• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
I don't think Samurai Papa was recommended here for ramen but it should be. Snagged some tonight and it was so damn good.

Place is tiny though. Prepare for a wait

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
On the 7th? Will people be able to make it after seeing Metroid Prime 4 reveal? We might need time to recover.
I might pass. Took a bit of a financial hit here in Philly. Have a review to write over the weekend. I don't want to go back to NYC. I love being on my own and traveling alone. ;_; Dammit I love that I'm having a few local beers at a bar in South Philly alone!

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I might pass. Took a bit of a financial hit here in Philly. Have a review to write over the weekend. I don't want to go back to NYC. I love being on my own and traveling alone. ;_; Dammit I love that I'm having a few local beers at a bar in South Philly alone!
Nah you gotta come. Last meetup of the year and people think you're dead. If you like drinking alone so much, I'm sure there will be a moment where enough people will be on their phones that you can relive that feeling. 🤙🏻

Last edited:

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Nah you gotta come. Last meetup of the year and people think you're dead. If you like drinking alone so much, I'm sure there will be a moment where enough people will be on their phones that you can relive that feeling.
I dunno son, being on my own feels liberating in a way where no one knows you and have to figure out your way. I call it solitary enjoyment. I went through hell and back coming and leaving Philly since I wasted money thanks to overlooking mistakes. But I had friends looking after me to help me sort it out and calm me down. I'm going to see if I plan a trip to Canada alone for next year.
Better off drinking in Philly where it's shockingly cheap.
Yup, I'll miss the cheap beer. And damn good beer at that. :( Also Wawa. Loved the hell out of Wawa's cheap sandwiches.
I kinda know what you mean. I did a bit of that in China.
Yup, it didn't happen so much when I was in the Dominican Republic but here it feels good if that makes any sense.

Deleted member 388

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno son, being on my own feels liberating in a way where no one knows you and have to figure out your way. I call it solitary enjoyment. I went through hell and back coming and leaving Philly since I wasted money thanks to overlooking mistakes. But I had friends looking after me to help me sort it out and calm me down. I'm going to see if I plan a trip to Canada alone for next year.
All I'm hearing is that you hate us. 😔

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
The buildings department says it is not operating a crackdown. But the increase is linked to anonymous 311 complaints, which the agency is obligated to investigate and take action on if violations are found."
Over the past three years, the number of 311 complaints about business awnings and signs stayed steady around 900, until this year, when it doubled to nearly 1900 complaints.
lol, suuuuuuree. definitely just an influx of "anonymous" reports. but I guess it might be sign companies doing this?? That's shady

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
I bet it's just one guy who had to take his own sign down
wouldn't that be a trip, ha

---
This morning I made the mistake of taking the C in from Brooklyn after 9. Waited for three trains before one had room, then a signal shit the bed so the train was rerouted onto the F line. Ended up taking an hour and a half to get into work.

Oct 25, 2017
So recently around my part of Brooklyn, a lot of businesses have been taking down their awnings and replacing them with banners. Turns out someone is making a ton of 311 calls to have them taken down: http://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...esses-are-getting-slapped-with-signage-fines-

There has to be a reason for all this. I mean, awnings? Seriously?

The city would be far more attractive without awnings. The vast majority of them are terrible, and yeah out in the boroughs they get much worse in part because most aren't actually compliant with regs.

If it's a sign company behind it, I'm impressed no one came up with it before now.

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
Yo speaking of 311 and signage, is there an rule on signage brightness? There's a car wash a couple blocks down that has a huge LED array sign which they must have set at 11/10 brightness. Damn thing illuminates the entire street for blocks.

OP
OP
B-Dubs

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Yo speaking of 311 and signage, is there an rule on signage brightness? There's a car wash a couple blocks down that has a huge LED array sign which they must have set at 11/10 brightness. Damn thing illuminates the entire street for blocks.
Yeah, pretty sure there is

Amirnol

Oct 27, 2017
Hello NYC peeps! My wife and I are looking at places to live in Bronxville, and from everything we've heard it's a pretty cozy little area with decent shops/restaurants/etc. I am wondering if any of you have an opinion of this suburb? We both work in Greenwich so we're trying to find something of a compromise between NYC and work. Thanks!

Oct 25, 2017
Hello NYC peeps! My wife and I are looking at places to live in Bronxville, and from everything we've heard it's a pretty cozy little area with decent shops/restaurants/etc. I am wondering if any of you have an opinion of this suburb? We both work in Greenwich so we're trying to find something of a compromise between NYC and work. Thanks!

If you can afford the area it should be nice. You're going to be spending more time commuting and at the mercy of the train getting into work, though, versus living near or off of the subway.

Kisaya

Oct 25, 2017
Hi NYC family 👋🏽 I'll be back home tomorrow, Dec 27 through Jan 3.

Anything cool to do during NYE this year? In the past I would go to Grand Army Plaza where they would have fireworks and performances. Do they still do that there?

fallengorn

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Are we really going to this or is it a joke?
NRHnMfM.png

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Anyone else going to Prospect Park for fireworks?

I mean I'd be game... only like 15 mins on the train

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
If anyone (non-discord) have any good ideas for things to do on NYE, I'm all ears. I want to do something different this year instead of staying home and playing video games.

Prospect Park sounds nice, but it's a little hard to get to from Queens. I might still consider going there though. Any other suggestions?

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
I'm undecided as to what my plans are for NYE. I usually don't do anything and stay home because I'm boring (my family goes to parties). 2 of my friends want to meet up that day. Never been to Prospect Park's fireworks but it sounds fun. At least 1.5 hours for me on the train though. And I imagine it won't be fun getting on a train full of drunk and loud people. :(

I've looked around Time Out NY's website but the stuff they listed looks pricey. $179 for the Circle Line NYE cruise? Yup, that's pricey.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
How much do people here pay in gas/electric per month? I'm curious. I have a 2 bedroom and I'd love to compare.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I pay about 30-40 bucks for electric per month. I don't own a car, so I don't have to worry about gas.

That's cheap... wow

My apartment has been boiling all week because of the weather and I can't really open a window because of scaffolding. Bleh

$70-120 determined by A/C use.

My bill went up this month because of level payment plan but I think it's recouping for the electric we used in the summer.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, our heat is gas and well, it was $150 this month opposed to $100 last month. And there have been days where we didn't even put it on, it was freezing. There seems to be inefficiency with this heater in this apartment.

Deleted member 388

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's possible there are drafts coming through your window. Caulking or sealing with insulation helps.

Depending on where you live, and how the company is reading the electric meter, the amount you pay can vary by making up for a previous month where they just estimated, etc. Usually the things that drive up a bill are AC and the fridge. I also just got my bill and it was $60 (in Manhattan).