesus christ. That is some bottom feeder level journalism. And it seems way too many poeple care to police Omar instead of the vile fucks twisting the smallest quotes possible into some outrageous thing.

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
Their trying to kill her.
The racist fuckwitts that is the GOP is actively trying to kill her.
Islamaphobia is being stirred on a national level with her as a giant target.

Her party, the one that threw her to the wolves because they were concerned supposedly concerned about bigotry (it wasn't and they just want to appease special interests)

Fuck the GOP, the dems and the media, they are all either complacent or participants, I feel that something bad is about to happen and they all played a role.

Sloth Guevara

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, look something new! Liberals jumping at the chance to crap on a black Muslim woman.

Slightly OT but what other PoC here are tired of weighing their word on a silver fucking scale?
Anyone else constantly tired from being at least 2x better then most white folks just to justify ones existence?
Anyone else scared of being the angry black/brown/( ) person?
Do some of you tone policing morons ever consider how your language and water carrying for white supremacy attacks perpetuate the idea of PoC needing to be flawless?
Shame on you

I can't speak for all PoC but I can speak for me.
I DO NOT FOR ONE FUCKING second buy that the right wing white supremacy machine won't take umbrage with the words of a black Muslim woman.

Quoted for truth!

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
It's not fair, but she really should be better at this. We all know she has a target on her back and her words will be highly scrutinized.

How does she not have a simple "what happened was terrible but those terrorists don't represent the Islam I know and practiced by billions world wide" etc.

Also how do you say:

"CAIR was founded after 9/11, because they recognized that some people did something and that all of us were starting to lose access to our civil liberties."

And fail to mention thousands of American lives lost? This is super easy.

Also, her core point was wrong. She claimed CAIR was founded as a response to September 11.

(CAIR was actually founded in 1994.)

Keep in mind: these were in prepared remarks AT A CAIR EVENT. There's no excuse for fucking this up. Just more unforced errors.

Did you miss the second half of the sentence you quoted? She's not saying CAIR was founded in response to 9/11, she's saying it was founded in response to the reaction to 9/11 (ie American Muslims losing civil liberties). Technically the grammar is wrong for that meaning, but it's a common enough error that ascribing it to factual inaccuracy instead of poor sentence construction is, well, wrong.

Funny how three different people made the same misinterpretation of a relatively straightfoward sentence. Is this a talking point making its way around the conservasphere or something?

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did you miss the second half of the sentence you quoted? She's not saying CAIR was founded in response to 9/11, she's saying it was founded in response to the reaction to 9/11 (ie American Muslims losing civil liberties). Technically the grammar is wrong for that meaning, but it's a common enough error that ascribing it to factual inaccuracy instead of poor sentence construction is, well, wrong.

Funny how three different people made the same misinterpretation of a relatively straightfoward sentence. Is this a talking point making its way around the conservasphere or something?
I can believe there's genuine confusion, as I was also confused on first reading. There are clearly bigots and racists out there, but I have not interpreted any posts I've seen in this thread as that. I think people are legit confused. If I'm wrong there then yeah, fuck them.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The full video of the speech with the full context should have been in the OP to avoid people here just focusing on what the islamophobes want you to focus on. How is any of this "idiotic/stupid/asinine/moronic" to some of you? (Vire, carlsojo, Carolina Reaper, and more)

"It doesn't matter how good you are if you, one day, find yourself in a school where other religions are talked about but when Islam is mentioned, we are only talking about terrorists. And if you say something, you're sent to the principal's office. So to me, I say raise hell. Make people uncomfortable. Because here's the truth. Far too long we've lived with the discomfort of being a second-class citizen. And frankly, I'm tired of it and every single muslim in this country should be tired of it. CAIR was founded after 9/11 because they recognised some people did something and that all of us were starting to lose access to our civil liberties. So you can't just say that today someone is looking at me strange, that I'm going to make myself look pleasant. You have to say this person is looking at me strange, I'm not comfortable with it, I'm going to talk to them and ask them why. Because that is a right you have. You can't hate up close. Any time you have an opportunity to go talk to someone, the chances of them hating you lessens. So that is a practice we should all adopt."

If you're not an Islamophobe, none of what she said should be controversial when you're viewing from the perspective of a few terrorists affecting millions of muslims' liberties.

The only mistake she makes is CAIR wasn't technically founded after 2001 but symbolically it was founded in response to growing islamophobia (after usually terrorists' actions) like after the 1993 World Trade Center bombing by Al Qaeda terrorists. The CAIR-Sacramento Valley chapter was founded in 2002, though.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Goddamn. I hate supercilious assholes who use 9/11 as a cudgel. How about worrying less about whether the uppity Muslim woman was sufficiently reverent about an event that affected her way more than it did most of us? If you want me to believe you actually care about the victims of 9/11, you can stand up to a tabloid blasting traumatic photos on their front page 18 years later because they don't like having a Muslim in Congress. That's revolting, but we're spending the whole thread talking about how Omar should really have chosen her words better.

Yep.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If that's sarcasm and I missed this then I apologize for mistaking that.

It is really hard to see sarcasm these days because there are people that truely believe that.
Yep absolutely. I think that was part of their point. Ideally something like that should not need a /s at the end, but that's where we're at.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I see the so called "enlightened" and "progressive" Era is whining about semantics again when a woman of color says something. How come Bernie Sanders never gets this much for his gaffes?

I'm not. A lot of regressives and conservatives on this forum.

It's not just conservatives.

Naturally, don't look at the comments section

Iloelemen

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I see the so called "enlightened" and "progressive" Era is whining about semantics again when a woman of color says something. How come Bernie Sanders never gets this much for his gaffes?

It's not just conservatives.

Naturally, don't look at the comments section

That too.
Basically
1. Lots of moderates and "liberals" being racist and regressive.
2. Lots of conservatives who either pretend or think they are "Progressive™"

Oct 29, 2017
This woman is being dragged like nobody's business.

It's amazing that all the conservatives I saw on twitter concern-trolling about her anti-Semitism in relation to dual-nationality now seem to be openly questioning if she's even America-first.

Hope nothing bad happens to her. Understand the comments about the words being poorly chosen but I have to disagree, these have been spun massively and are using to incite racial and religious hatred, at that point the fact she maybe could have screamed 'terrorism is bad' at the end of the sentence is somewhat moot of a point. We can't get sucked into these arguments by bad faith actors.

Trodimus

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
User Banned (1 Week): Victim blaming in relation to Islamophobia
She really needs to be more careful with her language (as all politicians do). It did come off as dismissive even if not intentional. That said the ny post isn't exactly liberal in their biases but Omar needs to stop giving conservatives ammo to work with. As a progressive member of the Jewish community I've definitely questioned some of what she's said recently especially regarding Israel.

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
She really needs to be more careful with her language (as all politicians do). It did come off as dismissive even if not intentional. That said the ny post isn't exactly liberal in their biases but Omar needs to stop giving conservatives ammo to work with. As a progressive member of the Jewish community I've definitely questioned some of what she's said recently especially regarding Israel.
Go on, especially with "especially regarding Isreal"
This should be interesting.