• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dred

Oct 27, 2017
Trigger warnings: depression, suicide, suicidal thoughts, sexual abuse, rape, detailing of wounds.

-----

I had hoped to make this post sooner but was unable to. This rips through me, feels incredibly close to home and heartbreaking. I'm not sure how much I'll share but some of this stuff is only known by singular people in my personal life, but it could be important for members here right now. It might be rambling in parts but hopefully some might relate to elements of it.

I'll start by echoing a post of mine in an Etika thread before this:

Which sounds harsh, but hopefully everyone can now understand the severity with which we're talking. There should be no tolerance for it, it's disgusting and it costs lives.

I have been both the person suffering, and have tried to help others who suffer.

If you're any age and can relate to Etika's last video, general desperation or find yourself apart from the world drifting – it gets better. It can, it will, it does.

I wish I could show you how far down the well I was, so you understood the tears with which this ink is mixed. I've been to the top of multi-story car parks and stood on the edge, I've sat under trees in the forest crying wondering which I might hang from soon. Every week I drive over a bridge well-known for suicides and every time I do there's still a glint within me that asks if the world would be better if I did. I don't think it ever leaves you, but now I have a list of things that pop up when I think that, reasons to stay alive. Some days that list is shorter than others, but it's always there now and a number of those items are strong enough to where I don't have to worry any more. Which is why it is so important to me that you understand that it can get better, because there were many times where I didn't have that list in the road until now.

During my time at secondary school (ages 11-16) I was both sexually abused at the start, and I was bullied on a daily basis for close to four of the years. My offense was that I was born with ginger hair and needed glasses. Mix that with being pretty shy and coming off the back of everything sexual abuse brings, and I was a prime vector of attack. We're talking being spat on, kicked between the legs, pushed down flights of metal stairs, poled on the bus, punched, kicked, whatever. Every day of school, for years. Several occasions I was threatened with knives. Nothing happened to the bullies because "boys will be boys" and because it wasn't racially motivated.

So I grew up with an irreconcilable level of self-hatred, shame, guilt and a strong perception that the issue was me. After all, I was being broken on a daily basis purely for features of my body I was unable to change. It wasn't immediate, it wasn't overnight but with time that settled and it settled deep. I became an incredible liar and – as with many people suffering from depression – managed to perfect the wearing of masks. Every day I went home and smiled at my parents, said all was fine before going upstairs and breaking down into the pillows. Occasionally I couldn't make it to the bedroom before that, and my parents would see a crack of what was happening. I'd summarily dismiss it as being solely whatever had managed to escape at the time, before going upstairs and wondering how I could get a gun in the UK to put to my head.

---------
Trigger warnings: depression, suicide, suicidal thoughts, sexual abuse, rape, detailing of wounds.
---------

Which is another thing: suicide isn't taken seriously until it's committed to.

Unsuccessful suicide attempts are well known as being disregarded as attention seeking (for which I'll let the irony escape for now) but there's a further subset to where if you've only considered it but taken no action toward it then you really aren't being serious. Which needs to be challenged. Thinking of ending your own life isn't a simple one. People might want to die but few want to die in agony. This is about not living, not dying itself. If you jump from a bridge you risk tearing your body apart but surviving and living life crippled with zero ability. Pills are simple but seem horrific in their action except when coupled with alcohol, but again – you read too many stories about people surviving and coming too in the hospital having fucked their organs. A jump off of a tall building seems like the best way to go but the duration of the fall means you could regret it and be unable to reverse the decision, the same is true of hanging and bleeding out. A gun seems like the easy solution but then how do you find out how to do it well, because if you botch that then you're back with the above. Trains are the immediate solution but then you're impacting another, random, person with your already-waste-of-space life. I have spent a lot of time considering these things in the past.

This is what suicidal thoughts entertain, and it turns out that the human body is quite resilient. That dying is scary even when suicidal and that it's not a case of walking into the local supermarket and picking up the cheapest "erase me" kit. If you're not taking suicidal thoughts seriously before they become actions, then you need to change your mentality. There is no bar that people have to hit before they're "actually suicidal", and any of those barriers could crumble if a signfiicant additional blow is dealt to them in life.

Depression is your mind working against you

Why didn't they seek help? Why did they refuse help? Why did they just push people away that were trying to help? All of these show a massive ignorance towards what depression is like, and that's ok. We need to educate people, and mental illness is a conversation that has long been taboo. So ignorance is expected, but you have to be able to put aside your affront and recognise it's nothing compared to the inner turmoil the person is going through. Depression isn't logical and trying to approach it like it is won't help. When someone can't conceive their own self worth it's near impossible to believe that others can. Depression is your mind telling you that you deserve to feel this way. Depression is your mind telling you that help can only ever be temporary because you're the problem. Depression is your mind telling you to jump, because it's the only way to ensure nothing continues. It is your mind doubting every solution and labouring every negative, it is you telling you to kill yourself. It is the insidious trickery that forces you to live under that weight.

Thankfully I learned to break from it, and you can too. Councilling helps. Talking to people complete disconnected from your life helps.

When I was 16 I placed a bet with my friend at the time for £10 that I wouldn't live until 30. I couldn't see it. I was scraping by day by day purely for others and I couldn't conceive of a happy life so far into the future. It wasn't even dramatic, it was just a certainty to me.

Now I'm two months into being 30, and it's not been an easy road but I have that list and I love it. I have reasons to live outside of dependencies, I have things I love about life. I want to see, I want to travel, I want to experience. I'm in a good job, with a loving partner, in our own home. I live in a beautiful part of the country. We're getting a dog this year, and plan to get married and have children.

However none of that is what turned it around. I am not alive because of my SO (though she has been intrumental in her support of things I've shared). I am not alive because of my job. I am not alive because I have a nice house and money. These are all reasons I enjoy life, but they aren't what saved me. I am what saved me, and you are what will save you. Every day is a win. Every breath is a win. Every time you push those thoughts down enough to continue, it's a win. Every time you crack a little off the shell to let people know how you feel, is a win.

---------
---------

Perspective is what allows you to win, and it's what depression robs you of.

Talk to people who know nothing about you. Tell them. Be kind to yourself. Death is final and not going anywhere, so pushing through another day to see what it brings is an overwhelming success. Keep doing that and you will climb out of that well. Even if it seems like there's no footholds, they will come. You'll never lose the memory of being in it, but it's that that will give you the strength to resist it whenever it whispers to you. You just need to keep winning long enough to realise that you and that voice inside your head are not the same, and that you are the greater of the two.

Not everyone gets to that stage though.

Every time I think about this I cry. Every time I talk about it my voice cracks. Every time I feel an immense hole in my heart. It's been 13 years and I can still feel the warmth of the blood on my hands. This is about an incredible woman I once knew, who we'll call Amy here. Amy had been my friend for years and had supported me throughout. Though I could never appreciate it at the time, and only later gained the perspective to do so fully, she was intstrumental in my own survival. She was gentle and warm person but prone to the 'bad lads'. She was also extremely attractive which meant the bad lads went for her, and it meant a ridiculous amount in her acknowledgement of me at the time. She came from an abusive home and was truly a diamond in the rough, so she empathised with a lot of the hurt I was going through and never shied away from spending time with me when her peers would reject me.

Over the years she grew less confident and more timid. She was raped by a boyfriend, abused by another and constantly found herself only in relationships where she was little more than a plaque to her partner. I helped where I could but she withdrew signficantly over time. She started to self-harm, drink excessively and other things that numbed her pain. It killed me to see, but it was impossible to break when I lived miles away and she kept going home to an environment that wasn't safe and detrimental to her health.

One day at 9:37pm I received a text message. I'll never forget the words:

I'm scared. I'm alone. I've messed up. I don't know what to do :( help.

She didn't reply to the next one and I knew this wasn't a joke. I threw myself down the stairs and into the car and drove as fast as I could to where she was staying. No answer on the front door, so I hopped the fence and ran to the back which was open. I called out her name, nothing. I ran upstairs and I saw it. Red drips on the landing, red smears on the walls. I went into the bathroom and crumpled on there she was. Unnaturally white, blood everywhere and crumpled on the floor. I took off my shirt and jumper and did what I could to wrap her arms and stem the flow but I knew fucking zero about first aid. I held her, I screamed out into the street, I softly brushed her hair as she faded slumped against me, waiting for the ambulance. I couldn't save her.

I adored her. I still do. She would have been 30 like me this year, and she would have been the most amazing woman. She would have been the most loving mother, and she could have done so much good for the world.

She can't though, and it tears through me. I know that many people she reached out to for help didn't take it seriously, and I had to stand next to many at the funeral. She was mocked for it, she was called weak and an attention seeker. She was none of them.

---------
---------

So I literally beg of anyone to never hand-wave people that are coming out as being suicidal. Berid yourself of any personal bar of "seriousness" that a person has to hit before you take suggestions of suicide seriously, and make sure that every single one of your friends knows that you're there for them. Not in an unspoken way, say that shit to them. Tell them that if they ever feel down that you're there to talk to, regardless of how small or large it might be.

Suicide is still such a hush-subject that people – myself included – still can't openly talk about it even when we're not considering it, because of the baggage it brings. I can't tell anyone in my life chunks of the above currently. It would scare them, because they don't understand mental illness and have thankfully never suffered from it. Today I have to tone down the depression I experienced for the comfort of others, as were I to tell anyone close to me the knowledge that I once very much considered ending my life would apply a veneer instabilty that is neither accurate nor warranted.

This is not healthy. We must become much, much more accepting of suicide as a topic of conversation and as something people deal with. Otherwise we're all awkward on it until another person dies, and that's a horrific way to keep a conversation active. People need to start challenging their own preconceptions about it, need to start realising that suicidal people are people and that in each case you have an opportunity to help and an opportunity to harm.

It doesn't matter if it's a mocking comment on a forum that another depressed user might read or otherwise, it has an impact. It affects the way we, as a whole, treat suicide and it affects the avenues of help people have to survive using. If you find yourself willing to gamble over the life and death of people in misery, purely to throw a meme or a joke in, then you seriously need to reflect on that for a bit.
Incredible post, thank you for sharing, friend. One of the most moving posts I've read on era and I'm sure it will have a major impact on a lot of the posters here.

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
The highlighted sentence is the big problem I have with ResetEra, Reddit, and these other big forum spaces. These are toxic communities because people create VERY decisive, extreme opinions of people they knew VERY little about. With people we know in real life, we often create nuance. For example, I love my mother, but there are also many things I have trouble forgiving her for (like her making my life miserable when I came out as gay). There is tremendous nuance and complexity in our relationship. I love her more than anything and yet she has caused me some of the biggest betrayal and pain in my life. Same with my spouse, I treasure him but he cheated on me 3 weeks into our relationship. Life and relationships are complex and nuanced.

On here you get none of that nuance. Someone reads an article where a YouTube celebrity says the "f___t" word in a manic episode and that person is now suddenly an evil, "canceled" person that needs to be mocked, hated, and labeled from then on. Almost 3 decades of life off the computer is not even able to be assessed properly. All that matters is the negative snapshots gobbled by the online channels. Even though using the f___t word is hateful and wrong, the internet and its gazing scrutiny has no time for nuance and complexity, it is instead immediately judgmental. One time I posted here that my dog doesn't like going on walks, and I got called a dog abuser or not taking him out on walks multiple times a day. This person knew nothing about my life nor the fact that my dog had heartworms and vets orders to NOT do exercise, now I'm a dog abuser because of one poster being the judge and jury of my life. Multiply that audience by thousands, and I can see why Etika felt trapped and shamed by a community that should have handled him differently considering he was both suicidal AND bipolar.

Just take a look at some of the threads here. Someone asks for advice and posts an OP with a limited summary of information and posters immediately scrutinize and judge every detail looking for thread backfire fodder and reasons to "gotcha" the OP.

It's so absurd. I don't expect communities to become non-toxic overnight so my best solution is just to remain very private, vague, and low-stress in topics on the internet, because it gets very ugly here and elsewhere
really good post

Zoantharia

Oct 30, 2017
Been following his streams and videos since 2014. Can't claim to know him well, but I always knew him as a good guy with a genuine heart. I would write about the circumstances leading up to his passing, but I think other posters above have put it better than I ever could have. Let's be better to each other. RIP Etika.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i just saw his last video : Etika I am sorry video... i am crying at work.

I wasn't a fan of his personnality, but I always enjoyed watching his Nintendo direct reaction. Especially since I just saw the last one.

This video hits home. I am no suicidal, try to get all the help i can, but i am heavily depressed.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
I was shocked to read about this just now, I'm so busy at work I've been missing threads and missing news.. it's so sad. We are in a strange time where people are propelled to fame and scrutiny and all of the love and abuse that comes with it, we're all different and have different capacities to process our lives and cope with change, and honestly - I don't know how much that factored in with Erika, but I know he had some turbulent times and as with anything like this I only hope he didn't suffer and he's at peace. Very sad.

I will remember him for his enthusiasm and infectious, often hilarious levels of excitement. I felt like this too for example but I just didn't make the feeling so physical.. I loved watching this at the time. RIP

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's SonicFox's Tweets about Etika, so very true, mental heath needs to be a major focus for healthcare:

Rest well Etika. This is such a heartbreaking thing to see. People don't understand how important mental health is, especially when you reach that level of popularity. It's insanely hard to feel treated like a human being at that level, and I wish he had got the help he needed.

It's... really hard to talk to people when you reach that level. You just.. feel like you can't relate to anyone at that point, or nobody would understand you. I wish there was someone in his life that couldve continued to guide him no matter what he went through.

Im very careful what I say about people. You have no clue what you perceive as "little things" or "trolling" can have on a person's mental health. It may seem insignificant, but large amounts of it honestly just depresses you, especially with already not feeling like a person.

As someone already battling heavy depression and anxiety, it just wounds me to see someone like him with similar feelings to make a decision like that. I wish he knew that there were people in his life that couldve helped and guided him, no matter how hard the struggle was.

Even I get "those" thoughts, but my friends and family keep pushing me forward and treat me like a person. I only wish he knew the same as well. If anyone of you ever feel this way, just know that there are always people out there watching you, and they will guide you as well.

Simon21

Apr 25, 2018
Personally I'd hoped that the lesson the mods learned from this wouldn't be to just hand out some token bans until this particular episode blew over.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
Personally I'd hoped that the lesson the mods learned from this wouldn't be to just hand out some token bans until this particular episode blew over.

Personally I would hope people making these kinds of posts would offer actual suggestions for what they think is a more appropriate or improved response to make the forum better for everyone, but I guess it's easier to make flip comments than it is to try to solve a problem.

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ABC News has reported that the New York City's Office of the Chief Medical Examiner has officially ruled Etika's death as a suicide :(

RIP Etika, your enthusiasm and positive energy will be missed on YouTube and Twitch.

The death of popular YouTube gaming personality Desmond "Etika" Amofah has been ruled a suicide, according to New York City's Office of the Chief Medical Examiner.

Deleted member 12867

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Personally I would hope people making these kinds of posts would offer actual suggestions for what they think is a more appropriate or improved response to make the forum better for everyone, but I guess it's easier to make flip comments than it is to try to solve a problem.
I don't care either way about the retroactive bans, but I would like to see moderation protecting mental illness with the same relentlessness that they do to protect other people. Also we should discuss whether allowing cancel culture is any different from any other sort of online harassment. People fuck up it's life like we can be critical without trying to ruin them completely. I know other people will be against this as they like to dehumanize them and do everything in their power to ruin the persons life.

Bunga

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

-----

I had hoped to make this post sooner but was unable to. This rips through me, feels incredibly close to home and heartbreaking. I'm not sure how much I'll share but some of this stuff is only known by singular people in my personal life, but it could be important for members here right now. It might be rambling in parts but hopefully some might relate to elements of it.

Which sounds harsh, but hopefully everyone can now understand the severity with which we're talking. There should be no tolerance for it, it's disgusting and it costs lives.

I have been both the person suffering, and have tried to help others who suffer.

If you're any age and can relate to Etika's last video, general desperation or find yourself apart from the world drifting – it gets better. It can, it will, it does.

I wish I could show you how far down the well I was, so you understood the tears with which this ink is mixed. I've been to the top of multi-story car parks and stood on the edge, I've sat under trees in the forest crying wondering which I might hang from soon. Every week I drive over a bridge well-known for suicides and every time I do there's still a glint within me that asks if the world would be better if I did. I don't think it ever leaves you, but now I have a list of things that pop up when I think that, reasons to stay alive. Some days that list is shorter than others, but it's always there now and a number of those items are strong enough to where I don't have to worry any more. Which is why it is so important to me that you understand that it can get better, because there were many times where I didn't have that list in the road until now.

During my time at secondary school (ages 11-16) I was both sexually abused at the start, and I was bullied on a daily basis for close to four of the years. My offense was that I was born with ginger hair and needed glasses. Mix that with being pretty shy and coming off the back of everything sexual abuse brings, and I was a prime vector of attack. We're talking being spat on, kicked between the legs, pushed down flights of metal stairs, poled on the bus, punched, kicked, whatever. Every day of school, for years. Several occasions I was threatened with knives. Nothing happened to the bullies because "boys will be boys" and because it wasn't racially motivated.

So I grew up with an irreconcilable level of self-hatred, shame, guilt and a strong perception that the issue was me. After all, I was being broken on a daily basis purely for features of my body I was unable to change. It wasn't immediate, it wasn't overnight but with time that settled and it settled deep. I became an incredible liar and – as with many people suffering from depression – managed to perfect the wearing of masks. Every day I went home and smiled at my parents, said all was fine before going upstairs and breaking down into the pillows. Occasionally I couldn't make it to the bedroom before that, and my parents would see a crack of what was happening. I'd summarily dismiss it as being solely whatever had managed to escape at the time, before going upstairs and wondering how I could get a gun in the UK to put to my head.

---------
---------

Unsuccessful suicide attempts are well known as being disregarded as attention seeking (for which I'll let the irony escape for now) but there's a further subset to where if you've only considered it but taken no action toward it then you really aren't being serious. Which needs to be challenged. Thinking of ending your own life isn't a simple one. People might want to die but few want to die in agony. This is about not living, not dying itself. If you jump from a bridge you risk tearing your body apart but surviving and living life crippled with zero ability. Pills are simple but seem horrific in their action except when coupled with alcohol, but again – you read too many stories about people surviving and coming too in the hospital having fucked their organs. A jump off of a tall building seems like the best way to go but the duration of the fall means you could regret it and be unable to reverse the decision, the same is true of hanging and bleeding out. A gun seems like the easy solution but then how do you find out how to do it well, because if you botch that then you're back with the above. Trains are the immediate solution but then you're impacting another, random, person with your already-waste-of-space life. I have spent a lot of time considering these things in the past.

This is what suicidal thoughts entertain, and it turns out that the human body is quite resilient. That dying is scary even when suicidal and that it's not a case of walking into the local supermarket and picking up the cheapest "erase me" kit. If you're not taking suicidal thoughts seriously before they become actions, then you need to change your mentality. There is no bar that people have to hit before they're "actually suicidal", and any of those barriers could crumble if a signfiicant additional blow is dealt to them in life.

Why didn't they seek help? Why did they refuse help? Why did they just push people away that were trying to help? All of these show a massive ignorance towards what depression is like, and that's ok. We need to educate people, and mental illness is a conversation that has long been taboo. So ignorance is expected, but you have to be able to put aside your affront and recognise it's nothing compared to the inner turmoil the person is going through. Depression isn't logical and trying to approach it like it is won't help. When someone can't conceive their own self worth it's near impossible to believe that others can. Depression is your mind telling you that you deserve to feel this way. Depression is your mind telling you that help can only ever be temporary because you're the problem. Depression is your mind telling you to jump, because it's the only way to ensure nothing continues. It is your mind doubting every solution and labouring every negative, it is you telling you to kill yourself. It is the insidious trickery that forces you to live under that weight.

Thankfully I learned to break from it, and you can too. Councilling helps. Talking to people completely disconnected from your life helps.

When I was 16 I placed a bet with my friend at the time for £10 that I wouldn't live until 30. I couldn't see it. I was scraping by day by day purely for others and I couldn't conceive of a happy life so far into the future. It wasn't even dramatic, it was just a certainty to me.

Now I'm two months into being 30, and it's not been an easy road but I have that list and I love it. I have reasons to live outside of dependencies, I have things I love about life. I want to see, I want to travel, I want to experience. I'm in a good job, with a loving partner, in our own home. I live in a beautiful part of the country. We're getting a dog this year, and plan to get married and have children.

However none of that is what turned it around. I am not alive because of my SO (though she has been instrumental in her support of things I've shared). I am not alive because of my job. I am not alive because I have a nice house and money. These are all reasons I enjoy life, but they aren't what saved me. I am what saved me, and you are what will save you. Every day is a win. Every breath is a win. Every time you push those thoughts down enough to continue, it's a win. Every time you crack a little off the shell to let people know how you feel, is a win.

---------
---------

Talk to people who know nothing about you. Tell them. Be kind to yourself. Death is final and not going anywhere, so pushing through another day to see what it brings is an overwhelming success. Keep doing that and you will climb out of that well. Even if it seems like there's no footholds, they will come. You'll never lose the memory of being in it, but it's that that will give you the strength to resist it whenever it whispers to you. You just need to keep winning long enough to realise that you and that voice inside your head are not the same, and that you are the greater of the two.

Every time I think about this I cry. Every time I talk about it my voice cracks. Every time I feel an immense hole in my heart. It's been 13 years and I can still feel the warmth of the blood on my hands. This is about an incredible woman I once knew, who we'll call Amy here. Amy had been my friend for years and had supported me throughout. Though I could never appreciate it at the time, and only later gained the perspective to do so fully, she was instrumental in my own survival. She was gentle and warm person but prone to the 'bad lads'. She was also extremely attractive which meant the bad lads went for her, and it meant a ridiculous amount in her acknowledgement of me at the time. She came from an abusive home and was truly a diamond in the rough, so she empathised with a lot of the hurt I was going through and never shied away from spending time with me when her peers would reject me.

Over the years she grew less confident and more timid. She was raped by a boyfriend, abused by another and constantly found herself only in relationships where she was little more than a plaque to her partner. I helped where I could but she withdrew signficantly over time. She started to self-harm, drink excessively and other things that numbed her pain. It killed me to see, but it was impossible to break when I lived miles away and she kept going home to an environment that wasn't safe and detrimental to her health.

She didn't reply to the next one and I knew this wasn't a joke. I threw myself down the stairs and into the car and drove as fast as I could to where she was staying. No answer on the front door, so I hopped the fence and ran to the back which was open. I called out her name, nothing. I ran upstairs and I saw it. Red drips on the landing, red smears on the walls. I went into the bathroom and there she was. Unnaturally white, blood everywhere and crumpled on the floor. I took off my shirt and jumper and did what I could to wrap her arms and stem the flow but I knew fucking zero about first aid. I held her, I screamed out into the street, I softly brushed her hair as she faded slumped against me, waiting for the ambulance. I couldn't save her.

I adored her. I still do. She would have been 30 like me this year, and she would have been the most amazing woman. She would have been the most loving mother, and she could have done so much good for the world.

She can't though, and it tears through me. I know that many people she reached out to for help didn't take it seriously, and I had to stand next to many at the funeral. She was mocked for it, she was called weak and an attention seeker. She was none of them.

---------
---------

So I literally beg of anyone to never hand-wave people that are coming out as being suicidal. Berid yourself of any personal bar of "seriousness" that a person has to hit before you take suggestions of suicide seriously, and make sure that every single one of your friends knows that you're there for them. Not in an unspoken way, say that shit to them. Tell them that if they ever feel down that you're there to talk to, regardless of how small or large it might be.

Suicide is still such a hush-subject that people – myself included – still can't openly talk about it even when we're not considering it, because of the baggage it brings. I can't tell anyone in my life chunks of the above currently. It would scare them, because they don't understand mental illness and have thankfully never suffered from it. Today I have to tone down the depression I experienced for the comfort of others, as were I to tell anyone close to me that I once very much considered ending my life it would immediately apply a veneer of instabilty that is neither accurate nor warranted.

This is not healthy. We must become much, much more accepting of suicide as a topic of conversation and as something people deal with. Otherwise we're all awkward on it until another person dies, and that's a horrific way to keep a conversation active. People need to start challenging their own preconceptions about it, need to start realising that suicidal people are people and that in each case you have an opportunity to help and an opportunity to harm.

It doesn't matter if it's a mocking comment on a forum that another depressed user might read or otherwise, it has an impact. It affects the way we, as a whole, treat suicide and it affects the avenues of help people have to survive using. If you find yourself willing to gamble over the life and death of people in misery, purely to throw a meme or a joke in, then you seriously need to reflect on that for a bit.

This is an incredible post. I think you'll have helped some people with this. Thanks for sharing and take care.

Friskyrum

Jun 25, 2019
Woke up this morning and I still can't get this out of my mind... it hurts. Where ever he is I hope he's happy. :(

Who knew someone you've never had a interaction with in your life could affect you so much.

airbagged_

Jan 21, 2019
Charleston, SC

-----

---------
---------

Thankfully I learned to break from it, and you can too. Councilling helps. Talking to people completely disconnected from your life helps.

However none of that is what turned it around. I am not alive because of my SO (though she has been instrumental in her support of things I've shared). I am not alive because of my job. I am not alive because I have a nice house and money. These are all reasons I enjoy life, but they aren't what saved me. I am what saved me, and you are what will save you. Every day is a win. Every breath is a win. Every time you push those thoughts down enough to continue, it's a win. Every time you crack a little off the shell to let people know how you feel, is a win.

---------
---------

Every time I think about this I cry. Every time I talk about it my voice cracks. Every time I feel an immense hole in my heart. It's been 13 years and I can still feel the warmth of the blood on my hands. This is about an incredible woman I once knew, who we'll call Amy here. Amy had been my friend for years and had supported me throughout. Though I could never appreciate it at the time, and only later gained the perspective to do so fully, she was instrumental in my own survival. She was gentle and warm person but prone to the 'bad lads'. She was also extremely attractive which meant the bad lads went for her, and it meant a ridiculous amount in her acknowledgement of me at the time. She came from an abusive home and was truly a diamond in the rough, so she empathised with a lot of the hurt I was going through and never shied away from spending time with me when her peers would reject me.

She didn't reply to the next one and I knew this wasn't a joke. I threw myself down the stairs and into the car and drove as fast as I could to where she was staying. No answer on the front door, so I hopped the fence and ran to the back which was open. I called out her name, nothing. I ran upstairs and I saw it. Red drips on the landing, red smears on the walls. I went into the bathroom and there she was. Unnaturally white, blood everywhere and crumpled on the floor. I took off my shirt and jumper and did what I could to wrap her arms and stem the flow but I knew fucking zero about first aid. I held her, I screamed out into the street, I softly brushed her hair as she faded slumped against me, waiting for the ambulance. I couldn't save her.

---------
---------

Suicide is still such a hush-subject that people – myself included – still can't openly talk about it even when we're not considering it, because of the baggage it brings. I can't tell anyone in my life chunks of the above currently. It would scare them, because they don't understand mental illness and have thankfully never suffered from it. Today I have to tone down the depression I experienced for the comfort of others, as were I to tell anyone close to me that I once very much considered ending my life it would immediately apply a veneer of instabilty that is neither accurate nor warranted.

Saving this.

Simon21

Apr 25, 2018
I don't care either way about the retroactive bans, but I would like to see moderation protecting mental illness with the same relentlessness that they do to protect other people. Also we should discuss whether allowing cancel culture is any different from any other sort of online harassment. People fuck up it's life like we can be critical without trying to ruin them completely. I know other people will be against this as they like to dehumanize them and do everything in their power to ruin the persons life.

^^^
Allowing open discussion of moderation by people who use the site and care about the openness and standard of discussion within it would help too.

As someone who personally suffers from mental health problems, bringing down mindless bans on people asking genuine, good faith questions doesn't fill me with hope that they actually understand what many people's issues are.

The problem in the previous Etika thread was that people were allowed to dehumanise, with absolute impunity, an individual with severe mental health issues because he used hurtful words while going through a particularly bad time.

I want that sort of thing to be stamped down on and I want the ability for the people who primarily use this site to discuss and steer the way it is run and moderated, not for people who don't speak English as their first language to be banned for using an unfortunate phrase in a genuine attempt at empathy and understanding. That's just an extension of the "cancel culture" that eventually leads to people feeling comfortable wishing death upon Etika.

I would despise being genuinely told to "just man up", but that's clearly a world away from what that poster was trying to say.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

-----

---------
---------

---------
---------

---------
---------

Thank you for this incredible and brave post.

Nov 13, 2017
This is making the rounds on Twitter.

Does Twitch have an option to only let paid subscribers messages show up in the chat? I feel like that would be a good start to cut back on the hate.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Man I am still tearing up everytime I think about Etika and realising that the last Nintendo Direct was his final reaction. For me his reaction videos were always the place to go after a Direct concluded. I will really miss him :(

Erimriv

Oct 30, 2017

-----

---------
---------

---------
---------

---------
---------

Im glad to be a resetera member just to read this kind of post. Brave you and brave message! Encouraging. Im dealing with depression, I have medical supervision and getting better. Thank you for this.

Nov 13, 2017

Bunga

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
While I don't know if subscriber-only streams are the answer (that would limit a channel's growth, although it is a nice incentive to subscribe), I do think that some kind of feature where comments from only people who are paying to subscribe to you are visible to you and others during your stream.

Streamers and their mods can put channels into sub-only mode at any point they like as far as I'm aware. So those who have not subscribed cannot chat. Some streamers have this on by default, I think Shroud might even be one of them but I may be wrong on that. It's used mostly by streamers who have people chatting shit in their channel and they use it to shut it down quickly without mass banning or they simply have too big a viewership to feel that they can actually communicate with it as the chat moves too fast.

The BLJ

Feb 2, 2019
France
Don't retroactively ban people (and especially not retroactive bans that mean nothing - only one month?), but embrace the spirit of forgiveness that Era specifically lacks and just have better guidelines and rules from now on.
Handing out bans like candy because people made a grave error of judgment is not the way to go. Frankly, I think that knowing that the guy they were shitting on just recently ended up really killing himself is punishment enough for most people. And the problem of Era is that "cancel culture" and mob mentality are abnormally common and encouraged, not that not enough people are getting banned for being twats.
Of course I am not saying that moderation needs to be lax and soft. But I see too many people who get banned while they're in the middle of making a point, or people who get banned for a minor thing but who don't have a high post count, or people who get dogpiled on for unimportant things by the whole thread while the mods watch.
Don't hand out bans as the first option so often. Maybe look into an user's recent post history to see whether their behavior or arguments are consistent (if they're not, maybe something's going on). Don't let insults fly by so easily as well - sometimes personal attacks get a free pass and sometimes they get an instant warning or even ban, what's the issue here? And have a moderation team that is accessible. How many people get PM'd by a moderator if they're acting strange? Why is it impossible to have any contact with the moderation if one is banned? I don't know, I feel like permabans are handed out way too easily. Getting a "strict" response from either the forum, the moderators, or both, is the issue here, in my opinion. But maybe I'm too much of an utopian here...

Changing topic, because I don't want to make a post solely about stupid Internet forum drama.
I feel so immensely sad for Etika, man. I've said it earlier in the thread but I've been there too - I've tried to jump off a bridge, and that was not my first suicide attempt either. He felt too much pain from all sides and found this to be the only way out. He actually went ahead, acknowledged everything his life was, acknowledged the gravity of what suicide would mean, and still jumped. Now he's a lifeless corpse, there's nothing left of him as far as we are concerned. Poor, poor Etika... He is gone now, and we are left, but by not helping him, we killed him. Or rather, we let his torments take hold of him, instead of giving him even the smallest drop of water we could. Hopefully this raises awareness of mental health, but either way Etika is dead. We're guilty (I don't mean Era in particular but all the forums that didn't take him that seriously), because we saw it as a game. A public figure does X and we either respond with appallment or fucking idiotic memes. But people are not games, they are as complex and difficult to handle as you or I, and the way social media has simplified and caricatured human interactions has been killing many people, slower or faster.

Deleted member 12867

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While I don't know if subscriber-only streams are the answer (that would limit a channel's growth, although it is a nice incentive to subscribe), I do think that some kind of feature where comments from only people who are paying to subscribe to you are visible to you and others during your stream.
Sub only chat has been available for a very long time.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

-----

---------
---------

---------
---------

---------
---------

A frank, moving and saddening post, huge thanks and respect for sharing Kyuuji. I know only too well some of which you speak.
I've tried to type a hundred things here Kyuuji, trying to find that "something" something right to help you, me and others and I find myself unable. Just, thanks for sharing.
Love to everyone touched by whats happened or who struggle themselves, we are not alone, you are not alone & every day it gets better.

pokéfan

Oct 25, 2017
This is making me sad and depressed every time I see this thread or Etika's name elsewhere, not only a life has been lost, we have lost one of the greatest entertainers and a incredible person. His hype was something to behold and would bring happiness to anyone watching him.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
In hindsight, him punching the cop was obviously him trying to commit suicide. He denied it afterwards, but it was pretty clear what he was going for. I wish the system would've done something about it. He needed help badly. I have no idea how he got off the hook for that.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
This is so sad. Everyone deserves support for their mental health struggles. Society is so far from where it needs to be on these issues.

ElOdyssey

Oct 30, 2017
I honestly still can't believe this happened. I re-watched his "suicide note" video and choked up when he started saying he will be missing out on some anime and seeing some kids growing up.
Rest in peace Etika, I hope this leads to at least some assholes thinking about mental health, but I doubt it.

My favorite reaction from him, character or not, dude had a passion for Nintendo.

When he said "is this the timeline we are in!?" when they revealed Ridley made me sad.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
This entire thread is moving, I wish Etika were here to see it and see the stories he's inspired people to share from his pain. A massive tragedy, and whenever I watch a video of him it's all I can think as to what a loss it is.

Thank you for sharing this. I relate to it a lot.
You're right, people need to stop shaming suicidal thoughts or people and saying "well, it's not serious until you ACTUALLY try to take your own life." That just leads to suicidal people becoming more isolated and more tempted and shamed by their thoughts.
Exactly that. It affirms some need for validation for your thoughts. People think self-harm just lands out of nowhere but it's directly bolstered by this sentiment. Thoughts are not enough, action is needed. Then when action is performed, it is mocked and derided for not actually trying to kill yourself, for not being a serious attempt. When you get to that point, it should be a surprise for noone what avenue is left.

Incredible post Kyuuji, thank you for sharing and I am sorry for your loss. Even after all this time I can imagine it is very difficult to go back to that time mentally, so again thank you.
You are one of my favorite posters on here, I hope you are aware of how much of a valued member of this community you are.
Well, this went straight to the heart lol. Thank you Chaz, crypto days are fond times and you taking the time to say this means a lot.
A frank, moving and saddening post, huge thanks and respect for sharing Kyuuji. I know only too well some of which you speak.
I've tried to type a hundred things here Kyuuji, trying to find that "something" something right to help you, me and others and I find myself unable. Just, thanks for sharing.
Love to everyone touched by whats happened or who struggle themselves, we are not alone, you are not alone & every day it gets better.
Which means more than you could ever have typed. Thank you Lampy, you wonderful friend – you've put smiles on my face before and I appreciate you. I hope that you can resolve, or have resolved, some of the things you're shouldering. If you ever need to unbind, just let me know.

WordsintheWater Bunga dred airbagged_
Thank you, the words of support mean a lot. Many here have faced worse and shared stories in the thread, without them I wouldn't have been able to post anything.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Im glad to be a resetera member just to read this kind of post. Brave you and brave message! Encouraging. Im dealing with depression, I have medical supervision and getting better. Thank you for this.
Thank you. I'm so happy you're getting better and sought help. Cherish that, honour it and be proud of yourself. You can do it, I can tell just from the way you're handling it now. Never lose sight of the miles you've travelled if you have have a dip. If reaching out would ever help, don't hesitate.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Lots of men die never really showing their true selves, think about that.

They die wearing a mask. A mask of masculinity.

It's the biggest plight guys face today and unironically only guys can really fix it.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
They both seem to be a full circle that's soaked in performative wokeness that never really... helps anything.
Yeah. They both seem based in the idea that anything disagreeable should be met with cultural annihilation without question no matter how honest and simple the "mistake" being targeted.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
This still feels so unreal to me. Whenever I see the headlines I just go blank, like I'm being lied to.

I think it's the fact that people have been joking and gossiping about this for three months that really brings it home. We knew how it was going to end. It's sickening.

Oct 27, 2017
I am humbled by all the strong people in this thread opening up. I'll never no the pain you feel, and I don't know anything about depression. But if anyone needs someone to talk to never hesitate to PM me.

You're all needed, and loved.

threi

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario, Canada
I was banned in the other thread for wrongfully blurting out that etika wasn't worthy of empathy since all I could think about was the negative reports of the things he said and did. In fact, that was all I was exposed to when it came to him. I didn't watch his content and didn't follow his struggles. The way I knew of him was from sources that were trying to tear him down, and well that easily became my opinion too since many things I read were upsetting to me.

He never seemed mentally ill though from the distance I was seeing him at. I just saw him as excruciatingly immature to the point where I thought he was a stunted Youtuber looking for any attention and not aware of how he was impacting others in his worse moments. And also as nothing more than a character he plays known as "etika" .... which made it hard to see him as the actual person, Desmond, that was burning himself to the ground as a cry for help. So many of us made this mistake and I really wish I could have seen through him to know he was actually a good guy going through an inner struggle.

Hearing about his death was very sad and I regret the negative feelings I had towards him when he was alive. I knew little about him, but social media makes it that you know just enough about the person to hate them if nothing else. I'm really sorry I fell into that cycle of thinking with etika, who needed help and ended up being taken by such negativity. But I'm going to be better towards others in these situations, I just hope his suicide reached others to change them in the same.
Thank you for this. Owning up to your mistakes is the best outcome for everybody in the future.

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017

-----

---------
---------

---------
---------

---------
---------

Thank you for this post Kyu, it definitely gave me some much needed insight. Hope you're doing well.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
They both seem to be a full circle that's soaked in performative wokeness that never really... helps anything.
Yeah. They both seem based in the idea that anything disagreeable should be met with cultural annihilation without question no matter how honest and simple the "mistake" being targeted.
I'm having a hard time with this commentary then because I am exposed to "outrage culture" used largely in the form of anti-SJW dogwhistling or misrepresenting concerned people wanting to have a discussion as being hysterical, so this naturally raises a few red flags in my head. Which isn't to say the people posting in that last thread were in the right - it's definitely an example of a trend that needs to be addressed, and reading it when it was linked to me a few days ago sunk my heart and I am 100% in support of the bans - but maybe we ought not adopt that kind of language in our critique, particularly since there are handfuls of bad actors who are eager to use it as an in to undermine the rest of this community who just want their voices heard. It is very hard, knowing what I know about outside groups' focus on Era, to see this kind of commentary and feel comfortable standing up alongside it, against those who I may agree with on a certain level but who I also might feel are going too far. I have had enough experience doing that on other forums only to realize I was contributing to a lowkey harassment campaign or silencing attempt to not want to take that risk any more. These are simply things to keep in mind.

Kyuuji reading your post brought me to tears. I know all too well those little inconveniences which prevent today from being The Day. The biggest one for me is knowing everyone is going to discuss it to no end when really (when I feel this way, I've been doing good lately) I just want to make a clean escape when it's time. Ironic, since the family gossip and improper rationalizing is partially why I feel the desire to escape in the first place.

This shit's so tough. On both ends. I've seen numerous friends go down treacherous paths due to mental illness, and there's always that point where it's obvious they've gone beyond where anyone knows how to get through to them. And you try so hard.... but they just smile and continue on as if it's as ordinary as going out for groceries.

It's really hard to remember that it gets better. Especially when it feels like the getting better is only within us, and everything around us keeps seeming to go to shit.

airbagged_

Jan 21, 2019
Charleston, SC
I'm having a hard time with this commentary then because I am exposed to "outrage culture" used largely in the form of anti-SJW dogwhistling or misrepresenting concerned people wanting to have a discussion as being hysterical, so this naturally raises a few red flags in my head. Which isn't to say the people posting in that last thread were in the right - it's definitely an example of a trend that needs to be addressed, and reading it when it was linked to me a few days ago sunk my heart and I am 100% in support of the bans - but maybe we ought not adopt that kind of language in our critique, particularly since there are handfuls of bad actors who are eager to use it as an in to undermine the rest of this community who just want their voices heard. It is very hard, knowing what I know about outside groups' focus on Era, to see this kind of commentary and feel comfortable standing up alongside it, against those who I may agree with on a certain level but who I also might feel are going too far. I have had enough experience doing that on other forums only to realize I was contributing to a lowkey harassment campaign or silencing attempt to not want to take that risk any more. These are simply things to keep in mind.

I totally agree with you and while my response came off abrasive, I feel like there's been a lot of bad faith with people using that guise of being a good/civil person to brigade on those who made real mistakes. There's a clear difference between a measured response and "this person is going to go through a purity test just because I disagree with them." Didn't mean to derail the thread or anything, I kept my opinions to myself on the previous Etika threads because I truly didn't know what was going on and didn't want to dogpile.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I love that people are sharing the best moments from his streams and photos. But to me it just feels strange and sad to watch them now. I can't watch it anymore.

I just wish he could have seen this ammount of love instead of those clown memes and such... not pointing fingers, its human nature after all I guess, we only give the proper value to things after they are gone.

Damn, this sucks.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
I totally agree with you and while my response came off abrasive, I feel like there's been a lot of bad faith with people using that guise of being a good/civil person to brigade on those who made real mistakes. There's a clear difference between a measured response and "this person is going to go through a purity test just because I disagree with them." Didn't mean to derail the thread or anything, I kept my opinions to myself on the previous Etika threads because I truly didn't know what was going on and didn't want to dogpile.
Absolutely. Since he lost his YouTube channel I didn't have the stomach to read past the OP in most Etika threads. I think the last one I opened (until someone brought his I'm Sorry video thread up to me) was the first time he had an incident with the police. I can't even remember which specific instance that one was. But the nature of the discussion was already inappropriate and I couldn't do it.

EDIT: my phone often doesn't work properly on Era so I hit send too soon. Apologies:

I can see that there have been people who go too far when someone makes a mistake. And it's important that we call that out. But again, it's very hard when the other side of that discussion often reads like a GAF raid party.

Tbh that is emblematic of most discourse around here - threads about hot topics regularly devolve into a dichotomous framing and you will be shuffled onto a side regardless of if you agree with either. Words get put in mouths, generalizations get made, Era is both too progressive and not progressive enough. And those sides usually have nothing to do with the groups who are being affected by the topic. Their voices get drowned out.

Last edited: