• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

The New York Times said in a statement on Tuesday that Jonathan Weisman, a deputy Washington editor of The Times, had been demoted and would no longer oversee the paper's congressional correspondents because he repeatedly posted messages on social media about race and politics that showed what the paper called "serious lapses in judgment."

Mr. Weisman, 53, will lose the title of deputy editor, a designation for Times editors with wide-ranging duties and significant input into news coverage, a spokeswoman for the paper said.

Mr. Weisman met with Dean Baquet, the executive editor of The Times, on Tuesday and apologized, the Times statement said. He will also no longer be "active on social media," the statement added.

In a brief interview after the meeting with Mr. Baquet, Mr. Weisman, who will stay on at the paper as an editor, said: "I accept Dean's judgment. I think he's right to do what he's doing. I embarrassed the newspaper, and he had to act."

The reprimand came amid a broader discussion in the Times newsroom of how the paper covers race and the Trump administration in a polarized time. On Monday, Mr. Baquet led a staff meeting at which a recent front-page headline that generated heavy public criticism was a main topic.
Mr. Weisman, who joined The Times in 2012, was under scrutiny for messages he posted on Twitter on July 31 and Aug. 7. In the July 31 posts, he implied that it was inaccurate to describe certain politicians from urban areas as being representative of the Midwest and the South. He specifically mentioned four Democrats: Representatives Rashida Tlaib of Michigan, Ilhan Omar of Minnesota, Lloyd Doggett of Texas and John Lewis of Georgia. Three of the four are minorities.

"Saying @RashidaTlaib (D-Detroit) and @IlhanMN (D-Minneapolis) are from the Midwest is like saying @RepLloydDoggett (D-Austin) is from Texas or @repjohnlewis (D-Atlanta) is from the Deep South," Mr. Weisman wrote. "C'mon."

Mr. Weisman, who is white, deleted the tweet and a pair of follow-ups after they were criticized as racist on Twitter and in the African-American-focused online publication The Root.

The Times's standards editor, Phil Corbett, advised Mr. Weisman to be more careful on social media, Mr. Weisman said. But on Aug. 7, he ventured into similar territory.

Replying to a Twitter post by the progressive political organization Justice Democrats that included a photograph of Morgan Harper, a candidate the group was backing for a United States House seat in Ohio, Mr. Weisman noted that she would be challenging Representative Joyce Beatty, an African-American Democrat.

Ms. Harper quickly replied to Mr. Weisman's message, telling him, "I am also black."

To that, Mr. Weisman replied, "@justicedems's endorsement included a photo," as if that settled the matter.

Oct 25, 2017
The Times just wants their editors to hide their shit better. They don't actually care that they're like this, just that they don't get caught flaunting these ideas too openly.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if they'll do something about that Whitehouse staffer who writes NYT stories about how all the mild concerns with the president are ameliorated by the solid ethical people surrounding him.

Her name is Peggy or Mabo Hagarman or something.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The Times's standards editor, Phil Corbett, advised Mr. Weisman to be more careful on social media, Mr. Weisman said. But on Aug. 7, he ventured into similar territory.

Replying to a Twitter post by the progressive political organization Justice Democrats that included a photograph of Morgan Harper, a candidate the group was backing for a United States House seat in Ohio, Mr. Weisman noted that she would be challenging Representative Joyce Beatty, an African-American Democrat.

Ms. Harper quickly replied to Mr. Weisman's message, telling him, "I am also black."

To that, Mr. Weisman replied, "@justicedems's endorsement included a photo," as if that settled the matter.

From last week:

roxane gay @rgay

Any time you think you're unqualified for a job remember that this guy, telling a black woman she isn't black because he looked at a picture and can't see, has one of the most prestigious jobs in America. Shoot your shot.

12:04 PM - Aug 7, 2019

roxane gay @rgay

Guys Jonathan Weisman emailed me to say he thinks I owe him an "enormous apology." The audacity and entitlement of white men is fucking incredible.

12:55 PM - Aug 8, 2019

roxane gay @rgay

He also emailed my assistant. WTF?

And he also emailed Harper Collins. Uhh @nytimes, get your boy.

3:17 PM - Aug 8, 2019

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
What's depressing is Nytimes is such a solid source of info that I ended up re-subscribing recently after dropping them with that 'Nazi's Shop At Target Too!'. And this is pretty much 'Nazi's shop at target too!' but in a minor form; you can't get mad at your writers for playing with fire when your editorial page is full of racial leaning 'hot takes'

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
That motherfucker. So much for intersectionalty

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
What's depressing is Nytimes is such a solid source of info that I ended up re-subscribing recently after dropping them with that 'Nazi's Shop At Target Too!'. And this is pretty much 'Nazi's shop at target too!' but in a minor form; you can't get mad at your writers for playing with fire when your editorial page is full of racial leaning 'hot takes'
NYT is a body with many minds. One mind is still some great jouneralism, the other is overet racism masked as "opinions", and the last is the editors that allow the bullshit to happen.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Two weeks ago, deleted:

XlCj1Ih.png

Meredith Shiner@meredithshiner

this guy edits Washington coverage for the New York Times. I'm just gonna sit here and fav all the replies for the rest of the day. John Lewis, man born and raised in Alabama who almost died on the Edmund Pettus bridge fighting for civil rights, is not "from the Deep South." https://twitter.com/jonathanweisman/status/1156516462875619329 …

8:26 AM - Jul 31, 2019

Nov 1, 2017
I will never understand how these people do something racist or another form of bigotry and instead of getting a simple my bad instead demand an apology from the people they were an asshole to. A lot of people are going to slip up and say something about a group they're not a part of. Take it on the chin and do better in the future if you really are embarrassed it happened.

I wonder how long this demotion will last.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
I will never understand how these people do something racist or another form of bigotry and instead of getting a simple my bad instead demand an apology from the people they were an asshole to. A lot of people are going to slip up and say something about a group they're not a part of. Take it on the chin and do better in the future if you really are embarrassed it happened.

You have to imagine it's worked so often for them in the past it's just natural behaviour to them.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017

He is that kinda of liberal that sniffs his own farts

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Even minus the racism, he's wrong about "Atlanta isn't Georgia." Twenty seconds of Googling show that Georgia has a population of 10.5 million, and 6 million of them live in Atlanta/it's metro.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
NYT needs to swallow their pride and hire an ombudsman again. Their writers have only grown more insular, dismissive and combative on social media as the only sounding board for criticism against the paper online, let alone their own shitty beltway brain commentary.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Even minus the racism, he's wrong about "Atlanta isn't Georgia." Twenty seconds of Googling show that Georgia has a population of 10.5 million, and 6 million of them live in Atlanta/it's metro.
It was definitely a strange point. Most Americans live in an urban center or suburb of an urban center. It's like saying you don't live in Michigan if you live in Detroit or don't live in Texas if you're in Houston, Austin or DFW. Like...eh?

Every state has country side/rural areas that are different in culture than urban centers and suburbs, whether we're talking about Georgia, Pennsylvania, or any state in between.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
It's peak absurdity that this guy is still using triple brackets years after the anti-semites have moved onto marching on the street straight up screaming "jews will not replace us". Though I guess he's subliminally picked up on the move to drop the mask considering his tweets.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
It was definitely a strange point. Most Americans live in an urban center or suburb of an urban center. It's like saying you don't live in Michigan if you live in Detroit or don't live in Texas if you're in Houston, Austin or DFW. Like...eh?

Every state has country side/rural areas that are different in culture than urban centers and suburbs, whether we're talking about Georgia, Pennsylvania, or any state in between.
I am not saying it is racist, but ATL is called Chocolate city 2.0
Glad no one has ever pulled this with me. I'm the type to apologize to them that they're a sad sack of shit.

Yeah I run into a lot of them daily. We'll never understand that life.
The sheer balls to tell a woman she isn't what she is because he saw a picture real quick.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney

There's a pretty naked mental construction that goes on that the sort of people who live in Atlanta do not "count", especially when it comes to political participation.

It is helped along by the fact that for hundreds of years steps have been taken to make sure these people do not count.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Two weeks ago, deleted:

XlCj1Ih.png

this guy edits Washington coverage for the New York Times. I'm just gonna sit here and fav all the replies for the rest of the day. John Lewis, man born and raised in Alabama who almost died on the Edmund Pettus bridge fighting for civil rights, is not "from the Deep South." https://twitter.com/jonathanweisman/status/1156516462875619329 …

how fucking low do you have to be to try to cast doubt on John Lewis.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The guy just kept doubling down with terrible racist takes.

That John Lewis take wow.

Also his in-laws sound like garbage and Plymouth is literally right next to Omar's district. Like it's literally just west of north Minneapolis.

Garlic

Oct 28, 2017
"Detroit ain't Michigan" is a take that could only be be fueled by a crazy fusion of coastal arrogance and wacky racism

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
"Detroit ain't Michigan" is a take that could only be be fueled by a crazy fusion of coastal arrogance and wacky racism

It's not coastal arrogance, if anything it's a reaction to that accusation and going hard the other way to sincerely believe the propaganda that Americans who live in cities don't represent "real" America despite the majority of the country living in cities.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
I think the demoting is a worse punishment than firing. That shit had to burn when had to take "deputy editor" off his email sig

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Two weeks ago, deleted:

XlCj1Ih.png

I see the exact same kind of sentiment on this forum, where people from the cities "don't count". They're just like those "coastal elites".

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
But these media companies are impervious to criticism i say!

Seriously, good job...but this unfortunately is something that doesnt affect their coffers directly and so its much easier to do than actually do a full house cleaning

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Another clear example of the corporate wealthy serving media using race as a weapon against progressives

But the media isn't biased! It just tries to find any angle to attack progressives by using race even when the progressive being attacked is also black

Has nyt, wp, politico, etc ever systematically made the same mistake against the powerful??

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018

You could subscribe to ProPublica instead. They're non-profit and their reporting doesn't actively cover for nazis.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Personally, I still think well of NYT's journalism. I just keep grains of salt on hand whenever they talk about race or domestic politics or international politics, or corporations. Anything outside of those topics seems trustworthy, anything within those topics seem to skew white capitalist.

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
I think the demoting is a worse punishment than firing. That shit had to burn when had to take "deputy editor" off his email sig
At that level, being fired is an inconvenience, not a punishment. You'll catch on somewhere, even if you have to end up working for the "enemy." Plus, you can use the downtime to write that book and you're free to be a talking head on tv. But to have lost face and favor at your same old job? Ether.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
At that level, being fired is an inconvenience, not a punishment. You'll catch on somewhere, even if you have to end up working for the "enemy." Plus, you can use the downtime to write that book and you're free to be a talking head on tv. But to have lost face and favor at your same old job? Ether.
Yep, with this dude's ego looking his former subordinates in the eye is going to eat him alive

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
He apologized to the paper (for getting caught) but not to the people she shit on.....

phazedplasma

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whoa consequences and good on times hopefully this sets a new standard for them

Imagine thinking this will set a new standard for the NYT lol.

No, they will continue to push capitalism as hard as possible, "both sides" issues as hard as possible and give (what they perceive to be) decent right wingers a mouth piece.

Fuck them

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's not coastal arrogance, if anything it's a reaction to that accusation and going hard the other way to sincerely believe the propaganda that Americans who live in cities don't represent "real" America despite the majority of the country living in cities.
At this point "real" America seems to only equal Pennsylvania coal miners.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Personally, I still think well of NYT's journalism. I just keep grains of salt on hand whenever they talk about race or domestic politics or international politics, or corporations. Anything outside of those topics seems trustworthy, anything within those topics seem to skew white capitalist.
That's, like, a huge portion of their reporting though

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I've never understood this viewpoint.