• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Which means more than you could ever have typed. Thank you Lampy, you wonderful friend – you've put smiles on my face before and I appreciate you. I hope that you can resolve, or have resolved, some of the things you're shouldering. If you ever need to unbind, just let me know.

I will do, and same to you. You know how it is, the tendrils are there especially with self doubt and trying to be open. I couldn't even imagine I would ever dream about a future for so long. I have a wife and 2 wonderful Daughters who can delight me in such ways. It's good, its hard too but easier, every day a little easier.
Sorry I struggled just as much to pen this, especially since your reply made me cry :D I've enjoyed every interaction we've had here so far and I truly look forward to many more, and I can't wait to hear how your children have delighted you.

Last edited:

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
Dude had a lot to say and got banned (now rescinded, fair enough) almost straight away because of a buzz phrase. It's an unhelpful one for sure, but it being like a red rag to a bull and worthy of a straight up ban? Not for me. People are allowed to be hurt, to not like the phrase, entirely understandable. But that kind of outright dismissing everything and being hostile because of problematic things is why the original etika thread was such a mess in the first place.

It's sort of a complicated subject. With a lot of topics that people are sensitive to there are certain words which are certainly very hurtful; but when it comes to mental illness and particularly people who are currently feeling vulnerable and suicidal certain words and triggers can be genuinely dangerous. I'm glad the mods were willing to reconsider when they decided the user was here to discuss in good faith, but I would honestly rather a small handful of people get wrongfully banned rather than people say things that could potentially result in people being very dangerously hurt and have that go unchecked.

I don't think it's because it's problematic, but rather that when it comes to the topic of mental health things that are problematic are also potentially dangerous.

I was banned in the other thread for wrongfully blurting out that etika wasn't worthy of empathy since all I could think about was the negative reports of the things he said and did. In fact, that was all I was exposed to when it came to him. I didn't watch his content and didn't follow his struggles. The way I knew of him was from sources that were trying to tear him down, and well that easily became my opinion too since many things I read were upsetting to me.

He never seemed mentally ill though from the distance I was seeing him at. I just saw him as excruciatingly immature to the point where I thought he was a stunted Youtuber looking for any attention and not aware of how he was impacting others in his worse moments. And also as nothing more than a character he plays known as "etika" .... which made it hard to see him as the actual person, Desmond, that was burning himself to the ground as a cry for help. So many of us made this mistake and I really wish I could have seen through him to know he was actually a good guy going through an inner struggle.

Hearing about his death was very sad and I regret the negative feelings I had towards him when he was alive. I knew little about him, but social media makes it that you know just enough about the person to hate them if nothing else. I'm really sorry I fell into that cycle of thinking with etika, who needed help and ended up being taken by such negativity. But I'm going to be better towards others in these situations, I just hope his suicide reached others to change them in the same.

I really hope one good thing this could lead to is a lot more people reevaluating like this. Thank you.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of men die never really showing their true selves, think about that.

They die wearing a mask. A mask of masculinity.

It's the biggest plight guys face today and unironically only guys can really fix it.
Guys screw up each other's minds by pushing the bogus narrative that you gotta be "tough," you gotta be "cool," etc.

Just... be kind to others, first and foremost. And beyond that, be yourself. Don't march to anyone's beat but your own.

This includes being vulnerable. Honestly, it's a sign of strength to be able to show one's feelings on the outside.

If manhood is "strength," then maybe true strength should be seen as being yourself and being kind to others.

As for Etika's passing, if any good comes of it, hopefully it's that we realize a true progressive strives to see humanity in all.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
This guy needs to be banned forever
20190626_174051.png

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I can understand that everybody has a different story, but what are the contributing factors? Maybe you are right, and i can not understand it because i don't feel that way. Yes the hurt and pain is there, but i process and coop with it differently. Is it then will or willpower, or no self worth?
What you don't understand is that people have no control over their brain chemistry. See there is such a thing as irrational depression.

It's what makes people who seem to "have it all" be miserable wrecks. And it's a nightmare because your logical centers completely understand that you shouldn't be feeling as bad as you are. But you just are. There is no escaping it.

Yes a hard life can make a person depressed and damaged. It's natural. But healthy minded people such as yourself don't understand the silent killer type of depression that is just bad luck of the genetic draw.

I wake up every day knowing that no improvement of my life situation will make me feel better in that way, and the pills only go so far. The prospect of living this way for decades is a mountain of dead weight and darkness upon on my shoulders. I'll stop now, but do you get what I'm saying? There are no bootstraps for me to pull.

Staying alive for other's sake is difficult. That is why some can't keep going. But that doesn't make them weak, or cowards. The people dealing with depression and mental illness are the strongest people you'll ever come across, I promise you. The willpower it takes to deal with what those around you don't want to believe exists could move mountains.

I appreciate you wanting to know, because it's a hard thing to understand. You know the sky is blue but to me it's purple. I am glad you are ignorant tbh, because I don't wish the struggle and suffering on anyone.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Guys screw up each other's minds by pushing the bogus narrative that you gotta be "tough," you gotta be "cool," etc.

Just... be kind to others, first and foremost. And beyond that, be yourself. Don't march to anyone's beat but your own.

This includes being vulnerable. Honestly, it's a sign of strength to be able to show one's feelings on the outside.

If manhood is "strength," then maybe true strength should be seen as being yourself and being kind to others.

As for Etika's passing, if any good comes of it, hopefully it's that we realize a true progressive strives to see humanity in all.

It's not easy to come to terms with at all. But we can take this steps to get somewhere better than where we were before. I know I have, this Etika situation had me doing some introspection.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I kind of wish people were kinder on Etika related topics when he was still alive. Felt very much like people didn't care/didn't have much to say about him whenever a thread came up.

Pretty sure someone accused him and a bunch of other youtubers for acting on-camera in one of the directs last year. It's great to see all the 'in remembrance' of and etika reaction compilations, but we saw very little positivity or appreciation of it when he was alive.

I doubt what we said or did here mattered to him, but there's a good chance he was aware of this place and people said some of the rudeset and most dismissive things about him just because he's a big youtuber focused on FE, Smash and reaction vids . And this was before his public meltdown earlier this year.

Maverick14

Banned
Feb 16, 2019
How does my saying "Your well-intentioned choice of action is counterproductive to the goal we'd all like to achieve" "reek of intolerance toward mods" as you put it? How are you seeing any iota of intolerance in there at all, let alone it "reeking" of it?
Because that is not the bit that reeks of intolerance. This is:

" but the answer to this toxicity is not to appease people looking for more bans, but to encourage civility and course correction and forgiveness. The emphasis you guys put on punishing wrongdoers is exactly how we end up with a community that treats Wrongdoer Etika the way they did. Your "solution" to the community is the exact opposite of what it should be, and is counterproductive."

1. Encouraging civility in a way that achieves civility is incredibly difficult in this medium...the job of a mod is really hard and it deserves to be acknowledged. Your tone suggests an inherent failing when the reality is just how difficult it is.

2. You accuse them of fanning the flames of the intolerance that contributed to someone's suicide because their control systems emphasise punishment..to the point of partially holding them responsible by association. Aside from being an enormous leap that fails to acknowledge that most if not all discussion forums have to contend with poisonous discourse because of the inherent nature of the medium..how do you think a moderator reading that after already posting anguished reflections would feel?

SonicXtreme

Oct 27, 2017
watched a ton of etika on YT while i was goin to bed last night. such a bummer man.

i had to save a sibling from a suicide attempt a few years ago. they downed hundreds of pills and shot out an email-will; didn't say they did anything, but i knew, and was hours away. by chance (i rarely check emails as i get them, ESPECIALLY if i'm driving), i looked down and saw the from address, and immediately opened it and scrambled to get ahold of someone; i got ahole of a nearby relative who got there, and got the cops/landlord to break in and retrieve them, in a coma, to eventually be lifeflighted to the nearest hospital , where i drove down to spend a few days by their side until they finally was able to wake up and come out of it. they're still alive and enjoying things in life to this day, still with troubles, but still happy to be alive. i wish the same could've happened to etika with his 'i'm sorry' video, but never give up on people, especially when they start not acting like themselves, it could be when they need someone the most.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Rest in peace Etika, I hope this leads to at least some assholes thinking about mental health, but I doubt it.

My favorite reaction from him, character or not, dude had a passion for Nintendo.

I really wanted to see the kind of dude Etika would've become years down the line. He was such a energetic, joyful dude. I remember watching his Attack on Titan tribute game as my first experience with him. I was watching Season 1 as well and was insanely hyped about the series. Seeing another black dude get hyped about the series like that was kinda like having a friend into the same shit as me. I really didn't have much of that in high school. I also struggle with mental health issues as well, so a big part of me was pulling for him to get through it because, in my mind, seeing another black anime/video game nerd get through that shit... was proof that it was possible. That it was real...and conquerable. That someone like me could do it. And, while I have never attempted suicide and have no desire to do so at all in the present or the future, it saddens me to dude who is a lot like me end it all like that. A part of me is gonna watch Attack on Titan with him in mind. A story of hope against all odds. A story with characters who have had their lives destroyed but still work towards a better future. I think everyone can take something from that.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Anyone know if there are any Joycon Boyz shirts for sale anywhere where the money will go to a decent human/cause? That was Etika's thing and not something he was repping for someone else, right?

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So, quick question.

I run an anime store, but I also run a service when I bring stuff to México. A client just asked me to get this shirt for him: https://etikaworldnetwork.myshopify...ycon-boyz-premium-short-sleeve-unisex-t-shirt
mockup-9fab6f4d_750x.jpg

My client loved Etika and I'm sure this is part of his grieving, that is fine, but I can't help but feel weird about it. This feels weird.

So my question is: Is the money going to Etika's family or some part of the money goes to a charity to help people with depression and suicidal tendencies?

Thank you.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
So, quick question.

I run an anime store, but I also run a service when I bring stuff to México. A client just asked me to get this shirt for him: https://etikaworldnetwork.myshopify...ycon-boyz-premium-short-sleeve-unisex-t-shirt
mockup-9fab6f4d_750x.jpg

My client loved Etika and I'm sure this is part of his grieving, that is fine, but I can't help but feel weird about it. This feels weird.

So my question is: Is the money going to Etika's family or some part of the money goes to a charity to help people with depression and suicidal tendencies?

Thank you.
Thanks for bringing this up because it might be exactly what I'm looking for. The site at least states:

This website will commit 100% of its profits towards NAMI, the National Association of Mental Illness, in Desmond's name. #JOYCONBOYZFOREVER.

For more details on how profits will be spent please visit the main website: https://etikaworldnetwork.com/ or feel free to contact BLOCKHEAD GAMING: [email protected]

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
This reminds a little of the throw away attitude we treat child actors once they've reach the end of their shelf life. They're shunned by everyone and the occasional update (usually something bad) is just another opportunity for the peanut gallery to cast stones.

I can't imagine what it's like to grow up where your every move is scrutinized, but I started to hold my tongue better when given a chance to talk negatively about any person in the spotlight.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Trihard emote Trihex is planning a fundraiser stream this weekend in the memory of Etika through playing Mario Maker 2.

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Etika's suicide has almost capitalized my thoughts for the last few days, I still can't believe it. I wasn't an extremely big fan of him but I enjoyed his outbursts, especially in the last few months. When a new character is revealed for Ultimate, his reaction was always the first one I was looking for. It's kind of poetic for me that the last one was for Banjo-Kazooie since they are my most requested ones since forever, and his reaction is kinda beautiful because he admits he "don't fuck with 'em" so he's not extremely excited, but he's just happy that they're in for all the people that were waiting for them. The fact they found his Switch next to where he jumped just breaks my heart, dude was genuine and legit. Hope he at least found his peace.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Kyuuji reading your post brought me to tears. I know all too well those little inconveniences which prevent today from being The Day. The biggest one for me is knowing everyone is going to discuss it to no end when really (when I feel this way, I've been doing good lately) I just want to make a clean escape when it's time. Ironic, since the family gossip and improper rationalizing is partially why I feel the desire to escape in the first place.

This shit's so tough. On both ends. I've seen numerous friends go down treacherous paths due to mental illness, and there's always that point where it's obvious they've gone beyond where anyone knows how to get through to them. And you try so hard.... but they just smile and continue on as if it's as ordinary as going out for groceries.

It's really hard to remember that it gets better. Especially when it feels like the getting better is only within us, and everything around us keeps seeming to go to shit.
I am glad you've not reached that day bud. I can completely empathise with the agonising over what would happen to the family were it to happen. The scorn, whispers and shame on my parents from the rest of it. I'm also in a position where my mother supports my father financially – he's extremely capable and spends his time working on the house and restoring antiques for clients, but it doesn't pay much. I adore both of them, and for me it was also the knowledge that if I ever committed, and their relationship broke because of it, that my dad would struggle with work at his age in this modern world. He could do it, but it would be scraping by and I know what that would do to him after 50+ years of marriage, without his wife or me and alone. Every time I come close to imagining it breaks my heart, and at times it was a strong driver for me staying around. These days I'm thankful I have a whole host of reasons, wants, desires and excitements for staying alive, so I don't even need to reach into that dark place.

It definitely seems unfair, as well. That ending it should be so difficult, but it really is the depression convincing you it's the perfect solution that everyone is robbing you from. It's self-malevolence and flawed. It's beginning to understand that the rays of light are glints of the whole picture, and not just random passings like shooting stars in the night. It's understanding that the problem isn't you, but the solution is. That you're more than what you've beaten yourself down to believe. That by talking about and understanding the fractures within you, you can start to reconcile them and begin to understand and accept yourself on your own terms. Not those of others, and not those of that internal voice that's been shitting on you for years.

All the best for you and yours friend, reach out if you ever need to.

Thank you for this post Kyu, it definitely gave me some much needed insight. Hope you're doing well.
Hey you, I'm glad you found it insightful. Thank you, I am indeed and I still grin when I think of the altcoin days!

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017

I'm not crying, you're crying

As much as I understand the intent. I really do believe that saying was one of the driving points that lead to this situation to begin with. Masculinity can be a cage with no easy way out, feeling like you can't talk about your problems without looking weak in the eyes of others until something breaks, and it seems to be even more prevalent in the black community. I wonder how many other people are being driven to the brinK because they feel they will look like a bitch.

Just my two cents, anyway,

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It was really difficult for me to express my feelings on these events. As someone who has struggled with mental health for years and has family affected by it, this news hit extremely hard. I never watched Etika's content as much but I always found his enthusiastic demeanour extremely entertaining and unsettling at the same time. Back in October, when he had one of his breakdowns, I didn't know what to make of the entire situation. When he was hospitalized in April, it became clear to me that he was suffering from personal issues. I obviously don't endorse the language he used during those times but I refrained from posting because of how difficult and complicated this situation is. Knowing what it's like to have to maintain a certain image or persona in front of people, even those close to you, can really wear you out. It took me years to be able to be true to myself and talk to other people about my problems. It's a tragedy that Etika wasn't able to get the same kind of help.

I went back to the previous thread about Etika and read through some of the comments. Not everyone who wrote insensitive stuff back then has been banned or warned but this isn't meant to be a call out post. I just hope that the same people that posted in there go back and read what they wrote with the knowledge of today. And maybe it will serve them as an opportunity to reflect on their own responsibility towards other human beings. Etika can't learn from his past mistakes but you still can.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's been a couple of days but I'm still somewhat shocked at the news. It's just such a tragic end to a life that ended too soon.

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
As much as I understand the intent. I really do believe that saying was one of the driving points that lead to this situation to begin with. Masculinity can be a cage with no easy way out, feeling like you can't talk about your problems without looking weak in the eyes of others until something breaks, and it seems to be even more prevalent in the black community. I wonder how many other people are being driven to the brinK because they feel they will look like a bitch.

Just my two cents, anyway,
I think it is fair to say that in trying to maintain his image and live by his catch phrase, that was one of the factors that contributed to his deteriorated mental state, especially when he was already dealing with untreated mental illness and other negative factors. He addresses this in his farewell video as well. The fact he is even able to keep his composure and maintain that front, for the most part in his final video, is telling. It is all so terribly heartbreaking.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
This is a damn tragedy. I watched some of his videos and I enjoyed the enthusiasm he had for videogames and nerd culture. I know he's been mentally troubled since at least late last year, but it didn't have to end like this.

RIP Etika, you'll be missed.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
So how differentiated is "cancel culture" supposed to be from "outrage culture"?

Etika's passing shouldn't be getting used for "outrage culture is getting out of control" arguments in order to start "giving passes" to people who say and do hurtful things to different groups of people. Everyone has a right to be upset when people make hurtful/disrespectful comments while also being able to recognize when someone is suffering from mental illness. Mental Illness doesn't excuse terrible actions and anyone should be able to call those actions out, but it also doesn't mean people should completely ignore or make fun of obvious cries for help either.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Did someone seriously put "F" on his memorial?

Can't people fucking stop "memeing" for a day?

I get what you're saying and I agree with the sentiment but I don't think whoever put that there meant any harm by it. Meme culture isn't my thing either but some people, especially the younger crowd live and breathe this stuff.

I mean, Etika himself seemed to be pretty knee deep in gamer/meme culture so I don't imagine he himself would be too bothered by this.

Not how I'd pay my respects to him but not everybody thinks like us. I think it's okay.

I've definitely had a lot on my mind the last few days thinking about my own struggles. I have a close friend in particular who has depression and is on medication, and he tells me I should seek some form of treatment and I keep insisting that I'm okay, and I'd only pursue treatment if I *really* felt I needed it. Sometimes I just feel like this is a more personal fight and drugs (read: medication) and talking to strangers about my shit is the solution. I kinda see it as something I *want* to handle on my own. There's numerous factors at play here for me. I will admit that when I had more serious thoughts of suicide (though never to the point of any kind of action) I still just wanted to be alone and process things my own way. But that's just me. And it doesn't mean I'm right. Maybe I should be getting help. I just think I have a handle on my situation, I've been here before. I've had many highs and lows in my life. I feel like I know how to deal with things. But I know I have people to talk to and when things get bad I usually reach out to people I feel I can trust. I think being able to talk to at least ONE person can go a long way. If not, find people to talk to. Professional help, people online, anyone. It really helps just talking about things.

Anyways I'm ranting a bit now. Take care of yourselves, everyone. Check on people.

Everyone deserves love and attention.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
mod edit: don't link to racist twitter accounts

Some people in here are so quick to demand blood, huh. Back then during his crazy tweets I was not familiar with Etika and his situation, I thought at first he's just another troublemaker YouTuber and Twitch streamer. I didn't know stuff about his altercation with police, etc etc. That's why I posted that back then, for clarification.

For whatever reason did this person post on Twitter like that anyway? I assume he or she is a member here? At least before he or she blasted me like that he or she could have asked for clarification first.

Ah well :/

Last edited by a moderator:

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Some people in here are so quick to demand blood, huh. Back then during his crazy tweets I was not familiar with Etika and his situation, I thought at first he's just another troublemaker YouTuber and Twitch streamer. I didn't know stuff about his altercation with police, etc etc. That's why I posted that back then, for clarification.

For whatever reason did this person post on Twitter like that anyway? I assume he or she is a member here? At least before he blasted me like that he or she could have asked for clarification first.

The amount of times I've seen people labeled as "pieces of shit" on this forum is nauseating. Hindsight is 20/20 but seeing the before and after is pretty sobering.

This was a fantastic post which highlights the issue greatly.

The highlighted sentence is the big problem I have with ResetEra, Reddit, and these other big forum spaces. These are toxic communities because people create VERY decisive, extreme opinions of people they knew VERY little about. With people we know in real life, we often create nuance. For example, I love my mother, but there are also many things I have trouble forgiving her for (like her making my life miserable when I came out as gay). There is tremendous nuance and complexity in our relationship. I love her more than anything and yet she has caused me some of the biggest betrayal and pain in my life. Same with my spouse, I treasure him but he cheated on me 3 weeks into our relationship. Life and relationships are complex and nuanced.

On here you get none of that nuance. Someone reads an article where a YouTube celebrity says the "f___t" word in a manic episode and that person is now suddenly an evil, "canceled" person that needs to be mocked, hated, and labeled from then on. Almost 3 decades of life off the computer is not even able to be assessed properly. All that matters is the negative snapshots gobbled by the online channels. Even though using the f___t word is hateful and wrong, the internet and its gazing scrutiny has no time for nuance and complexity, it is instead immediately judgmental. One time I posted here that my dog doesn't like going on walks, and I got called a dog abuser or not taking him out on walks multiple times a day. This person knew nothing about my life nor the fact that my dog had heartworms and vets orders to NOT do exercise, now I'm a dog abuser because of one poster being the judge and jury of my life. Multiply that audience by thousands, and I can see why Etika felt trapped and shamed by a community that should have handled him differently considering he was both suicidal AND bipolar.

Just take a look at some of the threads here. Someone asks for advice and posts an OP with a limited summary of information and posters immediately scrutinize and judge every detail looking for thread backfire fodder and reasons to "gotcha" the OP.

It's so absurd. I don't expect communities to become non-toxic overnight so my best solution is just to remain very private, vague, and low-stress in topics on the internet, because it gets very ugly here and elsewhere

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017

For whatever reason did this person post on Twitter like that anyway? I assume he or she is a member here? At least before he blasted me like that he or she could have asked for clarification first.

Damn.

airbagged_

Jan 21, 2019
Charleston, SC

Dude reposts TERFs, Trump memes, Keemstar etc. He's doing it in bad faith

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Ah, so that Twitter account is problematic.

Still, it irks me that someone would actually do that. At least post here so I could give clarification instead of blasting people like that with people have no chance to respond.

airbagged_

Jan 21, 2019
Charleston, SC
Doesn't change the content of the tweets. It's pretty fucking embarassing on Era's part. We can be better.

I agree that we absolutely can. I was reading some of the posts before/after and having remorse/condolences and also being offended by something someone said aren't mutually exclusive. Hindsight is 20/20 and it's awful that it came to this for people to realize.

EDIT: I would even say while it's very very apparent that he was going through an episode, many people were assuming that "not enabling" him was the proper course of action rather than trying to analyze WHY it was happening. Someone put it very well in the "man blames racism on autism" thread that this was a pattern vs. just a random event.

EDIT #2: That account purposely posted that not to create a dialogue, but to just shit on ERA and give other places ammunition to paint the entire community as one that seeks bloodlust over problematic behavior no matter what.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately Youtube has become a place of extremes where many people feel the need to take things to the next level. Etika even noted that he felt like he needed to find ways to keep his audience entertained. That's how we got Ekita the character, not Desmond, the real-life person making all that content. I don't condemn anyone for suspecting that his antics might be a joke. Let's be honest, we are not surprised when a Youtuber or Steamer does something stupid, inconsiderate, racist, or even illegal just to get an audience. Hell we even have a few examples now where some Youtubers are putting out controversial videos about Ekita's death just to get views. I knew Ekita was suffering from mental health problems because I followed his saga and character from near the beginning. But if you didn't know much about Etika, then yes I can easily see how it was all just another Youtuber doing something dumb to get attention.

What did Etika in were the "fans" who get pushing him to extremes regardless if they thought he was seriously in danger or just doing it all for a joke. When he first got his Youtube account removed, many fans handwaved it as all a master joke by their favorite entertainer and that those who thought he was in trouble were taking things too seriously. They memed him to keep having confrontations with police. To get onto Twitter to say weird stuff. They wanted to be entertained and it cost a young man his health and his life.