• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
I don't get it. What's the context here?
This guy puts out the same clickbait video every day where he pretends to call someone at 3 AM (usually a fictional character) and then pretends that the person he called has broken into his house and is trying to kill him or some shit. Every single video is practically an exact copy of each other besides swapping the name of who he's supposedly calling. This time, he decided to use Etika's name for his shitty clickbait.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Why the fuck would anyone think this is okay?
D-DKOFbW4AA9XPu

Report the video.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Y'all, let's not act like Etika wasn't getting shit on here well before his spiral happened. I recall most discussions on the guy pre-breakdown being filled with folks making sure everyone knew how annoying they found him, how they were sure he was faking for attention, etc. in their normal cynical way.

There are people who have a vested interest in destroying this place, because of its attempted progressive bent, and are more than happy to use a situation like this to nitpick posts and paint those posts as being representative of Era and progressivism on the whole, to paint both as evil.

So stop looking for singular out-groups to point fingers at and "blame" when shit happens. From tragedies to inconveniences. More often than not there are long chains of cause-and-effect with multiple junctures where things could have been done differently by different parties. And one of those parties is very likely going to include you.

Just stop.

Deleted member 46922

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
I did watch some of his content, it was fake as f**k but I know that was his gimmick.
What's really upsetting me in this day and age, is that if you're on social media and have a mental health problem, the combination of these two things are extremely dangerous. Your negative feelings reach their goal ten times as fast. Responses and public opinion can make you think your life can never be okay again.

I can't possibly know how much he was suffering, but I'm very afraid of the idea that without social media making everything so much worse for a lot of young people, he could have been saved.

Slushimi

Oct 30, 2017
This is making me sad and depressed every time I see this thread or Etika's name elsewhere, not only a life has been lost, we have lost one of the greatest entertainers and a incredible person. His hype was something to behold and would bring happiness to anyone watching him.
It still hurts me so much thinking how he's gone now. One of the best and genuine entertainer I know.

Thatonedice1

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Working on that also.

Did someone seriously put "F" on his memorial?

Can't people fucking stop "memeing" for a day?

There are over a million signatures to actually get Etika buried at YouTube HQ just because he said so while clearly joking. Most of his "fanbase" don't see him as an actual human being but a funny man that needs a funny burial. I'm legit worried what's gonna happen when his family more then likely won't push for that.

Oct 25, 2017
There are over a million signatures to actually get Etika buried at YouTube HQ just because he said so while clearly joking. Most of his "fanbase" don't see him as an actual human being but a funny man that needs a funny burial. I'm legit worried what's gonna happen when his family more then likely won't push for that.

God, that and some of his fans making Smash memes of his death like "Etika makes a splash" is some of the most morbid shit I've seen.

Etika wasn't a person to these people. Just a joke.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Guys, why do you link to trolling and offensive content? Don't signal boost these idiots.

The internet being what is, I'm sure you can find this stuff anytime someone passes. Ignore it.

Robotoboy

Oct 7, 2018
Tulsa, OK
Yeah, no kidding. Not gonna lie...everyone's rush to be "good" and jump on a man needing help because he was saying offensive things irks me a lot. "We're here for you...but only if you behave well while having a suicidal crisis, otherwise we'll be quick to jump on you to show our moral superiority because, why, we would never say anything bad while suffering from mental illness because we are too strong for that!"

I feel terrible about this. Honestly, feel like I'm gonna quit on this place. This whole thing is a really sour note for me.

Essentially this. I know I don't feel comfortable talking about my mental illness here anymore... not a lot of places I do now that I think about it. The mentality is too common.

CrumbSnatcher

Jan 12, 2018
So sad, Rest in Peace. Never heard of him, but read about the events, and the efforts to locate whereabouts to hopefully save him. My condolences to his friends and family.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
The part that hit me the hardest about Etika's last video was his comment about never getting to finish Attack on Titan, I know it may seem like a dumb thing to focus on but I was suicidal I used to do the same thing, I tried to convince myself to live by telling myself "I can't die without finishing this show, anime, or video game", this whole situation just tragic, no one should have to die for people to take mental health more seriously, the signs for Etika were extremely clear yet people took it as a joke because of Internet culture.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Considering YouTube/Twitch don't have retirement benefits or anything like that, I think a lot of mid-tier streamers/content creators are going to run into depression when they have trouble re-entering the job market or struggling with finances.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I was banned during this whole thing and just wanna share my own thoughts on this.

This whole thing teared me up because to me he never seemed like a bad kid and was clear to me that the pressure got control over his life big time. It was clear when he started drinking more and more alcohol because he had to 'please' us

The biggest thing that probably hurt him the most I feel was his relationship with his ex, which he broke up himself. The thing is despite being broken up you don't just lose a certain attachment to someone. Social media being as it is, looking at their Twitter pages during it all shows a deliberate "hey look at me I've moved on and don't care about you" messages on them. It's what a song from John Mayer called as heartbreak warware. I'm sure this fucked him up as well with the social media thing. I know how it is..

Anyway his final sorry video really got to me. No more crazy funny etika out there to please the fans. He was genuine in this final video. He was himself. And it showed how articulate and intelligent this etika was behind the image he made of himself. Etika was a very sober and intelligent dude. To me that always shined through.

Etika was an innocent lad who wasn't himself anymore in the end because of influences. It's been said in this thread before but we should never just simply judge a book by it's cover in a human's case. We are waaay too complex for that. The outraging, piling on someone really needs to stop at this point and I hope the mod team will stand firm to prevent this in the future.

Etika should have been here with us today. I have been finding myself just saying out loud "why did you have to go man" and tearing up. I'm gonna miss the dude. Fuck man. RIP brother

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017

If this is true, he killed himself DAYS after putting out the "I'm Sorry" video. So, it's likely he saw the reaction the video got and had time to think over it and still went through with it. Man, this shit really is so fucking terrible.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017

If this is true, he killed himself DAYS after putting out the "I'm Sorry" video. So, it's likely he saw the reaction the video got and had time to think over it and still went through with it. Man, this shit really is so fucking terrible.

It makes me feel sick to think that the people shitting on him may have pushed him to go through with it. If he waited there was clearly some hesitance in his mind. There was some outpouring of support, but it can be hard to ignore the negative comments.

Ikaruga

Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I never understood why people followed him and what exactly his content was about, I saw some crazy Bitcoin investments by him a year ago(when it was at an all time high) buying at an even worse exchange rate and shook my head.

I watched a stream some time ago and he came across a bit strange, couldn't put my finger on it but something about him felt a bit off. Wouldn't have thought he'd commit suicide though, he seemed to have found a good life with a lot of "sponsors" as they seem to be called on youtube.

In the end you can't ever understand what happens in someone's mind, everyone faces their own demons, everyday.

Rest in piece man.

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
I only just found out about this. God have mercy on Etika.

If only we could have helped him. But there are more out there that we can help.

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
This includes being vulnerable. Honestly, it's a sign of strength to be able to show one's feelings on the outside.

If manhood is "strength," then maybe true strength should be seen as being yourself and being kind to others.

This is one of the best things I have read on this forum.

A man that lives like a pressure cooker will only break at some point.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Damn that's dope. I was literally in that area 20 minutes ago fuck. Gonna check it out tomorrow.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
That's too cool. This is making me sad all over again. Specially because a new Smash character came out and he'd be super pumped.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Fuck me... i only watched his nintendo direct video but he was always one of the best reactions.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
As someone from Brooklyn, this made me tear up. This mural will definitely be on my list of places to visit when I'm in the neighborhood.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Very well done.
Hopefully it can be used to tie into a suicide awareness campaign or something. This deserves to have a lasting positive effect somehow.

Its going to keep happening until these issues are taught at a compulsory level in education as well as treatment improving drastically. Even then some cultures are just breeding apathy, and that's especially prevalent in some social media circles as evidenced with cases like this where people got treated as a meme rather than as a real person.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Its going to keep happening until these issues are taught at a compulsory level in education as well as treatment improving drastically. Even then some cultures are just breeding apathy, and that's especially prevalent in some social media circles as evidenced with cases like this where people got treated as a meme rather than as a real person.
Well most of youtube's demographic are kids and teens, especially for the gaming channels. Definitely most of etika's demographic. 12-14 year olds loce being edgy, and combine that with how the internet is today, that's what happens. Teens think literally everything is a meme and never serious.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
I missed this before... but the mural on the wall says,
"Have a damn good one"
&
"Take care of yourself"

They were some of his closing phrases in his videos. Damn