• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
What would be considered safe, not-wallet-breaking areas to live in the city, for someone looking for a studio-size apartment? I got a job in Midtown, so was looking to move into Manhattan or the boroughs sometime next year or 2021.

I've only really considered Pelham Parkway or Pelham Bay at the moment, but mainly interested in Manhattan, Bronx, or Brooklyn.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
What would be considered safe, not-wallet-breaking areas to live in the city, for someone looking for a studio-size apartment? I got a job in Midtown, so was looking to move into Manhattan or the boroughs sometime next year or 2021.

I've only really considered Pelham Parkway or Pelham Bay at the moment, but mainly interested in Manhattan, Bronx, or Brooklyn.
Hmm
I mean most areas are wallet breaking

Ridgewood might be a good bet
Maybe prospect heights

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
Whoever told you that is full of it

Tons of people raise families in the city

There are entire neighborhoods that people dub Stroller Areas

And as a product of NYC public school system, I'll go to bat for them

I know he's a lifelong Jersey guy so maybe there's inherent bias, not sure. But if I make that long of a move for on office on Madison Avenue right by Central Park, it'd be a bit disappointing to not stay in NYC. I mean, there are still a million other factors to consider, but it was pretty discouraging to hear that I should avoid NYC public schools at all costs thus eliminating any chance of me living in the city itself.

Edit: Don't want to exaggerate but I was told that nobody wants their kids in city schools and when I asked from what perspective, I was told an "everyything perspective" lol.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I know he's a lifelong Jersey guy so maybe there's inherent bias, not sure. But if I make that long of a move for on office on Madison Avenue right by Central Park, it'd be a bit disappointing to not stay in NYC. I mean, there are still a million other factors to consider, but it was pretty discouraging to hear that I should avoid NYC public schools at all costs thus eliminating any chance of me living in the city itself.

Edit: Don't want to exaggerate but I was told that nobody wants their kids in city schools and when I asked from what perspective, I was told an "everyything perspective" lol.
This sounds heavily biased since NYC has some very very good high schools in it, you need to test into them, but I think their trying to get rid of the testing process.

Oct 25, 2017

Living in Jersey close to the city is phenomenally cheaper. Taxes are way less, housing is generally cheaper. Downside is it's not anywhere as convenient as living in the city proper if you want to get anywhere that isn't Manhattan.

I've got tons of coworkers in the UES who commute from Jersey and have the same length of commute as I do coming from Brooklyn.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY

Uprooting your life especially when you have kids can be incredibly stressful on account of losing friendships that I'm sure your kids have made. It is a double-edged sword though when it comes to moving to better financial opportunity. But diversity is king in NYC no doubt about it thanks to public transportation. Especially in Queens since Manhattan tends to be segregated by neighborhood (although that's changed rapidly due to gentrification).

Also having graduated from the NYC public school system, while it has its share of problems that I won't get into, I think it beats the charter schools that have been popping up throughout the city left and right. Our current mayor is a big supporter of charter schools. But the city has been making efforts to nix standardized tests from elite public high schools to diversify the system. If you have the money, by all means, send your kids to private school. But I would say to do your homework first since where you choose to live will have a hand in which schools your kids go to.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Upper Manhattan is your last resort.

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

What's your budget? Upper East Side has decent priced studios - cheaper than many parts of brooklyn.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Is it still Festivus? Fuck you Speaker Corey Johnson for backpedaling on getting rid of gay conversion therapy orgs from the city. You're a coward to bend over backwards to conservative Christians. Kiss whatever chances you have of running for mayor post-DeBlandio goodbye.

Kisaya

Oct 25, 2017
Any must-dos/sees this weekend? Arriving early tomorrow morning and leaving Sunday night and would not want to miss out on anything unique.

Oct 27, 2017

Kisaya

Oct 25, 2017

Animus Vox

Oct 30, 2017
NYC
Hearing *unconfirmed* reports that coronavirus may have made it to our lovely city: Queens.

edit: coming from NY Daily News so maybe take with a bucket of salt

Last edited:

Deleted member 388

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coronavirus scare for NYC, but Health Department says no confirmed patient anywhere in five boroughs

That reeks of fear mongering. Equivalent of saying "rumor has it Metal Gear Solid 4 is coming to Xbox 360. But nothing is confirmed."

Also note that there are 6 confirmed cases in the entire country and 114 cases where people thought they had it but it was nothing. 95% chance that it's just the flu. And you probably shouldn't be scared until someone in the US, who is in a hospital and being treated, actually dies.

PCfromNYC

Oct 25, 2017
So today was the day that people swarmed Grand Central over the $2.75 fare. Anyone here affected by it?

Oct 25, 2017
So today was the day that people swarmed Grand Central over the $2.75 fare. Anyone here affected by it?

Went through twenty minutes before and the 4 train was smooth sailing.

The AC were screwed up yesterday because someone got hit at Hoyt, though. My SO ended up walking a mile and change because they shut down six or seven stations.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
I know you guys have a Sonic Meetup on Thursday, but I'll be in town Monday-Wednesday next week.

I'm coming down to do this:

I plan on doing some site seeing while I'm there since I've been to New York exactly once before for an hour changing buses.

I'll be free Monday and Tuesday night. I'm down for going out for a drink if anyone is game.

Also, Monday is a holiday for you guys too right? Is their anything I should plan on being closed? Or would normal touristy stuff be open no problem(eg time square, Statue of Liberty, 9/11 Memorial etc).

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
You know, it's hard to say with President's Day. It's not a major holiday and my company was actually open last year for President's Day. Chances are if not everything is open, there's still a good deal still operating on President's Day.

Deleted member 388

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know you guys have a Sonic Meetup on Thursday, but I'll be in town Monday-Wednesday next week.

I plan on doing some site seeing while I'm there since I've been to New York exactly once before for an hour changing buses.

I'll be free Monday and Tuesday night. I'm down for going out for a drink if anyone is game.

Also, Monday is a holiday for you guys too right? Is their anything I should plan on being closed? Or would normal touristy stuff be open no problem(eg time square, Statue of Liberty, 9/11 Memorial etc).

Boo-urns, I'm busy those nights but am also registered to do the Mario event. I think you should be fine in regards to things being open on Monday. Most places only close for Christmas and Thanksgiving.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY

I'm unemployed at the moment/between gigs so holidays are just another day for me. My best friend and a mutual friend both signed up for a session. I missed the boat on signing up for it. I wonder if anyone celebrates President's Day and has an excuse to get drunk. Depending on how lazy I feel, I'd entertain the idea but I'll let one of the other regulars do the organizing. Otherwise, I'm looking forward to PAX East shenanigans.

On another note, the Sanitation Department is giving away free reusable bags if anyone fills out the pledge form in lieu of the plastic bag ban that's doing into effect next month. They'll ship it in 2-4 weeks and it comes with a carabiner. You can't say no to free stuff from the city: https://materials.bwprronline.org/zero-waste-pledge-form

Oct 25, 2017
I'm unemployed at the moment/between gigs so holidays are just another day for me. My best friend and a mutual friend both signed up for a session. I missed the boat on signing up for it. I wonder if anyone celebrates President's Day and has an excuse to get drunk. Depending on how lazy I feel, I'd entertain the idea but I'll let one of the other regulars do the organizing. Otherwise, I'm looking forward to PAX East shenanigans.

On another note, the Sanitation Department is giving away free reusable bags if anyone fills out the pledge form in lieu of the plastic bag ban that's doing into effect next month. They'll ship it in 2-4 weeks and it comes with a carabiner. You can't say no to free stuff from the city: https://materials.bwprronline.org/zero-waste-pledge-form

Already got a million reusable totes. Gotten tons of Spanish shit-talk from the ladies at the grocery about it over the years. No one around here in Brooklyn is acting like anything's happening.

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017

There is a standby line you can line up in to give it a go if people who registered online don't show up(or Nintendo decides to allow more people to participate. The rules say they have the right to do this).

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
I'm planning to downsize from a 1BR to a studio apartment since I dont really need all this extra space. However, I dont really know how much space I need.

Just how big is 200 sqft? I saw a floorplan and I tried to map out my furniture which seem like they should "fit" but I'm trying to get a sense of how its like living in a place this small. Anyone lived in a tiny apartment? Hows that like?

Oct 25, 2017
I'm planning to downsize from a 1BR to a studio apartment since I dont really need all this extra space. However, I dont really know how much space I need.

Just how big is 200 sqft? I saw a floorplan and I tried to map out my furniture which seem like they should "fit" but I'm trying to get a sense of how its like living in a place this small. Anyone lived in a tiny apartment? Hows that like?

That is pretty damn small. What are the dimensions of your current space?

The Namekian

Nov 5, 2017
New York City

Apply to the Census they are paying $28 an hour

fallengorn

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City

If you don't have a lot of crap and you don't spend that much time at home it's fine.

This should give you an idea of what you can do with the space:

Deleted member 388

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

When I moved from a 1BR from queens to a studio in Manhattan I measured all my stuff and made a to scale PowerPoint. Measured any apartment I thought was a contender and saw if my stuff fit.

If you're cool what is essentially a slightly bigger dorm go for it. I always thought it was enough room when I was living in it. But always joked to guests that I lived under the stairs with Harry Potter.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
That is pretty damn small. What are the dimensions of your current space?

I dont exactly know but I think my living room is at least 300 sqft lol.

If you don't have a lot of crap and you don't spend that much time at home it's fine.

This should give you an idea of what you can do with the space:

Thanks for that video! I think a railroad style works for a small studio space that size. I never really paid attention to the layout of a unit before but now it seems like regardless of the sqft of the place, the shape of the livable area makes the most difference.

When I moved from a 1BR from queens to a studio in Manhattan I measured all my stuff and made a to scale PowerPoint. Measured any apartment I thought was a contender and saw if my stuff fit.

If you're cool what is essentially a slightly bigger dorm go for it. I always thought it was enough room when I was living in it. But always joked to guests that I lived under the stairs with Harry Potter.

Did you ever feel cabin fever or irritable due to the lack of space? I work from home often so thats one thing that I'm worried about.

Deleted member 388

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did you ever feel cabin fever or irritable due to the lack of space? I work from home often so thats one thing that I'm worried about.
I honestly recreated my highschool bedroom as my living room in Queens. Then when in Manhattan studio it was that plus bed close by. Never really felt I needed more space until I started living with someone else.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly recreated my highschool bedroom as my living room in Queens. Then when in Manhattan studio it was that plus bed close by. Never really felt I needed more space until I started living with someone else.

Gotcha. I kind of wanted to redo my college dorm layout as well and just add a small sofa somewhere but it looks like it will be impossible for my price range. I saw a few studios in person and it was just a lot smaller than I imagined it would be. My stuff would fit but my QoL would take a hit for sure.

I think I'm just gonna suck it up and splurge for another 1BR. My main goal is to leave my current building anyways. Trying to find a good combo of neighborhood, proximity to train, and building / unit quality has been really frustrating and makes me start to hate the city. My dream is have a large studio one day as I find a lot of comfort in having all my stuff in one room lol

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I am trying to help a close friend with some Manhattan research. She is looking at Greenwich Village as a potential place to move, but her and her husband expect to have a child in 3 or 4 years. How is the area for two working professionals with the plan of starting a small family?

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting seeing hundreds of people start crossing a street while it's still red because they know it will be green in 3 seconds.

OP
OP
B-Dubs

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I am trying to help a close friend with some Manhattan research. She is looking at Greenwich Village as a potential place to move, but her and her husband expect to have a child in 3 or 4 years. How is the area for two working professionals with the plan of starting a small family?
It's the area directly around New York University.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
When might be the next meetup be? Working in the city now, so would probably be able to participate whenever the next one comes around.

Is there a Discord or something to follow, or do they usually get organized in here