• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Thank you for the thread reboot mods.

Sigh....I really want a happy ending to this. I really do. I don't know Etika, but I know what it's like to have someone so close to suicide. And it's so scary. I really hope that for his family and for himself, that this has a happy ending.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I sincerely hope that Etika is still alive so he can get the help he needs.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like suicide which is such a difficult beast. It's awful and the worst part is when you feel the most suicidal all the logical reasons to get help just don't make an impact. If I had owned a gun already I would be dead now. RIP to him and condolences to his family. Mental health is the true silent killer of this world and fighting it in your own is nearly impossible.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Never liked his personality or his content but I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. Hope he's okay and that he gets professional help.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
This is quite a sad situation. Didn't think it would get to this point.

Not a fan of his schtick, but I feel bad for him.

Oct 25, 2017
Hope he's alright, can't figure out why they kept letting him out of wherever he ends up(mental facility, etc...), especially after the altercation with the cop.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
I hope he's found safe. We could see the signs early but the US's entire health care system, those around him, shit even the online community pushed that aside. The guy was crying for help for a long damn time.

Man, he really better be found. This is terrible. He needs some real help. Not some "ok he's in the hospital but he's ok a day later" kind of crap, some real legit help.

PettySpirit

Dec 23, 2018
Never really followed Etika, but regardless, this is some wild, horrible shit. That doesn't look good, I really hope he's alright.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck.

I didn't watch his stuff personally, but friends were talking about this earlier and were worried, so I was searching just now to see if there was any news since. Didn't expect to see such bad news having just been posted. This is really upsetting.

Cameron122

Rescued from SR388
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I had a stint in inpatient then some outpatient around 5 months ago for a sui attempt so this hits hard. I hope this ends with some good ending but it's not looking great :/

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like I said in the other thread before it got shit up and locked, I hope he's ok. He didn't seem alright mentally especially after he got into alcohol and when he began to care a bit too much about how to stay relevant for social media. He kept getting worse. If he is alive, I hope he turns up and that he gets help or whatever the guy needs to stop getting himself into situations like this. Depression shouldn't be taken lightly, and I don't think people took his problems seriously.

He did clearly do some shit for attention like literally every YouTuber does, but I don't think that's the case here at all.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I hope he's alright, but sadly I can't say I'm hopeful about the chances of that.

i think the staff post is cowardly and burying the moderator stepping down in a locked thread no one has any incentive to go to because this was rebooted is a terrible way to handle this and really gives me little faith in the moderation team

So what exactly do you want to happen, a continued witch hunt or grilling, and an unnecessary continued distraction from the actual news and point of the thread? They did the right thing, and the user in question apologised and is now de-modded.

Sieglinde

Feb 20, 2019
I really don't think his past incidents should be called false alarms or hoaxes, he always showed signs that he wasn't mentally stable and was a cry for help more than anything, i'm hoping he's still alive and can get the help he needs.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Beef apologized and did what he thought was best by stepping down. PM the mods if you have problems with it cause they will be able to see it quicker and respond accordingly. But I don't think that making a public scene about this is necessary since we just need to hope that Etika turns out okay. No matter how grim the outcome is looking.

But like I said. PM the leadership if it really requires more attention since these are just my thoughts.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Thanks for handling it well, mods. Etika's situation is what's most important. I mean, I don't even watch the guy at all, but he was pretty much all I could think about today. I think this news especially hits a little close to home for me, since this is my city too, and these cries for help are things I've experienced in close friends before.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I originally bought into the theory that he was going away for the weekend to tour the Venus Project down in Florida but this definitely indicates otherwise. Hopefully he is found alive.

Always take people talking about suicide seriously.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
My understanding is it's very difficult to jump from the Manhattan Bridge because of nets and fences and whatnot. This is only what I've heard from people in New York though.

Might be a morbid way of looking at it, but I like to think no news is good news and if they haven't found him, he's ducking out somewhere.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't think his past incidents should be called false alarms or hoaxes, he always showed signs that he wasn't mentally stable and was a cry for help more than anything, i'm hoping he's still alive and can get the help he needs.
Ultimately, it's hard to tell people's intentions. Whether they were hoaxes or not can only be clear in hindsight; when someone is claiming they're going to commit suicide the risk is too severe not to take seriously regardless of the circumstances.

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
I've struggled with depression for years and let me tell you, that last video he uploaded was bone-chillingly real. I have been in that exact headspace, wandering the roads in my neighborhood wondering if anything had any meaning left. Only difference is I was talking to myself, and Etika was talking to his phone.

I seriously am praying Etika is alive because regardless of your opinions of the man he was truly passionate about gaming and had a positive impact on a lot of people before his downward spiral.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Like I said in the previous thread, I hope for his sake that he's faking it.

I'm shocked it has gotten to this point. He should have been submitted to a mental health facility back when he first got carted off publicly to a hospital.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
Ultimately, it's hard to tell people's intentions. Whether they were hoaxes or not can only be clear in hindsight; when someone is claiming they're going to commit suicide the risk is too severe not to take seriously regardless of the circumstances.
It annoys me whenever people say that people are just crying out for attention. Like no shit, when we make a big show and dance of how dark a place we're in it's because we want someone to pay attention and help us.

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Horrible news.

I hope he'll be found safe as soon as possible, even though the chance is quite slim judging by the circumstances.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
I'm shocked it has gotten to this point. He should have been submitted to a mental health facility back when he first got carted off publicly to a hospital.

True... but instead... he went right back to livestreaming and doing videos like nothing ever happened. Most of his fanbase is actually toxic as heck. There were some begging him to get help though.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
My understanding is it's very difficult to jump from the Manhattan Bridge because of nets and fences and whatnot. This is only what I've heard from people in New York though.

Might be a morbid way of looking at it, but I like to think no news is good news and if they haven't found him, he's ducking out somewhere.
I thought they did this around all of the major NYC bridges, the last time I walked the Brooklyn Bridge I thought I noticed a lot of protection in place to stop people from climbing over to the edge, so hopefully he was just stashing his stuff on the bridge and he's OK somewhere.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully he will be found ok. Never watched much of his stuff but it was clear he needed help and it is a shame that it was not gotten.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
It annoys me whenever people say that people are just crying out for attention. Like no shit, when we make a big show and dance of how dark a place we're in it's because we want someone to pay attention and help us.
I can kind of understand in this case; there was some post he made flying around saying he was going to do another suicide hoax or something. If you just went with that fact and not the other signs of his issues, I can see how you might think it was more likely to be a joke.

But even if it is just a joke, you can react appropriately to that after the fact. You don't have that option if it's real.

ChristianH94

Apr 14, 2019
This is a long post but the past like… I think three or four threads about Etika have been locked as they turn into a massive argument over is he bigoted or is he just suffering from mental issues. Part of the problem with these arguments is that I sincerely think a lot of you don't really get it, and I don't say that to be mean spirited: I say this is somewhat out of concern and willing to help explain some stuff. Now I don't say this with pride although ever since Etika's been having problems I've been talking a lot more about it than ever, but I actually have been diagnosed with, if what I was told about him is to be true, the exact same mental disorder that Etika has and in 2014 I actually had a few episodes where I ran away from home with the intent of suicide. Unfortunately mental health is something you really only understand if you're a true expert and I'm talking PhD level expert, or if you've had an episode yourself; for everyone else it's almost impossible to empathize with because it's almost like people like Etika or anyone else who has something like this are from another planet entirely.

I could actually try and explain what really went through my mind at the time if anyone would like, but as I was typing it up for this post I read it and like… it was just a garbled mess going through my mind, which is how it goes with this disorder. To sum up what ended up happening, around late September of 2014 I quit a college program I was in and wrote a bizarre cryptic suicide message that I left for my family, pawned one of my most treasured posessions for a measly 20 dollars, and took a bus up to NYC to jump off the brooklyn bridge and make an example of myself. I ended up not doing that and instead went straight into the brooklyn library and started writing really crappy Kindle ebooks under the guise I was a genius rebel under the sacred holy trinity of god and that my new day job was being a writer and my night job was going to Times Square and panhandling by holding a sign up that said I needed a pretty obscene object I'm not gonna describe so please donate. It was pretty dumb, and when I finally came to, I ended up apologizing to my parents and moved back but just one month later had a similar episode happen yet again.

It was absolutely stupid and to be honest a lot of times deep down I knew it was stupid, but it just kept on happening anyway. It was like there's a billion things going on though my mind at once and I can't even focus and hold anything down and then a lot of times you're either so depressed you can't even get yourself up out of bed or you're out there trying to change the world in some shape or form. It's like you're fine sometimes, and then all of a sudden you either do something really cool and great as having something like bipolar does catapult you to doing awesome things sometimes; for instance, there's been several studies that have shown that close to like 90% of entrepreneurs have some type of bipolar. At the same time, though, it also can catapult you to doing some truly awful things under ridiculous circumstances that make no sense whatsoever like the thing I described or in Etika's case: all the crap that have been starting flame wars on here like nothing else.

The hardest thing is that seeking help is something you need to do, but there's only so much "help" can do. Ever wonder how Etika's gotten out of these psych wards so fast? The same reason I got out so fast in a lot of my own stupid incidents: it can cycle with the snap of a hand at some points meaning Etika probably was 100% sane when he gets taken out of these hospitals. It's because of this that a lot of times doctors actually can be a bit wary of prescribing any medication at all because becoming dependent on them can cause bigger issues, and maybe god forbid being on something like xanax when you're not going through a depressive phase. It takes a LOT of therapy and alternating medications to truly treat something like this, and on top of that it also takes super strong will to even understand when you're about to or already going through a hypomanic or manic episode and calm yourself down as no matter what you're on that can happen easily with the snap of your fingers. It sucks.

The good news is though that it is treatable and I think everyone shouting for Etika to get offline for good just don't get it at all: I'm willing to bet one of your favorite performers, activists, writers, or even youtubers has something similar going on. The problem isn't exactly social media overload even though it seems that way, once again this is where the disconnect happens: the problem is that Etika himself needs to learn to properly manage himself which I'd imagine taking a break from social media would help in that but making the grand standpoint that he's permanently ill is missing the point, and I'd actually argue is sort of inhumane. Etika's a human like anyone else, and yeah when people have issues you need to get those in check, but the idea of taking away a man's passion and dreams and career just because you personally don't think he's capable is just not right… at all. I'm willing to bet there's at least one of your favorite performers, artists, politicians, musicians, designers etc who suffer through the exact same things who would never have created the thing you enjoy if they had listened to that mentality. Look at it this way: people with a disability are going to struggle a lot in life, and there's gonna be a lot of pain and struggles to go along with it, but that doesn't mean they don't have the right to try.

And then for everyone who shouts that Etika's a bigoted asshole who is faking things for attention… he ain't faking anything for attention, all of these incidents are like weird cries to try and make sense of all the nonsense going on in his mind at once: take it from a guy who's actually had it happen to him. Does that excuse him for saying a lot of hurtful nonsense? No, much like how I'm sure I'm gonna regret a lot of the stuff I've personally done during my episodes the rest of my life… in fact I've actually been suicidal over some of the things I've done because I knew they were wrong and had ZERO excuse for them, and no this wasn't a manic episode kicking in, this was legitimately me feeling remorse and regret and wanting to punish myself in a way that I believed and in 2016 I actually was going towards some train tracks to put my head under them and let myself be crushed as an atonement of sorts. I told a few people that I knew I loved them, and one actually convinced me to call the suicide hotline which I did… and I guess long story short I'm now typing this up.

People who have issues like bipolar aren't fucking monsters, i want to make that clear. I've seen this idea that Etika and really anyone who've done something awful during an episode are these hard hearted monsters who are only out there to hurt everyone else and get away with it by crying mental illness… Harassing someone over shit like that, when it's clear that's not who they are and clear they regret it, doesn't somehow lower their nonexistent power levels like a boss' HP: it makes them feel actual emotional pain as they already regret what they've done but now here comes some people kicking them while they're usually already down. I know it's hard to understand that people doing something doesn't mean they truly meant it, but that's just how this disorder rolls a lot of times. Now it's great that we regret what we did, but does that excuse our actions? Once again, no… but we also never were asking for an excuse, guilt actually overtakes a lof of people who have this and I've heard that's possibly one of the reasons why suicide is so insanely high for people who've had manic episodes… and as someone who's been in a similar situation like Etika's: he ain't faking it. Even if he ends up being found alive, this is a cry for him trying to atone for some of this shit as he even states himself in his video. I was lucky in my case that my screw ups were never the laughing stock of the world, I gotta say though that I'd imagine Etika's heart is being torn to shreds over this whole thing.

Apologies about any typos, by the way; I typed this entirely on an iPhone keyboard and wanna post it before anymore flame wars over this happen because I think it needs to be said, it's also 2:30 AM and I'm about to pass out

Last edited:

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
You have to always assume these things to be serious until proven otherwise. Depression is a serious fucking matter. Anyway hope he'll be found alive.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Holy fucking shite I hope he's alright. I stopped watching him awhile back but.... I hope to God he's okay.

Mediking

Its one thing to be skeptical... and its another thing to be non-caring. Those are two very different things.

Skeptical is like: "I dont really know whats really going on with him but I hope he's alright."

Non-caring is like: "Man, whatever. He brought this on himself".

All in all, the guy needs help. Counseling.

abrasivemurk

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I felt the same way about myself, constantly thinking about killing myself.. The moment I saw Etika's video I knew he was seriously going to attempt suicide.

This is so sad...

Mediking

This is a long post but the past like… I think three or four threads about Etika have been locked as they turn into a massive argument over is he bigoted or is he just suffering from mental issues. Part of the problem with these arguments is that I sincerely think a lot of you don't really get it, and I don't say that to be mean spirited: I say this is somewhat out of concern and willing to help explain some stuff. Now I don't say this with pride although ever since Etika's been having problems I've been talking a lot more about it than ever, but I actually have been diagnosed with, if what I was told about him is to be true, the exact same mental disorder that Etika has and in 2014 I actually had a few episodes where I ran away from home with the intent of suicide. Unfortunately mental health is something you really only understand if you're a true expert and I'm talking PhD in the subject here, or if you've had an episode yourself; for everyone else it's almost impossible to empathize with because it's almost like people like Etika or anyone else who has something like this are from another planet entirely.

I could actually try and explain what really went through my mind at the time if anyone would like, but as I was typing it up for this post I read it and like… it was just a garbled mess going through my mind, which is how it goes with this disorder. To sum up what ended up happening, around late September of 2014 I quit a college program I was in and wrote a bizarre cryptic suicide message that I left for my family, pawned one of my most treasured posessions for a measly 20 dollars, and took a bus up to NYC to jump off the brooklyn bridge and make an example of myself. I ended up not doing that and instead went straight into the brooklyn library and started writing really crappy Kindle ebooks under the guise I was a genius rebel under the sacred holy trinity of god and that my new day job was being a writer and my night job was going to Times Square and panhandling by holding a sign up that said I needed a pretty obscene object I'm not gonna describe so please donate. It was pretty dumb, and when I finally came to, I ended up apologizing to my parents and moved back but just one month later had a similar episode happen yet again.

It was aboslutely stupid and to be honest a lot of times deep down I knew it was stupid, but it just kept on happening anyway. It was like there's a billion things going on though my mind at once and I can't even focus and hold anything down and then a lot of times you're either so depressed you can't even get yourself up out of bed or you're out there trying to change the world in some shape or form. It's like you're fine sometimes, and then all of a sudden you either do something really cool and great as having something like bipolar does catapult you to doing awesome things sometimes; for instance, there's been several studies that have shown that close to like 90% of entrepreneurs have some type of bipolar. At the same time, though, it also can catapult you to doing some truly awful things under ridiculous circumstances that make no sense whatsoever like the thing I described or in Etika's case: all the crap that have been starting flame wars on here like nothing else.

The hardest thing is that seeking help is something you need to do, but there's only so much "help" can do. Ever wonder how Etika's gotten out of these psych wards so fast? The same reason I got out so fast in a lot of my own stupid incidents: it can cycle with the snap of a hand at some points meaning Etika probably was 100% sane when he gets taken out of these hospitals. It's because of this that a lot of times doctors actually can be a bit wary of prescribing any medication at all because becoming dependent on them can cause bigger issues, and maybe god forbid being on something like xanax when you're not going through a depressive phase. It takes a LOT of therapy and alternating medications to truly treat something like this, and on top of that it also takes super strong will to even understand when you're about to or already going through a hypomanic or manic episode and calm yourself down as no matter what you're on that can happen easily with the snap of your fingers. It sucks.

The good news is though that it is treatable and I think everyone shouting for Etika to get offline for good just don't get it at all: I'm willing to be one of your favorite performers, activists, writers, or even youtubers has something similar going on. The problem isn't exactly social media overload even though it seems that way, once again this is where the disconnect happens: the problem is that Etika himself needs to learn to properly manage himself which I'd imagine taking a break from social media would help in that but making the grand standpoint that he's permanently ill is missing the point, and I'd actually argue is sort of inhumane. Etika's a human like anyone else, and yeah when people have issues you need to get those in check, but the idea of taking away a man's passion and dreams and career just because you personally don't think he's capable is just not right… at all. I'm willing to bet there's at least one of your favorite performers, artists, politicians, musicians, designers etc who suffer through the exact same things who would never have created the thing you enjoy if they had listened to that mentality. Look at it this way: people with a disability are going to struggle a lot in life, and there's gonna be a lot of pain and struggles to go along with it, but that doesn't mean they don't have the right to try.

And then for everyone who shouts that Etika's a bigoted asshole who is faking things for attention… he ain't faking anything for attention, all of these incidents are like weird cries to try and make sense of all the nonsense going on in his mind at once: take it from a guy who's actually had it happen to him. Does that excuse him for saying a lot of hurtful nonsense? No, much like how I'm sure I'm gonna regret a lot of the stuff I've personally done during my episodes the rest of my life… in fact I've actually been suicidal over some of the things I've done because I knew they were wrong and had ZERO excuse for them, and no this wasn't a manic episode kicking in, this was legitimately me feeling remorse and regret and wanting to punish myself in a way that I believed and in 2016 I actually was going towards some train tracks to put my head under them and let myself be crushed as an atonement of sorts. I told a few people that I knew I loved them, and one actually convinced me to call the suicide hotline which I did… and I guess long story short I'm now typing this up.

People who have issues like bipolar aren't fucking monsters, i want to make that clear. I've seen this idea that Etika and really anyone who've done something awful during an episode are these hard hearted monsters who are only out there to hurt everyone else and get away with it by crying mental illness… Harassing someone over shit like that, when it's clear that's not who they are and clear they regret it, doesn't somehow lower their nonexistent power levels like a boss' HP: it makes them feel actual emotional pain as they already regret what they've done but now here comes some people kicking them while they're usually already down. I know it's hard to understand that people doing something doesn't mean they truly meant it, but that's just how this disorder rolls a lot of times. Now it's great that we regret what we did, but does that excuse our actions? Once again, no… but we also never were asking for an excuse, guilt actually overtakes a lof of people who have this and I've heard that's possibly one of the reasons why suicide is so insanely high for people who've had manic episodes… and as someone who's been in a similar situation like Etika's: he ain't faking it. Even if he ends up being found alive, this is a cry for him trying to atone for some of this shit as he even states himself in his video. I was lucky in my case that my screw ups were never the laughing stock of the world, I gotta say though that I'd imagine Etika's heart is being torn to shreds over this whole thing.

Apologies about any typos, by the way; I typed this entirely on an iPhone keyboard and wanna post it before anymore flame wars over this happen because I think it needs to be said, it's also 2:30 AM and I'm about to pass out

Wow... great emotional post. Just wow. Thanks for the insight from your own actual experiences. Hey, I'm glad you're alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.