• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Subba

Banned
Feb 23, 2018
The only good thing that could come from this would be the federal government finally going belly up and slashing tons of programs.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
The only good thing that could come from this would be the federal government finally going belly up and slashing tons of programs.
How is that a good thing?

People starving on the street and going without medical care so the donor class can increase their power over the rest of society.

Deleted member 19003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Christ. Just a visual reminder of how lopsided such a cut would be

201201_CapGains_shares_by_income_group.png

Bran Van

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Cutting Capital Gains taxes are good in theory because it does increase investment and boom property markets

But in reality it just increases the wealth divide and make property prices unattainable for young people. See: Australia

ABIC

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
Wow. I'm not ultra wealthy but 99% of my net worth is in stocks and this will help.

One thing to realize is that capital gains triggers at the 1 year point with no further tax incentives to hold more than 1 year outside of the gain on the principal.

This law would actually create incentives to hold for longer periods, and in some ways would be even more beneficial as we'll see some trading strategies swing towards weighing to the long term. In fact, retirement portfolios of the middle class would massively benefit as that holding timeline is decades.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow. I'm not ultra wealthy but 99% of my net worth is in stocks and this will help.

One thing to realize is that capital gains triggers at the 1 year point with no further tax incentives to hold more than 1 year outside of the gain on the principal.

This law would actually create incentives to hold for longer periods, and in some ways would be even more beneficial as we'll see some trading strategies swing towards weighing to the long term. In fact, retirement portfolios of the middle class would massively benefit as that holding timeline is decades.
This isn't a law. It's also not legal.

Taxation power lies with Congress, not the Executive Branch.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
Cutting Capital Gains taxes are good in theory because it does increase investment and boom property markets

But in reality it just increases the wealth divide and make property prices unattainable for young people. See: Australia
If we had a surplus, a solid safety net, fair income equality, fully funded social security, and single payer health care, I would be open to talking about cutting capital gains tax, especially if it more regular folk had capital gains to tax.

rambis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would be for this policy if it wasnt for that trillion dollar hole in the deficit.

Americans in general need higher wages and more interest/knowledge in investing.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
So this is on top of the tax scam that was passed?

Trump using the US Government as a Ponzi scheme is not surprising.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Read a comment on the NYtimes site that basically captured the essence of this move. "smash and grab time" for the republicans, get as many freebies in before they potentially lose the house.

GuyIncognito

Nov 2, 2017
New York
Bad optics and clearly skewed NYT headline aside, the concept of being taxed on inflation has always been crazy.

Hopefully this can be dealt with by congress to make things easier than the administrative route.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On the bright side, maybe people will stop believing republicans on the whole "fiscally reponsible" meme.

OP
OP
xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NorCal
Read a comment on the NYtimes site that basically captured the essence of this move. "smash and grab time" for the republicans, get as many freebies in before they potentially lose the house.
Plan A: Put more money in the pockets of wealthy donors so they can fund Republican campaigns in the midterm elections
Plan B: If Republicans don't hold on to power after the election they'll at least have looted the country on their way out

rambis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree in principle but I doubt a democratic house would undo this.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
Plan A: Put more money in the pockets of wealthy donors so they can fund Republican campaigns in the midterm elections
Plan B: If they don't hold on to power they'll at least loot the country on their way out
And then they only need to wait 4-8 years before they can try again, because time has shown, the average American voter has no memory and is stupid.

It's sad that it took a black man getting elected for the party to splinter (Tea Party) but Trump hasn't yet.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure they think it is only a matter of time before they are ousted, and they want to try and get as much in as possible.

Katamari

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Your average Republican believes that life is hard for the rich and easy for the poor. The poor are too lazy to work and they live like a king. The rich slave away carrying this country and their money goes to paying for the poor.

They believe we need to end these handouts. The rich already give so much through charity. And giving should be voluntary. That they are rich solely because they work harder and smarter than everyone else.

There will never be enough tax cuts until the tax rate is negative for the rich.

philipnorth

Oct 31, 2017
Combined with shutting down federal gov if Dems dont pay for the wall that Mexico was paying?

Damn America.... really?

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
But why?

It seems like with every passing news story about the economy and politics in the US, I can't see how the economy survives in the next 5 years.

Who cares if the average American can buy a house, fix a cavity, or drive on paved roads, GDP and corporate revenue are the only metrics I need to sleep at night baby.