NYC ERA Meetup: Friday December 7, 2018 | A Smashing Good Time 🤙🏻

Oct 25, 2017

It’s the last official NYC Era meetup of the year! So before you hibernate in the warm with video games and TV until 2019, come out to Williamsburg for a jolly good time.

When: Friday, December 7th
Time: Starting at 6PM (Rocka Rolla bar) followed by The Commodore
What: We’ll be gathering up at Rocka Rolla then at around 7pm head to The Commodore for some sweet sweet chicken and biscuits. What comes after The Commodore? Perhaps we hit up the legendary Action Burger to play Smash Bros or the single members try to find love at Union Pool? Maybe we just all decide we have the voices of angels and do karaoke at Alligator Lounge. Who knows what the night holds!

6PM: Rocka Rolla – chill bar that serves beer in goblets

7PM: The Commodore – best. Fried chicken. Ever.

Rest of the night: Possible options include Action Burger (The Room of restaurants), Union Pool (NYC's #1 trash bar), Alligator Lounge (a free slice of pizza with every drink / karaoke)

What’s the best way to contact people to make sure I don’t show up somewhere alone?
You can either post here or ask for a NYC Era Discord link. Last minute updates and photos of sandwiches are generally shared there. Big updates like venue changes will be cross posted on the thread. It's a good idea to use the Discord to contact us if you're at the location and can't find us; sometimes we get so caught up in each other's wonderfully charming personalities that we don't pay attention to the site.

How long have these meetups been around?
FOR YEARS

But I’m not a social butterfly and prefer to stay home to x activity. Strangers are weird.
“Do not be too timid or too unsure about your actions. All life is an experiment.” Yeah, we don’t know you and have never met but if you want to get over that, the best way to do it is to go out and socialize. We were all strangers at some point before we met.

I’m banned and/or stopped posting. Can I still come out?
The more, the merrier, so feel free to show up!

How many people typically come out?
On average around 10 - ∞ people; it consists of regulars and new comers, as well as poor significant others dragged out to meet Era members. Past meetups have attracted people from out of state and even out of the country. All are welcome and no need to feel too timid or unwelcome; meetups attract folks with a wide array of interests so groups typically split into smaller conversations.

How long do these meetups last? Do you peeps always meetup at one location or move around the city?
The Meetups go on for as long as there are people still willing to be out. As the night goes on the group dwindles down but there’s usually an enthusiastic few who want to go another bar or eat late night fast food.

Do I have to drink to be cool with you all?
Nobody will pressure you to drink so if it’s water or soda you want, more power to you. A few regulars barely drink or don't drink at all. But if you drink, make sure you keep an eye on how much you consume because we preferably want you to get home safe. No one wants a Floridian bloody face.

But I’m poor and I’m trying to be frugal! Rent isn't cheap you know!
We all have bills to pay and are willing to take some of our time to meet up; one night out isn’t going to kill your budget. If anything, someone may buy you a drink and/or share food. Plus, delightful conversation about pop-culture, New York and the meaning of life is always free.

Oh no! It's too cold to be outside! You guys are crazy!
Dress accordingly then. While weather is something to keep an eye on, it's not a factor so the show must go on.

This is going to be really awkward isn’t it?
It’s only awkward if you make it awkward for yourself.

Where I can go air out my grievances about how expensive NYC is when there isn’t a meetup?
https://www.resetera.com/threads/nyc-thread-the-greatest-city-on-earth.326/

Is it true one of your regulars spams Discord with Fortnite memes all day and then picks up cute women at the meetups?

Confirmed not attending:
Jhoan

Hope to see you there!

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Are these events always the first week of the month? I am planning on being in NYC in January but probably not until the 15th or so.

Oct 25, 2017
Why must it be on the day of Smash :(

Just awful timing, I swear I'm going to show up to one of these things one of these days.

fallengorn

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Are these events always the first week of the month? I am planning on being in NYC in January but probably not until the 15th or so.
Nah, it's usually based on people's schedules or if there's an event we can all meet at.

I'd check in at the NYC Era thread to see if there's anything cooking when you're about to be in town.

Oct 26, 2017
Kanik's been our token white guy once cause most who showed up first were Asian. I'm sure Penguin's always our token black guy.

Oct 25, 2017
Just bring smash with you
I'm bringing Smash with me bro
I took a day off of work so I can stay hunkered in my apartment to play it nonstop for the weekend.

Going out is great! I love being a social butterfly, but even I have moments that don’t work. Hope next month works, but I’m going to MAGFest, and knowing the luck of these meetups it’ll happen then.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Will there be any women there?
The last time I showed up to one of these with other women, it was assumed by more than a few attendees that we were there as potential dates. :/ Granted, that was years ago now and quite a large group so it obviously wasn't everyone being like that.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Depends on how Smash goes...

The last time I showed up to one of these with other women, it was assumed by more than a few attendees that we were there as potential dates. :/ Granted, that was years ago now and quite a large group so it obviously wasn't everyone being like that.
Ouch I'm sorry to hear that.
We're trying to be more proactive with some of... the more questionable actions of past meet-ups

Oct 26, 2017
Shit, that does suck. I can see why you guys are hesitant about showing up.

OP
OP
Kanik
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like fun. Hopefully no one impersonates me again 😩

Yikes, I can't attest for previous meetups from years ago although I've heard stories. I've only been going to these since August last year but every meetup I've been to can be described as being wholesome enough for Friday nights on ABC, albeit with booze.

Oct 26, 2017
I've only been going to these since August last year but every meetup I've been to can be described as being wholesome enough for Friday nights on ABC, albeit with booze.
Let's plan the next meetup here then!

Seriously though, if I was back in China, we probably would have picked this place for a meetup for shits and giggles.

Let's see, I'm dozing off in front of my desk trying to write an article that's due on Sunday and I'm due for a nap. Good news is I've showered but I'm sleepy as sin. Discord is still MIA to me thanks to having no clue how to get out of 2FA Purgatory. What would I do?

OP
OP
Kanik
Oct 25, 2017
Let's see, I'm dozing off in front of my desk trying to write an article that's due on Sunday and I'm due for a nap. Good news is I've showered but I'm sleepy as sin. Discord is still MIA to me thanks to having no clue how to get out of 2FA Purgatory. What would I do?
Show up to Brooklyn for on-site tech support.