• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
May 9, 2018
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/18/technology/facebook-privacy.html

For years, Facebook gave some of the world's largest technology companies more intrusive access to users' personal data than it has disclosed, effectively exempting those business partners from its usual privacy rules, according to internal records and interviews.
The social network allowed Microsoft's Bing search engine to see the names of virtually all Facebook users' friends without consent, the records show, and gave Netflix and Spotify the ability to read Facebook users' private messages.
Facebook even recategorized one company, the Russian search giant Yandex, as an integration partner.

Facebook records show Yandex had access in 2017 to Facebook's unique user IDs even after the social network stopped sharing them with other applications, citing privacy risks. A spokeswoman for Yandex, which was accused last year by Ukraine's security service of funneling its user data to the Kremlin, said the company was unaware of the access and did not know why Facebook had allowed it to continue. She added that the Ukrainian allegations "have no merit."

Last edited:

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The social network allowed Microsoft's Bing search engine to see the names of virtually all Facebook users' friends without consent, the records show, and gave Netflix and Spotify the ability to read Facebook users' private messages

Holy shit, what the fuck. Private messages?

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man, Facebook sold out their entire base, huh?
Glad I ditched that shit years ago

Merguson

Oct 25, 2017
Facebook also allowed Spotify, Netflix and the Royal Bank of Canada to read, write and delete users' private messages, and to see all participants on a thread — privileges that appeared to go beyond what the companies needed to integrate Facebook into their systems, the records show. Facebook acknowledged that it did not consider any of those three companies to be service providers. Spokespeople for Spotify and Netflix said those companies were unaware of the broad powers Facebook had granted them. A Royal Bank of Canada spokesman disputed that the bank had any such access.

RBC? What?

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017

They may not have actively needed or used the functionality and they may have only wanted to view or accomplish a specific task, like a Messenger bot.

But the point is that they had access to the function regardless of if they took advantage of it. Facebook's security preferences and permissions are so shitty that a bank can look at your private messages without your express permission and with no way of turning it off.

Barzul

Oct 25, 2017
We were always the product and they milked us for everything. Think I'm actually going to delete my account. I held on to it for so long but I don't even see the point anymore. I haven't made a facebook post in like 5 years. I don't use it daily, but adding to the MUA numbers just makes me feel dirty kinda. They're the scum of tech companies, they make Twitter look good.

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago, IL United States
Phone calls. Email. Text.

You don't need a social media service to communicate with people.
You can share photos via email. You can talk to friends and family via phone.

I didn't say for me.

Now, let's try again. Name an alternative that I can convince friends and family to move to, who won't do as you're suggesting due to facebook's convenience.

Oct 27, 2017
Why do you need to convince anyone? You, just you, stop using it. And if people want to talk to you, do it through email or text or phone.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I find I need it to stay in touch with the casual acquaintances that I don't know well enough for a phone number, so basically stuck.

cheese toast

Oct 29, 2017
I didn't say for me.

Now, let's try again. Name an alternative that I can convince friends and family to move to, who won't do as you're suggesting due to facebook's convenience.
The thing that keeps people returning to Facebook is the people who use Facebook. The more who move away, the more that convenience is replaced with tumbleweeds.

Deleted member 19003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hardly ever use fb as it is, pretty much just on to stay connected to the occasional old friend and family who still use it a lot. I should probably delete it.

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You don't need it. But whatever, you're not looking to be convinced. Stay part of the problem.

And you're not reading my post. I didn't say for me.

I'm asking this question for people that I know, not in the forum bubble, who still use the platform. They won't be convinced by me simply saying 'just go back to the way things were'. They need a better, facebook-esque alternative.

The thing that keeps people returning to Facebook is the people who use Facebook. The more who move away, the more that convenience is replaced with tumbleweeds.

The only way for me to convince people to leave facebook is for that question to be answered. They want an alternative to it, not to exile from that convenience completely.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't say for me.

I personally use Nextdoor. More local, more business oriented. Somewhat similar. Try 'er out.

Edit* there's also Minds which I haven't delved in to much yet.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
If I delete Facebook how will I know what overpriced underwear brand to buy

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
There isn't one. And I know you don't want to hear this but they really don't need Facebook in their life. It's an addiction, and it isn't treated by giving them a better alternative drug.

Instead of suggesting another service I'll just link this: https://medium.com/@JBrown/9-ways-f...ental-health-and-what-you-can-do-b14d46725670

Then this solves nothing. Talking down to those people and telling them what they already know regarding addiction won't make them leave facebook. You need an actual legitimate competitor. While some or most of us on this forum may not mess with facebook anymore, it doesn't mean we represent the millions(or possible billions) who still do. That userbase is what should be aimed for in taking down facebook. The last real competitor that I know of to one of facebook's properties(Instagram) was Snapchat, and they screwed themselves over with terrible UI redesigns.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think you should talk down to them. I think you should try to frame this as a lifestyle choice to live healthier and happier. Unless they're extremely happy with Facebook.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
Why do you need to convince anyone? You, just you, stop using it. And if people want to talk to you, do it through email or text or phone.
I know a lot of people who try to quit Facebook thinking this and crawling back when they craters their social life. I dont know about the US but in Australia you'll find that basically nobody wants to talk to you enough to use email. Not to mention that because they're used to being reminded you exist they'll often just forget about you.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Here is the solution to those with social problems and leaving Facebook.

1. On your profile, unlike literally everything. Don't have a tv show, movie, book, band, anything, "liked". Make your profile as basic as possible.

2. Uninstall the phone apps.

3. Check face book once a day from a web browser for any events you get invited to.

So far this has worked like a dream. When I check via a web page, the feed will have 2-3 actual posts from my friends and that's it. Because I've unliked everything, it has no idea what it "should" show me.

MonoStable

Oct 27, 2017
I would leave Facebook today if I didn't need to promote events. I don't ever post anything personal or even interact with people I know on their anymore my wall is nothing but things I'm tagged in.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Other companies reading our private messages. Not surprised. I use Discord or Hangouts so its no real loss after ditching Facebook.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
I deleted (not deactivated) my profile. I doubt any of the data will actually be completely wiped knowing this company 🤷‍♂️.