• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Lately I've been taking the local train instead of the express for my daily commute. It's almost three times as many stops but only fifteen to twenty minutes slower (sometimes the same amount of time, somehow). The benefit is that I always get a seat and the train is not crowded at all. It's very comfortable.

Hello all wow I am so excited to have found this thread! I am from NYC as well and absolutely love it here! It's great to be apart of it all! How is everyone l? Are there any good events coming up anytime soon? Have an incredible weekend everyone enjoy and be safe,

Eddie

I love pickles lol! My only day off as well? Okay I am going it's finny I'm meeting my buddy Don at Pennstation that day to go to Dr Jekyll And Mr Hyde's bar for the evening! Thank you kindly for the great share I'll certainly be there if you go message me I'll see you there and you are more then welcome to come later for a few drinks and some amazing food they have there m! Cheers have an incredible weekend.

Oct 27, 2017
My SO and I are going to Sleep No More again this month for our anniversary. Which is weird when we thought about it considering it's a singular experience....

Super looking forward to experiencing it a second time. I really hope that one actress that played Agnes Naismith is still there. I tried like heck to follow her storyline.

Oct 27, 2017
Cool. Her one-on-one is one of the more unique ones.

Ugh. I was literally moments away from getting it too. When I was following her storyline she went into a room across from the textile shop and there was a moment where I thought she would turn around and leave, so I instinctively moved out of her way. Instead she turned and grabbed the arm of the guy that happened to be right behind me and took him into the next room. If I had just stayed still I fully believe I would have been picked.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Hello all wow I am so excited to have found this thread! I am from NYC as well and absolutely love it here! It's great to be apart of it all! How is everyone l? Are there any good events coming up anytime soon? Have an incredible weekend everyone enjoy and be safe,

Eddie
This weekend you got the NY Food and Wine Festival that's sponsored by Food Network (expect lots of Food Network stars). Next week there's the Architecture and Design Film Festival at Cinepolis on 23rd between 7th and 8th; the NY Craft Beer Festival at Metropolitan West next weekend, the Food Film Festival which starts in two Thursdays, and a bunch of other events. Next month there's Doc NYC, the largest documentary film festival in the U.S. in 3 venues. I volunteer at a TON of events around the city when I'm not getting paid to them which is how I know all of this.

A few guys including Kanik and smokeymicpot are meeting up at Drop Off Service at 1pm tomorrow to watch the Rangers game if that's something that interests you.

Oh man! Pickles are my jam! I LOVE pickles. I wish I could volunteer for this but I believe I have another engagement that day and an article to write.

dabbert

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
man i sure love biting down on a crisp and refeshing pickle and feel it brea koff in my mouth and the juices running down my chin into my massive beard

h

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
man i sure love biting down on a crisp and refeshing pickle and feel it brea koff in my mouth and the juices running down my chin into my massive beard

h
EF3-DAAD2-607-B-483-D-B08-A-D22-D4-F6-F4230.jpg

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have a recommendation for a home cleaning service? I used Handy before and they were alright but pretty expensive. Anything else thats good but cheaper?

meow

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Anyone have a recommendation for a home cleaning service? I used Handy before and they were alright but pretty expensive. Anything else thats good but cheaper?
How much is Handy? My friend asked around work for recs because she specifically didn't trust Handy (and then I got the info from her after she vetted them) so you might try that because your coworkers might know good options around your area (plus I like the idea of having just the same person consistently, though I assume (but don't know if) you can do the same for a cleaning service).

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Pour one out for Videology who's closing its doors for good in two weeks: http://gothamist.com/2018/10/16/williamsburgs_videology_closing.php

Videology still has two weeks of events planned before it exits stage left—that includes their regular Movie Trivia night the next two Tuesdays, and lots of Halloween-themed events like Stranger Things bingo, a Sweeney Todd singalong, a Beetlejuice drinking game, a live scoring of 1922 vampire horror film classic Nosferatu, and a Simpsons "Treehouse Of Horror" bingo night. The last scheduled events as of now include a screening of Hocus Pocus on Friday Oct. 26th, and a Suspiria party/series of screenings all day on Saturday Oct. 27th.

Videology co-owner James Leet told Gothamist that the closure has nothing to do with the business or rising rents or anything like that—he and his partner Chamberlain were just ready to move on.

"Basically, it's what we said in our post on Facebook this morning," he said. "My partner and I feel we've had a strong 15 year run, we've had overwhelming support from Williamsburg and the greater NYC, and we really appreciate and feel very lucky about that. We've had a lot of people who are very loyal, who have a strong passion for film, and who have reached out to us and become our friends. We feel very lucky about that. It just feels like it's the right time to pursue other opportunities."

More in the link above. By the way, the L train service is going to be horrible for the next few months (has been the last few weekends). There will be regular service on Halloween and November 20-23 but that's it There's going to be shuttle buses between Brooklyn and Manhattan (M14 crosstown). In addition to the bus, the only other alternative coming from Manhattan is to take the E to Court Square then transfer to the G. I'm not looking forward to doing that tomorrow since I need to go to Williamsburg for an event. =/

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
How much is Handy? My friend asked around work for recs because she specifically didn't trust Handy (and then I got the info from her after she vetted them) so you might try that because your coworkers might know good options around your area (plus I like the idea of having just the same person consistently, though I assume (but don't know if) you can do the same for a cleaning service).

I get a quote for around $90 per cleaning if I sign up for monthly cleanings for 6 months. Thumbtack gives me similar quotes but often 10-15 bucks cheaper.

I used Handy once before and the cleaner was good but nothing special. $90 seems excessive but I also cant seem to find any local help either. I checked out some other services like Maid Marines, Maid Sailors, Planet Maids, etc and theyre even more expensive.

I'd love to hire someone regularly. I'm thinking of resorting to Craigslist but I'm not too confident about that lol

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pour one out for Videology who's closing its doors for good in two weeks: http://gothamist.com/2018/10/16/williamsburgs_videology_closing.php

More in the link above. By the way, the L train service is going to be horrible for the next few months (has been the last few weekends). There will be regular service on Halloween and November 20-23 but that's it There's going to be shuttle buses between Brooklyn and Manhattan (M14 crosstown). In addition to the bus, the only other alternative coming from Manhattan is to take the E to Court Square then transfer to the G. I'm not looking forward to doing that tomorrow since I need to go to Williamsburg for an event. =/

Damn that's crazy, I love that place.

How do you have apartments large enough to merit hiring cleaners haha?

I was gonna say lol. Ballin.

meow

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I personally didn't use the cleaner for general apartment cleaning but for deep cleaning our kitchen and bathroom. The others I know who do use cleaners for general cleaning live in 1 BRs or studios; it still takes 3-4 hours. (not huge places; the studio I'm thinking of is like 550 or 575 sqft or something, for example). Everyone I know works too much to bother with cleaning their own apartments haha. As a once per month expense, it's not bad at all.

I get a quote for around $90 per cleaning if I sign up for monthly cleanings for 6 months. Thumbtack gives me similar quotes but often 10-15 bucks cheaper.

I used Handy once before and the cleaner was good but nothing special. $90 seems excessive but I also cant seem to find any local help either. I checked out some other services like Maid Marines, Maid Sailors, Planet Maids, etc and theyre even more expensive.

I'd love to hire someone regularly. I'm thinking of resorting to Craigslist but I'm not too confident about that lol
Oh in that case, it seems on the cheap end unless they're only cleaning for an hour or something. My friend pays $85-100 for ~3 hours of cleaning (depends on how it takes, this lady charges about $25/hr). She's really good though.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
How do you have apartments large enough to merit hiring cleaners haha?

Honestly, I have no idea how or why my apartment gets so dirty. I'm barely home and I live by myself in a small ass 1BR yet my shit is always dusty and my floor is dirty. Maybe it's because I live in an old ass building so crap from outside gets in easier. I dunno. I'd like to think I'm a rather clean person but stuff just builds.

I also hate cleaning the bathroom. Absolutely hate it. 90% of the reason I want a home clean is for a spotless bathroom.

As a working adult, free time has basically become a luxury. I'm at work almost all day on weekdays so whatever free time I have, I want to use it doing stuff I enjoy instead of chores. I also started to pay FlyCleaner's outrageous prices for pickup and dropoff laundry (any recommendations for alternatives would be welcome!). I'm too lazy to even do drop off at my local laundromat. I'm just constantly tired so if I can even get an extra 30 mins to myself, I'll pay for it.

I personally didn't use the cleaner for general apartment cleaning but for deep cleaning our kitchen and bathroom. The others I know who do use cleaners for general cleaning live in 1 BRs or studios; it still takes 3-4 hours. (not huge places; the studio I'm thinking of is like 550 or 575 sqft or something, for example). Everyone I know works too much to bother with cleaning their own apartments haha. As a once per month expense, it's not bad at all.

Oh in that case, it seems on the cheap end unless they're only cleaning for an hour or something. My friend pays $85-100 for ~3 hours of cleaning (depends on how it takes, this lady charges about $25/hr). She's really good though.

I guess that seems to be the norm. Yeah, its $90 for like 3 hours which is often more than enough to get a solid cleaning though I'd like to splurge for a deep clean once in a while.

meow

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Honestly, I have no idea how or why my apartment gets so dirty. I'm barely home and I live by myself in a small ass 1BR yet my shit is always dusty and my floor is dirty. Maybe it's because I live in an old ass building so crap from outside gets in easier. I dunno. I'd like to think I'm a rather clean person but stuff just builds.
I think it's just the air or something (which is kind of gross to think about). My bf lives in a 2-year old building and he programs his roomba to run every MWF and it still picks up a ton of dust.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Anyone here live in Prospect Heights area? Thinking of moving up there next year; kinda tired of South Brooklyn.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
I'm not sure if anyone is going down to watch the West Village Halloween Parade today but I'm pleased to say that I'm marching in the parade again for 3 years. II'll be manning one of these eye puppets under the Processional Arts Workshop banner. Check out pics from this year's themed puppets here. It's the 200th anniversary of Mary Shelly's Frankenstein so robots it is: https://www.instagram.com/processional_arts/

CrocM

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone here live in Prospect Heights area? Thinking of moving up there next year; kinda tired of South Brooklyn.
I don't live there, but I really like the area. Lots of great bars and hangout spots over there, plus right next to Prospect Park and the Museum. And it's still low-key so it's not super crowded. If I could afford to live over there, I wouldn't pass up the opportunity.

Neutra

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
there's a bunch of japanese famicom, super famicom, megadrive, n64, etc. game carts for sale at a vintage store in Chelsea, next to Cafe Riazor on 16th street: https://goo.gl/maps/zfA4mWpmVg42

IMG-7363.jpg

not my thing but i figured someone here might be interested...

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Since we're now officially recognized as a street gang, we need to establish our territory. Where is the best place to do this?

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
While working at Doc NYC in IFC Center last night, I was working with this Asian dude who I noticed was lurking on this forum on his phone. He was lurking in the politics thread and said he either doesn't have an account or has an account but rarely posts. I told him I have an account and used to the run the meet ups but told him of the current ones. I forgot to ask for his name but I told him the wonderful world of Action Burger and knowing a certain mod and an admin here. Any way, shout out to that guy. I'm pretty sure he doesn't see this thread since he didn't know that this thread exists when I told him about it.

OP
OP
B-Dubs

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
While working at Doc NYC last night, I was working with this Asian dude who I noticed was lurking on this forum on his phone. He was lurking in the politics thread and said he either doesn't have an account or has an account but rarely posts. I forgot to ask for his name but I told him the wonderful world of Action Burger and knowing a certain mod and an admin here. Any way, shout out to that guy. I'm pretty sure he doesn't see this thread since he didn't know that this thread exists when I told him about it.
He should come out to the next meetup.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
He should come out to the next meetup.
Sadly, he's not doing any other shifts since he starts a new job tomorrow. I told him that the meet ups get posted in off-topic but he didn't seem all that interested. It doesn't help that I lost my 128GB micro SD card and have no functioning phone to show him my profile. I'll tell him about it at the Doc NYC thank you party should he attend it. I'll also see to asking the venue manager ask for his name tomorrow when I work again. I'm also likely to run to him at PAX Unplugged in a few weeks since he was thinking about going.

BTW, I'm working at Anime NYC again next weekend if anyone is going to that. I'm working a double shift every day so I'll be around and probably will be tired from Doc NYC the prior night and every other day.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I'm close to that hood, I love it. Move to Crown Heights if you can, which is really nice. It's more green and basically walking distance away. And you have access to cool bars and a few sweet clubs.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Hi NYC folks,
Was in NYC last weekend, got a card for the subway, put $26 on it, used it once probably has... $20 left on it or so. I don't know the exact amount. Happy to mail it to whoever wants it. If interested, quote my post and send me a PM w/ an address and I'll send it to you.

I promise I'm not a weirdo looking to get your contact, just figured someone could use this more than me. Hell I'll mail it to a PO box or w/e if you'd rather that.

*edit* claimed by Jo-awn

Last edited:

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Hi NYC folks,
Was in NYC last weekend, got a card for the subway, put $26 on it, used it once probably has... $20 left on it or so. I don't know the exact amount. Happy to mail it to whoever wants it. If interested, quote my post and send me a PM w/ an address and I'll send it to you.

I promise I'm not a weirdo looking to get your contact, just figured someone could use this more than me. Hell I'll mail it to a PO box or w/e if you'd rather that.
I'll gladly take it. Will shoot you a PM with my details since nearly everyone else is in the Discord cocoon.

OP
OP
B-Dubs

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Ichiran is quite good, but is pricey as hell.