• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BrokenIcarus

Oct 27, 2017
What's up NYC-Era? I just moved to Williamsburg yesterday and I don't know anyone here. How's it going? Anyone want to hang out? :)

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say join the Discord, but then you may never want to meet us haha.
pnwR6QF.png

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone interested in a free water cooler that has been used only to pump wine for the last two weeks?

WfyZL91.jpg

Nov 13, 2017
Hey NYC Era - I'm moving to NYC at the start of August and I could really use your help on choosing a neighborhood to move to. My criteria:

1 - I will need to find roomies, and my rent should probably be around $1200 max, so nothing wildly expensive
2 - Really hope I can be near some green spaces, or neighborhoods that have lots of trees and are relatively peaceful
3 - Don't want it to smell like piss and shit 24/7, so Manhattan is pretty much out of the picture

All that being said, I would also have to commute toward the Bronx a few days per week for work. Some friends have suggested Astoria, Crown Heights and Prospect Heights as possible winners. Any other suggestions on where I should be looking?

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Hey NYC Era - I'm moving to NYC at the start of August and I could really use your help on choosing a neighborhood to move to. My criteria:

1 - I will need to find roomies, and my rent should probably be around $1200 max, so nothing wildly expensive
2 - Really hope I can be near some green spaces, or neighborhoods that have lots of trees and are relatively peaceful
3 - Don't want it to smell like piss and shit 24/7, so Manhattan is pretty much out of the picture

All that being said, I would also have to commute toward the Bronx a few days per week for work. Some friends have suggested Astoria, Crown Heights and Prospect Heights as possible winners. Any other suggestions on where I should be looking?

Oh drat those were gonna be my suggestions!

And Manhattan isn't that bad if you find the right area.... being able to afford it is a different subject.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY

Where did you hear that? That sounds rather ill-informed IMHO.

Damn near everyone lives in all those neighborhoods or Bed-Stuy. 🙄

Oct 25, 2017

The obvious question to ask as 'Why not the Bronx'? It's cheaper, there's plenty of nice neighborhoods, and not having to commute a long distance is always nice.

lurock

Jan 11, 2018
I currently live in Kensington and the B/Q takes you into the city really fast. Rent is still relatively cheaper down here than in most northern neighborhoods in Brooklyn and there's a really, really low crime rate. Prospect Park is a short bike ride away (as is Coney Island). An uber will cost you less than $20 to get to areas with a little more night life.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017

Come to Ridgewood. I don't know if the rent is high though.

dabbert

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God, one time I went to this pho spot in brooklyn and they were literally boiling down whatever that crap that comes to the surface and congeals in sewers to make the stock
i tried to get my money back but it was cash only and i got nervous and already tipped

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017

Prospect Heights and Crown Heights are fantastic, but unsure if doable in that range. Also far from the Bronx. Astoria is closer, but Astoria is probably even more expensive. I'd suggest Bed Stuy and Bushwick, should be possible to do with roomies in that range.

Penguin

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Oh I dig those pics nitewulf

Also for those who have abandoned the discord... if want think we're going to Bierhaus tomorrow in the afternoon.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Those are some amazing pictures right there, makes me want to get into photography.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
If you guys wanna hang out sometimes, I love Do or Dive at Crown Heights, and the Jefferson Street strip in Bushwick...The Johnson's, The Rookery etc. Williamsburg/Greenpoint is fine as well. Wondering if anyone lives in my area? I am in Kensington, near Prospect Park/Windsor Terrace.

Penguin

Oct 25, 2017
New York
If you guys wanna hang out sometimes, I love Do or Dive at Crown Heights, and the Jefferson Street strip in Bushwick...The Johnson's, The Rookery etc. Williamsburg/Greenpoint is fine as well. Wondering if anyone lives in my area? I am in Kensington, near Prospect Park/Windsor Terrace.
Depends on what side of prospect Park

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Oh you're on the other side of the park then

Closer to my work (Grand Army) and some good bars though

Sure we can try and do a meet-up in the area... maybe closer to Barclays/5th Ave
Oh I didn't mean meet up in my hood, though it is pretty vibrant (the Cortelyou Road strip has a whole string of bars). I used to live by you (in Fort Green, but I'd walk around a lot)...I love Vanderbilt and Washington avenues...I used to go to The Way Station a lot.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Hi, got an internship around the Empire State Building/Greeley Square area, so wanted to ask for recommendations of good places for breakfast/lunch around there

PCfromNYC

Oct 25, 2017
Just a heads up: Ticker-tape parade will be happening on the 10th to celebrate the Women's national team winning the World Cup.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B-Dubs

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Bah, I can't get out of shit that day

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Oh I didn't mean meet up in my hood, though it is pretty vibrant (the Cortelyou Road strip has a whole string of bars). I used to live by you (in Fort Green, but I'd walk around a lot)...I love Vanderbilt and Washington avenues...I used to go to The Way Station a lot.
I got flaked on a date at a bar there last summer. I believe it was Sycamore Bar + Flower shop but the locals were nice to talk to. I got into a conversation with a couple who lived down the street from there. The bars around there all looked pretty damn cool but it was a quite a bit of a trek for me to get to from northern Manhattan. Still, I think it's an underrated area with a residential vibe.
Hi, got an internship around the Empire State Building/Greeley Square area, so wanted to ask for recommendations of good places for breakfast/lunch around there
Food wise, K-town (Korea Way) would probably be your best bet like Woorijip and Bonchon. But there's only so much Korean food one can eat before getting fatigued by it. Reichenbach Hall is another solid option for German pub food like wiener, schnitzel, and pretzels in addition to the beer (probably best after work, not during lunch break).

If you go a bit further east to 3rd avenue Bare Burger is a solid bet for exotic meat burgers. It's far out of the way but Skylight Diner is a good option for breakfast. The service is great as it's my go-to place with friends when working conventions at the Javits Center. Then, of course, there's Chik-Fil-A on 37th and 6th and Sticky's near Times Square. Really you can't go wrong with anything around there if you're looking for something outside of chain restaurants.

Just a heads up: Ticker-tape parade will be happening on the 10th to celebrate the Women's national team winning the World Cup.
Is it worth going to for someone who doesn't follow sports? The idea of enduring crowds to get a glimpse at the team can go either way depending on one's level of interest. Also, I just learned that ticker tape parades used to involve using actual ticker tape. But these days it's confetti lol.

PCfromNYC

Oct 25, 2017
Is it worth going to for someone who doesn't follow sports? The idea of enduring crowds to get a glimpse at the team can go either way depending on one's level of interest. Also, I just learned that ticker tape parades used to involve using actual ticker tape. But these days it's confetti lol.
Probably not. These things are just your usual parades with people you'd only know if you followed the sport.

I'm thinking of going, but I'm fearing I'm gonna run into a lot of people that'll try to disrupt the parade since one of the bigger stars of the team has been very vocal on her political stances.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I got flaked on a date at a bar there last summer. I believe it was Sycamore Bar + Flower shop but the locals were nice to talk to. I got into a conversation with a couple who lived down the street from there. The bars around there all looked pretty damn cool but it was a quite a bit of a trek for me to get to from northern Manhattan. Still, I think it's an underrated area with a residential vibe.
Yes, Sycamore is the first bar that sprouted up around 15 years ago, now there's Bar Chord which has live music, Highbury Pub which is an Arsenal bar of all things. Bunch of pretty well rated restaurants, specifically very authentic Thai, I mean that in a serious way, Isaan Thai and other region specific Thai, not generic stuff. Thai restaurateurs love this neighborhood for some reason. I grew up here, and I believe we do like to keep it a bit secret.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Probably not. These things are just your usual parades with people you'd only know if you followed the sport.

I'm thinking of going, but I'm fearing I'm gonna run into a lot of people that'll try to disrupt the parade since one of the bigger stars of the team has been very vocal on her political stances.
I just heard about that on WNYC. I understand she's advocating for equal pay for female soccer players which started with Hope Solo a few years ago. As such, I can definitely see people trying to disrupt the parade.
Yes, Sycamore is the first bar that sprouted up around 15 years ago, now there's Bar Chord which has live music, Highbury Pub which is an Arsenal bar of all things. Bunch of pretty well rated restaurants, specifically very authentic Thai, I mean that in a serious way, Isaan Thai and other region specific Thai, not generic stuff. Thai restaurateurs love this neighborhood for some reason. I grew up here, and I believe we do like to keep it a bit secret.
Sycamore was one of the most unique bars I've been to in the city say the least so it was a blessing in disguise. I've never had Thai food so that's good to know. Growing up in Washington Heights, Dominican, Salvadoran pupusas (greasy but good), and quite a few Mexican places gets tiring. I mean there is a Thai place a block away from the A train but I've never stepped foot in there. We've also got a pretty decent Japanese ramen place.