• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
B-Dubs

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
If anyone has anything they want added to the OP please do PM me and I'll add it. I just ported over the old GAF OP real fast, we gotta spruce this one up a bit.

RedNalgene

Oct 25, 2017
LIC here. I know people like to claim LIC is "not really Queens" but they can suck it. After living in Manhattan for a decade I moved out to Queens and haven't looked back. Queens 4 Eva.

Gray Matter

Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
Just popping in to say hello. I lived in various places (mostly the Bronx) of NYC from 05-09, good times. I live in CT now and go to the city a few times a year for concerts, visit friends/family and of course the meet ups, which was very fun the one and only I went to. Met my Dominican brethren johan and some other cool peoples. I even played unintentional wingman for another member (you know who you are).

Hopefully there is another meet up and I am able to make it.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
I hope Johan makes it, need my Dominicans bros up in here.
I don't see anyone named Johan around here. Do you? By the way fun fact: Hero Prinny gets constantly mistaken for being Jewish when he is in fact Dominican. ;) There's two other brethren in this thread. I'll let you try to figure out who they are.
Are meetups still happening? I am interested in going.
They are but we're organizing them via the NYC Discord these days for now. These are small scale ones that happen sporadically; there was a small meet up last Thursday for a Marvel movie trivia night at a bar.

Although we did find out that there's an Italian place called Resette in Times Square so move over The Gaf because there's a new kid in town. I think if there were to be another big meet up, it would have to be either before Thanksgiving or in December before the holidays. We'll iron something out for these parts for sure; I have a beer book that still needs to be used so I'll be happy to return to Williamsburg soon.

Kisaya

Oct 25, 2017
So how does everyone feel about NYC, specifically Brooklyn and transplants moving in? I'm considering moving back for grad school, but I don't miss the vibes of feeling like a stranger in my own home...

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So how does everyone feel about NYC, specifically Brooklyn and transplants moving in? I'm considering moving back for grad school, but I don't miss the vibes of feeling like a stranger in my own home...
Which neighborhoods in particular? Some don't really feel change, while others are going through a rather dramatic shift.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Hey fellas. Just moved out of NYC for the first time in 6 years yesterday... I'm now in Westchester but still working in the city. Never thought I'd become a commuter, but I guess that's who I am now.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Come move to Astoria.

Brooklyn

Oct 25, 2017
BK
I moved to Crown Heights, BK in January of 16 from NJ. Wanted to try something different.
It has been great so far.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
As long as people aren't self-righteous about it and speak to their neighbors, they can move wherever they want to. I've dated far too many women that live in Brooklyn which seems to be the chic thing to do until they get priced out. I once went out with a girl who insisted on calling 6th avenue Avenue of the Americas but she didn't grow up in the city.

I like people to be aware of the changes happening around the neighborhood. It's not to say that I'm pro or anti-gentrification because it's a bit of a necessary evil in the end of the day. That being said, I feel a bit out of place every time I go to Williamsburg or DUMBO as someone who didn't grow up in Brooklyn. Almost every area in Brooklyn save for maybe East New York, Canarsie, and Brownsville have rapidly changed. When I was in Coney Island late summer for the first time in about years or so, the area around the boardwalk definitely changed.
I moved to Crown Heights, BK in January of 16 from NJ. Wanted to try something different.
It has been great so far.
It must be nice being near the Brooklyn Museum of Art and the Brooklyn Botanic Garden. It seemed like a decent area from the little time I spent there. The nearest Golden Krust for me is in East Harlem but that's a bit of a pain in the ass for me to get to. I heard a bunch of Aussie transplants live in Crown Heights.

Brooklyn

Oct 25, 2017
BK
As long as people aren't self-righteous about it and speak to their neighbors, they can move wherever they want to. I've dated far too many women that live in Brooklyn which seems to be the chic thing to do until they get priced out. I once went out with a girl who insisted on calling 6th avenue Avenue of the Americas but she didn't grow up in the city.

I like people to be aware of the changes happening around the neighborhood. It's not to say that I'm pro or anti-gentrification because it's a bit of a necessary evil in the end of the day. That being said, I feel a bit out of place every time I go to Williamsburg or DUMBO as someone who didn't grow up in Brooklyn. Almost every area in Brooklyn save for maybe East New York, Canarsie, and Brownsville have rapidly changed. When I was in Coney Island late summer for the first time in about years or so, the area around the boardwalk definitely changed.

It must be nice being near the Brooklyn Museum of Art and the Brooklyn Botanic Garden. It seemed like a decent area from the little time I spent there. The nearest Golden Krust for me is in East Harlem but that's a bit of a pain in the ass for me to get to. I heard a bunch of Aussie transplants live in Crown Heights.

It's a nice area! I'm close to the subway and there are great places to eat around here.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Well, today's my last day in NYC for a bit again. Other than the subway and MTA, NYC is still excellent.

SwiftSweeper

Oct 25, 2017
They are but we're organizing them via the NYC Discord these days for now. These are small scale ones that happen sporadically; there was a small meet up last Thursday for a Marvel movie trivia night at a bar.

Although we did find out that there's an Italian place called Resette in Times Square so move over The Gaf because there's a new kid in town. I think if there were to be another big meet up, it would have to be either before Thanksgiving or in December before the holidays. We'll iron something out for these parts for sure; I have a beer book that still needs to be used so I'll be happy to return to Williamsburg soon.

I would love the discord invite if possible, and I am always down to get some beer : )

milkham

Oct 25, 2017
Just hearing about this, It said he hit a schoolbus, when I was going to stuy, the only kids who got bussed in were special needs kids. This is terrible

Aceun

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Just checking in. Please stay safe tonight. Get home safely. Praying for the families of those affected.

I made it back to Jersey with no issues thank goodness.

OldLogos

Oct 27, 2017
Prospect Heights 4 year transplant checking in. Hope nobody here was affected by the attack yesterday

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We're planning a meetup in the next couple of weeks. Created a Doodle calendar for figuring out what weekend works best for people, link below.

If interested, check off your availability:
https://doodle.com/poll/z48wut8f8rvhug7f

Also haven't decided on plans yet but the idea of going to Two-Bit Retro Arcade and Katz's Deli was thrown around, though it's not concrete as we couldn't decide on a cool nickname for Colt 45 + Crazy Taxi + Turkey Sandwiches. So any suggestions for places to go (or a trendy nickname for the event) is welcome!

JwvNb00.jpg

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
I'm out in Suffolk but just want to say hello. Never got to go to a GAF meetup but they, it's time for a new era, right? Hope everybody was alright after the events the other day.

OldLogos

Oct 27, 2017
I moved here in march to live with my girlfriend of four years as she goes through grad school. I've had a really hard time adjusting to the city; I feel like there is sadness everywhere I go. I spend hours every day on the train because of my job, and it's really hard for me to not become incredibly fearful/depressed observing everyone who I pass. I can't articulate why very well. I think I have probably had untreated clinical depression for some time now. At different times in my life I've tried medications for anxiety but nothing has ever helped. The only good thing I have consistently experienced here is my girlfriend. Being able to finally share our lives together has been an unending source of brightness, and a constant reminder of who I am, who I can be, and what truly matters to me the most.

One of her friends from college was killed in the attack tuesday. His girlfriend was supposed to come to our Halloween party; as the night progressed and it became clear what had happened I felt numb like I have never before in my life. So much crying. Not me—I couldn't feel enough to cry. Just so much watching her cry. I never met him, and now I never will. Watching my girlfriend —literally the most grounded person I've ever known—tell me through tears that she didn't want me to leave the house yesterday has basically broken my ability to think clearly about anything. Today it's already a little better-she's already a little better, because that's how it works, right?

I know I haven't lived here very long, but I think I hate this place. I want to grow old and live my life with her and in this city I feel afraid of all life. I know how irrational it is to think this way; I know that this was an unreal, unimaginable tragedy. I know nothing is gonna happen to either one of us. But I'm really scared. I have to be strong for her and I'm not sure who else to confide in. I feel guilty and ashamed for even posting this; it's not about me at all. It happened to him, not me. I'm just really confused.

Hey man, I'm sorry for you and your girlfriend's loss. The attack was an absolute tragedy. You shouldn't feel guilty or ashamed for wanting to try and express your feelings on the matter - it's how we all heal and move on. I haven't been here that long, but I have felt many of the things you are feeling right now. This city can be one of the most impersonal, brutal and lonely places to live, especially when you've first moved here and are just getting your bearings. I was lucky enough to have lived in a city much bigger than NYC for many years, so big city life wasn't a huge change, but if it's your first time living in a city then there's definitely going to be an adjustment period.

I've got two pieces of advice that might help a bit. First off, get outside and explore. As much as it sounds like your girlfriend's words about fearing for your safety shook you, you've got to realize that the statistical chance of you dying in a terrorist attack are so much lower than just about any other way to die. Before Tuesday, we hadn't had a significant terrorist attack in the city since 9/11 and it's unlikely to happen again soon.

The other thing refers to you suggesting you might have undiagnosed depression. As someone who's dealt with clinical depression for a while now, the best thing to do is see a professional and get an assessment. If you've got insurance it should cover it. Mental illnesses are one of those things that people often let spiral out of control before they seek help, and by then it is much more difficult to manage their issues. I believe NYC is a hotbed for mental health issues because of the constant state of stress most people live in.

On a lighter note, NYC isn't for everyone, but I can promise you it'll get better if you try. There's just about anything you could ever want available to you here, you've just got to do the work to go out and find it. If you ever need somebody to talk to or grab a beer with, HMU.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I moved here in march to live with my girlfriend of four years as she goes through grad school. I've had a really hard time adjusting to the city; I feel like there is sadness everywhere I go. I spend hours every day on the train because of my job, and it's really hard for me to not become incredibly fearful/depressed observing everyone who I pass. I can't articulate why very well. I think I have probably had untreated clinical depression for some time now. At different times in my life I've tried medications for anxiety but nothing has ever helped. The only good thing I have consistently experienced here is my girlfriend. Being able to finally share our lives together has been an unending source of brightness, and a constant reminder of who I am, who I can be, and what truly matters to me the most.

One of her friends from college was killed in the attack tuesday. His girlfriend was supposed to come to our Halloween party; as the night progressed and it became clear what had happened I felt numb like I have never before in my life. So much crying. Not me—I couldn't feel enough to cry. Just so much watching her cry. I never met him, and now I never will. Watching my girlfriend —literally the most grounded person I've ever known—tell me through tears that she didn't want me to leave the house yesterday has basically broken my ability to think clearly about anything. Today it's already a little better-she's already a little better, because that's how it works, right?

I know I haven't lived here very long, but I think I hate this place. I want to grow old and live my life with her and in this city I feel afraid of all life. I know how irrational it is to think this way; I know that this was an unreal, unimaginable tragedy. I know nothing is gonna happen to either one of us. But I'm really scared. I have to be strong for her and I'm not sure who else to confide in. I feel guilty and ashamed for even posting this; it's not about me at all. It happened to him, not me. I'm just really confused.

I'm sorry that your circle was effected by the attack.

And I get it, NYC can be big, scary and lonely. Especially the subways during commute hours... and late at night. We're so use to just taking stock of ourselves and no one else that you can fill utterly alone in a city of millions of people.

I can offer little advice on how to feel better or improve your outlook of NYC, but perhaps could come to one of our meet-up. See other New Yorkers aren't too bad, and see a diff side of the city.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
BTW today is election day folks. Vote or die (lol). Although let's be honest: De Blasio is going to win by a landslide because Nicole Malliotakis is a moron and Leticia James is going to hold on to her Public Advocate position. The more divisive issues are the three propositions on the ballot that are arguably more important than electing local officials. I'm leaning towards voting No on proposition 1, yes on proposition 2, and yes on proposition 3.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Who's going to Anime NYC tho? Im going Friday
I need to buy tickets for Friday as well.

BTW today is election day folks. Vote or die (lol). Although let's be honest: De Blasio is going to win by a landslide because Nicole Malliotakis is a moron and Leticia James is going to hold on to her Public Advocate position. The more divisive issues are the three propositions on the ballot that are arguably more important than electing local officials. I'm leaning towards voting No on proposition 1, yes on proposition 2, and yes on proposition 3.
Voted today. Yea voted for Blasio.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Another term of De Blasio. I'm so glad I moved out of the city so I don't need to live under his regime and my tax money doesn't go to him. Dude does not have his priorities straight.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
De Blasio hasn't been a great mayor and lived up to his promises but anything is better than Malliotakis. Hopefully he addresses the weakness that his opponents grilled him on but otherwise, he's been okay.

I think having Cuomo as governor hasn't exactly been well for his administration along with Melissa Mark-Viverito stepping down as speaker next year due to term limits. I'm hoping there's no more blame game on MTA funding but that's probably not going to stop any time soon. It will be interesting to hear what he has to say on his weekly Ask The Mayor segment with Bryan Lehrer tomorrow when it resumes.

There's been speculation that the people next in line to run for mayor are Leticia James, Scott Stringer, and Ruben Diaz Jr.

I was torn on Prop 3 but ended up voting yes. I hope it was the right call in the long run even though it only affects people who live in the Catskills and Adirondack areas.

Machine Law

Oct 26, 2017
Hey guys, I'll hijack this thread to make a question, since all or most of you are New Yorkers. Does anyone here knows of a good place to take a TOEFL preparation course? I'm looking for a place that is both affordable and with good lessons.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is there anything particularly cool in the city to see/do this Friday? Heading into the city to meet with a friend that's never been to NYC.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Guys. It's friggin cold out.

My office is freezing, too. Heat won't stay on.