• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LinktothePastGOAT

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mod Edit: Don't engage in conspiracy theories or amateur detective work in this thread.

Asia Argento, Who Accused Weinstein, Made Deal With Her Own Accuser - The New York Times https://apple.news/ArCC6SgRfRz2xA5PWzChk4A

But in the months that followed her revelations about Mr. Weinstein last October, Ms. Argento quietly arranged to pay $380,000 to her own accuser: Jimmy Bennett, a young actor and rock musician who said she had sexually assaulted him in a California hotel room years earlier, when he was only two months past his 17th birthday. She was 37. The age of consent in California is 18.
That claim and the subsequent arrangement for payments are laid out in documents between lawyers for Ms. Argento and Mr. Bennett, a former child actor who once played her son in a movie.

Also. What are your thoughts? He was 17 and she was 37.

Last edited by a moderator:

Downhome

Oct 27, 2017
Just got this alert form NYT. It is really too bad that something like this happened. Come on people...

Asia Argento, Who Accused Weinstein, Made Deal With Her Own Accuser https://nyti.ms/2ORO8Oz

The Italian actress and director Asia Argento was among the first women in the movie business to publicly accuse the producer Harvey Weinstein of sexual assault. She became a leading figure in the #MeToo movement. Her boyfriend, the culinary television star Anthony Bourdain, eagerly joined the fight.

But in the months that followed her revelations about Mr. Weinstein last October, Ms. Argento quietly arranged to pay $380,000 to her own accuser: Jimmy Bennett, a young actor and rock musician who said she had sexually assaulted him in a California hotel room years earlier, when he was only two months past his 17th birthday. She was 37. The age of consent in California is 18.

That claim and the subsequent arrangement for payments are laid out in documents between lawyers for Ms. Argento and Mr. Bennett, a former child actor who once played her son in a movie.

The documents, which were sent to The New York Times through encrypted email by an unidentified party, include a selfie dated May 9, 2013, of the two lying in bed. As part of the agreement, Mr. Bennett, who is now 22, gave the photograph and its copyright to Ms. Argento, now 42. Three people familiar with the case said the documents were authentic.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was really confused at the thread title.

G0T6ZYQ.png

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Disgusting then. I just don't understand how people can just subject others to the cruelty they faced. Sigh.

Also this just fuels the fire for the alt right.

TSSZNews

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I fear this will kill or hobble the movement if completely accurate (and it's NYT—accuracy almost certainly isn't a question.)

Weinstein's lawyers are probably salivating.

Oof.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yikes. What a complete hypocrite. She was so outspoken about abuse in Hollywood yet she had her own dirty laundry.

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
And she actually made the payment after Weinstein. Probably knew what would happen if this got out right after she revealed the Weinstein stuff.

Oct 27, 2017
I fear this will kill or hobble the movement if completely accurate (and it's NYT—accuracy almost certainly isn't a question.)
I think you're being dramatic if you think a single person will do anything to a movement that embodies the experiences of tons of people worldwide. I doubt this will be anything, but a blip and it won't suddenly invalidate the experience she or others have gone through. This will destroy HER. That's about it

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Who is saying otherwise, and further, why is this your first thought upon reading news she sexually assaulted a minor and then paid hush money to them?
Yeah I agree. I don't think there is anything wrong with pointing that out mind you considering we all know where this is going to go, but, that people aren't even commenting on the victim along with that gives me a bad impression.

Anthony Mooch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it wouldn't be that age of consent is 16 but they cant sleep with anyone older than 23. At 18 you can bang anyone of any age 16 or older. Its not a hard thing to figure out

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn it. People are going to use this to try and slander the whole thing. At least Tony ain't around to see this whole mess.

TSSZNews

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think you're being dramatic if you think a single person will do anything to a movement that embodies the experiences of tons of people worldwide. I doubt this will be anything, but a blip and it won't suddenly invalidate the experience she or others have gone through. This will destroy HER. That's about it

The alt-right is going to make sure this doesn't end at Argento. It certainly does not invalidate the horror she and others have endured. But if you see Me Too as a road to response, action, and prevention against those horrors once and for all, it is not good when one of the champions of said movement may herself be an abuser, and attempted to cover it up.

If nothing else, it is for sure deflating, which is exactly what those who'd rather not see the movement advance ultimately want: apathy.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everything is seen through the meta game. What does this mean for my team. It's a natural result of today's political scene and hurts lots of things in public discourse.

Oct 27, 2017
The alt-right is going to make sure this doesn't end at Argento. It certainly does not invalidate the horror she and others have endured. But if you see Me Too as a road to response, action, and prevention against those horrors once and for all, it is not good when one of the champions of said movement may herself be an abuser, and attempted to cover it up.
Al Franken being outed as having a history of sexual assaults and stuff didn't end up extending past him. I don't see this being any different