• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Samenamenick

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Manchester, NH
Sorry but this is when violence needs to be part of protection.

There should be guards and bouncers ready to beat a dumb motherfucker. You don't get to lay your hands on an employee and get away with it.
Would you want to be the guy putting a middle-aged black woman in a chokehold or something to subdue her, on camera no less? She was pulled away (by family I assume?) the assault wasn't sustained. Not sure how much better it could've gone without law enforcement being at every hostess station in the city, really.

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
All I've heard is praise for Austin being pretty decently liberal. Eg: https://austin.culturemap.com/news/city-life/09-12-16-best-american-cities-liberals/
To a lesser degree, Houston. Perhaps they are overselling it.

All I know is that I've been to rural Texas and, it's no different than any other backwaters red counties. I would not feel safe as a gay male outside of the few metro enclaves, that's for sure, unless I was remote enough to be far from any other local.
Look it isn't even red states. I lived in Washington for a long time. You step out of Seattle it doesn't look or feel all that different.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
Not from NY. I'm gonna assume that the penalties for that are stiffer than normal?

In NY, attacking bus and subway/train operators is a felony.

In the pandemic context, it should at least be a misdemeanor instead of a ticket and desk appearance if you're attacking the people working at stores, restaurants, and so on who are doing nothing but their jobs while crazy people spit on them for asking them to show proof of vaccination.

Oct 26, 2017
Would you want to be the guy putting a middle-aged black woman in a chokehold or something to subdue her, on camera no less? She was pulled away (by family I assume?) the assault wasn't sustained. Not sure how much better it could've gone without law enforcement being at every hostess station in the city, really.

There was no reason for the assault to have happened in the first place, especially not over a simple goddamn request. If someone is willing to use violence at a simple question about whether they have proof of vaccination, then they need to understand that there are consequences for their actions. At that point, they lost the chance to be given the benefit of the doubt.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, perfectly reasonable response to being asked for proof of vaccination.

...and alot of folks in the GOP basically condones and endorses this.....with their stupid ass rhetoric.

I cant even begin to wrap my mind around that being an understandable response. They are fucking attacking her....for something that was implemented by city officials.

Madness.

They are gonna have to start having security when asking for vaccine proof.

I cannot put myself in the mindset of someone who would attack restaurant staff over not being given a table, no matter the context.
Agree.

Samenamenick

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Manchester, NH
There was no reason for the assault to have happened in the first place, especially not over a simple goddamn request. If someone is willing to use violence at a simple question about whether they have proof of vaccination, then they need to understand that there are consequences for their actions. At that point, they lost the chance to be given the benefit of the doubt.
Your post was calling for violence to stop the attacker in situations like this. If you were in the position to be that person protecting the server, would you have been comfortable with meting it out in this particular situation? Personally, not sure I would. Separate them maybe and hope LE shows up soon like what prob happened here? Maybe

powersurge

Nov 2, 2017
Pensacola, FL
The only way this nonsense ends is if we start charging these people with terrorism. Plain and simple they are using violence and threats of violence for political goals.

rare

Oct 25, 2017
Can other states just ban travel from Texas?
Can't Texas just fucking secede already? Jesus christ.
Or just adjust your expectations. If you're expecting thoughtfulness, don't... and you won't be disappointed, just occasionally surprised.
Of course it was a bunch of fuckin' Texans.
yeah fuck me too for being from texas i guess, sorry for being born here lol of course all of us are conservative christians, its not like houston, austin, or san antonio some of the most diverse cities in the whole country.
shut the fuck up, if you generalize a whole state then you're no better. this kind of shit should be bannable

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
What a great way to show you're a decent and reasonable human being. Punch a worker because they asked for proof of vaccination. Wow.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I'm not watching that fucking video, but those monsters should be buried under the prison. Hope COVID bumps them all off.

Oct 26, 2017
Your post was calling for violence to stop the attacker in situations like this. If you were in the position to be that person protecting the server, would you have been comfortable with meting it out in this particular situation? Personally, not sure I would. Separate them maybe and hope LE shows up soon like what prob happened here? Maybe

I called for violence because I'm getting sick and tired of reading these news. Sick and tired that these idiots get to do whatever without any form of consequences. If I was working as a guard/bouncer and saw the server getting punched, I don't care what anyone says, I'm knocking that dickhead into the ground.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
yeah fuck me too for being from texas i guess, sorry for being born here lol of course all of us are conservative christians, its not like houston, austin, or san antonio some of the most diverse cities in the whole country.
shut the fuck up, if you generalize a whole state then you're no better. this kind of shit should be bannable
Clearly Im not talking about you and if you get upset I don't make a definitive distinction thats your problem.

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL

Imagine being from Florida.

Gotta grow some thicker skin.

No one here thinks all Texans and Floridians are alike.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I know the feeling man living in Alberta (which many consider Texas or Florida North). We get dog piled hard when it is actually the smaller and louder percentage that cause all the ill will. Then people outside the state or province put a generalization sticker for all those living there.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
And yet there are employers who wonder why people don't want to do service work these days...

rare

Oct 25, 2017
Clearly Im not talking about you and if you get upset I don't make a definitive distinction thats your problem.
it's my problem that people think it's funny to generalize an entire state thanks to some dumbasses, same thing with florida man i'm fucking sick of it.
Imagine being from Florida.

Gotta grew some thicker skin.

No one here thinks all Texans and Floridians are alike.
saying shit like that is the problem. it's like me saying "imagine being from afghanistan", "imagine being from nigeria", "imagine being from somalia", it's dumb generalizations like that which hurt the perspective of an entire state thanks to some stupid people. i hate our state government officials because of the fact they make us look fucking stupid and cause people to say stupid generalizations like this. growing "thicker skin" is just accepting that you're ok with people giving you shitty jokes about secession, abortions, hicks, yeehaw cowboy shit don't take any of us seriously guys!!!!!. there's no point in making comments like that.
so fucking stop it.

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
it's my problem that people think it's funny to generalize an entire state thanks to some dumbasses, same thing with florida man i'm fucking sick of it.

saying shit like that is the problem. it's like me saying "imagine being from afghanistan", "imagine being from nigeria", "imagine being from somalia", it's dumb generalizations like that which hurt the perspective of an entire state thanks to some stupid people. i hate our state government officials because of the fact they make us look fucking stupid and cause people to say stupid generalizations like this. growing "thicker skin" is just accepting that you're ok with people giving you shitty jokes about secession, abortions, hicks, yeehaw cowboy shit don't take any of us seriously guys!!!!!. there's no point in making comments like that.
so fucking stop it.

I mean, I'm from Florida. We get shit on all the time. More than Texas. No one is going to take the time to write out contract language exempting "the good Texans and Floridians" when they're doing their drive by posts.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia

so fucking stop it.
It's no different than people talking about "white people" or "men".
In every case they do not mean every single person in that group. I have never been offended by people talking shit about those groups I am apart because we deserve it, even if it's not me personally.
Sit down and chill out.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So it looks like this story was initially misreported

EDIT: tweet didn't embed but it looks like the ladies did have proof of back but we're called the n word..

So, details from that:

- Women were all vaccinated (and presented proof)
- Fight broke out after three men joined, two of whom did not display proof of vaccination
- Lawyers for the women say the cause of the fight was racism, specifically, the hostess used the n-word, spoke condescendingly, etc.
- Lawyers for the restaurant say that wasn't the case, as the women had already been seated initially

EDIT: Description of footage from the article

The footage reviewed by The Times does not include sound, but it suggests tension was already brewing between the hostess and the patrons before the melee began.

In the footage, after the two men were denied entry, a server, wearing a white apron, comes out and talks to the hostess, making hand gestures as if explaining something. Then, footage shows the party of six leaving the restaurant. The hostess leans forward and says something, and the server pulls her back with her arms around her shoulder and gives it a tap, possibly to prevent her from engaging with them.

One of the women, Dr. Rankin, says something to the hostess, pointing a finger at her before getting into what appears to be a verbal dispute with other restaurant staff members, shaking her head. She and the others are led away by another employee, who is Black. Moments later, the party is led back inside the restaurant by its manager. The party crosses paths with the hostess who exits the restaurant.

Footage from inside the hallway shows the hostess brushing past the women as she exits, at which point the women appear to do a double take before pursuing her out the door. It is not clear what occurred in that moment or what might have motivated them to follow her.

Footage from outside the restaurant shows the hostess coming out. Seconds later, one of the patrons, who is wearing glasses, goes up to her from behind, speaks into her ear before shoving her and pulling at her collar. The hostess pushes back and claws back while others try to break them apart.

The melee moves off camera, and one of the attackers is hauled away by one of the servers and one of the men who wasn't allowed in, while staff pull the hostess away, trying to calm her down.

Last edited:
Black Patrons Involved in Fight Share Their Side, Allege Racial Slur

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth

Black Restaurant Patrons Said NYC Hostess Called Them N-Word: Attorney

An attorney for one of the three Texas women arrested for attacking a New York City restaurant hostess is pushing back on the official account and says that the alleged victim actually used a racial slur. Lawyer Justin Moore told The New York Times in a Saturday report that according to the three Black women, the hostess assaulted them. This was "mutual combat," he said.
Moore said that the the Rankins and Lewis had their vaccination cards. Lawyers from both sides of the case say that the fight began after two men joined the women minutes later but could not provide proof of vaccination. Moore, however, said that the hostess suggested the womens' vaccination cards were fake.
A Carmine's attorney denies the racism claim and said the hostess let the women into the restaurant.

lawandcrime.com

"They claim that the N-word is being spewed out."

Footage Reveals New Details in Tourist Melee at N.Y.C. Restaurant

Security camera footage reviewed by The New York Times shows three women, who were with several other people, being ushered into the restaurant after showing documentation near the entrance. Several minutes later, three men arrive to join the group, but only one of the three shows a vaccination card, lawyers for both sides said. A short time later, after the three women, who are Black, have joined the men outside, the fight breaks out.
In the Thursday statement, the police said the three women had struck the hostess, who has not been identified, "multiple times with closed fists." It also said that the hostess had sustained "bruises and scratches to her face, chest and arm." She is resting at home, a representative for the restaurant said.

The footage according to the newspaper that review it
The footage reviewed by The Times does not include sound, but it suggests tension was already brewing between the hostess and the patrons before the melee began.

In the footage, after the two men were denied entry, a server, wearing a white apron, comes out and talks to the hostess, making hand gestures as if explaining something. Then, footage shows the party of six leaving the restaurant. The hostess leans forward and says something, and the server pulls her back with her arms around her shoulder and gives it a tap, possibly to prevent her from engaging with them.
One of the women, Dr. Rankin, says something to the hostess, pointing a finger at her before getting into what appears to be a verbal dispute with other restaurant staff members, shaking her head. She and the others are led away by another employee, who is Black. Moments later, the party is led back inside the restaurant by its manager. The party crosses paths with the hostess who exits the restaurant.

Footage from inside the hallway shows the hostess brushing past the women as she exits, at which point the women appear to do a double take before pursuing her out the door. It is not clear what occurred in that moment or what might have motivated them to follow her.
Footage from outside the restaurant shows the hostess coming out. Seconds later, one of the patrons, who is wearing glasses, goes up to her from behind, speaks into her ear before shoving her and pulling at her collar. The hostess pushes back and claws back while others try to break them apart.

The melee moves off camera, and one of the attackers is hauled away by one of the servers and one of the men who wasn't allowed in, while staff pull the hostess away, trying to calm her down.
www.nytimes.com

Footage Reveals New Details in Tourist Melee at N.Y.C. Restaurant (Published 2021)

Three Black women from Texas were arrested, but a lawyer for one called it “mutual combat” after they were called a racial slur.

Oct 25, 2017

Of course this story was misreported. There's been a lot of that where certain people are concerned. You can tell she said something given their reactions. I'm sure this will get the same attention.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
twist-m-night-shamalan.gif

Of course the hostess from NYC would be racist...not surprised /s

Everybody that was clowning on Texas in this thread I now expect you to show the same treatment for New York City.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
So I am guessing they sat down and were vaxxed, the people showing up after the fact weren't all vaxxed and as a result everyone walked out but the hostess had to get one barb in and threw a slur and got mollywoppped.

Im laughing at how the Carmines manager was all selling the lie to the news too.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
Yikes. MAGA people weaponizing vaccine status (which a lot of them don't comply with) to screw over POC. There is no low to these folks.

OP
OP
acruztic

acruztic

Mar 10, 2020

lawandcrime.com

"They claim that the N-word is being spewed out."

Footage Reveals New Details in Tourist Melee at N.Y.C. Restaurant

The footage according to the newspaper that review it

www.nytimes.com

Footage Reveals New Details in Tourist Melee at N.Y.C. Restaurant (Published 2021)

Three Black women from Texas were arrested, but a lawyer for one called it “mutual combat” after they were called a racial slur.

How can I add this update to the front page of the thread and title edit ? should I just copy and paste or do I need a mod for assistance ?