• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Loving the fall-like weather today. I'm in Washington Square Park seemingly trying to figure out what to do because I missed the screening yet again. I forgot how lively this park is.

I definitely need to get some something cheap-ish to eat around here if not elsewhere.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Well I finally did it: I went to the Bohemian Hall Beer Garden on a date. It was cool. It's not what I imagined to some degree like in GTA IV but it was still pretty damn cool. Ended up walking to some carnival along Ditmars and 33rd.

There's not much that I can do out here without spending money at a bar so I'm probably gonna head back home. I might walk south along Ditmars for a while until I find a Rite Aid or Duane Reade. I love the diversity out here and I'm seeing the chick again so I'll be back.

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bunch of us are going to Williamsburg this saturday at 6pm. Mainly the ever lovable Action Burger.

Well I finally did it: I went to the Bohemian Hall Beer Garden on a date. It was cool. It's not what I imagined to some degree like in GTA IV but it was still pretty damn cool. Ended up walking to some carnival along Ditmars and 33rd.
Hope you didn't get food...http://gothamist.com/2018/06/18/fathers_day_spit_burger.php

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Barcade might be a good bet afterward

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Bunch of us are going to Williamsburg this saturday at 6pm. Mainly the ever lovable Action Burger.

Hope you didn't get food...http://gothamist.com/2018/06/18/fathers_day_spit_burger.php
I did but I didn't get food with spit on it unlike that poor dad since it was a guy who came to my table. I would want to puke too upon seeing that receipt. Reading that article makes me not want to go back. I found it baffling that if you ordered from the bar, you had to use a separate bill for food which was odd.

Oct 27, 2017
Last night I did Sleep No More for the first time. Anyone else done it before? For those that don't know, it's basically an immersive theater experience where actors (silently) perform a re-imagining of Macbeth in a huge warehouse that's been converted into looking like a 1920's hotel that spreads over 4 floors. You go in and basically walk/run around and you can look through the various 'sets', read the notes left on tables, look through drawers. Then also follow the various actors as they go through their narratives. It's like that game Tacoma where characters will converge and split and you can decide who you want to follow.

It was... so cool. My SO and I went together but split up right at the beginning and when we got back together we spent over an hour talking about the different things we saw. There were characters and scenes that I never got a chance to see and vice versa.

The coolest moment is when I stumbled onto a rave sequence complete with pounding music, strobe lights, and laser effects. Sounds cheesy but it was super intense and all took place no more than 5 feet from me.

It's a bit expensive but it's totally worth it. For the money you get to be completely immersed in this world for 3+ hours.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017

Sure, I'll probably come.

Give us sad puppy dog eyes if you get caught talking to a crazy old lady that you don't want to.

fallengorn

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I've done Sleep No More three times. It's definitely worth it, especially fans of noir.

On my first go around, I was able to get a charm... which unfortunately triggered the same reaction as getting an achievement unlock. By the third time, I was able to min/max my visit.

Oct 27, 2017
I've done Sleep No More three times. It's definitely worth it, especially fans of noir.

On my first go around, I was able to get a charm... which unfortunately triggered the same reaction as getting an achievement unlock. By the third time, I was able to min/max my visit.

I spent most of my visit trying to follow the Agnes Naismith character. Trying is the key because I kept losing track. It's difficult for me because I'm a tall dude and can't nimble my through as easy as the small folks. There was a moment where I ALMOST got pulled away by her to the private room that some of the characters do. I was literally directly in front of her right before she went to select someone but I moved out of the way because I thought she would going to leave the room and I wanted to be polite. She picked the person right where I was standing. When I go to do it again I'll want to try and follow her story again to see it through because there's a point that I imagine was near the end of her story loop but I lost her and never managed to find her again.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Last night I did Sleep No More for the first time. Anyone else done it before? For those that don't know, it's basically an immersive theater experience where actors (silently) perform a re-imagining of Macbeth in a huge warehouse that's been converted into looking like a 1920's hotel that spreads over 4 floors. You go in and basically walk/run around and you can look through the various 'sets', read the notes left on tables, look through drawers. Then also follow the various actors as they go through their narratives. It's like that game Tacoma where characters will converge and split and you can decide who you want to follow.

It was... so cool. My SO and I went together but split up right at the beginning and when we got back together we spent over an hour talking about the different things we saw. There were characters and scenes that I never got a chance to see and vice versa.

The coolest moment is when I stumbled onto a rave sequence complete with pounding music, strobe lights, and laser effects. Sounds cheesy but it was super intense and all took place no more than 5 feet from me.

It's a bit expensive but it's totally worth it. For the money you get to be completely immersed in this world for 3+ hours.

6ish years ago it was a first date for my now wife and i

we were pretty drunk, but loved it

Blunoise

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I need some help on how much to save for a move in a year to Brooklyn. I will of course he living with roommates and start apply for jobs before than, I am in the IT field working in my aws cert. is 3k-5k and good amount to strive for ?

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
I need some help on how much to save for a move in a year to Brooklyn. I will of course he living with roommates and start apply for jobs before than, I am in the IT field working in my aws cert. is 3k-5k and good amount to strive for ?
With most of the regulars on Discord, I'll do my best to answer even though I live with family. If you live with 2-3 roommates, depending on where in Brooklyn you decide to live, 3K-5K should be fine since you'll be paying triple digits in rent. Maybe 6.5K-7.5K would be reasonable just to err on the safe side and keep in mind additional bills.There's plenty of IT jobs in the city so you be able to find a job easily as I went out with a woman who works in IT a few weeks ago.

Also should you decide to look into moving to Williamsburg, keep in mind that the L train will be shut down next for about a year.

Blunoise

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
With most of the regulars on Discord, I'll do my best to answer even though I live with family. If you live with 2-3 roommates, depending on where in Brooklyn you decide to live, 3K-5K should be fine since you'll be paying triple digits in rent. Maybe 6.5K-7.5K would be reasonable just to err on the safe side and keep in mind additional bills.There's plenty of IT jobs in the city so you be able to find a job easily as I went out with a woman who works in IT a few weeks ago.

Also should you decide to look into moving to Williamsburg, keep in mind that the L train will be shut down next for about a year.
Ah thanks for the update. Do you perhaps have that discord?

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
The pond/underpass area is quite charming. I haven't been to that area in a while but it's relaxing. I've been up to its edge in East Harlem a few times too. There's two baseball fields and has a different vibe from the rest of the park because it feels open. I'm going back down there on Friday for a date to learn how to a ride a bike.

I also didn't know this until last Saturday but Marcus Garvey Park has a rock where prostitutes like to get it on with their johns late at night. Apparently, people who live in the nearby luxury high rise that overlooks the park get a nice view of the action and have called 311 but not much has been done. The more you know lol.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Uhhh I really hope this storm doesn't fuck up my train situation today like the last big storm did. Sigh.

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
If it's next Tuesday after 5 in Hell's Kitchen, then I would be game since it works out well for me. Barring I don't have any revisions to make for an article that needs to be out by next Wednesday of course. Unless the bar has free Wi-Fi. I'm toting my laptop regardless and/or will throw myself into a Starbucks to bang it out.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it's next Tuesday after 5 in Hell's Kitchen, then I would be game since it works out well for me. Barring I don't have any revisions to make for an article that needs to be out by next Wednesday of course. Unless the bar has free Wi-Fi. I'm toting my laptop regardless and/or will throw myself into a Starbucks to bang it out.
Come back to the discord.

Also I been throwing out suggestions for the mets fan thing but ya'll...

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Come back to the discord.

Also I been throwing out suggestions for the mets fan thing but ya'll...
Next Tuesday is a bigger maybe for me now that I also have the option of going to volunteer at the William Vale hotel again for Rooftop Films. I also have the option of a date that night. Too many choices. All of them depend on getting the article done so we'll see what happens. I passed on a date last night to go volunteer and see Blindspotting. No regrets. The film was solid and the cast was pretty chill. They all looked pretty humble including Daveed Diggs. You'd expect them to be dressed formally but nope. Diggs was wearing a shirt that says Yay Area.

The vacation has been nice. My productivity shot up and I don't have to engage in meme humor among other things. Another month off will do me good.
Thank you. I was tempted to show it to her, but I just figured she'd tell me to delete it.
I feel like most people would be flattered to have their picture taken. Although I get where the sentiment comes from. Sometimes I feel like that when I sketch someone.

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like most people would be flattered to have their picture taken. Although I get where the sentiment comes from. Sometimes I feel like that when I sketch someone.
From my experience with street photography if they don't ask for their picture taken and they see you they either ask you to delete it or just act a little annoyed...then there's the few that get really confrontational. They usually do not ask to see it though, so I usually just keep it to myself.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
From my experience with street photography if they don't ask for their picture taken and they see you they either ask you to delete it or just act a little annoyed...then there's the few that get really confrontational. They usually do not ask to see it though, so I usually just keep it to myself.
That makes sense. Some things are best left unsaid unless you're the Humans of New York guy. But then again, I believe he asks people if they can share their story and takes a pic. I feel like if someone knows you're taking pictures of them, they're going to start posing which defeats the purpose of street photography: to catch things in the moment. I very much think the same way.

Oct 25, 2017
That makes sense. Some things are best left unsaid unless you're the Humans of New York guy. But then again, I believe he asks people if they can share their story and takes a pic. I feel like if someone knows you're taking pictures of them, they're going to start posing which defeats the purpose of street photography: to catch things in the moment. I very much think the same way.
Yeah I don't tell people shit, though some of their facial reactions are great.
D81_0718 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSCF7752 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
Probably my two favorite "what are you doing?" pics.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
So is this the thread to introduce ourselves in? I'm a bit ashamed since I work in Midtown for the past 5 years yet I barely know anything or anywhere outside the peripheral and I really should get around to rectifying that. Commuting from north NJ probably isn't helping

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
So is this the thread to introduce ourselves in? I'm a bit ashamed since I work in Midtown for the past 5 years yet I barely know anything or anywhere outside the peripheral and I really should get around to rectifying that. Commuting from north NJ probably isn't helping
More or less even though this thread is not really all that active thanks to Discord. This is the most active I've seen it in quite some time haha. In some communities such as the Comics thread, the monthly threads are super active whereas the Discord is not. Midtown is quite boring activity wise so I agree with trying to broaden your horizons. If you haven't been to Central Park at least once in your 5 years, you're doing it wrong. North Jersey you say? Fort Lee is outside of my window funny enough.

shazla

Oct 28, 2017
Heya ERA! I'll be back in town for a work trip end of August.. I've been several times for both shopping-mania, and sightseeing funsies. This time i'll be located in LES, and im looking for some local tips for hype restaurants, bars, and speak easy's. Any day time activities would be amazing (I've never walked High Line so thats on my list, nor have i been to Barcade so thats on there as well!)

Dont be afraid to offer hipster or pretentious places - I'm in East london every weekend so that is my jam!

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
More or less even though this thread is not really all that active thanks to Discord. This is the most active I've seen it in quite some time haha. In some communities such as the Comics thread, the monthly threads are super active whereas the Discord is not. Midtown is quite boring activity wise so I agree with trying to broaden your horizons. If you haven't been to Central Park at least once in your 5 years, you're doing it wrong. North Jersey you say? Fort Lee is outside of my window funny enough.

Funny enough, I'm doing a 5K with coworkers next week at central park with part of the reason being going to Central Park for the first time in who knows how long. In general I'm just trying to get an appreciation for this city and expand my "social horizons" as they say. It just sucks with my work hours being so crap. (Waking up at 4am tue thru Saturday and getting out at 4 in the afternoon aren't exactly great hours)

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Heya ERA! I'll be back in town for a work trip end of August.. I've been several times for both shopping-mania, and sightseeing funsies. This time i'll be located in LES, and im looking for some local tips for hype restaurants, bars, and speak easy's. Any day time activities would be amazing (I've never walked High Line so thats on my list, nor have i been to Barcade so thats on there as well!)

Dont be afraid to offer hipster or pretentious places - I'm in East london every weekend so that is my jam!

I wish I knew some to be honest. I go to the most boring places and usually cook at home, or eat at Chinese restaurants in Flushing.

Oct 25, 2017
Leaving New York to Find the American Dream in Philadelphia

Philadelphian here, and wanted some New Yorkers takes on this article. I found it pretty interesting. I have noticed a TON of New York plates in Philly lately, vastly more than usual, but I always chalked it up to living near Temple University and getting a lot of out of state students or something.

Anyway I'm a little torn. I think it's great the city is viewed well, but sad the secret is out and now my cost of living will go up.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
What is everyone's favorite bar/watering hole and restaurant in the city?
The correct answer is always Action Burger of course! ;)

I'm not a regular of any bars in the city but I quite like Valhalla in Hell's Kitchen. It's got big picnic style tables and a large beer selection in addition to good wings. I have lots of fond memories of meet ups from the old forum there. The only thing that sucks that their beers are pricey, their happy hour list of beers on tap are underwhelming, and it can get quite loud in there noise level wise.

In my neighborhood, there's a lot of bars/cafes that cater to more affluent people/yuppies but I'm partial to Bar 180. Their happy hour beers are solid, they have really good specials all week, and it's quite close. If I had to pick a bar that's far for me but reasonable by prices, Drop Off Service is pretty solid. I don't dine out a lot so I don't really have a favorite restaurant per say. I usually just get Chinese or pizza but if I'm out downtown it's relative to my budget and where I'm at.

If you want to live out the regular places that we hit up, Rockarolla, Action Burger, The Commodore (fried chicken and biscuits), and Union Pool that order should suffice. You can also stop by Barcade on the way to Union Pool since it's all in the same vicinity. I feel like we've listed a ton of places if you go back a few pages. If you're in the city on a Thursday, go to Chelsea after 6pm and go art gallery hopping as you munch on free snacks and wine. There's meetup.com group called Thursday Night Gallery or something like that.

As for speak easies, I've only been to Angel's Share which was solid. Please Don't Tell, Apotheke, and The Ship are solid ones as well. There's a ton of solid restaurants in the LES/Chinatown vicinity so you'll be fine. If you have a ton of money to blow, Peter Luger is arguably the best steakhouse in the city. Fette Sau is another solid option. I would also hit up 2 Bit's Retro Arcade. I heard good things about Peetee's Pie Company and Casa Adela (Puerto Rican food). Cafe Katja and Spicy Village are solid Chinatown haunts.
Funny enough, I'm doing a 5K with coworkers next week at central park with part of the reason being going to Central Park for the first time in who knows how long. In general I'm just trying to get an appreciation for this city and expand my "social horizons" as they say. It just sucks with my work hours being so crap. (Waking up at 4am tue thru Saturday and getting out at 4 in the afternoon aren't exactly great hours)
Ouch! That sounds awful man! You must be crazy tired by the time you come out of work. That's good that you're finally going up to Central Park but I can imagine that on your days off, the last thing you want to do is come into the city to blow money. You should try to come out to a meet up to broaden your horizons. Although being out in Jersey means that you can't stay out too late.
Leaving New York to Find the American Dream in Philadelphia

Philadelphian here, and wanted some New Yorkers takes on this article. I found it pretty interesting. I have noticed a TON of New York plates in Philly lately, vastly more than usual, but I always chalked it up to living near Temple University and getting a lot of out of state students or something.

Anyway I'm a little torn. I think it's great the city is viewed well, but sad the secret is out and now my cost of living will go up.
I want to go visit Philly but I missed the boat on applying to work Keystone Comic Con as Crew. Maybe in November for PAX Unplugged because I plan to apply to work it. That said, I heard it's a very friendly city for artists because studios are way more affordable. A lot of women I've gone out with who either went to Temple University or lived outside the city told me how great it is so I've been intrigued.

I might take a day trip out there before the summer ends on a whim to go the art museum. I haven't really considered living in any other states but out of all the cities I've been to so far, I liked Chicago a lot even though they get way harsher winters and their tap water is not good. I don't care about 95% of sports so the Eagles being the most recent sports team champs does nothing for me. I've only witnessed Philly through a few documentaries and of course movies but it seems quite charming and a lot easier to navigate than Boston.

It was an interesting article but it sounds like the rest of the Pennsylvania is what upstate NY is to NYC: red. As a native New Yorker, I live in a neighborhood that's increasingly gentrifying by the month which causes mom and pop businesses to close and are replaced by bars and cafes. This caters to people who will want to move to the area. A lot of storefronts along Broadway are closed.

Like the Vietnamese lady in the article, the cost of living is easily one reason to consider moving to Philly. But personally, I don't know of any friends or acquaintances who moved to Philly recently so I can't say. If people can't afford Brooklyn, they move to Queens and if they can't afford Queens, they'll move either to Riverdale in The Bronx, Hoboken, Jersey City, Edgewater, or Newark and commute. I think if there's some really good job opportunities out there, I would consider it. One of my old professors taught full time as a tenured professor at Hunter College but he and his family lived in Philly so he commuted to the city which is insane. I think he no longer teaches there and I lost contact with him.

Oct 25, 2017
The correct answer is always Action Burger of course! ;)

I want to go visit Philly but I missed the boat on applying to work Keystone Comic Con as Crew. Maybe in November for PAX Unplugged because I plan to apply to work it. That said, I heard it's a very friendly city for artists because studios are way more affordable. A lot of women I've gone out with who either went to Temple University or lived outside the city told me how great it is so I've been intrigued.

I might take a day trip out there before the summer ends on a whim to go the art museum. I haven't really considered living in any other states but out of all the cities I've been to so far, I liked Chicago a lot even though they get way harsher winters and their tap water is not good. I don't care about 95% of sports so the Eagles being the most recent sports team champs does nothing for me. I've only witnessed Philly through a few documentaries and of course movies but it seems quite charming and a lot easier to navigate than Boston.

It was an interesting article but it sounds like the rest of the Pennsylvania is what upstate NY is to NYC: red. As a native New Yorker, I live in a neighborhood that's increasingly gentrifying by the month which causes mom and pop businesses to close and are replaced by bars and cafes. This caters to people who will want to move to the area. A lot of storefronts along Broadway are closed.

Like the Vietnamese lady in the article, the cost of living is easily one reason to consider moving to Philly. But personally, I don't know of any friends or acquaintances who moved to Philly recently so I can't say. If people can't afford Brooklyn, they move to Queens and if they can't afford Queens, they'll move either to Riverdale in The Bronx, Hoboken, Jersey City, Edgewater, or Newark and commute. I think if there's some really good job opportunities out there, I would consider it. One of my old professors taught full time as a tenured professor at Hunter College but he and his family lived in Philly so he commuted to the city which is insane. I think he no longer teaches there and I lost contact with him.

It sounds insane to commute, but from CC Philly to NYC is one 1h45min train trip to Manhattan. There are parts of Queens that probably take well over an hour to get there by transit I imagine. My wife's cousin lives in Flushing and works at NYU and she said it takes her over an hour. What's an extra half hour commute if it reduces your housing prices by 50%?

You should come visit though. It's a pretty easy day trip. I go up to NYC every now and then and it's so easy with Amtrak. AirBNB is dirt cheap in Philly too.