• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
For future brainstorming and stuff

What are some areas of NYC folks would like to explore?
Bars/environments that are roomy for a big crowd?
Any non-drinking activities you want to partake in?
Would anyone be interested in stuff like a Game Night or movie Day?

I'm definitely up for Game Night and movie day. We can do board games and... VIDEO GAMES!

No nerd shit and NO NOT DRINKING

I no know drinking.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Oh please you're already a nerd for posting on this forum by default. DnD is the least nerdy thing one can do. Especially given how popular actual play podcasts such as The Adventure Zone have become.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
What's a video game?

You play it with these controllers.

j1zohbT.jpg

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was looking around craigslist for gigs on a whim. Found a post that said Sci-Fi/Comic Bar in Williamsburg Looking for a part time/full time cashier with bartending experience:

https://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/fbh/d/part-full-time-cashier-with/6678482365.html

It's Action Burger
Will be sad if no one from Era applies.

Reading restaurant's sci-fi books required for job.

You play it with these controllers.
8jJ4koe.png

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Apply. Also get back on the discard
What's Discord again? Ain't nobody got the time for that. I quite like being without it. Been having problems logging into it here from my phone. :p

I'm more worried what kind of booze, snacks and trinkets to bring back to the states when I start shopping for it in a few more days. Mac Albert, Brugal, and Columbus are some of the candidates.

I'm going to miss drinking booze out in the open without cops blinking an eye to it. Last night we were drinking Duggards Whiskey (cheap versión of Buchanan) with soda and apple juice at the the park (town Square basically) and a cop truck cruised around the block. I think I'm going to come back with a higher alcohol tolerance which is good and bad.

Dating apps are a pain in the ass here since girls live in bigger cities like Santiago and Santo Domingo. Can't adjust the search distance on Bumble. To meet local girls here you have to know peeps or else you'll get a bottle smashed in the face.:(

On topic: Read that an Alamo Drafthouse is finally coming to Manhattan on Gothamist except that's going to be in Lower Manhattan.

OP
OP
B-Dubs

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
The look that guy was giving you LOL

less

Oct 25, 2017
So I recently started working in NYC and as such I'm spending more time here than I ever did before. Before this the only time I spent any amount of time in NYC was when I came in to watch some films at with IFC or Lincoln Square 13. So far, I'm really enjoying working in NYC. Just being among the giant mass of people going to and from work each day is a wildly different experience than what I'm used to.

I've also recently been told that Subway is not good and that I should try some of the local non-chain stores in NYC. Anyone mind suggesting some good places for vegetarian food that I could to go for lunch? Looking for locations near Battery Park.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
^^^ Not sure about vegetarian options around Battery Park since everything around there is going to be overpriced.

Whoever said JFK was a terrible airport must be smoking. Then again, I don't travel a lot. Barely in fact. The experience was pleasant coming out. I have to say that even though I don't miss the US, I do miss the taste of NYC tap water. Tap water in the DR is mostly unsafe to drink. We had to drink filtered bottled water.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a good salad in the city under $12? I'm done with Fresh n Co and as delicious as it is, Sweetgreen has been decimating my wallet recently.

h8bit

Oct 26, 2017
Brooklyn, NY

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
i've never been here but it sounds interesting! might need to check it out this weekend or next.
Another convert! By the time you come out of there, you'll fall in love with Bio Sapien, whiskey shots, boozy milkshakes, and their classy Toragon burger. The menu sits on my desk as I type this very post funny enough. Have fun playing Duck Hunt and Mario Party 5 or whatever else they have that day.

Anbec

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Is this the right thread to ask for tips?
For some odd chance me and friend managed to get some tickets to travel an one of the places we wanted to visit is NY!
The thing is due to dates we're looking for some cheap AirBnBs, staying on Queens is a good option?

What are some places we can visit and not look like complete tourists?
Also cheap but good food trucks or something like that?
Anything else we need to be careful or something? I know it's a really quick city and if there is some kind of etiquette or something to not annoy the locals since everything I'm seeing is that everybody runs a lot!

Thank you

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Is this the right thread to ask for tips?
For some odd chance me and friend managed to get some tickets to travel an one of the places we wanted to visit is NY!
The thing is due to dates we're looking for some cheap AirBnBs, staying on Queens is a good option?

What are some places we can visit and not look like complete tourists?
Also cheap but good food trucks or something like that?
Anything else we need to be careful or something? I know it's a really quick city and if there is some kind of etiquette or something to not annoy the locals since everything I'm seeing is that everybody runs a lot!

Thank you
Queens is fine and doable. I've met acquaintances who stayed in Astoria on AirBnB. They liked it.

Since you're looking into Queens, I would say check out the Queens Museum of Art since not a lot of tourists if any venture so far out. There's a ton of good breweries out there too such as Singlecut. Loads of food trucks can be found along Steinway Street too. I suppose Halal Guys would be quintessential to get if you don't have something similar where you're from. The Circle Line is also a hidden gem as the weather starts to cool down into the fall season. The 59th street bridge (Ed Koch Queensboro Bridge) is fun to cross to and from Manhattan as hardly any tourists cross it; The Asian Society and El Museo del Barrio are cool haunts as is The Cloisters. The High Line is also more manageable around this time.

I feel like we get the same questions again and again but really, it's okay to do touristy things and be a tourist. I do that all the time when I'm away in a place I don't know. I would say to ignore and say no to CD hawkers and mascots if you plan to go to Times Square. Having just got back from abroad, I can totally see why the rude New Yorker stereotype since people walk by without saying excuse me. Americans take a ton of things for granted IMHO and damn near everything is a commodity/service that you have to pay for.

I would say to never count your money in public places at all; use Google Maps/CityMapper if you want to blend in but subway maps are useful and make a good souvenir. Otherwise, it's mostly a safe city for the most part. Don't be afraid to ask for directions if you're lost or looking around and use common sense.

Oct 25, 2017
I never got the idea of "not being a tourist". As long as you aren't doing anything like stopping randomly, holding up escalators and blocking transit, go wild. There's tons of cool stuff to see.

Only rule I've ever tried to stick to when traveling to touristy places is avoid lines wherever possible. Especially in a big city there's always something else you could be doing that's probably just as cool.

---

I didn't realize until today that they were trying to build a Brooklyn-Queens light rail line. What a joke.

Oct 27, 2017
There's nothing wrong with Action Burger. :hahaa:
I went there this past weekend, but it was just televisions with SNES everywhere. Is that what it technically is, with food? I heard it was like an arcade and was surprised. (I know I could google this, sorry.)

I sat down and played 200 cc in Mario Kart, which was rad.

And is it really the hangout spot for NYC ERA ppl??!

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I went there this past weekend, but it was just televisions with SNES everywhere. Is that what it technically is, with food? I heard it was like an arcade and was surprised. (I know I could google this, sorry.)

I sat down and played 200 cc in Mario Kart, which was rad.

And is it really the hangout spot for NYC ERA ppl??!
Ironically and usually not sober but yes.

OP
OP
B-Dubs

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
You guys are gonna get us banned from this place, though I'm not sure how that's a negative.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Feels nice and cool today. Only a matter of time I can start wearing sweaters and light jackets.

Thank you very much, this really helps a lot!

Most important thing to remember is that when walking on the street, stay on the right and don't stop suddenly. Same thing in escalators. Left side if you want to walk up the escalator, right side if you want to stand and wait. Also, it's usually not a good idea to stand in front of the subway doors since people are constantly walking in and out.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
You guys are gonna get us banned from this place, though I'm not sure how that's a negative.
I mean it helps that Action Burger has RE's dark theme colors haha. As long as we go when the Asian lady who remembers our faces is working, she'll hook us up. They'll be happy to know that a bunch of peeps from a gaming forum keep generating business for them.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
It's the final weekend of Photoville in DUMBO. It's an easy excuse for a date, free, and best of all, you the nice views of Brooklyn Bridge Park. I was just down there last night looking at a few exhibits and talking to a bunch of friends that were volunteering. I haven't seen all of them but I liked quite a few exhibits including one on both sides of the US-Mexico border in Arizona, California, and New Mexico; rethinking cat pics; one about mortality as two different people received cancer treatments in the city; and masculinity. I also dug the journalism award series pics.

I highly recommend going to check it out. I might sign up to volunteer tonight and I'm slated to volunteer tomorrow. The only thing I find somewhat off-putting about it for a public event is that it has a slight air of pretentiousness as people with large format camera are everywhere. Otherwise, it's cool. Beers are overpriced at $8 BTW but you can go to Dekalb Market, buy a 6 pack of beer from Trader Joe's and don't worry about it.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Sorry for the DP but next Sunday is the Annual Fort Tryon Park Medieval Festival. If anyone wants an excuse to go to The Heights for an easy date, hang out with friends, or wants to see The Cloisters for free, there you go.

I'm planning on going but IMHO, it's usually the same thing every year. Still, it's a wonderful way to celebrate the fall season and get some nice views of Northern Manhattan and The Palisades.
I like to sketch people there personally but I can't do that on a date. :(