• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
lMM9TW2.jpg

www.nytimes.com

‘Leaning Tower of Dallas’ Becomes a City’s Star Attraction (Published 2020)

The demolition of an office tower on Sunday left behind the building’s core, leaning slightly. The new landmark has caused a stir on social media.
The demolition of a tower near downtown Dallas didn't go quite as planned.
As the former Affiliated Computer Services building was imploded with explosives on Sunday morning, the core of the 11-story tower stubbornly remained standing, leaning to one side.
"The building fell the way it was supposed to fall," said Josh Stevens, a project manager at Lloyd D. Nabors Demolition. "It happened to stop right there."
Video of the building's collapse immediately went viral and people began calling the structure the "Leaning Tower of Dallas."
"Who needs Pisa? We have the Leaning Tower of Dallas,'' one Twitter user wrote, sharing a photo of the city's newest landmark.
"Oops, an implosion masterpiece!!" another Twitter user observed.
Just as tourists snap photos of the Leaning Tower of Pisa in Italy, people in Dallas are doing the same a safe distance from what remains of the Affiliated Computer Services building, creating the illusion that they are holding the structure in their hands or between their fingers, or kicking it.
"Whenever a new landmark is established right next to your home, you have to take a picture with it!" Benjamin Bratcher of Dallas posted on Twitter, with a photo of himself in which he appeared to be propping up the building with his hands.
----------------------
The remaining structure, which includes stairwells and elevator shafts, has been embraced by so many people in Dallas that some want it to stay. A Dallas man started an online petition to save the tower and make it a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
----------------------
The building is expected to be torn down sometime next week, he said. The company is awaiting the arrival of a large crane to demolish it with a wrecking ball.

www.cbsnews.com

Online petition seeks to keep "Leaning Tower of Dallas" as is

Failed attempts to topple the building have left part of it still standing, at an angle, and made it an instant selfies sensation.

www.youtube.com

11-story tower remains standing after implosion attempt

Part of the 11-story former Affiliated Computer Services tower remains standing after an implosion attempt north of downtown Dallas on Feb. 16, 2020. (Juan F...

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I was expecting this to be like one of Springfield's notorious money pits like elevator to nowhere.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Video shows that the "leaning" part of the building did actually fall a couple of stories before coming to a rest. It is quite incredible that it's still standing.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We recently had one of these demolitions at Vanderbilt University in Nashville.

We did it right tho

image%20%2878%29_1.png

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Man we had shit like this for a few months in Cologne, Germany. Its funny seeing something like this making news America wide. Nobody living in Berlin knows about our church tower hanging sideways, or it becoming an attraction, let alone a magazine like NYT reporting about it or a forum like this having a thread about it.

Its a trasyhy tower guys.
Also sorry im drunk af bc of carnival.

PuppetMinion

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Man we had shit like this for a few months in Cologne, Germany. Its funny seeing something like this making news America wide. Nobody living in Berlin knows about our church tower hanging sideways, or it becoming an attraction, let alone a magazine like NYT reporting about it or a forum like this having a thread about it.

Really? This article I found, says they were going to print t-shirts. T-shirts!

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Incredible. I think I know where I'm going on vacation this year. Forget the national parks!

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Really? This article I found, says they were going to print t-shirts. T-shirts!
Lol, I mean the very fact the link is form a site barely anyone heard about before is saying everything. But hey, at least someone felt compelled to write about it I guess lol.
Also, as someone who lives like 10 mins by feet away from that tower, I have never seen a single t-shirt for this thing, ever. And I go out a lot, in a city whose citizens love to reference themselves and their hometown every chance they get.

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
lMM9TW2.jpg

www.nytimes.com

‘Leaning Tower of Dallas’ Becomes a City’s Star Attraction (Published 2020)

The demolition of an office tower on Sunday left behind the building’s core, leaning slightly. The new landmark has caused a stir on social media.
The demolition of a tower near downtown Dallas didn't go quite as planned.
As the former Affiliated Computer Services building was imploded with explosives on Sunday morning, the core of the 11-story tower stubbornly remained standing, leaning to one side.
"The building fell the way it was supposed to fall," said Josh Stevens, a project manager at Lloyd D. Nabors Demolition. "It happened to stop right there."
Video of the building's collapse immediately went viral and people began calling the structure the "Leaning Tower of Dallas."
"Who needs Pisa? We have the Leaning Tower of Dallas,'' one Twitter user wrote, sharing a photo of the city's newest landmark.
"Oops, an implosion masterpiece!!" another Twitter user observed.
Just as tourists snap photos of the Leaning Tower of Pisa in Italy, people in Dallas are doing the same a safe distance from what remains of the Affiliated Computer Services building, creating the illusion that they are holding the structure in their hands or between their fingers, or kicking it.
"Whenever a new landmark is established right next to your home, you have to take a picture with it!" Benjamin Bratcher of Dallas posted on Twitter, with a photo of himself in which he appeared to be propping up the building with his hands.
----------------------
The remaining structure, which includes stairwells and elevator shafts, has been embraced by so many people in Dallas that some want it to stay. A Dallas man started an online petition to save the tower and make it a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
----------------------
The building is expected to be torn down sometime next week, he said. The company is awaiting the arrival of a large crane to demolish it with a wrecking ball.

www.cbsnews.com

Online petition seeks to keep "Leaning Tower of Dallas" as is

Failed attempts to topple the building have left part of it still standing, at an angle, and made it an instant selfies sensation.

www.youtube.com

11-story tower remains standing after implosion attempt

Part of the 11-story former Affiliated Computer Services tower remains standing after an implosion attempt north of downtown Dallas on Feb. 16, 2020. (Juan F...

why is it spewing fluids in that video...

wasn't expecting it to feel so gruesome o.O

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

cCEt3Hx.jpg

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018

Lol, I mean the very fact the link is form a site barely anyone heard about before is saying everything. But hey, at least someone felt compelled to write about it I guess lol.
Also, as someone who lives like 10 mins by feet away from that tower, I have never seen a single t-shirt for this thing, ever. And I go out a lot, in a city whose citizens love to reference themselves and their hometown every chance they get.
Weird flex but okay we'll give it to you, Germany is much better at handling unsuccessfully demolished buildings with a sense of quiet, national humility than us boisterous Americans. But at least you can bet your ass there'll be applause when we get the job done.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
Please tell me there are already loads of photos of people doing the (in)famous "pushing the tower" pose.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Weird flex but okay we'll give it to you, Germany is much better at handling unsuccessfully demolished buildings with a sense of quiet, national humility than us boisterous Americans. But at least you can bet your ass there'll be applause when we get the job done.
How is it a weird flex, I just don't get the fuss.

Demolished
OP
OP
cameron

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

apnews.com

After 2 weeks of pounding, Leaning Tower of Dallas is down

DALLAS (AP) — The Leaning Tower of Dallas, the nearly iconic remnant of a high-rise building implosion gone awry, finally collapsed in a cloud of dust Monday after two weeks of being whacked with a headache ball.

time.com

'Leaning Tower of Dallas' Finally Falls After 2 Weeks

The tower collapsed about 3:15 p.m. after a few last whacks with a wrecking ball

(DALLAS) — The Leaning Tower of Dallas, the nearly iconic remnant of a high-rise building implosion gone awry, finally collapsed in a cloud of dust Monday after two weeks of being whacked with a headache ball.
The tower collapsed about 3:15 p.m. after a few last whacks with a wrecking ball swung by a high-rise crane. No injuries were reported.

YEqrHhI.jpg