• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017

Previous NYC thread

Reboot thread? Reboot thread. HUGE thanks to bob page for for letting me use his already fantastic OP (I know you're out there lurking) but now with several updates to it . Also, thanks to Fallengorn for the subtitle.

Welcome to beautiful New York City,
home to NYU, Columbia University, CUNY/SUNY, several prominent art schools, famous local sports teams, Humans of New York, and pizza among the billions of things this restless city has to offer. We have a 110+ year old subway system that turns into a sauna in the summer with how hot it gets in there. We experience all four seasons, tourists love to come here in droves all year long but particularly more so in the summer, and we recently happen be the worst city in the US to retire in because of continually rising costs of living/rent. Queens, Bronx, Brooklyn, Staten Island, and Manhattan together form the 5 boroughs connected together by bridges, ferries, subway lines, and buses. Long Island is the suburban section of NYC where you get to see lots and lots of trees.

We're also BFFs with neighboring states New Jersey and Connecticut which together form the Tri-State area. Further upstate is Albany where all the state legislative magic happens as well places such as Buffalo, Oswego, New Paltz, and Lake Eerie among others. Further up north is our neighbor country, Canada with Toronto being the biggest city closest to us and Niagara Falls being the border town .

Our current Mayor is this guy:

220px-Bill_de_Blasio_11-2-2013.jpg

Our current Governor is this guy:

220px-Andrew_Cuomo_by_Pat_Arnow_cropped.jpeg

Eo0Zq.jpg

New Inc

Last edited:

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
What the hell is an NYC Era thread? That ball looks suspect and shamelessly stolen but it can and will be fixed.

I guess this is my welcome to the other side post so sup duders.

#NotMyBrazil. The Brazil we're referring to is an inside joke from the NYC Discord chat.

Kisaya

Oct 25, 2017
Hi homepals

I know I don't live in NYC anymore but I was very sad I never knew about the Discord :(

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Well the Discord banner has to get thrown into the OP in Email tags or it can be PM'ed as well. I wonder what the character limits are on OPs here. The OP needs a lot of work to return it to its former glory.

SwiftSweeper

Oct 25, 2017
Sup guys, I moved to NYC this July, so I am still learning the lay of the land. I am living in Woodside, Queens. I am excited for Halloween. :)

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
http://untappedcities.com/2017/10/2...rs-on-the-l-trains-3rd-avenue-station-in-nyc/

eDM9n78

In an ongoing effort to improve the New York City subway system, the L Train has been subjected to a series of tests by the MTA. New fold-up seats have recently made their debut and another feature may soon been introduced. According to amNewYork, the MTA will test platform doors on the L Train's Third Avenue station.

At the moment, the agency has not provided much information about the doors. However, Curbed NY notes that they will be installed during the L train shutdown, which will take place in April 2019. Thus far, the MTA has been "unreceptive" to the widespread use of platform doors, citing the age of the subway system and its lack of uniformity as the main issues preventing their installation. The MTA mentions four specific obstacles, including the space for an equipment room; curved tracks at stations; physical obstructions, such as columns, and the need for adequate power (not to mention the overall cost of project).

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
:o

Not that it affects me much. Work sends me a new metrocard each month.

Oct 25, 2017
The subway stop closest to my gym just closed down for 8 months, right in time to make me have to walk from a stop away in the winter.

That's the last straw Cuomo. I'm voting yes on the ConCon and rallying to have the post of governor removed forever. Goodbye.

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a native, I disagree with the title.

We are a massively provincial and self serving city.

Sup guys, I moved to NYC this July, so I am still learning the lay of the land. I am living in Woodside, Queens. I am excited for Halloween. :)

Woodside is an amazing neighborhood. Bordering Jackson heights and Sunnyside, the whole area is what I think is the best part of NYC.

Going to the village and seeing nothing but white people makes me sick.

Last edited:

SwiftSweeper

Oct 25, 2017
Woodside is an amazing neighborhood. Bordering Jackson heights and Sunnyside, the whole area is what I think is the best part of NYC.

Going to the village and seeing nothing but white people makes me sick.

Yeah : ), I love the neighborhood. There are a lot of cheap/good food. It is diverse. Bars are everywhere. I live 5 min from 7 and R/M subway stops and half block away from Roosevelt Ave. The rents are also reasonable by NYC standards. Overall, I am happy there.