• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio State has concluded that a team doctor sexually abused at least 177 men, including many varsity athletes, while working for the university in the 1970s, '80s and '90s. The university also found that college officials knew about the actions for years and did not act to stop them.

In a report issued Friday, Ohio State said the doctor, Richard Strauss, who committed suicide in 2005, had groped students, required them to strip, and asked intimate questions about sexual practices under the guise of providing medical treatment.

The university said that college personnel knew about Dr. Strauss's activities as early as 1979 but that no reports advanced out of the athletic department or the student health department until 1996. After his actions were finally reported, he was suspended and then removed from his post, but he remained a tenured faculty member. Dr. Strauss then opened an off-campus clinic and continued to abuse students. He was still a professor emeritus at the time of his death, though Ohio State said Friday that it would begin the process of revoking that status.

Several coaches and players told investigators they had reported Dr. Strauss's actions over the years to various athletic department officials, but those complaints never seems to gain traction at the university or progress to higher authorities who might have acted, the investigators found.

As late as 1995, Dr. Strauss received nothing lower than "excellent" on his performance evaluation.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/17/sports/ohio-state-sexual-abuse.html

Anything to protect a school's immediate sports reputation.

Deleted member 56773

User requested account closure
Banned
May 16, 2019
Do disgusting. Here's a question: when are we gonna see a presidential candidate come out with a plan to fix the absolutely rampant sexual violence in the US? I think about that every time the elections start coming up again. Most candidates virtually never even mention it, some mention it but don't actually talk about it in depth or provide any solutions.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus christ how can one man get away with molesting so many young men and just fucking get away with it?

Skatterd

Oct 25, 2017
YWTVLREV34I6RJTZWCJBF63JYI.jpg

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
One of these schools needs to be made an example of. Clearly what happened to Penn State wasn't enough to scare administrators into making sure everything going on within their school was in tip-top shape.
I believe this doctor killed himself back in 2005. 6 years before Penn State came to light. That said, I hadn't heard that this guy's misdeeds were known all the way back in 79? That's insane!

I'd heard on local NPR that he was known as Dr. Nuts by many because it was know that whatever you went in for he'd ask the patient to strip. It's insane.

Last edited:

Lonewulfeus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus christ how can one man get away with molesting so many young men and just fucking get away with it?

Because in general, people do not care that an adult man is fondled or groped or molested. Men, generally, tend to keep stuff like that to themselves for fear of being called gay or weak. I was discussing Jim Jordan with a friend who was certain his scandal from his wrestling coach days would end his career while I was pretty adamant that it would be forgotten by that weekend.

I believe this doctor killed himself back in 2005 I believe. 6 years before Penn State came to light. That said, I hadn't heard that this guy's misdeeds were known all the way back in 79? That's insane!

I'd heard on local NPR that he was known as Dr. Nuts by many because it was know that whatever you went in for he'd ask the patient to strip. It's insane.

They've known about this since 1979?! Jesus, that's horrific.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

There is zero support system in American society for men to talk about being sexually assaulted. The country has no idea how to deal with us as victims so it pretends it never happens to us. It took me eighteen years to figure out how to come out about my own assault and that was after I kept it secret for my entire young life because I thought admitting to it would make me weak and pathetic.

Combine that with dynastic college sports taking precedence above all else in shitstain states like Ohio and you have young men being preyed upon and a school system that supports the abuser over the abused every single time.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
It's okay, guys. It's not like these are taxpayer-funded state schools, or like we send our children to these institutions of higher learning with the idea that the universities will protect and shield them to the fullest extent they can. Nope, it's cool, MONEY MONEY MONEY SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS. Totally reasonable to just keep letting them off with slaps on the wrist!

OP
OP
WedgeX

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Burn. The B1G. To the ground.

I do wonder if this happened more in the B1G - with schools more desperate to protect their images by hiding things - or whether there's a mountain of terribleness waiting to be uncovered in schools that have suppressed stories like this even more forcefully.

Ryuuroden

Oct 25, 2017
Sadly I'm sure it's happened at all colleges all over the USA. I do not think it's some special thing limited to the B1G. If it is linked to how worshiped college and high school sports are then I fear what may come out from southern and southwestern schools. I mean we have already heard how big rape is in schools like Baylor. Cynical me thinks this shit happens everywhere and there are no good colleges. Anywhere there is power, sexual abuse seems to follow (Hollywood, Church, The workplace, Athletics, The list goes on and on) and somehow we as a society need to change that.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Disgusting, the even more fucked up thing is that there is probably even more. The stigma attached to sexually abused men by society means many won't say a word in their lives.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
My alma mater continues to impress. Add this to the weak response to Urban Meyer looking the other way at domestic abuse allegations.

Looks like he was removed right when I started attending. I was friends with a few fencers and football players and never heard about this scandal, though I suppose this isn't the kind of thing young men would talk about, especially back then.

Now when you say Pedo State in reference to the Big Ten half the conference turns and looks

Not that I'm defending what happened in any way, but these were college students, not children like Penn State.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Sadly I'm sure it's happened at all colleges all over the USA. I do not think it's some special thing limited to the B1G. If it is linked to how worshiped college and high school sports are then I fear what may come out from southern and southwestern schools. I mean we have already heard how big rape is in schools like Baylor. Cynical me thinks this shit happens everywhere and there are no good colleges. Anywhere there is power, sexual abuse seems to follow (Hollywood, Church, The workplace, Athletics, The list goes on and on) and somehow we as a society need to change that.

There's no question that this isn't isolated to the Big 10. It's definitely naive to think that. But there isn't much impetus for schools that also might be covering stuff up to come clean and make changes if the schools that are actually caught suffer no consequences. We have three huge universities, big money generators for the NCAA, guilty of this stuff, and they go on unscathed. Nuke them all.