• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
A landmark report from the United Nations' scientific panel on climate change paints a far more dire picture of the immediate consequences of climate change than previously thought and says that avoiding the damage requires transforming the world economy at a speed and scale that has "no documented historic precedent."

Basically, if the current gas emissions level stays the same (not even talking about if it's worse), the atmosphere will warm up by 2.7 degrees Fahrenheit and "50 million people who will be exposed to the effects of increased coastal flooding".

The authors found that if greenhouse gas emissions continue at the current rate, the atmosphere will warm up by as much as 2.7 degrees Fahrenheit (1.5 degrees Celsius) above preindustrial levels by 2040, inundating coastlines and intensifying droughts and poverty.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/07/climate/ipcc-climate-report-2040.html

I cannot understand why so many people just don't care.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Basically, if the current gas emissions level stays the same (not even talking about if it's worse), the atmosphere will warm up by 2.7 degrees Fahrenheit and "50 million people who will be exposed to the effects of increased coastal flooding".

The effects from climate change have been so gradual in terms of a human lifetime that people can't really feel the difference from a year-to-year basis. At least, not yet.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
At least I'll be able to witness the fall of humanity in my lifetime. That's something to look forward to.

YhCk4Mj.jpg

jackal27

Oct 25, 2017
Joplin, MO
Can't wait for mandatory energy regulations on everyday citizens while the giant corporations responsible for 70% of this will continue business as usual.

Mark my word.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Oh really?

So what your saying is me telling everyone baby boomers will still be around to see the horror was true and accurate.

Joy

Oct 25, 2017
This is the one reason I'm not sure the US should be adding some islands as states. Will they even exist in 60 years?

In a way, the best shot at keeping those islands in existence is if they become states. The current structure in DC right now needs drastic changes fast if we want to be able to properly respond to climate change in an effective manner long term. We can't afford to keep bouncing back and forth between the two parties, with efforts being raised up by a Democratic administration and then suddenly dismantled when the GOP successor comes in.

Oct 25, 2017
In a way, the best shot at keeping those islands in existence is if they become states. The current structure in DC right now needs drastic changes fast if we want to be able to properly respond to climate change in an effective manner long term. We can't afford to keep bouncing back and forth between the two parties, with efforts being raised up by a Democratic administration and then suddenly dismantled when the GOP successor comes in.

Outside of major relocation inland, how can they be saved if they're nearly entirely underwater? Not trying to be aggressive, I just seriously don't see how these places survive with rising tides and worsening storms.

Status
Not open for further replies.