• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
It sounds insane to commute, but from CC Philly to NYC is one 1h45min train trip to Manhattan. There are parts of Queens that probably take well over an hour to get there by transit I imagine. My wife's cousin lives in Flushing and works at NYU and she said it takes her over an hour. What's an extra half hour commute if it reduces your housing prices by 50%?

You should come visit though. It's a pretty easy day trip. I go up to NYC every now and then and it's so easy with Amtrak. AirBNB is dirt cheap in Philly too.
That's not that bad to be honest. Yeah, it is comparable to commuting to Flushing or Coney Island time wise. Philly is closer to NY than Boston is as Boston is a 3-4 hour bus ride depending on traffic. And funny enough, I'm hearing Matt Katz's report on All Things Considered right now as I type this. He's going into more in depth on the reason why ex-New Yorkers moved to Philly: good pizza and bagels.

I'll see if I can convince my best friend to take a weekend off from work to go with him. He's been to Philly to see a Pokemon concert. Otherwise, I'll go alone and get the obligatory Philly cheese steak and local beer. Got too many events going on here in the city to volunteer at. My best friend lives in College Point and goes to college in Hell's Kitchen. It's quite a trek but he gets it done.

I think one thing I would miss from moving out of NY is volunteering for West Village Halloween Parade. Every year about a few weeks before the parade, volunteers get to go to Rhinebeck, NY to make the puppets for the yearly theme. The organizers of the Halloween Parade live in a massive property that was passed down through many generations. It's quite an amazing experience so I wonder if Philly has something equivalent to that.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh let's meet at drop off service on the 28th. 3 dollar beer till 8.

Oct 25, 2017
I think one thing I would miss from moving out of NY is volunteering for West Village Halloween Parade. Every year about a few weeks before the parade, volunteers get to go to Rhinebeck, NY to make the puppets for the yearly theme. The organizers of the Halloween Parade live in a massive property that was passed down through many generations. It's quite an amazing experience so I wonder if Philly has something equivalent to that.

Have you heard of the Mummers Parade? It's something else and all volunteer based.

Anyway yeah our pizza and bagels are good. All our food is good. New chefs can take risks here.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Have you heard of the Mummers Parade? It's something else and all volunteer based.

Anyway yeah our pizza and bagels are good. All our food is good. New chefs can take risks here.
Nah, never heard of it but that sounds great! Will need to Google it. One thing I take great joy with here in NYC is volunteering at various events around the city such as Rooftop Films and MoCCA Fest among other events. The only thing is that there's nothing else like the MTA out there. Chicago is 22/7 so it comes close but that's it.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Guess didn't post in here

Believe some of us are meeting up tomorrow (7/28) at Drop Off Service at 6pm to bid farewell to one of our own.

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guess didn't post in here

Believe some of us are meeting up tomorrow (7/28) at Drop Off Service at 6pm to bid farewell to one of our own.
PIQjegG.png

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
I might just be there. I have a date after 10pm down at Broome Street so I need to pre-game beforehand for a while. It's a Boogaloo A Go-Go dance party that runs until 3AM so you guessed it--I'll be burning lots of calories. No cover charge either in case anyone is interested in stalking me but I digress.

I'm not sure what time and where I'm meeting up with the chick at until the morning. I'm going to have to postpone plans with a younger chick.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Oh the irony! The guy it was dedicated to didn't show up. All the best to Metsfan out west in any case. Now he can change his name to LADodgersfan. ;)

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Screw buying tickets. They still need volunteers! :p As you can probably guess, I'm volunteering there yet again for year 2. I was supposed to volunteer at the Dominican Day Parade but one of the organizers never sent me the date for the training. Sadlly, this weekend is going to be a wash out so bust out the umbrellas and boots. Breakdown is definitely going to be fun and challenging.

During last year's Play NYC there was a heat wave because it was humid as sin. The venue was terrible because it was claustrophobic. Also fun fact: volunteers were supposed to get Play NYC logo shirts but the shipment got lost so the last minute ditch was to have volunteer wear plain black tees and different colored bandannas to separate areas. See pics from last year's inaugural year here. I may or may not be in a group pic with Info balloons over it: https://www.flickr.com/photos/154655602@N02/sets/72157684984623652/

Oct 28, 2017
Just made a thread about this, but thought I'd post here too. I'm hoping you guys might be able to give me some advice!

The wife and I are planning a trip to NYC later this year. We'll be there probably on a Sunday through Wednesday and we want to maximize our time there. I visited as a kid but haven't been there in well over a decade and there's such a massive amount of things to do that it's all a bit daunting. I'm hoping some of you might have some advice. Here's what we're thinking about right now:

1. Broadway - We definitely want to do this, probably for multiple shows. Is it a good idea to order tickets in advance and where can we find reasonably-priced tickets? For instance, we might want to try to see Hamilton and I'll pay whatever's necessary, but on the few sites I checked the worst seats available were $400/ticket which seems perhaps a bit high (then again, I've no idea).

2. Museums - I love museums and I've gotta assume NYC has some great ones. We don't want to do any art museums but are there any recommendations for history/science museums?

3. Anything else? Not really sure what there is honestly, other than the obvious stuff like Statute of Liberty, Empire State Building, etc. Any recommendations, both common and uncommon?

4. Where to stay? I think we want to stay in Manhattan, but aren't sure where we should stay there. Are there neighborhoods to avoid or are all of them generally pretty good?

Would really appreciate any feedback.

Penguin

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Just made a thread about this, but thought I'd post here too. I'm hoping you guys might be able to give me some advice!

The wife and I are planning a trip to NYC later this year. We'll be there probably on a Sunday through Wednesday and we want to maximize our time there. I visited as a kid but haven't been there in well over a decade and there's such a massive amount of things to do that it's all a bit daunting. I'm hoping some of you might have some advice. Here's what we're thinking about right now:

1. Broadway - We definitely want to do this, probably for multiple shows. Is it a good idea to order tickets in advance and where can we find reasonably-priced tickets? For instance, we might want to try to see Hamilton and I'll pay whatever's necessary, but on the few sites I checked the worst seats available were $400/ticket which seems perhaps a bit high (then again, I've no idea).

2. Museums - I love museums and I've gotta assume NYC has some great ones. We don't want to do any art museums but are there any recommendations for history/science museums?

3. Anything else? Not really sure what there is honestly, other than the obvious stuff like Statute of Liberty, Empire State Building, etc. Any recommendations, both common and uncommon?

4. Where to stay? I think we want to stay in Manhattan, but aren't sure where we should stay there. Are there neighborhoods to avoid or are all of them generally pretty good?

Would really appreciate any feedback.

1. I know most people here swear by TodayTix, I would say try to do rush, but not worth it to waste precious vacation time lining up for the hopes of scoring cheap ticket.

2. We have the Museum of Natural History, which is in the middle of Central Park so can have a two-fer there. Personally if you make it across to Brooklyn I love the Transit Museum.

3. Well what are you and your wife into, makes it easier to offer up suggestions for like places to eat and drink.

Oct 28, 2017
1. I know most people here swear by TodayTix, I would say try to do rush, but not worth it to waste precious vacation time lining up for the hopes of scoring cheap ticket.

2. We have the Museum of Natural History, which is in the middle of Central Park so can have a two-fer there. Personally if you make it across to Brooklyn I love the Transit Museum.

3. Well what are you and your wife into, makes it easier to offer up suggestions for like places to eat and drink.

I think we mainly just want to see some cool stuff that makes NYC unique. It'll be December so I know she wants to see the big Christmas tree. Any other holiday-themed suggestions you might have? She'll love that.

As far as food, we don't need to do fine dining (but could if it seemed worth it). I'm personally interested in trying out local places that might be fantastic. I haven't had NY-style Italian and I'd definitely like to do that. Other styles of food are fine too of course.

fallengorn

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
As far as food, we don't need to do fine dining (but could if it seemed worth it). I'm personally interested in trying out local places that might be fantastic. I haven't had NY-style Italian and I'd definitely like to do that. Other styles of food are fine too of course.
You're really going to have to be more specific on what to eat... there's a ton of options.

Just off of Italian, I'd recommend Maialino, Frankie's Spuntio, Cacio e Pepe, Momofuku Nishi, Sola Pasta Bar...

fallengorn

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Not sure what you mean by homestyle places? If you mean "not fancy," you're still talking about a large field of options. If you mean "family style", that's just hard to nail down.

The easiest way to recommend places would be by location or by cuisine-types. If you're going to see the tree, then there's a few places around Rockefeller Center I'd recommend.

Urbanspace Vanderbilt: It's a food hall that's a few blocks away. There's a lot of options, including Roberta's, one of the best neapolitan pizza places.

Benoit: French spot. I think they have a prix fixe lunch special.

Margon: Cuban lunch spot. It's a good greasy spoon place.

Le Relais de Venise: Another French spot, but there's only one option on the menu, a salad course followed by steak. It's good though.

Oct 28, 2017
Not sure what you mean by homestyle places? If you mean "not fancy," you're still talking about a large field of options. If you mean "family style", that's just hard to nail down.

The easiest way to recommend places would be by location or by cuisine-types. If you're going to see the tree, then there's a few places around Rockefeller Center I'd recommend.

Urbanspace Vanderbilt: It's a food hall that's a few blocks away. There's a lot of options, including Roberta's, one of the best neapolitan pizza places.

Benoit: French spot. I think they have a prix fixe lunch special.

Margon: Cuban lunch spot. It's a good greasy spoon place.

Le Relais de Venise: Another French spot, but there's only one option on the menu, a salad course followed by steak. It's good though.

I mean not fancy, but hearty place. The type of place you'd expect an old Italian woman cooking family recipes to work at.

Margon looks fantastic. Will very possibly go there.

We'll definitely go see the tree. Probably do Broadway multiple times. Other than that I'm not sure. I might hit you up once we have a tighter schedule.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
For anyone heading to Play NYC this weekend, here's a link that might be useful to have on your phone:
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
And hidden.

Last edited:

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
There's going to be a few tabletop games downstairs in the cellar. Otherwise, the emphasis is on video games. There were quite a few table top games here and there last year.

Amirnol

Oct 27, 2017
I'm moving to NY in a couple months for work. My workplace is actually in CT, right on the state border near White Plains. My employer recommended living in White Plains but I've been there and it kind of sucks. I want to live closer to the city if I can. So my questions are:

1) How bad is White Plains, really?

2) Any recommendations for areas to live near the city that wouldn't be an insane commute?

3) Are there any cool places to live in CT?

Thanks!

OP
OP
B-Dubs

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Anything closer is going to be a mad annoying commute. I used to have an editor that commuted in from CT and it was like an hour and a half on the train. There's only so many roads going into and out of CT, so at peak commute times the traffic can be horrific.

I'm guessing you're going to be working in Greenwich? If so something near a Metro-North stop, or within easy access of Grand Central, would probably be your best bet.

It's gonna depend on exactly where you wanna work though. That said, you could easily come into the city on the weekend from White Plains.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
I'm moving to NY in a couple months for work. My workplace is actually in CT, right on the state border near White Plains. My employer recommended living in White Plains but I've been there and it kind of sucks. I want to live closer to the city if I can. So my questions are:

1) How bad is White Plains, really?

2) Any recommendations for areas to live near the city that wouldn't be an insane commute?

3) Are there any cool places to live in CT?

Thanks!
I've never been to White Plains but have gotten women that live up on dating apps. Most of them have cars to come into the city. It's not dangerous but it is quite boring (I asked my brother since he used to date a girl who lived out there). Especially if you're the type that wants to be somewhere with something of an active night life scene.

2)Maybe Riverdale so you're closer to the CT border but you would have to take the Metro North to and from work which adds up quickly.

3)I would say to gun for a college town like where Yale is since it probably has a more active night life than a small CT town. I've only been to a handful of places including Norwalk over 10 years ago (it was nice but quiet) but ReedPOP (own Eurogamer and run many cons including NYCC and the PAX cons) and Coors are there. Been to New Britain and Danbury and they're quite boring; Stamford a few times for a paid taping of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire.

CrocM

Oct 25, 2017
If the Metro North goes to White Plains, I would just take the train from the city. Many people commute from NY to Connecticut/Westchester. It's better to commute to work and live where your friends are, from my experience than the other way around. And it's way easier to meet and hang out with people in the city than White Plains. My two cents.

Amirnol

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the responses, everyone. I appreciate all the advise I can get!

Is Google maps a good way to plan transit in NYC or is there a better app/website for the metro?

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Double posting, but just want to plug J & L Game (https://twitter.com/jnlgame) in midtown because they often have new games early. Got Yakuza Kiwami 2 five days early and they the new Switch MH game the same day. That said, sometimes they get games a bit later but it looks like that happens with smaller releases.

They also carry a lot of rare/used games but I'm sure they've overpriced compared to online marketplaces.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Double posting, but just want to plug J & L Game (https://twitter.com/jnlgame) in midtown because they often have new games early. Got Yakuza Kiwami 2 five days early and they the new Switch MH game the same day. That said, sometimes they get games a bit later but it looks like that happens with smaller releases.

They also carry a lot of rare/used games but I'm sure they've overpriced compared to online marketplaces.

Hmm, will definitely take a look one of these days.

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
does Red Rooster live up to the hype? going on monday cuz the brother in law is in town...

Red Rooster was very good. Opt out for the cornbread for $6 though, too small of a loaf.

Anyone want to come with for a special showing of Perfect Blue on 9/6 at 7:00 PM at AMC Kips Bay?

Got an EX ticket. Lmk!

Marvie

Oct 25, 2017

Ive gotten games early from them too.

Most of their stuff is MASSIVELY overpriced though.

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Ive gotten games early from them too.

Most of their stuff is MASSIVELY overpriced though.

Overpriced but they have gems there, and great imports. They also come in clutch for discontinued stuff.

I feel like eventually they will close up shop, but I hope not. These are the gaming shops I half-grew up on.

Penguin

Oct 25, 2017
New York
For future brainstorming and stuff

What are some areas of NYC folks would like to explore?
Bars/environments that are roomy for a big crowd?
Any non-drinking activities you want to partake in?
Would anyone be interested in stuff like a Game Night or movie Day?

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Do they still charge 10 bucks more for early releases? I remember getting Brawl early and they charged me 60. Same with SC4.

OP
OP
B-Dubs

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
For future brainstorming and stuff

What are some areas of NYC folks would like to explore?
Bars/environments that are roomy for a big crowd?
Any non-drinking activities you want to partake in?
Would anyone be interested in stuff like a Game Night or movie Day?
We have talked about stuff like DnD and we have done movies before. For games it's a matter for space and time I think.