• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CrocM

Oct 25, 2017
Moving to Brooklyn next month (Clinton Hill)

What are your favorite ramen shops?
There are several really good Ramen places in Fort Greene, and one of my personal favorites is Samurai Papa in Bed-Stuy. Both neighborhoods are next to Clinton Hill.

EDIT: Karasu is the name of the place in Fort Greene.

dabbert

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Perfect weather for a ......murder.... of my backlog.... of board games .... of last Christmas

dabbert

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Going to PAX Unplugged?
i dont leave the island that is my backlog.... of board games ....
also Philadeplhia is a trash city. I hear they fucking spray cheese wheese on grade D beef and call it a delicacy there. HHaven't those plebs fucking heard of the culinary delight that is chopped cheese. God, just thinking of Philly makes me want to drink IPA because IPAs were created for helping british soldiers cope with commiting tyrannical acts in the name of cultural imperialism

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
While I'm still sans a phone and unable to access Discord, I got a PS4. You're welcome to tell me to get back on Discord and add me at Jipan181 or PM me your PSN ID.

On topic: If anyone is going to be in the Lincoln Center area between 5pm-9pm, tomorrow is the annual Jack Frost Festival. Free live music outsife the 1 train, pop up stores, and more! Plus you get to see me and a bunch of puppeteers parade a bunch of frost giants since I'm volunteering. Come out and take pics, say hello, bring a date and what have you. It's gonna be fun. :)

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
No Horizon for 10 bucks since it was unavailable but if the next meet up is a Secret Santa exchange, then there you go. I did get God of War via Amazon though.

I stayed up until 7am playing Spider-Man and have been impressed with NY's portrayal. I still think it feels like New Chicago since Insomniac's Spider-Man has a ton of alleys where the real Manhattan does not. I'm also disappointed that it's just Manhattan. But they got High Line Park, One World Trade Center, and Manhattan's municipal building right among other things. MSG and the huge post office across the street are rendered all right but not done proper justice. I've been enjoying it otherwise despite knowing all the spoilers.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
No Horizon for 10 bucks since it was unavailable but if the next meet up is a Secret Santa exchange, then there you go. I did get God of War via Amazon though.

I stayed up until 7am playing Spider-Man and have been impressed with NY's portrayal. I still think it feels like New Chicago since Insomniac's Spider-Man has a ton of alleys where the real Manhattan does not. I'm also disappointed that it's just Manhattan. But they the got High Line Park, One World Trade Center, and Manhattan's municipal building right among other things. MSG and the huge post office across the street are rendered all right but not done proper justice. I've been enjoying it otherwise despite knowing all the spoilers.
Everybody knows MSG is a heap of shit.

Deleted member 46958

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
While I'm still sans a phone and unable to access Discord, I got a PS4. You're welcome to tell me to get back on Discord and add me at Jipan181 or PM me your PSN ID.

On topic: If anyone is going to be in the Lincoln Center area between 5pm-9pm, tomorrow is the annual Jack Frost Festival. Free live music outsife the 1 train, pop up stores, and more! Plus you get to see me and a bunch of puppeteers parade a bunch of frost giants since I'm volunteering. Come out and take pics, say hello, bring a date and what have you. It's gonna be fun. :)

I passed right through this on Monday On my way to class. Didn't knownwhat it was.

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
Train leaves for NYC tomorrow morning for the big move. Brooklyn here I come.

giphy.gif

infinitebento

Oct 25, 2017
chicago
someone let me sleep on your floor or in your closet and let me work in a three michelin star kitchen for a month.

will pay $$$ and feed you + industry perks

i want this job so fucking badly

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
I passed right through this on Monday On my way to class. Didn't knownwhat it was.
Frost Giant puppets and live music in addition to shops. Braving the winds and the cold rain was challenging. Look up Processional Arts Workshop on Instagram for pics but it was fun. Most people come for the puppets these days. We had to dodge trees too since it was 3 people per puppet.

I'm liking Philly a lot. Brooklyn meets Boston is about right. Probably my second favorite city now tied with Chicago. Where have you been in my life Philly? Sorry hoggert .

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
someone let me sleep on your floor or in your closet and let me work in a three michelin star kitchen for a month.

will pay $$$ and feed you + industry perks

i want this job so fucking badly
Let me be real- if you're in food service you will make it in NYC. The restaurant trade is so strong here, it's easily work you can find every day nonstop hiring. People finish trail shifts, then never show up. People quit without finishing the week, already hired elsewhere. People flat out skip shifts and they're kept because the bodies are always needed.

If that's what's stopping you, you can find a million rooms for rent on a monthly basis, no strings attached. Gypsy Housing is a group on Facebook dedicated to this very concept.

infinitebento

Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Let me be real- if you're in food service you will make it in NYC. The restaurant trade is so strong here, it's easily work you can find every day nonstop hiring. People finish trail shifts, then never show up. People quit without finishing the week, already hired elsewhere. People flat out skip shifts and they're kept because the bodies are always needed.

If that's what's stopping you, you can find a million rooms for rent on a monthly basis, no strings attached. Gypsy Housing is a group on Facebook dedicated to this very concept.

My resume is so strong that I know I could crush it there and want it more than anything. There are several michelin kitchens ive been eyeballing that I know I could thrive in.

I just need a way to find a place to sleep until I get started. When I moved here to chicago I only had $200 and slept in a place with no heat or gas on an air mattress until I got enough saved to get an apartment.

I want to do the same thing again but in NYC.

I don't use facebook but I'll look into Gypsy Housing.

Any other recommendations?

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
Can't offer a room, but if you need an air mattress when you get here lemme know. I have a spare.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
My resume is so strong that I know I could crush it there and want it more than anything. There are several michelin kitchens ive been eyeballing that I know I could thrive in.

I just need a way to find a place to sleep until I get started. When I moved here to chicago I only had $200 and slept in a place with no heat or gas on an air mattress until I got enough saved to get an apartment.

I want to do the same thing again but in NYC.

I don't use facebook but I'll look into Gypsy Housing.

Definitely not AirBnB that's for sure. Hostels in the city are also quite pricey from what I heard. Maybe couch surfing or some kind of exchange program. I can't think of any off the top of my head at the moment. I will say that I volunteer for several food related events in the city throughout the year such as Taste Williamsburg-Greenpoint and Food Film Festival. I would say to reach out to the latter organization and ask for some guidance. Specifically Kathy Berry and if she asks, tell her Jhoan recommended getting in touch with Chef Aaron. I'm not suggesting that you volunteer since obviously you wouldn't be in a stable financial position to do so. But a ton of chefs and cooks do those events.

infinitebento

Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Definitely not AirBnB that's for sure. Hostels in the city are also quite pricey from what I heard. Maybe couch surfing or some kind of exchange program. I can't think of any off the top of my head at the moment. I will say that I volunteer for several food related events in the city throughout the year such as Taste Williamsburg-Greenpoint and Food Film Festival. I would say to reach out to the latter organization and ask for some guidance. Specifically Kathy Berry and if she asks, tell her Jhoan recommended getting in touch with Chef Aaron. I'm not suggesting that you volunteer since obviously you wouldn't be in a stable financial position to do so. But a ton of chefs and cooks do those events.

I'm open to volunteering. I love meeting other industry folks and being involved, honestly. Its super inspiring.

I mostly just need somewhere to sleep, even if its only a few hours per day tho.

If I can't find anywhere to crash, I'll likely sleep at the airport until I find my footing.

I'm willing to sacrifice everything to work at the places I want.

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
Does anyone have T-Mobile service here? Was noticing the last few times I've been in the city the service seems weak and is useless in the subways. Wondering I need to jump to Verizon or something

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
I'm open to volunteering. I love meeting other industry folks and being involved, honestly. Its super inspiring.

I mostly just need somewhere to sleep, even if its only a few hours per day tho.

If I can't find anywhere to crash, I'll likely sleep at the airport until I find my footing.

I'm willing to sacrifice everything to work at the places I want.

Wow, damn, that's dedication. Are you in NYC now or are you planning to move the NYC to get the job? I can try asking a friend, but I can't make any promises.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. Well, I can already tell you the game is a lot easier than you think. I can't stress enough how helpful craigslist, gypsy housing, and other room personal ad services can be- I've solely floated through gypsy housing for years. Lots of students and working professionals need temp sublets due to rent prices.

As for the restaurants, shit, I could connect you to two fine dining establishments in Manhattan if you make the jump. I'm telling you, to feel better about chances, just look at kitchen gigs on Craigslist- there's twenty some a day, constantly revolving. Same with rooms!

Edit: looking back earlier in this thread, that st Patrick's chicken crawl list was legit. Radeghast Beer Hall is magnifico always and forever.

infinitebento

Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Wow, damn, that's dedication. Are you in NYC now or are you planning to move the NYC to get the job? I can try asking a friend, but I can't make any promises.

I am willing to sacrifice what I have for what I want.

I reached working at two michelin stars this year so I want to push for three. No time like the present.

Any and all help towards a floor to sleep on are appreciated. I offer my kitchen skills and sum $$$ as I get started.

Hmm. Well, I can already tell you the game is a lot easier than you think. I can't stress enough how helpful craigslist, gypsy housing, and other room personal ad services can be- I've solely floated through gypsy housing for years. Lots of students and working professionals need temp sublets due to rent prices.

As for the restaurants, shit, I could connect you to two fine dining establishments in Manhattan if you make the jump. I'm telling you, to feel better about chances, just look at kitchen gigs on Craigslist- there's twenty some a day, constantly revolving. Same with rooms!

Edit: looking back earlier in this thread, that st Patrick's chicken crawl list was legit. Radeghast Beer Hall is magnifico always and forever.

I've been looking at jobs in nyc for the last 6 months.
Its a constant thought and i know how abundant they are which is why I want to be there. I want these opportunities, I just need to get there. Any and all connections would mean a lot. :>

My resume is pretty plump for its contents imo.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
I am willing to sacrifice what I have for what I want.

I reached working at two michelin stars this year so I want to push for three. No time like the present.

Any and all help towards a floor to sleep on are appreciated. I offer my kitchen skills and sum $$$ as I get started.

I understand your passion, but please keep in mind that all I can do is ask. I can't make any promises.

meow

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
of course. I don't expect anything, honestly.

This is all just a shot in the dark.
How much can you afford to start? I think one of my friends actually lives here and has been for a couple of years: http://stmarysresidence.blogspot.com/

It's run by Catholic nuns or something (yes, really), dorm-style living with shared bathrooms/spaces, women only, no guests, that sort of thing. But it comes furnished, is clean and safe, located in a pretty good area (UES), and does short-term housing for very cheap considering you're living in Manhattan (looks like it's currently $266/week + deposit, minimum of 3 weeks). I'm not sure how easy it is to get a room though.

If you do move to NYC, I'm happy to try to be a point of contact.

infinitebento

Oct 25, 2017
chicago
How much can you afford to start? I think one of my friends actually lives here and has been for a couple of years: http://stmarysresidence.blogspot.com/

It's run by Catholic nuns or something (yes, really), dorm-style living with shared bathrooms/spaces, women only, no guests, that sort of thing. But it comes furnished, is clean and safe, located in a pretty good area (UES), and does short-term housing for very cheap considering you're living in Manhattan (looks like it's currently $266/week + deposit, minimum of 3 weeks). I'm not sure how easy it is to get a room though.

If you do move to NYC, I'm happy to try to be a point of contact.

I'll have a little over a grand to start.

I'll definitely look into that nun situation if my search for a couch or floor ends up fruitless :>