• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joegrine_25

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Trinidad and Tobago
Investigators have recovered personal items belonging to missing Youtuber along the Manhattan Bridge, police sources told The Post Saturday.

Desmond Amofah — a 29-year-old video game reviewer who goes by the name Etika on Youtube, where he boasts 131,000 followers — was last heard from around 8 p.m. Wednesday, cops said.

Police began searching for any sign of the Brooklyn man the same day he vanished, prompting investigators to make a startling discovery — while canvassing the Manhattan Bridge Wednesday night, cops found Amofah's New York State driver's license, along with several other cards and his wallet.

https://nypost.com/2019/06/22/missi...9Ona6V4EcEJvFOD24AiG9w_2FWmW-NSo7896F4fe6G9BY

Lock me if old..........

mod post - guidelines for thread

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Thread has been rebooted.

1. The update in the OP, if accurate, sets this incident apart from past hoaxes and false alarms. Therefore we will be taking action against posts that are dismissive.

2. Stay on topic and do not make things personal. This is a serious topic and not a topic for metacommentary and sniping at other members or trying to settle scores from past threads.

3. Do not go on tangents that attempt to use mental health to excuse bigotry.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Jesus H...I can't deny that I know what it's like to get to that point. I was able to reverse course each time thankfully and hope the same for Desmond.

Deleted member 2913

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was looking for updates earlier and saw this, I hope he's okay. My heart sunk when I read it.

Also... thanks for rebooting the thread.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Godammit, I hope he's alright. Mostly an outsider to his content, but this is a genuine cry for psychological help if I've ever seen one :/

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would be surprised if it turns out he's alive.

Sadly that's my bet as well tbh. If you willingly just leave your wallet with that much personal information just laying on the ground in New York I'm going to say your probably knowing your not going to need it any longer.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cant say I cared for his particular brand of video but even casually fallowing the situation around him the last few months, it seemed obvious he was becoming desperate and cracking under the pressure of his weird fame and that the dude needed help.

Hope he is OK and can get that help.

Patazord

Dec 14, 2017
I remember him talking about a big event in June with his " friends ", i always had a bad feeling about this.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I had my own story as to why this situation is getting to me and why it feels like the world is on repeat before the reboot:

The last time I saw a friend I was showing them Left4Dead2 on my PC. He never did drugs or acted mean to anyone and was all about trying to stay healthy and his vibe kept me hopeful that things can get better. I met him through a psychosis support group and coincidentally hes my sisters friends brother. About a month later seemingly without warning
had a psychotic episode and im told hes driven his car into oncoming traffic and 3 people died including himself and I felt like throwing up

I've seen how the system and the social workers treated us first hand, patronizing as if we're children and never taking us seriously. Its hard enough dealing with a broken brain and feeling like you can't relate to anyone or belong in the world, and every single little encounter starts to feel like it weighs a tonne on your mind.

Many millions of people have died and suffered similarly and it so often seems like a joke to everyone, until it isn't. Now Etika might prove to be alive and this could be a really shitty prank, but for the love of humanity I hope that doesn't make people backpedal on the issue either way.

That said, I didn't agree with all the people calling for Prof Beefs ban at all. Hes been a good user for so many years on multiple boards, people make mistakes and he seems to feel really bad about that one.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Jesus, i'm definitely fearing the worst now.

Those early responses in the thread about the video make me sick to my stomache, especially now.

Cryxok

Oct 27, 2017
México
Sucks to hear this
I honesty expected him to be in some sort of psychiatric hospital after his last breakdown. Was really surprised to see him react to the E3.
Hoping for the best

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just felt my stomach sink. Before his first mental break down and he started saying nasty shit I remember all the donations coming through with messages on his streams of people being grateful for how positive he was and how his positivity helped them threw trouble times of their own.

Made this post in the last thread. I hope he's ok.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I fully expect to wake up and have it confirmed that Etika is gone. Mental health care in this country needs massive reform and sadly we're going to have thousands of more stories like Etika's before some actual changes happen.

BestGriff

Oct 30, 2017
God damn it. Please let this just be a fucked up idea for a prank. I hope they find him alive and safe...

Deleted member 36749

Banned
Dec 24, 2017
Atlanta
I really dont know much about the guy but ive seen this story on like 10nsites tonight. I hope hes okay, and I also hope his family is doing okay during these times.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
I hope with all my heart this isn't the end... but things aren't looking good. I hope he's okay. And I hope his family can get some closure to his disappearance.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I know things are looking dire but I am really pulling for a happy resolution to this story. Hope he's found safe and then he gets the help he needs for his mental health. I'll probably always associate him with the 3D printed Switch he excitedly showed on his twitch stream a few years back months before the Switch released, which caused a frenzy. iirc that 3D printed Switch was crafted by someone who is a member here.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I said it in the last thread, and I'll say it again: there is no 'crying wolf' when it comes to suicide. If someone is talking about suicide, threatening suicide, or having suicidal ideation, then it is a serious matter. Them having not killed themselves every time they express these feelings or have a mental breakdown is NOT evidence that they are 'faking' suicide. Most people who commit suicide have contemplated it for a long time, and may have even had multiple breakdowns or attempts until they actually go through with it or are successful in ending their own life.

I hope that he is still alive, and I hope that I never again see another thread on this forum with people questioning suicidal ideation and behavior. I don't want to be part of a community that makes light of serious mental health issues and that is apathetic and callous to people who suffer.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This guy has been crying for help for how long ago and nothing has come from it. I hope he's found safe.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Don't know what to think...I've been angry at him before for his hoaxes and taking his fans for a ride...but I sure hope this is a hoax (however fucked up that sounds) as there's at least hope he can get help. I hope he's alive...

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
I see people talking about it everywhere. I just hope he is ok, im certain his brother wouldnt have wanted this but I know in these moments you just go into a mode where you completely tune out of logic and say fuck it.

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
I have multiple friends who committed suicide, so these topics hits me hard. I really hope he is ok.

Again, mental health issues are serious matters.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
i think the staff post is cowardly and burying the moderator stepping down in a locked thread no one has any incentive to go to because this was rebooted is a terrible way to handle this and really gives me little faith in the moderation team

Status
Not open for further replies.