• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
I have the feeling those ID checkers at bases are rotated out frequently, and the one on this day was probably some by the book bootstrapping lad that saw the word "warrant" and took it a little too seriously and ran it up the chain of command.
That's probably likely.

"ID checker" isn't a military job. It's usually an MP, but sometimes literally any job code assigned to do it, and it's a job that rotates frequently enough.

It's also a job earned via quasi-punishment or counseling, because it's boring AF.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
DHARMA PUNX has an interesting posting history. That's some sad hateful shit. Hopefully he's gone for good as the community doesn't need shitty people like him here.
Yeah with how blatant he was being I took a peek and after just the first page of his "content" I went ahead and reproted him like I'm sure other people did too.

"Good riddance" lol

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
The point is, people want to dismiss this because "he had a warrant" like he's some wanted felon, and he's not. it's the same 'conflate the immigrants with the violent criminals' nonsense that the racists are trying to pull.

I'd also point out, no one is demanding to see your immigration papers prior to an administration coming along and acting like citizens have some god-given duty to root immigrants out of their communities. Lots of good laws exist that for also very good reasons we don't enforce that strenuously. The culture of how hard we look for rule breakers is just as important as what the laws are themselves, and creating this cultural panic and atmosphere of paranoia where a guy feels the need to check out his pizza delivery guy is just as damaging a consequence of Trump as any actual policy change. This sort of shit doesn't happen otherwise.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
I have been in this country for over 20 years and I'm not a citizen. And getting a green card isn't easy, you have to have money, documents and people to sponsor you. And these fuckers don't play, if your i arent dotted and t's crossed you have to resend you stuff again and that cost more money.

Yeah, my (basically) MiL is renewing her green card right now and it's like $650 bucks, and they make it very clear if you fuck up even in the slightest you will have to 1) start over again (it takes several months to renew and I'm sure getting it the first time is way longer) and 2) have to pony up the fee again.

My butthole is mega clenched helping my SO and her mom through this shit as I don't want to fuck anything up. Legal counsel is obviously a good idea, but again, that's another $300+.

Last edited:

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's probably likely.

"ID checker" isn't a military job. It's usually an MP, but sometimes literally any job code assigned to do it, and it's a job that rotates frequently enough.

It's also a job earned via quasi-punishment or counseling, because it's boring AF.

Yeah, good call. I've interacted with my fair share of MP at gates when I was a defense contractor, and yes, they were armed. They'd also have the electronic gates that rise if you try to drive through.

I've been on other bases where you have to drive through a staggered driveway to slow your progress. This of course was with much heavier weaponry than your standard sidearm.

May 3, 2018
I have been in this country for over 20 years and I'm not a citizen. And getting a green card isn't easy, you have to have money, documents and people to sponsor you. And these fuckers don't play, if your i arent dotted and t's crossed you have to resend you stuff again and that cost more money and time.

Considering the whole country was built upon immigration it's mind blowing how protectionist the government is when it comes to I'm migration. I get the whole wanting to screen people stuff but wtf.

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry
Yeah some common sense and humanity should have been applied by the soldier. He was working and has a family yet they treat him like a complete criminal.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
That's probably likely.

in the navy they pull people from shore commands to aid the MAs with ID checking, they pulled like 3 ETs/ITs every six to eight months from my command to go stand the gates and scan IDs. Don't know if other branches do this too.

vectorj

Oct 30, 2017
This story is heartbreaking, but he was here illegally and had an ICE warrant. Our laws are our laws. I'm not sure what the solution to these situations is. I want to see a better way. But you have to know that if you are not here legally that your time could come at any time.

Yeah thank god this guy has been taken away, rescuing us from the crimes of pizza delivery. Truly America is better for this man being ripped away from his job, destabilizing his family. A real Net Positive for the Good ol' U S of A.

The human solution would've been to just tell the guy to come get his pizza outside, if the base wasn't going to let him in. Not detain and deport him.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
I'd also point out, no one is demanding to see your immigration papers prior to an administration coming along and acting like citizens have some god-given duty to root immigrants out of their communities. Lots of good laws exist that for also very good reasons we don't enforce that strenuously. The culture of how hard we look for rule breakers is just as important as what the laws are themselves, and creating this cultural panic and atmosphere of paranoia where a guy feels the need to check out his pizza delivery guy is just as damaging a consequence of Trump as any actual policy change. This sort of shit doesn't happen otherwise.
But this wasn't a "show me your papers" case.

No one's getting on a DOD installation without proper authorization. Usually that's a DOD ID card. Or it's a visitor pass, granted after the applicant clears security.

In this case, the database that the Army uses reflected an active federal removal order — I don't know the applicable AR here, but I'm analogizing from my Air Force days under what circumstance we'd notify DoJ for, say, an outstanding bench warrant for failure to pay child support.

It's very likely that Army policy was to notify the cognizant federal agency (ICE) when faced with knowledge of the removal order.

I'm sympathetic to the driver, but I'm more surprised that it took this long for him to get arrested: how did the database NOT reflect the removal order until now? You aren't getting on post without a pass; it's odd to me.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, pizza is not the healthiest food there is, but I don't think military personnel needs protection here. Joking aside, this is a really dick move of them.

Without any more info, I don't think there was any maliciousness to it. I think it was just one of those guys who does everything by the book and when required to do a background check this warrant came up.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
For what? What are you personally going to do with it?
I'm not in the best mood right now so forgive me for asking for a name to try to understand. Especially when it comes to cases like deportation. Something I had experience in.

Of course the soldier was most likely following orders. But I'm not going to harass him for that or if he did it maliciously. But right now, he's not on my good side.

rambis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Awful story and yeah Im pretty sure they are within their rights. Never go to a base if you have a warrant. Even like a failure to appear for traffic stuff.

Deleted member 4274

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a EXTREMELY disgusting display of humanity. That poor family. Trump has truly broken the spirit of the country.

Advance_Alarm

Banned
Dec 4, 2017
Here's some information for you, but basically it is not easy to get a green card in the United States, there are limits each year: https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...r-legal-residency-actually-looks-like/540408/

Your info doesn't apply in this case. The guy in OP has US citizen wife. He would be classified as an immediate relative of a USC. There is no waiting period (besides processing time) and no limit on those green cards. However, it's not clear what his total immigration history is and if there is anything thst would make him inadmissible.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
America is now the worst shithole. :lol

Just wow, the guy was just delivering pizza and they held him out of suspicions***.

***Suspicions = Racism.

mercenar1e

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
A warrant for his arrest followed by deportation will most likely guarantee that his green card application is denied.

Yoshi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Without any more info, I don't think there was any maliciousness to it. I think it was just one of those guys who does everything by the book and when required to do a background check this warrant came up.
The guy was just delivering pizza. With jobs like that and a visual minority status, chances are pretty high you bring someone into deep trouble. I would certainly not do that, even though I am a bit puzzled by the illegal immigration issues in the US.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Your info doesn't apply in this case. The guy in OP has US citizen wife. He would be classified as an immediate relative of a USC. There is no waiting period (besides processing time) and no limit on those green cards. However, it's not clear what his total immigration history is and if there is anything thst would make him inadmissible.

Thanks for the correction. I'm sorry I gave out misleading information.

Twenty7kvn

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Considering the whole country was built upon immigration it's mind blowing how protectionist the government is when it comes to I'm migration. I get the whole wanting to screen people stuff but wtf.
Yea it's crazy and I didn't even talk about getting sent back to your country to get a visa to be able to come back so you can finish your application, and if your country doesn't have a US embassy you get sent to the one in your (zone) so to speak and that can be in a different country.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
How the hell can you be in the country and not be a citizen for 10 years? Why was he getting a green card only now? This doesn't make sense.
The reason we had an immigration reform debate pre-Trump was because everyone seemed to acknowledge how broken our immigration system is. Then republicans decided it was an opportunity to stop immigration instead of fixing it.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I was in the Army for nearly 12 long years, and honestly getting away from it was the best choice I ever made. It's polluted with very toxic under educated white people from Southern States. The "equality training" is death by power point. I was an EO in the Army and spent a lot of time doing exercises instead of listing slides and regulations, but most of my peers did not do the same. Check the block and move on was the motto for most in my position. Gross.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully the restaurant will press charges against someone on base over the stolen pizza.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
I'm just going to highlight that we're missing some pieces of the story here: specifically, I'm still questioning what was different "this" time.

Delivery drivers and certain taxis (but not nearly all Ubers) are allowed on military bases, but I think the businesses have to have pass arrangements with the base. The cars usually have tags or decals then.

(I definitely ordered my share at Maxwell AFB in Alabama.)

One plausible thing that the article would never mention (or know to ask) is whether any FPCON changes directed higher scrutiny at the gates.

This could be caused by a real world incident or even an exercise.

McMahon

Banned
May 24, 2018
Los Angeles
I was in the Army for nearly 12 long years, and honestly getting away from it was the best choice I ever made. It's polluted with very toxic under educated white people from Southern States. The "equality training" is death by power point. I was an EO in the Army and spent a lot of time doing exercises instead of listing slides and regulations, but most of my peers did not do the same. Check the block and move on was the motto for most in my position. Gross.
Yeah, same here with the Marines. Top to bottom a lot of vile people.

Deleted member 4274

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Immigration law, enforcement, and policy has always been racist in the US. We live in an age where information is readily accessible so things "seem worse" nowadays.

I'm well aware of that. i'm reading some of the reactions on twitter, and one egregious one here. This country has always been broken, but shit may be a wrap here. I don't see shit getting better. Trump has awakened something truly awful and it will swallow us whole..

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm just going to highlight that we're missing some pieces of the story here: specifically, I'm still questioning what was different "this" time.

Delivery drivers and certain taxis (but not nearly all Ubers) are allowed on military bases, but I think the businesses have to have pass arrangements with the base. The cars usually have tags or decals then.

One plausible thing that the article would never mention (or know to ask) is whether any FPCON changes directed higher scrutiny at the gates.

You only need to have a permanent pass if you have made at least 20(?) entries on that particular base that year.
I've never had one, but I hit my limit at one base a few years ago near the end of the year.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Probably not checking in after he elected voluntary deportation in 2010, which turned into an automatic removal order.

I don't know for sure — I don't know USCIS — but it's plausible that active removal orders trip something in the Green Card queue.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
You only need to have a permanent pass if you have made at least 20(?) entries on that particular base that year.
But they're not going to let some rando carrying a pizza on base. Even if he's driving something with a Dominos logo.

The company has to arrange for temporary passes for its drivers, right?

I'm just curious what the procedures are for this.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
America is now the worst shithole. :lol

Just wow, the guy was just delivering pizza and they held him out of suspicions***.

***Suspicions = Racism.
Truly, the guy must be thinking he's better off getting deported, right?

10 years is a long time not to get your shit together, especially when his wife is a citizen and he had children that are citizens. He'll probably get through with his green card and they should think of hitting up an immigration lawyer who deal with things like this. My uncle was deported and he was back in NY within 3 months.

This was a trap, plain and simple.
It wasn't sounds like guy who didn't know what's up and took it to extremes.

May 3, 2018
While the whole situation is heartbreaking I believe the vitriol being spewed at the guy who detained him is wrong. As it's been said already without proper authorization you aren't getting into any DoD facility. So during this authorization it came up, you can't just assume he was racist, or hated them immigrants or whatever is being said here. As a military officer ESPECIALLY, you would imagine he would follow protocol. He saw the flag, you cant expect the guy to just wave it off and compromise see his position.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
But they're not going to let some rando carrying a pizza on base. Even if he's driving something with a Dominos logo.

The company has to arrange for temporary passes for its drivers, right?

I'm just curious what the procedures are for this.

Our company gets us put on a vendor list for the day a month or so advance just to be sure.
But at the base where I hit the limit they'll let people in without any advance notice unless they're under heightened security. Like if you want to go to GameStop or get a steak they'll normally let you in if you tell them that and have a valid driver's license. Some other bases are much stricter.

rambis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Its not that unordinary honestly. You are subject to random inspections and questioning every time you go unto a US installation. And I know they've had the ability to lookup instant background data since before I got out.

How does he have a license? Is NY not real ID or whatever?

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Its not that unordinary honestly. You are subject to random inspections and questioning every time you go unto a US installation. And I know they've had the ability to lookup instant background data since before I got out.

How does he have a license? Is NY not real ID or whatever?
It's a ID card not a license