• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Heh, didn't get a chance to check back in the thread. Ended up in Brooklyn today and wound up in Time Out Market where I got Juliana's. The Margherita was fantastic.

Going to keep your recommendations in my head to make sure I stop for more pizza on this trip!

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been in NYC for a bit, but haven't really explored much. Parent's coming over this weekend, what are cheap touristy things to do? They've already been to times square, grand central, wall st, statue of liberty.

Going to be in Harlem, so close to Harlem/Manhattan stuff would work better.

Haven't been down to central park yet, is it worth the trip to just walk around there? Any events going on in Manhattan on Friday/Saturday? I wanted to do Top of the Rock, but damn it's crazy expensive, almost $150 for all 3 of us just look at Manhattan skyline.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
It is and isn't.
Like happy I did it, but for the price there isn't enough to justify it sadly.

I really enjoyed it! The interactive activities were fun and the subject matter really interests me so I had a good time.

Ended up doing High Line and Hudson Yards today. High Line was really beautiful.

Went to East Harlem to Hajjis for chopped cheese and it was delicious. Really interesting to see a completely different part of town.

Finished the night with a Broadway show. Ain't Too Proud. Pretty incredible to see such a high caliber production.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Lucali was excellent. I think I still like Juliana's crust better but Lucali was a fantastic experience. I definitely recommend the calzone. The pizza is great, but the calzone is still it of this world. The tomato sauce is perfect.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Just seeing if there would be any interest in doing something on Halloween?

And would folks dress up!

Nov 23, 2017
Hi NYC Era, I wanted to introduce myself to you guys as I'm making some changes in my life and want to put myself out there, even little steps like this at a time. My name is Carson and I've lived in the city since I started going to school at NYU in 2012 and it's been great but over time a lot of the people I knew ended up being unable to afford living here or just had other opportunities elsewhere...

I live in the East Village near Stuytown. I'd love to get a drink, hit Barcade in Brooklyn or the village, hang out somewhere and smoke up if anyones into that, whatever. Great to meet you all!

Last edited:

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Hi NYC Era, I wanted to introduce myself to you guys as I'm making some changes in my life and want to put myself out there, even little steps like this at a time. My name is Carson and I've lived in the city since I started going to school at NYU in 2012 and it's been great but over time a lot of the people I knew ended up being unable to afford living here or just had other opportunities elsewhere...

I'd love to get a drink, hit Barcade in Brooklyn or the village, hang out somewhere and smoke up if anyones into that, whatever. Great to meet you all!

Keep your eye out for events. We always post about them either in here or a separate new thread.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York

I live in the East Village near Stuytown. I'd love to get a drink, hit Barcade in Brooklyn or the village, hang out somewhere and smoke up if anyones into that, whatever. Great to meet you all!

Welcome. It's a great community for getting seduced into suspicious murder rooms under the guise of "watching Mortal Kombat the movie".

Penguin

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Welcome. It's a great community for getting seduced into suspicious murder rooms under the guise of "watching Mortal Kombat the movie".

To our credit, you also got to watch Mortal Kombat the movie, and the sequel and even the YouTube series... sadly only got to watch em... not hear them!

And... most people are accounted for!

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Hi NYC era!
Tomorrow is my 8th day out of 10 total in NYC, so far seen and done:

- The met museum
- comic con
- natural history museum
- Central park
- Times square
- Grand Central Station
- Brooklyn (williamsburg, bushwick, dumbo, botanical gardens, Smorgasburg market )
- 9/11 memorial+one world
- Chinatown
- high line, vessel
- Chelsea market
- East village
- went to 3 Broadway shows

I'm planning to go on the staten island ferry probably on Friday, but other than that i have 2 full days and pretty much nothing left on my to do list.

Anything cool yall can recommend to see/do? (first time in nyc btw)

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
Hi NYC era!

- The met museum
- comic con
- natural history museum
- Central park
- Times square
- Grand Central Station
- Brooklyn (williamsburg, bushwick, dumbo, botanical gardens, Smorgasburg market )
- Chinatown
- high line, vessel
- Chelsea market
- East village

I'm planning to go on the staten island ferry probably on Friday, but other than that i have 2 full days and pretty much nothing left on my to do list.

Museum of Sex is pretty good

meow

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Hi NYC era!

- The met museum
- comic con
- natural history museum
- Central park
- Times square
- Grand Central Station
- Chinatown
- high line, vessel
- Chelsea market
- East village

Sleep No More?

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Hi NYC era!

- The met museum
- comic con
- natural history museum
- Central park
- Times square
- Grand Central Station
- Chinatown
- high line, vessel
- Chelsea market
- East village

I would go to the Noguchi Museum, maybe hit up a brewery (Singlecut, Brooklyn Brewery, etc.), go to the William Vale and hit up Westlight, their rooftop bar, or if you're interested, the NY Food and Wine Festival is in town this weekend. Try to spend more time in Queens if anything like Flushing, LIC (cross the Queensboro bridge by foot), and Astoria for the Museum of The Moving Image (Thursdays are free) and good beer/food scene.

If you want to come to my neighborhood, Fort Tryon Park for The Cloisters has the largest Medieval collection in the U.S. in addition to nice views of The Palisades. Inwood Hill Park is the only park left in Manhattan with natural forests. Another treasure is the Morris Jumel Mansion so you have a lot of options. The Bowery Boys' website has a ton of ideas. NYC Ferry is a super fun ride with nice views of the city too.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
You guys are awesome! thanks for the suggestions.
I kind of forgot to book sleep no more and now tickets are ~$150 which I'm quite reluctant to spend so idk if I'll get to do that but I heard it's great

OP
OP
B-Dubs

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
You guys are awesome! thanks for the suggestions.
I kind of forgot to book sleep no more and now tickets are ~$150 which I'm quite reluctant to spend so idk if I'll get to do that but I heard it's great
It's a ton of fun, if you can afford it I'd go.

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
For those interested in knowing: Jumaane Williams won a full term for public advocate, Melinda Katz has won the election for DA of Queens, and all 5 amendment questions had a YES vote. All were basically landslides.
Not really shocking. The Republican option was a joke (he literally just wrote "stop the deBlasio agenda" three times as his top three policy goals), and most of the "vote no" comments on the BoE's site made it pretty clear there weren't a huge number of reasons to oppose them (just basically libertarians.)

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
For those interested in knowing: Jumaane Williams won a full term for public advocate, Melinda Katz has won the election for DA of Queens, and all 5 amendment questions had a YES vote. All were basically landslides.
As I figured. It was a no-brainer to say yes to all the proposals. I think they all sounded good and while I think some proposals could have been more extensive, it's a start. I voted last week and it was buttery smooth.

I'm also not surprised Katz won. When I saw the PA Republican candidate's cause, I LOL'ed. That was the definition of a joke candidate. In a perfect world, he would have won but he knew he had no chance so he figured he go out in a blaze of glory by showing his clear dislike of the De Blasio administration. Now if only NY State could get with the times and pass mail-in ballots like in Jersey.

Oct 25, 2017
Was in Prospect Park earlier:
AR304023 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
AR304041 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
AR303528 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
AR303573 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
AR303555 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
AR303622 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
AR303877 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
AR303961 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
AR303992 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
AR304010 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
AR303742 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
AR303447 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
AR303962 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
AR303994 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
More Here:

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
Apologies in advance, maybe this isn't the place to ask or perhaps it has been asked too much. I've been presented an opportunity to live and work in NYC and despite working for two different companies, my wife has been too. This would be a massive change for our family but we both adore NYC and are seriously considering it. The big catch (and this is where it gets super fucking tricky) is that we have 4 (!!) kids, all 9 and under so uprooting our life is umm, hard. If we did this, I would prefer to live in NYC although I realize Manhattan is simply too expensive for the space we'd need for 4 children.

I brought this up to someone who lives in the area and they said nobody with a family lives in the city or sends their kids to NYC schools and that I should like at locations in NJ. I'm from Texas, this could be true or completely false and I'd never know. From an affordability and living space standpoint, Queens seems to make sense but what the fuck do I know.

Am I completely off my rocker for wanting to actually try to live in the city (even if it's not the core) with kids, and should I just be trying to find a suburb in my scenario? Not gonna lie, moving across the country to find a NJ suburb is not quite as appealing. I'm sure income numbers would help, but not super comfortable sharing that for obvious reasons. I would say upper middle class but that's in Texas terms, not New York.

Penguin

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Apologies in advance, maybe this isn't the place to ask or perhaps it has been asked too much. I've been presented an opportunity to live and work in NYC and despite working for two different companies, my wife has been too. This would be a massive change for our family but we both adore NYC and are seriously considering it. The big catch (and this is where it gets super fucking tricky) is that we have 4 (!!) kids, all 9 and under so uprooting our life is umm, hard. If we did this, I would prefer to live in NYC although I realize Manhattan is simply too expensive for the space we'd need for 4 children.

I brought this up to someone who lives in the area and they said nobody with a family lives in the city or sends their kids to NYC schools and that I should like at locations in NJ. I'm from Texas, this could be true or completely false and I'd never know. From an affordability and living space standpoint, Queens seems to make sense but what the fuck do I know.

Am I completely off my rocker for wanting to actually try to live in the city (even if it's not the core) with kids, and should I just be trying to find a suburb in my scenario? Not gonna lie, moving across the country to find a NJ suburb is not quite as appealing. I'm sure income numbers would help, but not super comfortable sharing that for obvious reasons. I would say upper middle class but that's in Texas terms, not New York.
Whoever told you that is full of it

Tons of people raise families in the city

There are entire neighborhoods that people dub Stroller Areas

And as a product of NYC public school system, I'll go to bat for them